Ex-Deputy Sheriff Gets Maximum Sentence

Pompeed

Ex-Deputy Sheriff Gets Maximum Sentence

Post by Pompeed » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:44 am

Former reserve sheriff, Robert Bates, gets max of four years for death of Eric Harris.

His defense: Shooting Harris was not the cause of his death. Harris died as a consequence of heart failure / ingested substances / body reactions to shock.

www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts

Family Liberty Patriot

Re: Ex-Deputy Sheriff Gets Maximum Sentence

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:48 am

Let this be a lesson, you untrained cops who buy your way onto the force: you murder a blah man, you get four years, the MAX. :brickwallsmall:
Does the Sheriff's Office get to keep the toys he bought them so he could play cop?

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:50 pm

I’ll forgive Mr. Bates, but there are still consequences for your actions,” Fraley said.

“Four years to me doesn’t seem like anything when you compare it to a lifetime,” said Cathy Fraley, Aidan Fraley’s mother.
After Musseman delivered the sentence, Charlotte Bates told reporters she was “devastated.”

“My husband is a wonderful pillar of this community,” Charlotte Bates said. “It was a tragic accident, which we are all scarred for life because this man died. And to put my husband in prison for four years —my husband will die — and I want all of you to know you’re part of the responsibility for that.”
Seems she doesn't think that the death of Harris at her husband's hands is "devastating" to his family. and, European privilege

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:50 pm

That original story was posted around here somewhere when it happened.

Bates is the 74 year old guy who shot and killed a man. He claims he thought he had his taser.
On April 2, 2015, he was providing backup and parked several blocks away from an undercover officer conducting a sting operation to try to catch Eric Courtney Harris illegally selling a gun.

As deputies rolled up to arrest Harris that day, the suspect bolted and was pursued by officers, who caught him and took him to the ground. Bates got out of his vehicle and fired his pistol into Harris' back.

"Oh! I shot him! I'm sorry!" Bates said, as captured in a video of the shooting.

Authorities said Bates thought he pulled out his Taser but "inadvertently" fired his gun.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/31/us/oklaho ... our-years/

He had been previously investigated back in 2009 for his troublesome behavior.

But, he gave a bunch of money to the sheriff's department.

The judge took the jury's recommendation for sentencing. Four years for second-degree manslaughter.

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Vanity Deputy Sheriff Gets Maximum Sentence

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 am

Bates isn't an "ex-deputy" so much as a "vanity deputy sheriff."

Pompeed

Post by Pompeed » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:54 am

Now claimed that his health is so precarious that prison system cannot cope with his preexisting medical problems. That's the basis for his wife's claim that he will die in prison and his death will be on the heads of the judge and jury. :violin:

He preexisting medical problems did not keep him from running after a suspect whilst playing deputy and then drawing his weapon intending to subdue a suspect. He thought himself sufficiently healthy to report for such strenuous duties. Seems to me that doing time (he's eligible for parole in a matter of months) in a sedentary minimal prison setting is much less physically stressful if one has heart problems than being on duty chasing down suspects.

Just my opinion: doing a few months of incarceration is nothing compared to the permanent state of a man's death. Bought himself this time by paying to play deputy for the fun of it.

No tears from me. Guess that's obvious.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Funny, ain't it? He can play cops and robbers but pushing a mop around jail would just kill him. No sympathy from me as well.

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:09 pm

And to put my husband in prison for four years —my husband will die — and I want all of you to know you’re part of the responsibility for that.”
I can live with that.
I mean, I object to the death penalty, on principle, so I don't advocate for his death, but this turd's natural death will be another story, and I don't care if it happens before he lives another day as a free man. The man he murdered never will.

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Vanity Deputy Sheriff Gets Maximum Sentence

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:25 pm

And to put my husband in prison for four years —my husband will die — and I want all of you to know you’re part of the responsibility for that.
Funny thing. I thought her husband was entirely "responsib[le] for that."

Return to “Current Events”