Do You Uber? Do You Tip?

bob

Re: Do You Uber? Do You Tip?

Post by bob » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:12 am

For those who use Uber, why it and not one of its competitors, like Lyft?
Imagex4 Imagex2 Imagex2 Imagex2

Techno Luddite

Post by Techno Luddite » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:24 am

Cabs have their downsides. There's a lot of protectionism and sleazy business that goes on in the cab industries in some locales.

And the last few times I've hailed a cab (I lived semi rural for a while and couldn't get an Uber or Lyft) I got sketchy people as drivers, people intentionally driving slow, taking bad routes even though I told them the correct route, etc. And then there's THIS story from the local news. http://www.ocregister.com/2011/01/07/ca ... uestioned/

When I have been in a location where I could get an Uber, it's been much more pleasant and the drivers were people I was much more comfortable around.

Techno Luddite

Post by Techno Luddite » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:26 am

bob wrote:For those who use Uber, why it and not one of its competitors, like Lyft?
I've never tried Lyft. But I would.

Somerset

Post by Somerset » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:15 am

bob wrote:For those who use Uber, why it and not one of its competitors, like Lyft?
I used Lyft in the US, DiDi in China and Grab in Singapore and Philippines.

I can't speak much to Uber. I've only used it a couple of times. The Lyft drivers I've spoken with tell me that most of them drive for both - they take jobs wherever they come from.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Most of the drivers in State College PA drive for both. (When I was last back there, I took Uber instead of the cabs as my deadbeat tenant was a cab driver and I didn't want to interact.) They told me Lyft doesn't have peak pricing.

Some of their stories:
Longest rides were from local airport to Philadelphia or Dulles airports. Fare is about $300, but if you miss your local flight you gotta get to the big airport anyway. Not that many flights a day. Fairly common trip for them.

Lyft is better at anticipating volume. Someone looks at local venue schedules and notifies drivers 100 miles or so away that on Saturday, there's a big concert so get your car over there for it.

Uber pricing after a football game can be hundreds of dollars to go 2 miles, and people pay it. The drivers turn off Lyft for games.

Uber and Lyft customers are almost exclusively young people. I always got comments as I am not a young person. Very common ride is from the apartments North of campus to class. The kids don't care about peak pricing as it's not their credit cards being hit, it's the parents' cards. 8:45-9:00 in the morning, fare can be $25-35, 9:01+ it's $6-8.

Most of the cab drivers I've had over the years have been very local. (What class at State High were you?) With Uber, they are usually from the hinterlands up to 75 miles away. Much lower housing costs. Anybody who has a nice car drives with Uber/Lyft, if they can't afford that they drive cab.

In 40+ years, I never had a foreign-born cab driver. All drivers were white. Uber/Lyft was much more diverse, even if the Arab name one couldn't find the damn building I was in! :boxing: Dinged me for a cancelled call even though I gave him great details on how to find me. :waiting: :cussing:

Only had one Uber female driver. She had a primary job and only drove an hour before work, lunch, and an hour after work. She said the most lucrative time was evenings 10-2, but it was too dangerous for her.
Edit: added corrections
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:04 am

Bloomberg
Uber Pushed the Limits of the Law. Now Comes the Reckoning

Shortly after taking over Uber Technologies Inc. in September, Dara Khosrowshahi told employees to brace for a painful six months. U.S. officials are looking into possible bribes, illicit software, questionable pricing schemes and theft of a competitor’s intellectual property. The very attributes that, for years, set the company on a rocket-ship trajectory—a tendency to ignore rules, to compete with a mix of ferocity and paranoia—have unleashed forces that are now dragging Uber back down to earth.

Uber faces at least five criminal probes from the Justice Department—two more than previously reported. Bloomberg has learned that authorities are asking questions about whether Uber violated price-transparency laws, and officials are separately looking into the company’s role in the alleged theft of schematics and other documents outlining Alphabet Inc.’s autonomous-driving technology. Uber is also defending itself against dozens of civil suits, including one brought by Alphabet that’s scheduled to go to trial in December.

Some governments, sensing weakness, are moving toward possible bans of the ride-hailing app. London, one of Uber’s most profitable cities, took steps to outlaw the service, citing “a lack of corporate responsibility” and specifically, company software known as Greyball, which is the subject of yet another U.S. probe. (Uber said it didn’t use the program to target officials in London, as it had elsewhere, and will continue to operate there while it appeals a ban.) Brazil is weighing legislation that could make the service illegal—or at least treat it more like a taxi company, which is nearly as offensive in the eyes of Uber.

Interviews with more than a dozen current and former employees, including several senior executives, describe a widely held view inside the company of the law as something to be tested. Travis Kalanick, the co-founder and former CEO, set up a legal department with that mandate early in his tenure. The approach created a spirit of rule-breaking that has now swamped the company in litigation and federal inquisition, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing sensitive matters.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 am

Uber is beginning to sound like the Scientology of taxi cabs.

Ride at your own risk.

Return to “Current Events”