Do You Uber? Do You Tip?

RTH10260

Re: Do You Uber? Do You Tip?

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:59 am

ZekeB wrote:I refuse to open any link that points to Faux News. Faux in not in my television channel guide also.
Alternate Fact ;)
UBER DEFENDS GREYBALLING, WHICH AUTHORITIES ALLEGE IS USED TO DECEIVE LAW ENFORCEMENT
By Bruce Brown — March 9, 2017 10:08 AM

Uber allegedly skirting law enforcement is another troubling issue for a company that has seen its share of legal trouble.

U.S. city and international authorities allege Uber has been systematically using a software tool called “Greyball” to elude law enforcement in areas where the ride-sharing service has been banned, according to The New York Times. Uber recently posted an explanation of its uses of “greyballing” in the company’s online newsroom defending the tool and announcing a review of past use.

Greyball is part of a larger program — violation of terms of service (VTOS) — the company uses to detect people it believes are misusing or targeting Uber’s ridesharing service. In Uber’s post, the company’s Chief Security Office Joe Sullivan wrote that greyballing is used to hide the regular Uber app screen from individual users in order to test new features by employees, for marketing promotions, to prevent fraud, protect drivers from physical harm, and “to deter riders using the app in violation of our terms of service.”
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/uber-reviw-greyball/

or:
http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/8/148640 ... legal-vtos
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/03/tech ... ities.html
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... t-its-way/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Uber president Jeff Jones is quitting, citing differences over ‘beliefs and approach to leadership’
He is leaving after apparently deciding the current controversies are too much to handle.

BY KARA SWISHER AND JOHANA BHUIYAN MAR 19, 2017, 4:33PM EDT

Jeff Jones, the president of Uber, is quitting the car-hailing company after less than a year. The move by the No. 2 exec, said sources, is directly related to the multiple controversies there, including explosive charges of sexism and sexual harassment.

(Update: Uber confirmed the departure, saying in a statement: “We want to thank Jeff for his six months at the company and wish him all the best.” And, in a note to staff, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick said: “After we announced our intention to hire a COO, Jeff came to the tough decision that he doesn’t see his future at Uber. It is unfortunate that this was announced through the press but I thought it was important to send all of you an email before providing comment publicly.”)

(Update: Jones also confirmed the departure with a blistering assessment of the company. “It is now clear, however, that the beliefs and approach to leadership that have guided my career are inconsistent with what I saw and experienced at Uber, and I can no longer continue as president of the ride-sharing business,” he said in a statement to Recode.)

Jones, said sources, determined that this was not the situation he signed on for, especially after Uber CEO Travis Kalanick announced a search for a new COO to help him right the very troubled ship.

That was not the reason for Jones’s departure, sources said, even though it meant that Kalanick was bringing in a new exec who could outrank him. Instead, these sources said, Jones determined that the situation at the company was more problematic than he realized.
http://www.recode.net/2017/3/19/1497611 ... ones-quits

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Uber said to use “sophisticated” software to defraud drivers, passengers
Uber has devised a "clever and sophisticated" scheme in which it manipulates navigation data used to determine "upfront" rider fare prices while secretly short-changing the driver, according to a proposed class-action lawsuit against the ride-hailing app.

When a rider uses Uber's app to hail a ride, the fare the app immediately shows to the passenger is based on a slower and longer route compared to the one displayed to the driver. The software displays a quicker, shorter route for the driver. But the rider pays the higher fee, and the driver's commission is paid from the cheaper, faster route, according to the lawsuit.

