Tornado Season 2016 -- Reporting Live from Central OK

phelana

Re: Tornado Season 2016 -- Reporting Live from Central OK

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 pm

What time do schools normally let out there? Ours here are out around 2:30 to 3:30. It seems awfully late even for holding the kids.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:10 pm

golf-ball size hail

but maybe-just maybe the tornadic threat is over....man I hope so

we have staggered release times

some middle school is out at 2;30, HS at 3;10 and elementary at 4;10

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Get something to eat. Never know if the power is going to go out. It's going to be a long night from the looks of the radar.

I've got to go shift a load of laundry but I'll be back in just a few minutes.

Beatrice: Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more. Men were deceivers ever. One foot in sea and one on shore, to one thing constant never. Then sigh not so but let them go and be you blithe and bonny, converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:20 pm

great idea.

thank you so much

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm back. Having a bite to eat myself.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:36 pm

If it calms down I may take a shower but right now we are getting large hail and heavy lightening

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:37 pm

yeah....I'd skip the shower for now. Maybe popcorn or chips. Crunchy food is supposed to be good for anxiety. I suspect that the noise distracts the mind.

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Still doing ok?

It might be a sleep on the closet floor night. I did that once. My apt. was on the second floor of a converted school building. The inner bedroom no windows and a pretty good closet. I pulled all the blankets and couch cushions in for a bed and crashed in there for the night.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:05 pm

doing okay.

feels like round 1 is over but round 2 is on its way

I did eat some chips a few minutes ago :)

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:07 pm

Good. Keep an eye on that cell to the SW. I hear rotation mentioned. You've got a good news station there.

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:14 pm

I'm back.

Looks like there's a long thin line of storms setting up SSW to NNE.

Sad-cafe, it sounds like tonight is going to be kind of a learning experience for you.

Amid all your time spent following news and broadcasts, and positioning yourself and your things -- take a moment to walk outside and just breathe in and feel the air. Learn the feeling, scent and texture of it. Consider the whole experience just part of nature.

People come to our Tornado Alley from all over the world this time of year just to get close and experience our dramatic weather. There is both power and beauty to it.

I'm not asking you to fall in love with it like some of us do. But taking a moment to breathe in the special stillness and scent of the atmosphere near a storm helps to put it into perspective.

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 pm

sad-cafe wrote:doing okay.

feels like round 1 is over but round 2 is on its way

I did eat some chips a few minutes ago :)
Rather than a full shower, maybe take a little "me-time" to go freshen your hair, wash off makeup if you wear any, and change into some jeans and hiking boots. Think of this time as kind of "adventure camping at home".

Chances of anything catastrophic actually happening exactly to you personally are extremely minuscule.

It's a learning experience and adventure. Maybe -- just maybe -- you can start to rethink the whole storm and tornado thing with a sense of wonder and awe at the forces of nature.

Eventually.

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:41 pm

We still good? It looks like more hail but no tornadic clouds from spotters.

YellowMustard

Post by YellowMustard » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm only watching on radar and that storm near Clearwater looks to have a lot of hail associated with it. Looks to be headed toward Wichita, maybe the western side. Doesn't appear to be rotating, but Wichita may get a bunch of hail soon.

----IANAL----

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought patriotism was something we share, not use against each other. - Mrs. Betty Bowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 pm

The storm spotters are getting bored. But one was just down that way getting nickel sized hail.

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:54 pm

thank you all

I feel much more relaxed

it is getting dark and we still have hail and lightening and thunder but I really feel we are out of the tornado risk for the most part.

you are all awesome for keeping me from going out of my mind with worry

and now we are getting hail again

I haven't checked my vehicle yet. I am sacred to go look

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:58 pm

Forget about the vehicle til morning. One of the spotters was talking about softball size hail on 235 near Meridian (I believe that was the cross street). Lots of water on the roads too.

Mockingbird...Keep an eye on that storm coming in from your SW. Looks like your night might get interesting after all.

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:59 pm

I'm gonna go shuffle some dishes. I'll check back in a bit.

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:15 pm

phelana wrote:Forget about the vehicle til morning. One of the spotters was talking about softball size hail on 235 near Meridian (I believe that was the cross street). Lots of water on the roads too.

Mockingbird...Keep an eye on that storm coming in from your SW. Looks like your night might get interesting after all.
Definitely!

Am propped up in bed, all devices charged or charging while in use, half an Army Surplus Store worth of gear laid out. 'Go bags' ready.

So it will all fizzle out. If, on the other hand, I were to be all in a commotion, with obligations elsewhere... That, now that would draw tornados. I firmly believe that.

YellowMustard

Post by YellowMustard » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:20 pm

The storm near Binger Oklahoma looks like a likely tornado on radar to me.

----IANAL----

Call me old fashioned, but I always thought patriotism was something we share, not use against each other. - Mrs. Betty Bowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xV8HHFtg7w

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:48 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
phelana wrote:Forget about the vehicle til morning. One of the spotters was talking about softball size hail on 235 near Meridian (I believe that was the cross street). Lots of water on the roads too.

Definitely!

Am propped up in bed, all devices charged or charging while in use, half an Army Surplus Store worth of gear laid out. 'Go bags' ready.

So it will all fizzle out. If, on the other hand, I were to be all in a commotion, with obligations elsewhere... That, now that would draw tornados. I firmly believe that.
exactly

think though that I will leave my 'to go bag' packed and in the closet

phelana

Post by phelana » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:59 pm

sad-cafe wrote:
Mockingbird wrote:

Definitely!

exactly

think though that I will leave my 'to go bag' packed and in the closet
That's a good plan. Have a good night

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:13 pm

again,

thank you all for talking me through this

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:19 pm

:bighug:

Mockingbird

Post by Mockingbird » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:44 pm

It's heeeeere... Hail, straight line winds.

Just regular nickel to quarter size hail, 60 mph winds

So far Torcon 7 Tornadogeddon has been a fail

Return to “Current Events”