Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Hijack This Thread

Post by zekeb »

There. The much needed forum.
Il factotum
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

SQURILE!!!
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... story.html
Smithsonian Secretary Lonnie G. Bunch III likes to tell museum visitors that looking to the past can help them understand the future. To celebrate its 175th anniversary, the Smithsonian is turning that idea on its head by focusing on the future to celebrate its past.

“Futures” is a groundbreaking, multidisciplinary exhibition that will blend art, science, design, history and technology in a celebration of the world’s largest museum complex. Part festival, part exposition, part exhibition, “Futures” was created during a worldwide pandemic — but it nonetheless offers a hopeful glimpse of what lies ahead.

Opening in November and running through July 2022 at the Smithsonian’s Arts and Industries Building, “Futures” will include site specific art installations, a wetlands exhibit, a flying car and — of course — robots. It will help visitors imagine the future they want, not the one they fear, said Rachel Goslins, AIB’s director and the visionary behind the project.

“We have plenty of models that help us imagine what could go wrong. We don’t have a model to help us imagine what could go right,” Goslins said. “The future isn’t a fact. It’s a dream. We will help you understand and think and experience the future that you want to live. It’s hopeful without being naive.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Uninformed

Hijack This Thread

Post by Uninformed »

Sorry another misplaced topic. Thought this video of the descent and landing was worth posting.

“Nasa reveals new video from Mars Perseverance Rover”:

ETA. Definitely sorry now. Don’t know why the link doesn’t work (works fine in my browser).
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Big things coming.

Watch this space!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
mimi

Post by mimi »

So I didn’t realize you could post in other areas. 😂 somebody is gonna have to move a couple threads I started.

So sorry.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

MIRACLE PUPPY 'SKIPPER'
BORN WITH 6 LEGS
Doing Surprisingly Well!!!
Here's a verrrry good girl with a little extra pep in her steps ... she was born with 6 legs but veterinarians say the pooch is miraculously beating the odds.

This newborn Aussie-border collie mix named Miracle but who also goes by Skipper was born in Oklahoma City and taken to a vet after she was rejected by her mom. Vets at Neel Veterinary Hospital say she's nothing short of a miracle because she's survived longer than expected. The pup was 4 days old at the time the pic was taken.

And get this ... the vets say Skipper has duplicate organs basically from her waist down, and they're all functioning. There's no published research showing another dog with this condition born alive.

Skipper has congenital conjoining disorders called ... monocephalus dipygus and monocephalus rachipagus dibrachius tetrapus ... that's science talk for 1 head and chest cavity but 2 pelvic regions, 2 lower urinary tracts, 2 reproductive systems, 2 tails and 6 legs, among other things.
https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/23/puppy-bo ... ngly-well/

Video at the link... She's so cute!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:15 pm Tiger Woods in a bad car accident.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... california
The media keeps saying "they had to pull him out of the car with the jaws of life". You don't pull people with the jaws of life, you cut cars open with them.

Sorry, pet peeve...
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I remember his accident in Florida about 10 years ago, too.
His net worth is est at $900 million. Maybe it's time to hire a personal driver.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MsDaisy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:59 pm

The media keeps saying "they had to pull him out of the car with the jaws of life". You don't pull people with the jaws of life, you cut cars open with them.

Sorry, pet peeve...
And using the jaws of life isn't actually an indication of how serious the injuries may be either. It's just an indication of how the vehicle was damaged.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:23 pm
MsDaisy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:59 pm

Sorry, pet peeve...
And using the jaws of life isn't actually an indication of how serious the injuries may be either. It's just an indication of how the vehicle was damaged.
The thumbs up smiley is gone but, yeah that!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Smilies will return shortly.
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/23/world/co ... index.html
(CNN)A landslide on the Italian coast near Genoa caused the collapse of a cemetery Monday, leading to hundreds of coffins falling into the sea.

The Camogli cemetery, built more than 100 years ago, is situated along an area of rocky seaside cliffs. Francesco Olivari, the mayor of Camogli, called the collapse an "unimaginable catastrophe."

It is estimated that 200 coffins had fallen, but only 10 have been recovered, according to Giacomo Giampedrone, regional assessor of civil protection. Recovering the rest of them "will depend on the sea in the coming days," he added.