In the end, the rider pays a higher fee because the software calculates a longer route and displays that to the passenger. Yet the driver is paid a lower rate based on a quicker route, according to the suit. Uber keeps "the difference charged to the User and the fare reported to the driver, in addition to the service fee and booking fee disclosed to drivers," according to the suit.
The manipulation of prices between the amount charged to Users and the amount reported to drivers is clever and sophisticated. The software utilized in determining the upfront price is specifically designed to provide a route distance and time estimate based on traffic conditions and other variables but not to determine the shortest/quickest reasonable route based on those conditions. Meanwhile, the software utilized in the driver’s application, which navigates the drivers to the User’s destination, utilizes traffic conditions and other variables to provide the driver with a more efficient, shorter, or quicker route to the User’s destination, resulting in a lower fare payout to the driver.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:10 pm

Sounds like the computer engineers at Volkswagen Diesel have found new jobs.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:16 pm

For my current status, see Dirk thank.

That said - London black cans knock uber down, take their lunch money, and just generally kick them too shit.
I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Mikedunford wrote:For my current status, see Dirk thank.

That said - London black cans knock uber down, take their lunch money, and just generally kick them too shit.
:shock:

Can you translate that into Amurrican for me?

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 pm

Just need to get out your single malt to English dictionary.
"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Huh. I experienced that recently.

I'm an infrequent Uber rider. I've only taken it twice, both times to the same place, to pick up my freshly-serviced car. This last time my driver, who is George Harrison in his other job, a Beatles tribute band (Four Lads from Liverpool), told me the fare probably wasn't much over $5 (they aren't "allowed", he said, to see quoted fare); the app told me $13.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:52 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Sure: "Don't drink with Europeans."
I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:00 pm

:swoon:

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:19 pm

AmEx Platinum just added a free $15 credit per month and VIP status, the card just has to be linked on the account.
Uber — $200 in annual ride credits and Uber VIP status (access to better cars, more experienced drivers in select locations). Members with a Platinum card linked to their Uber account will receive $15 in credit automatically each month, and $35 in December. You can use the credit on multiple rides, but the balance will expire at the end of the month it’s issued. This benefit alone will offset the increased annual fee, assuming you regularly ride with Uber. The discount will only apply to rides within the US, and there’s no requirement to pay the balance with an Amex card
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/huge-a ... rovements/
From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:28 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Sterngard Friegen wrote:

Sure: "Don't drink with Europeans."
Would that be Dutch Europeans, French Europeans, Czech Europeans or ? Rumor has it there's a bit of a difference ;)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:52 am

I have somewhat limited experience with Uber, but am starting to think I'd rather take a cab. We've used it in DC, NYC, and Pittsburgh, maybe one or two other places. In DC, we had one driver who never spoke and another one who spouted anti-gay Christian Bible verses! In NYC, there was some glitch in the app, and we ended up using the yellow cab services (understand there's a good app for them as some women on the train returning told us). The last time we used it in Pittsburgh, I thought the driver was going to dump us out of the car. We were going into downtown from one of the Pittsburgh neighborhoods for Light-Up Night, staying overnight with our granddaughter. He knew where we were going so if he didn't want to go into the traffic nightmare that trip entailed, he could have just not taken us. Instead he grumbled all the way into downtown about having to take us into downtown for Light-Up Night. It wasn't a pleasant experience and they considered it a high-rate trip. Maybe this year we'll take a bus, but in November the weather is not necessarily great and we have luggage, although just small pieces for a two-night stay, but this year we will take two grandkids, so a bus doesn't really sound like a good option. :?

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:02 am

We've only used Uber in Wellington. All the drivers were lovely, but then I think there's a law that Kiwis have to be nice. (Most disappointingly, Wellington doesn't have a single monument to Brent and Jermaine, even though they are New Zealand's second most popular acoustic folk duo.)

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:18 pm

Uber registers $2.8bn loss in 2016 expansion drive
https://www.ft.com/content/52b54056-214 ... 3f5a7f229c
Uber recorded a $2.8bn loss in 2016 in the middle of an aggressive global expansion, cementing its place as the most heavily-lossmaking private company in the history of Silicon Valley.

:snippity:

As the most highly-valued private technology company in the world, the group has raised eyebrows over how quickly it has burnt through cash as it has expanded to more than 70 countries and pumped money into incentive payments for drivers.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:48 pm

I guess I'll be using Uber this weekend. What was the CW on tipping/how do I calculate it?

