Where Were You 50 years ago today?

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter »

I am so pensive today. Have been so, all week. I remember what I was wearing 50 years ago today. Where I was when I heard. (A9 science class, a kid had come back from a doctor's appointment and whispered it around. The teacher saying, "this better not be a joke.") I remember my math teacher -- they made us stay in 5th period the remainder of the day, and I had a special math class with a teacher who knew us all very well, after 4 semesters. He told us that we would get through it, the country would survive, but it would be different forever. I remember the rumors that LBJ had had a heart attack. I remember then when I walked home from the school bus, as I approached our house, I saw my mother had closed all the blinds. She was sitting on the sofa, with the TV on, red-faced, puffy eyes. Didn't say a thing when I walked through the door. She had talked to us about the day FDR died, and what that meant to her, changed her life, and I don't think any of us kids thought much about her feelings, we didn't get it. I knew what that meant finally, at that very point. It's never been the same for me. I was 14. But I got it.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I was walking down to Spaulding Field at UCLA to see all the floats being prepared for the UCLA-$C football game. When I heard the news from someone who had a transistor radio I raced back to the Daily Bruin office where the AP wire delivered the news. Whenever there was an important breaking story the AP wire would chime twice. Now it was chiming repeatedly. But AP didn't know much and wasn't reporting more than that President Kennedy had been shot and was being taken to a hospital.Along with my fellow Daily Bruin writers I went to the Coop where there was a TV set. With my fellow students we watched Walter Cronkite and learned, along with the rest of the world, that Camelot had come to an end.

realist

Post by realist »

I was in American History class. (go figger)Our teacher (remember his name was Mr. Skeen) was called out of class over the speaker. He came back a few minutes later and was in tears.I was a very small country school. They moved us all into the study hall where they had brought in a couple of small B&W TVs and we watched until time to catch the bus to go home.When I arrived home, my dad was not home (still in the field working) and mom had no idea anything had happened. We didn't have TV at the time and she had not had the radio on. We turned it on and listened 'til bedtime.I don't think I really "got it" at the time. I remember my mom being (horrified) is the only word I can think of, and I remember her remarking it was because he was Catholic.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Welsh Dragon

Post by Welsh Dragon »

I was 8 years old sitting on the floor of our living room playing with my "Betta Builder" set ( a rip off of Lego) when the news flash came through.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I don't have an interesting story. I was cutting a class in high school, walked into a friend's house and she said, "The President has been killed." The rest of that day, except for the continuing sense that my American life changed for me forever, is blurry with TV images. I do know I grew up that day.

[link]Charlie Pierce,http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/a ... ion-112213[/link] has a more interesting story: The Kennedy Assassination And American Fragility
Don't do stupid shit. -Barack Obama

Joseph Robidoux III

Post by Joseph Robidoux III »

High school freshman. The principal announced Pres Kennedy's death to us over the intercom. Then my English teacher wrote "Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" on the chalkboard.After my last class was over I ran home and camped out in front of our TV.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

I was only 4. I think the only reason I remember it is because I came from an Irish Catholic family. Everyone was very upset, it was almost as if something horrible had happened to a family member. I remember my mom and aunts crying. Being that I was 4 the big thing I was worried about was the "bad man" coming to kill me. We lived near Dallas, PA so in my 4 year old mind this all happened very close to home.

June bug

Post by June bug »

I was 15 - in my first year of high school (jr. high went through 9th grade then). Friday, just before lunch, California time - I don't think I ever had lunch that day - stayed in the classroom where my Social Studies teacher turned on the radio and we listened to the coverage, riveted. School was dismissed early and my mom came and picked me up. Then it was home to the television coverage. I'm sure it must have been, but I don't remember our tv being off till after the funeral on Monday. The whole country lived through those three days together.We belonged to the Lutheran Church and our Pastor was rabidly anti-Catholic. (I'd attended a Catholic school for two years and he'd met with my parents to suggest they were putting my immortal soul in danger.) He taught our teen Sunday School and I remember how angry I was that he chose that Sunday to rail against the last rites. The world changed for our generation that day. Violence stole our innocence and our optimism, not with a whimper but a bang.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy »

