Whose image should be on the new $10 bill?

Sterngard Friegen

Re: Whose image should be on the new $10 bill?

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:30 pm

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:07 am

Anita Bryant....
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:26 am

Seriously, Helen Keller.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:40 am

I am so enjoying the way that the conservatives are having a national, collective shit fit over this.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:34 pm

For some reason Harriet Tubman makes the reichtwingers go batshit. They've decided it was a wonderful thing for Andrew Jackson to kill Injuns (not what I remember him for). $20 bills have a lifespan of about 4 years, so the govt could change portraits at maybe 5 year (roughly) intervals. Keep one step ahead of counterfeiters. Also cause numismatists to take a lot of bills out of circulation, which (to my tiny mind) will slightly slow inflation. Eventually gratify all sorts of interest groups.

There is also a story that the $5 bill is being redesigned - not an explicit statement that Lincoln will be replaced but ....

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:59 pm

While looking up some incidental facts about this story, I found the following interesting

It seems there once was a Clinton on a bill

DeWitt Clinton.

The 1000 dollar Facepalm

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:49 am

Fortinbras wrote:For some reason Harriet Tubman makes the reichtwingers go batshit. They've decided it was a wonderful thing for Andrew Jackson to kill Injuns (not what I remember him for). $20 bills have a lifespan of about 4 years, so the govt could change portraits at maybe 5 year (roughly) intervals. Keep one step ahead of counterfeiters. Also cause numismatists to take a lot of bills out of circulation, which (to my tiny mind) will slightly slow inflation. Eventually gratify all sorts of interest groups.

There is also a story that the $5 bill is being redesigned - not an explicit statement that Lincoln will be replaced but ....
It takes longer than 5 years for them to even design a new bill, much less design it, produce the plates, get the required equipment in place and put it into circulation.
“The soonest that a new $20 note will be issued is 2030,” the source said, citing a lengthy process convened by the Advanced Counterfeit Deterrence steering committee, which includes representatives from the U.S. Secret Service, the Treasury, and the Federal Reserve.

That process isn’t likely to be sped up by the Federal Reserve, which issues the currency, given the work that goes into designing secure technology to thwart counterfeiters.
And the Federal Reserve says the lifespan of a $20 is about 8 years.
Denomination Estimated Lifespan*

$1 5.8 years
$5 5.5 years
$10 4.5 years
$20 7.9 years
$50 8.5 years
$100** 15.0 years
*Estimated lifespans as of December 2013. Because the $2 note does not widely circulate, we do not publish its estimated lifespan.
**Estimated lifespan as of December 2012. Because the Federal Reserve issued a redesigned $100 note in October 2013, we do not have sufficient data to provide an estimated note life for 2013.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/how ... -money.htm
And the $5 will have rotating portraits on the back.
The reverse of the $5 bill will also be redesigned to include opera singer Marian Anderson, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt and civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... story.html

bob

Post by bob » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:10 pm

Fortinbras wrote:For some reason Harriet Tubman makes the reichtwingers go batshit.
Gallups (and son) love the idea of Tubman on the $20 ... because she was a gun-toting Bible believer. :roll:
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

vic

Post by vic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:14 pm

https://twitter.com/chelseahandler/stat ... 4781009920

Couldn't resist adding the first couple of comments as well...
Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.13.31 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:58 pm

:rotflmao:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:12 pm

vic wrote:https://twitter.com/chelseahandler/stat ... 4781009920

Couldn't resist adding the first couple of comments as well...

Screen Shot 2017-09-01 at 9.13.31 AM.png
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Trump Administration Announces New $20 Bill Design Honoring Harriet Tubman’s Owners