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:06 am

Tipping's not required, but a lot of drivers factor it in the star rating they give you. Depends on the fare but I usually give them something in cash, even $2-5 is nice, then it's 5 for 5 (stars). From last year:
Uber Under the Hood
Insights and updates from the Uber public policy team
Apr 28, 2016
Our Approach to Tipping

Last week, we settled two class-action lawsuits in California and Massachusetts. As part of that settlement, we agreed to clarify our approach to tipping, so here goes.

When we started Uber six years ago, we thought long and hard about whether to build a tipping option into the app. In the end, we decided against including one because we felt it would be better for riders and drivers to know for sure what they would pay or earn on each trip — without the uncertainty of tipping.

That’s still the case today. Tipping is not included, nor is it expected or required. In fact riders tell us that one of the things they like most about Uber is that it’s hassle-free. And that’s how we intend to keep it.
From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:01 pm

Uber’s C.E.O. Plays With Fire
Travis Kalanick’s drive to win in life has led to a pattern of risk-taking that has at times put his ride-hailing company on the brink of implosion.

By MIKE ISAACAPRIL 23, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO — Travis Kalanick, the chief executive of Uber, visited Apple’s headquarters in early 2015 to meet with Timothy D. Cook, who runs the iPhone maker. It was a session that Mr. Kalanick was dreading.

For months, Mr. Kalanick had pulled a fast one on Apple by directing his employees to help camouflage the ride-hailing app from Apple’s engineers. The reason? So Apple would not find out that Uber had been secretly identifying and tagging iPhones even after its app had been deleted and the devices erased — a fraud detection maneuver that violated Apple’s privacy guidelines.

But Apple was onto the deception, and when Mr. Kalanick arrived at the midafternoon meeting sporting his favorite pair of bright red sneakers and hot-pink socks, Mr. Cook was prepared. “So, I’ve heard you’ve been breaking some of our rules,” Mr. Cook said in his calm, Southern tone. Stop the trickery, Mr. Cook then demanded, or Uber’s app would be kicked out of Apple’s App Store.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/23/tech ... ipice.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Uber in Europe, this case in a Spanish court
European court aide rules Uber is a transport company

Uber is a transport firm that requires a licence to operate, a senior member of European Union's top court has said.

The decision is a set-back for Uber, which had argued it only provided technology to help drivers find passengers.

If the ruling is enforced across Europe, it might mean Uber has to operate under the same conditions and safety rules as established taxi firms.
Uber said the decision did little to change the way it was regulated.

Reform needed

Maciej Szpunar, advocate general at the Court of Justice of the European Union, made the decision while considering a case brought by an association of taxi drivers from Barcelona.

They said Uber was competing unfairly in the city by using unlicensed drivers for its service.

Mr Szpunar said that although Uber was "innovative", the way it operated still fell within the realm of transport rather than information services.

Uber was not merely a middleman, he said, but was essential to the way the ride-sharing system worked.

"Uber can thus be required to obtain the necessary licences and authorisations under national law," said Mr Szpunar.

The decision is not binding, but in the past judges ruling on cases before the court have generally followed the advocate's lead.

For Uber, the decision might mean it has to take more care of its drivers and ensure they are properly trained.

The decision could also have implications for other tech companies, such as Airbnb and Deliveroo, that maintain a "hands-off" relationship with people who provide their services.

In response, Uber said it was already regulated as a transport operator in many European countries so the ruling would have little impact.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39882766

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:46 am

David Bonderman Resigns From Uber Board After Sexist Remark
By MIKE ISAAC and SUSAN CHIRAJUNE 13, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO — David Bonderman, an Uber board member and partner at private equity firm TPG, resigned from the board of the ride-hailing company after he made a disparaging remark about women at an Uber meeting on Tuesday.

Earlier in the day at an Uber staff meeting to discuss the company’s culture, Arianna Huffington, another board member, talked about how one woman on a board often leads to more women joining a board.“Actually, what it shows is that it’s much more likely to be more talking,” Mr. Bonderman responded.

