Do You Uber? Do You Tip?

Maybenaut

Re: Do You Uber? Do You Tip?

Post by Maybenaut »

For a long time I wouldn’t ride in either Uber or Lyft, on principle. For reasons of my own, I was worried about the effect that ridesharing would have on the unionized Taxi drivers. Then I went out to Los Angeles, and needed a ride and my friend told me that the taxi system out there wasn’t terribly reliable and that I should try Uber or Lyft.

That was right after the very first Muslim ban and Uber was offering discounts on rides to and from JFK when the taxi drivers in New York were staging at work shut down and protest. Also around that time Uber was accused of stealing Googles intellectual property. So I decided that I’d never use Uber. And I never have. But circumstances alter cases, and if I’m ever in a situation like Vic was in, and I needed Uber Assist, I might take another look. That was such a great story!

I’ve taken Lyft a bunch of times, and I really like it. And I tip quite generously (I can afford it, and your hourly rate shouldn’t be a gamble). I never have cash on me, so I always tip through the app. Sometimes I forget, and end up tipping the next day. And if the driver had to wait for my tip, the tip is going to be very big.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Uber rang in its IPO with champagne and mimosas. Then the hangover began.

One employee handed in her resignation. A party had to be shut down. Another employee was talked out of driving home.

By Faiz Siddiqui May 17 at 12:01 PM

SAN FRANCISCO — Uber shut down a party at a satellite California office and at least one employee resigned after some celebrations marking its initial public offering last week got out of hand, according to current and former employees, a setback for the company’s efforts to change its corporate culture.

Those people said that the celebrations, which kicked off with company-provided mimosas on the day of one of the largest public offerings in recent history, made them feel uncomfortable and seemed immature — especially as Uber’s stock price plunged, erasing billions of dollars of value. It also reminded some of a more toxic company culture Uber has been striving to erase, causing something of a hangover.

“Old Uber hid themselves until today apparently,” said one employee, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because that person was not authorized to speak publicly.

Over the past two years, Uber has been working to reform its image after female employees accused the company of failing to address allegations of sexual harassment and of fostering a “tech bro” atmosphere. Investors pushed out Uber’s longtime chief executive, and the company hired a former U.S. attorney general to conduct a study of its workplace culture. That resulted in a 13-page report that provided new employee guidelines, including suggesting limiting the availability of alcohol in the workplace and de-emphasizing alcohol as a component of work events.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ver-began/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

There are no words for Uber’s latest perk
Uber launched a new "quiet mode" for riders.
By Rachel Siegel May 17 at 1:31 PM

People have all sorts of feelings about Uber’s new “quiet mode.” (Just don’t ask them to voice those feelings when they’re inside the car, because, well, you know.)

Earlier this week, Uber rolled out options for riders to customize their trips. Need help with luggage? On it. Need extra time to reach your pickup spot? Yep, okay. Want to control the temperature of your car before you even get in? Um, sure.

None of the perks, though, drew quite as much chatter as Uber’s new “quiet mode.” Think of it like a self-enforced Amtrak Quiet Car. Or your own personal library. Or a somewhat awkward drive from point A to point B in which you communicate to your driver that you don’t want them talking to you.

For its part, Uber said it wouldn’t use the data to pair individual riders with drivers. And the ride-hailing giant said it wouldn’t add an additional cost for the perks, which are available for Uber Black and Uber Black SUV rides.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... test-perk/

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 4:41 pm
There are no words for Uber’s latest perk
Uber launched a new "quiet mode" for riders.
By Rachel Siegel May 17 at 1:31 PM

People have all sorts of feelings about Uber’s new “quiet mode.” (Just don’t ask them to voice those feelings when they’re inside the car, because, well, you know.)

Earlier this week, Uber rolled out options for riders to customize their trips. Need help with luggage? On it. Need extra time to reach your pickup spot? Yep, okay. Want to control the temperature of your car before you even get in? Um, sure.

None of the perks, though, drew quite as much chatter as Uber’s new “quiet mode.” Think of it like a self-enforced Amtrak Quiet Car. Or your own personal library. Or a somewhat awkward drive from point A to point B in which you communicate to your driver that you don’t want them talking to you.

For its part, Uber said it wouldn’t use the data to pair individual riders with drivers. And the ride-hailing giant said it wouldn’t add an additional cost for the perks, which are available for Uber Black and Uber Black SUV rides.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... test-perk/
W2 wants this for regular Uber rides. Maine drivers are a bit chatty.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

We have had Uber drivers who never shut up and drivers who never say a word. I don't care for either extreme. But that's true of taxi drivers, too. We used taxi cabs in Chicago last week. The ones to and from the hotel barely said a word. The cab driver who picked us up at the Amtrak station in Pittsburgh when we got home never stopped talking, but he was engaging.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

From the drivers perspective, they’re trying to get the 5 stars and don’t know whether the passenger wants to talk or not. And honestly a good chat with a passenger can make a shift a lot better.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Behave or you will not get a ride!
Safety and respect for all
Written byKate Parker, Head of Safety Brand and Initiatives

We all belong to different communities that teach us the importance of treating everyone with respect and looking out for one another. When we created our global Community Guidelines in 2016, we had these common values in mind.