I was in 1st grade and remember coming home to find my mother sitting on the floor with our next-door neighbor in front of the TV crying. She told me that the President had been shot and that my dad had to fly to Texas. I remember being afraid that he would be shot too and worried about him until he got back home 2 (or maybe 3) days later. Seemed like a lot longer to me then.
Birfers are toast

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Our school let out at 2 PM EST so I heard that JFK had been shot from my mother who picked me and my younger brother up from school. We did not hear that he had died until we got home. My mother also talked about FDR's death in the wake of JFK's death, a subject that I do not recall her ever having mentioned before. She was a 21 year-old WAC when FDR died. He had been president for most of her life. She had grown up listening to him on the radio and since she was in the Army he was her Commander-in-Chief. She said that FDR was included the next day in the war dead list in the newspaper.We watched a lot of the assassination news coverage which was on every TV channel. I recall that we saw Oswald's shooting live, and then seemingly endlessly in replays.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

Our school let out at 2 PM EST so I heard that JFK had been shot from my mother who picked me and my younger brother up from school. We did not hear that he had died until we got home. My mother also talked about FDR's death in the wake of JFK's death, a subject that I do not recall her ever having mentioned before. She was a 21 year-old WAC when FDR died. He had been president for most of her life. She had grown up listening to him on the radio and since she was in the Army he was her Commander-in-Chief. She said that FDR was included the next day in the war dead list in the newspaper.We watched a lot of the assassination news coverage which was on every TV channel. I recall that we saw Oswald's shooting live, and then seemingly endlessly in replays.That's what my grandma used to reassure me that the "bad man" wasn't coming after us. She told me that a man called Ruby killed the bad man.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

My Mother was in America at the time (it was 8 and a half years before I was born) She said she burst into tears at the news.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Foggy
Occupation: Hayseed from North Cackilacki, Space Cadet, and your benevolent Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I was almost 11 yrs. old, and in school at La Jolla Country Day School (north of San Diego). They called an assembly and told us the news.I wasn't very political in those days. I don't have a lot of clear memories besides watching the funeral on Tee Vee.
America Is Closed For The Duration - Sorry We Missed You

(Fogbow on PayPal)

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 »

I was almost 11 yrs. old, and in school at La Jolla Country Day School (north of San Diego). They called an assembly and told us the news.I wasn't very political in those days. I don't have a lot of clear memories besides watching the funeral on Tee Vee. The funeral that I remember best is RFK's. I was 9 by that time.

rosy

Post by rosy »

I was 19 days old, so I don't suppose I paid much attention to the news.

jonbeck

Post by jonbeck »

I was only three at the time so I have no memory, but hearing people recount that day is always very moving. My parents were recent immigrants at the time and my father was always grateful for the opportunity he got here, and he was not shy about expressing it. My parents were also very progressive so I can imagine it had a very big impact on them. We actually never discussed the subject, in part because my parents were teenagers in England during WWII and the British went on with life without a lot of emotion. My father did not see his parents for the entire war, they were arrested in Malaysia and held by the Japanese. The only prejudice my father held was towards the Japanese, he rarely expressed itRIP JFK

Sterngard Friegen

I was 19 days old, so I don't suppose I paid much attention to the news.Your apathy depresses me.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 8 years so far Admin Law Judge for 3 state agencies.