On Saturday, maintenance being performed along the area of fragile coastline was abruptly stopped when workers noticed cracks in the rock.
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Foggy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:32 pm Smilies will return shortly.
Thank you Sir Rooster, but you probably have more pressing things to take care of first. I hope you know just how much all your effort is appreciated. *

* Insert HUGE thumbs up
listeme

Post by listeme »

This is always my favorite thread. :mrgreen:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Just a reminder - today is the 24th, and you only have 10 shopping months left.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

mimi wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:04 pm So I didn’t realize you could post in other areas. 😂 somebody is gonna have to move a couple threads I started.

So sorry.
Hi, Mimi!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

bill_g wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 am Just a reminder - today is the 24th, and you only have 10 shopping months left.
😲
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We got a freezer today!

I know, it doesn't sound exciting but trying to buy a freezer in the middle of a global pandemic has turned out to be one of my more challenging tasks. They've been in extremely short supply and my search was compounded by the fact that there were only a few frost free freezers that would fit into the space I had in the garage/shop. I first started looking in August of last year when my sister-in-law was diagnosed with cancer as it would have been nice to have some meals made up in advance for the week after each chemo treatment. I thought I had one back in December when I placed an order through Best Buy but the delivery on that one was delayed three times, the last time into the middle of April. About that time my second choice showed up on sale and in stock for delivery at Home Depot. That delivery was delayed a week by Snowmageddon 2021 but it was finally delivered this morning. It's nothing fancy (Frigidaire 13 cu. ft.) but it's here and it's getting cold. Of course, my SIL has been done with chemo for almost 2 month now but it'll be nice to have anyway.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:32 am We got a freezer today!

I know, it doesn't sound exciting but trying to buy a freezer in the middle of a global pandemic has turned out to be one of my more challenging tasks. They've been in extremely short supply and my search was compounded by the fact that there were only a few frost free freezers that would fit into the space I had in the garage/shop. I first started looking in August of last year when my sister-in-law was diagnosed with cancer as it would have been nice to have some meals made up in advance for the week after each chemo treatment. I thought I had one back in December when I placed an order through Best Buy but the delivery on that one was delayed three times, the last time into the middle of April. About that time my second choice showed up on sale and in stock for delivery at Home Depot. That delivery was delayed a week by Snowmageddon 2021 but it was finally delivered this morning. It's nothing fancy (Frigidaire 13 cu. ft.) but it's here and it's getting cold. Of course, my SIL has been done with chemo for almost 2 month now but it'll be nice to have anyway.
We tried to order a stove when we had the cook top and wall oven removed at the rental house. Projected delivery was anywhere from May to Aug. We got one off facebook marketplace for $50 and it's a perfectly good stove. Probably better than the one at my house.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:44 am We tried to order a stove when we had the cook top and wall oven removed at the rental house. Projected delivery was anywhere from May to Aug. We got one off facebook marketplace for $50 and it's a perfectly good stove. Probably better than the one at my house.
Yeah, I tried Facebook and Craigslist for a while but the only things I ever found were much larger than I really have room for. Even this one makes for kind of a tight fit getting around the front of my car. My first choice was 4" narrower and would have worked better but I wasn't going to wait until the middle of April only to have it delayed for a 4th time.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“The U.S. Air Force Just Admitted The F-35 Stealth Fighter Has Failed”:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2 ... as-failed/
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Uninformed wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:37 pm “The U.S. Air Force Just Admitted The F-35 Stealth Fighter Has Failed”:
No need to develop a new low maintenance aircraft to replace the F-16, the F/A-18 would do the job and is fully upgradeable for the foreseeable future.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
somerset

Post by somerset »

Uninformed wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:37 pm “The U.S. Air Force Just Admitted The F-35 Stealth Fighter Has Failed”:
The Air Force alone wanted nearly 1,800 F-35s to replace aging F-16s and A-10s and constitute the low end of a low-high fighter mix, with 180 twin-engine F-22s making up the high end.

But the Air Force and Lockheed baked failure into the F-35’s very concept. “They tried to make the F-35 do too much,” said Dan Grazier, an analyst with the Project on Government Oversight in Washington, D.C.
I think I see the problem...

Return to “General Stuff”