WASHINGTON—Saying they wished to pay tribute to the legacies of these distinguished, law-abiding Americans, the Trump administration announced Friday that a long anticipated redesign of the $20 bill would honor Harriet Tubman’s owners. “These were patriotic business proprietors who followed the laws of their time to further their economic interests, and this new currency design finally recognizes these enterprising individuals for their success,” said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin at an afternoon press conference, explaining that the bills commemorating those responsible for enslaving the famed abolitionist, Civil War nurse, and women’s rights activist for the first three decades of her life would be in circulation by 2018. “For too long, we’ve overlooked the achievements of these upstanding citizens and prosperous agriculturalists. The new $20 note, which will feature a portrait of the Brodess family on the front and a depiction of the Maryland plantation they operated on the back, will at last give them their proper place in American history.” Mnuchin then sought to assuage any concerns about the decision, assuring those in attendance that the Trump White House was already looking into ways to preserve Andrew Jackson’s likeness by having it replace Abraham Lincoln on the $5 bill.
► Show Spoiler

vic

Post by vic » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:55 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Trump Administration Announces New $20 Bill Design Honoring Harriet Tubman’s Owners

WASHINGTON—Saying they wished to pay tribute to the legacies of these distinguished, law-abiding Americans, the Trump administration announced Friday that a long anticipated redesign of the $20 bill would honor Harriet Tubman’s owners. “These were patriotic business proprietors who followed the laws of their time to further their economic interests, and this new currency design finally recognizes these enterprising individuals for their success,” said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin at an afternoon press conference, explaining that the bills commemorating those responsible for enslaving the famed abolitionist, Civil War nurse, and women’s rights activist for the first three decades of her life would be in circulation by 2018. “For too long, we’ve overlooked the achievements of these upstanding citizens and prosperous agriculturalists. The new $20 note, which will feature a portrait of the Brodess family on the front and a depiction of the Maryland plantation they operated on the back, will at last give them their proper place in American history.” Mnuchin then sought to assuage any concerns about the decision, assuring those in attendance that the Trump White House was already looking into ways to preserve Andrew Jackson’s likeness by having it replace Abraham Lincoln on the $5 bill.
► Show Spoiler
:rotflmao: I really like Chelsea Handler, but theOnion wins this round. But it wasn't a fair contest - she could only use 140 characters.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:39 am

Actually Margaret Sanger is a good choice.

Also Helen Keller.

The US Treasury can emulate the British, who frequently change the portraits on their currency, having an almost endless supply of celebrated people in British history to draw upon. Significantly, they tend to use humanitarians, artists, scientists, and authors more than politicians.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:45 am

Has anyone suggested the obvious choice, our Dick Tater?

Australian banknotes are plastic and I believe they last a fair while. But when they wear out, they're recycled, most noticeably into garbage cans. I guess that means we're throwing our money away.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:59 am

maydijo wrote:Has anyone suggested the obvious choice, our Dick Tater?

Australian banknotes are plastic and I believe they last a fair while. But when they wear out, they're recycled, most noticeably into garbage cans. I guess that means we're throwing our money away.
I am happy to point out that Foggy lacks one of the most essential requirements for a person (other than a monarch) to be commemorated on a banknote: he is not dead.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:10 am

Fortinbras wrote:Actually Margaret Sanger is a good choice.

Also Helen Keller.

The US Treasury can emulate the British, who frequently change the portraits on their currency, having an almost endless supply of celebrated people in British history to draw upon. Significantly, they tend to use humanitarians, artists, scientists, and authors more than politicians.
I think I read some time ago that the Brits had an argument about the first woman to be depicted on a banknote: apparently the banknote designers were (are?) very keen on using hirsute Victorian gentlemen scientists (such as Charles Darwin) because straggling beards make forgery more difficult. So Florence Nightingale etc. had to wait until the trichophiles could be dissuaded from their objects of lust.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:59 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:

I am happy to point out that Foggy lacks one of the most essential requirements for a person (other than a monarch) to be commemorated on a banknote: he is not dead.
?

Easily solved - all hail King Dick Tater, first of his name.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:45 am

Yabbut then people will be saying "Dick's hat-band is made of sand." 8-)
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:23 am

maydijo wrote:
Sam the Centipede wrote:

?

Easily solved - all hail King Dick Tater, first of his name.
Err... that would be the monarch of the country issuing the banknotes, not just any monarch. Are you committing treason by attempting to usurp the legally but unfortunately elected President, the most Orange Shitgibbon? You might find yourself in difficulty at the border if you plan to re-enter the US!

tek

Post by tek » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:43 pm

with this administration?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:09 pm

:like:

Return to “Current Events”