Today we’re refreshing these guidelines to make them simpler and clearer. Since everyone on our platform is expected to follow these guidelines, it’s important to ensure people see and understand them. That’s why we’re taking the following steps:

Ensuring Everyone Gets It

Starting with the U.S. and Canada, Uber riders and partners will see a full screen summary of the Community Guidelines and be asked to confirm that they understand or they may lose access to Uber.

Ratings-based Rider Deactivations

Riders may lose access to Uber if they develop a significantly below average rating. Riders will receive tips on how to improve their ratings, such as encouraging polite behavior, avoiding leaving trash in the vehicle and avoiding requests for drivers to exceed the speed limit. Riders will have several opportunities to improve their rating prior to losing access to the Uber apps.

Respect is a two-way street, and so is accountability. Drivers have long been expected to meet a minimum rating threshold which can vary city to city. While we expect only a small number of riders to ultimately be impacted by ratings-based deactivations, it’s the right thing to do.

https://www.uber.com/newsroom/safety-an ... t-for-all/

Jerry Mander

Post by Jerry Mander »

I always tip.

Uber/Lyft drivers have told me that most people do not tip, however.

Lani

Post by Lani »

I goofed once and didn't tip. My bad. Mostly I use Uber for business trips and am not reimbursed for tips, which is dumb. So I pay with no tip to get a "clean" receipt, then add a tip a few minutes later.

Uber has improved a lot. 3 years ago, I was in a 24 pound, folding wheelchair and attempting to use the app for the first time. I wanted to be sure the car I picked had room for it. (Duh, if it could hold a large suitcase, it could transport my chair.) So I contacted customer service to ask about choosing the right car. The answer - use a different service. Wrong answer.

I was at the biggest annual ADA symposium in the nation. And as fate would have it, at least two attorneys from state attorney offices were talking about potential lawsuits against Uber for discrimination. So I forwarded the email to them :lol: Showed them there was a case to be made. And I used Uber anyway. Just got in the car, folded up the chair, and handed it to the driver.

Anyhoo, I now travel off island at least monthly using a scooter. (I do walk, but for short distances.) I was using vans with lifts, but a lot of wait time was involved. So I decided to use Uber. OMG, what a difference! I booked Uber, then waited at the curb with the scooter broken down into 4 pieces. The heaviest is 30 pounds. The driver put them in the trunk and off we went! No problem! Been using it since then. One driver told me he picked up a lot of people at the airport with mobility equipment. No big deal.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Ouch. Heads up if you plan Uber or Lyft after 10/28:
Report: LAX to Move Ride-Share Pickups Away From Terminals
Move believed to be a means of easing roadway congestion
LAX is set to make a bold move to reduce traffic on airport roadways.
BY TOBIAS CARROLL / OCTOBER 5, 2019 6:00 AM

What happens when you have an increase in rideshare vehicles at an airport that’s already undergoing extensive renovations? In the case of LAX, you may have a tipping point for roadway congestion that makes getting to and from terminals increasingly more difficult — turning what should be a seamless operation into one beset by obstacles to travelers at all stages of their trips.

Los Angeles International Airport has a bold plan to improve conditions — but it might add a step for travelers taking Uber or Lyft home from the airport. In 2028, Los Angeles will host the Summer Olympics; in advance of that, LAX is undergoing a massive upgrade. That’s great in the long run, but in the short term, it means that construction may impede traffic at an already-busy airport. LAX isn’t the only airport where this is taking place — New York City’s LaGuardia Airport was beset with congestion issues this summer — but it’s one of the highest-profile examples of it.

Now, Skift is reporting that LAX will move ride-share pickups away from terminals and into a parking lot elsewhere at the airport. Travelers looking to use Uber or Lyft will need to board a shuttle bus conveying them to the new pickup spot when the new policy takes into effect on October 29. This policy will not affect drop-offs at the airport, according to the article.
https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/ ... -terminals
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season coming in March on weTV!

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

:P Fogbowzers knew about this way in advance... LAX-it is here! What a nightmare. I mostly use John Wayne (Orange County) anyway, LAX is so fucked it takes about the same amount of time and John Wayne is a happy little airport.
Navigating the New Pickup System at LAX
Monday: It’s certainly a change. Also: President Trump targets Gov. Gavin Newsom on Twitter (again).
By Jill Cowan Nov. 4, 2019, 9:07 a.m. ET

Few things unite Californians — or really anyone who’s ever been to LAX — quite like complaining about traffic at LAX. Last week, though, travelers were introduced to a new part of the Los Angeles International Airport experience that has sent the usual griping into overdrive. Search “LAX-it” on Twitter and you’d think some sort of Thunderdome had opened just east of Terminal 1. The words “chaos” and “nightmare” appear frequently.