Attendees were aghast at the exchange, especially at a time when Uber has been trying to overcome a series of scandals over corporate misbehavior, including sexual harassment claims. The company on Tuesday released a 13-page document outlining recommendations it planned to adopt to bring more accountability to executives at Uber for their actions and to increase board oversight. Travis Kalanick, Uber’s chief executive, also said he would take a leave of absence from the company.

After the staff meeting, employees angry at Mr. Bonderman’s remarks sent numerous emails to their managers and to Liane Hornsey, Uber’s head of human resources, according to people with knowledge of the situation, who asked to remain anonymous because the details are confidential.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/tech ... erman.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:22 pm

Uber Embraces Major Reforms as Travis Kalanick, the C.E.O., Steps Away
By MIKE ISAACJUNE 13, 2017

SAN FRANCISCO — In Uber’s continuing attempt to repair its reputation over a series of scandals stemming from its bad-boy culture, its co-founder Travis Kalanick said he would take a leave of absence as chief executive. The company also announced it would embark on a sweeping reorganization to ensure that executives are more closely supervised by its board of directors.

At a packed meeting with employees on Tuesday morning, Uber released 13 pages of recommendations compiled as part of an investigation into sexual harassment and other wrongdoing conducted by the former attorney general Eric H. Holder Jr. and his law firm, Covington & Burling.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/tech ... eport.html

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 am

The Guardian
Homeless, assaulted, broke: drivers left behind as Uber promises change at the top ...

Around the time Uber’s San Francisco staff was informed that their chief executive was taking an indefinite break from his company, Dante was waking up in his car on a quiet street not far from downtown Los Angeles. The 28-year-old rolled up his sleeping bag, put it in the trunk with his pillow and drove off to get breakfast before picking up his first Uber passenger. ...

Yet the most remarkable aspect of Uber’s calamitous staff meeting was not necessarily Bonderman’s misogynistic remark, or even the findings of the review led by the law firm of the former US attorney general Eric Holder. It was a subject that was barely mentioned at the meeting: the increasingly frustrated and demoralised workforce of Uber drivers – some of whom, like Dante, have been rendered homeless.

To some labor activists, the major ethical failing that should be inspiring bold promises of change at Uber is not so much the treatment of its well-paid tech workers, but the plight of its impoverished drivers, who are earning low and unstable wages in a job without security or benefits, or struggling to pay off loans for their Uber cars – debts that some have equated to dodgy subprime mortgages.

Classified as contractors, the drivers have little recourse to deal with a litany of workplace challenges and hazards, including wage cuts by the company, harassment and sexual assault by passengers and a rating system that some say is plagued by racial biases. It is well-known that Uber has done battle with labor organising efforts and traditional taxi regulations in markets across the world.

What is only now starting to become more apparent, however, is how Uber’s aggressive global expansion and alleged neglect of its workforce has left at least some of these workers with no option but to live in parking lots and on street corners. Including in LA, one of Uber’s most successful cities, and the place where Kalanick was born
¡Qué vergüenza!

Techno Luddite

Post by Techno Luddite » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:11 am

I know people who do "Uber" and they make a willful choice to do it. I personally love the service. It's much easier than calling a cab, usually quicker, and the quality of service is just as good. Cheaper by far, too. I am pro - uber.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:13 am

I am not sure that I can do Uber from this rural setting. And before I do, I have questions about license standards, insurance, liability, etc. Moreover, I think Uber is a way to further harm unionized taxi drivers.
http://www.newsweek.com/new-york-taxis- ... ban-550444
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:13 pm

We've been Ubering pretty exclusively, except for cab stands. I have had too many tiffs with the local cab companies in the last year. Traffic downtown is way too crowded for Uber IMHO.

I am bothered by the class issues. Uber requires a healthy investment in a vehicle, although they have started a leasing/buying program which has come under fire for predatory practices lately. OTOH, Cab companies really rake over the drivers. It's a :pickle:
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Return to “Current Events”