Post by SuzieC »

I was in the 6th grade, and waiting in line to come back inside from recess. The principal of our school announced the news over the loudspeaker. Everyone screamed and gasped in horror but I mainly recall a feeling of vast bewilderment. At age 11, I barely grasped the idea of The President. The news of his assassination struck me as a far away awful happening that I could not comprehend. The only adult that comforted me was good old Walter Cronkite, reassuringly on TV like always.

ducktape

Post by ducktape »

I was a high-school sophomore, and was in my dorm room changing for gym class. Our class schedule block rotated by one period every day, and that day, my free period was after lunch, which meant I could be in my room instead of study hall. I heard someone running down the hallway. "Stop running!" came the call from a proctor, but the runner kept going and called back "Kennedy has been shot! The president has been shot!" Then the bell started ringing -- a long ring that went on and on. We came out of our rooms and went down to study hall, which also was the assembly room. Our headmaster came in and told us all that the president had been shot in Dallas. He led us in prayer and then dismissed us, and we all charged into the TV lounge -- 200 girls into a room that could squeeze in about 50. I was quick and got in, and was watching, live, when Walter Cronkite announced that the president had died, and took off his glasses. I still had gym class that afternoon: field hockey, where I was the goalkeeper. My team did all the scoring that day, so all of the action was at the other end of the field. I remember just wandering around in the goal cage, banging the stick on my pads and thinking about how the world had changed, and how unreal it all seemed. When I remember that day, that afternoon in the goal cage by myself, just thinking about the world, looking at the crisp autumn sky and almost bare trees, banging my stick on my goalie pads, is what comes to mind like it was yesterday.

MRich

Post by MRich »

We were sent home from school (I was in first grade). What upset me more than anything was seeing my mother crying in the kitchen.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

I no longer remember exactly how old I was when I shook President Kennedy's hand, or even if he was President yet. I was either 8 or 10. He came to visit my dad's boss at his office. The boss invited all his employees and their famblies to meet him. We ringed the perimeter of the large formal reception room, leaning against large carved wooden panels depicting the history of California, watching him move slowly around the room shaking hands, awaiting our turn. My mom was aglow. He kissed her hand.Shortly after this event I received a Madame Alexander Jackie Kennedy doll for Christmas. She came perfectly coifed, wearing the beautiful canary yellow Chanel Suit and pillbox hat she wore to the inauguration, with a white sequined satin Inaugural Ball gown and clutch on a tiny hanger.I remember being in the library learning about Dewey and his decimal system when Mrs. Vest made the announcement over the PA. Two students guffawed and one cheered...they were hustled out immediately and spent the rest of the day in Mrs. Vest's office. The rest of us were stunned. I was 11. At home my mother sobbed, heartbroken, for days. She went to church every day to pray for his soul and figure out why God let this happen. My dad spent a lot of time at work, helping the boss cope. My parents, their friends, dad's boss...they were all card carrying members of Camelot. I could feel their heaviness at the time but it's not apparent to children what is lost when a dream like they had dies. They were really going to save the world, those guys. I totally get it now.For years this anniversary had me on the brink of tears most of the day, thinking about what might have been. Vietnam? Probably not. Much forward progress? Indubitably. Now I'm just resigned to the now but still hopeful for my sprout's future.Namaste, y'all.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Addie

Post by Addie »

[link]CBS News,[/link]

JFK Assassination

When President John F. Kennedy was shot in 1963, CBS News went on the air - and stayed there for four days. Watch the original reporting here, as it happened.
Don't do stupid shit. -Barack Obama

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I was in Kindergarten. I remember hearing about it on the walk home from school. It was also my parents' wedding anniversary. My dad had made reservations at a nice seafood place because my mom loved lobster. There was discussion about whether or not to go. We wound up going and we were the only people in the restaurant. When we got outside to leave, my mom vomited. I remember the black and white tv on all day and night on the following days. When Oswald was shot everyone thought the world had gone completely mad. Maybe they were right.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter »

[link]CBS News,[/link]

JFK Assassination

When President John F. Kennedy was shot in 1963, CBS News went on the air - and stayed there for four days. Watch the original reporting here, as it happened.Surprise: no coverage on Fox, as CNN and MSNBC track the time line, minute by minute. I am so surprised about Fox. :o

Sterngard Friegen

When Ronald Reagan died Fox "News" had 24/7 coverage for 10 days.

Return to “Current Events”