But, no: LAX-it — pronounced, for what it’s worth, “L.A. exit” — is just the expansive new lot where you’ll have to catch your Lyft, Uber or taxi, since almost all curbside ride-share and taxi pickups are now banned. The move, airport officials have said, is part of plans to alleviate traffic as construction continues on an automated people mover that’s set to be running by 2023 — ideally well ahead of the 2028 Olympics.

Predictably, LAX-it’s opening days were rough. The Los Angeles Times reported that travelers and drivers were enraged by hourlong wait times and mass confusion on Tuesday, the lot’s opening day. Shortly thereafter, Los Angeles World Airports, the city agency that runs LAX, apologized for the delays and announced that it was adding more shuttles, more signage and more staff members to help move the lines along.

On Sunday, after having stepped off an early-morning flight from Florida, I joined the wandering hordes. I survived. When I was somewhere over Texas, I checked the airport’s Twitter, which has started posting average wait times for Lyfts, Ubers and taxis. Waits were just a few minutes, but lengthened as the day wore on.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/us/l ... artner=rss
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favorite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season coming in March on weTV!

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

UK
Uber loses license in London over safety, vows to appeal
London’s transit operator says it is not renewing Uber’s license to operate in the British capital

KELVIN CHAN Associated Press
25 November 2019, 12:29

London’s transit authority on Monday refused to renew Uber’s license to operate, putting the ride-hailing company’s future in the British capital in doubt.

It’s the latest chapter in Uber’s rocky history with London transport officials, who have been subjecting the San Francisco-based company to ever tighter scrutiny over concerns about passenger safety and security.

Uber vowed to appeal the decision, which it called “extraordinary and wrong.” The company, which has 21 days to file an appeal, can continue operating while the appeals process is under way.

Transport for London cited “several breaches that placed passengers and their safety at risk” in its decision not to extend Uber’s license, which expires at midnight Monday.

The transit authority, known as TFL, said that despite addressing some issues, it “does not have confidence that similar issues will not reoccur in the future.”

As a result, it deemed Uber “not fit and proper at this time.”

The company fired back, pointing out that TFL had found it to be fit and proper in September, when it was given a two-month license renewal.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSto ... s-67286700

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I recently had a reason to use Uber or Lyft. The wife of an Uber driver suggested that I use Lyft, she said her husband drives for both and, at least in my area, Lyft cost less than Uber. So, I signed up for Lyft and it was a great experience. I had a very nice driver, he was friendly but not overly talkative. He knew that it was my first Lyft experience and he offered to give me lots of tips and information that would help me in any future experience. Obviously I gave him a large tip. I wouldn't hesitate to use that service again if the need arises.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Uber discloses 3,000 reports of sexual assault on U.S. rides last year in its long-awaited safety study

By Faiz SiddiquiDecember 5 at 9:17 PM

Uber has disclosed that 3,000 sexual assaults were reported on its U.S. rides last year, the first time it has revealed the scale of the safety problem that exists at ride-hailing companies.

The reported assaults were part of Uber’s long-awaited safety study, published Thursday amid widespread and ongoing criticism of its safety practices and pressure to increase its transparency about the issue.

In the lengthy report, which divides sexual misconduct into 21 categories but focuses on the five most serious, Uber said it recorded 235 rapes last year and thousands more reports of assault that could involve unwanted touching, kissing or attempted rape. The reports involved drivers and passengers. The company tallied roughly 6,000 reports of those types of assault in 2017 and 2018.

The report also examined other safety categories, including motor-vehicle deaths and violent crimes such as physical assaults. Uber said there were 107 motor-vehicle fatalities in 2017 and 2018, with a total of 97 fatal crashes involving users on the app. The company also said there were 19 fatal physical assaults over the same time period, during which it said an average of more than 3.1 million trips took place each day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ty-report/

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Uber’s ride-hailing business hit with ban in Germany
Natasha Lomas@riptari / 4:54 pm CET • December 19, 2019

German Court Bans Uber Service Nationwide

Another legal blow for Uber in Europe: A regional court in Frankfurt has banned the company from sending ride-hailing requests to rental car companies via its app — with the court finding multiple competition violations.

The ruling, over Uber’s dispatching process, follows a legal challenge brought by a German taxi association.

In Germany, Uber’s ride-hailing business works exclusively with professional and licensed private-hire vehicle (PHV) companies — whose drivers and cars have the necessary licenses and permits to transport passengers. So the court ban essentially outlaws Uber’s current model in the country — unless it’s able to make changes to come into compliance.

Uber can appeal the Frankfurt court’s judgement, but did not respond when asked whether it intends to do so.

The ban is enforceable immediately. It’s not clear whether Uber will temporarily pause service in the market to come into compliance — it has not said it will do so, suggesting it intends to scramble to make changes while continuing to operate. But if it does that, it risks fines if it’s caught breaching the law in the meanwhile.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/12/19/ubers ... n-germany/
Details in this article https:// www.bbc.com/news/technology-50865154

Return to “Current Events”