Prominent people who are ill

mimi

Re: Prominent people who are ill

Post by mimi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:54 pm

The following statement from former President Jimmy Carter, who will turn 91 in October, was just released by the Carter Center in Atlanta:

“Recent liver surgery revealed that I have cancer that now is in other parts of my body. I will be rearranging my schedule as necessary so I can undergo treatment by physicians at Emory Healthcare. A more complete public statement will be made when facts are known, possibly next week.”

Last week, the Carter Center had disclosed the the former president had undergone elective surgery to “remove a small mass in his liver.” No further details were offered at the time.
http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2015/08/12 ... ve-cancer/

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:56 pm

Carter's family has a history of cancer. But it's pancreatic cancer.
In a Former First Family, Cancer Has a Grim Legacy

By DENISE GRADY
Published: August 7, 2007

Few families have been as devastated by pancreatic cancer as that of former President Jimmy Carter.

“We started out a long time ago with my father dying of pancreatic cancer,” Mr. Carter said in a telephone interview. “One by one, both my sisters and brother died of pancreatic cancer.”

His mother had it as well.

Mr. Carter said that he and other relatives had given blood for studies aimed at finding genetic abnormalities that might cause the disease and help doctors diagnose it.

For a time, Mr. Carter said, he had CT scans twice a year to look for lesions on his pancreas. His doctors switched to M.R.I. scans, fearing that repeated CT scans involved too much X-ray exposure.

“I don’t get any more M.R.I.’s or CT scans regularly,” he said. “I do have extensive blood work. I get a thorough physical exam once a year, and a fairly good physical exam twice a year. They do ultrasound on my body, too. But I don’t get too involved in cross-examining the doctor. They’re so thorough at Emory University.”
remainder:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/health/07jimm.html

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:07 pm

A really good way to tell if someone is an asshole is if they have even one unkind thing to say about Jimmy Carter.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Skip Intro

Post by Skip Intro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:49 am

Family Liberty Patriot wrote:A really good way to tell if someone is an asshole is if they have even one unkind thing to say about Jimmy Carter.
You mean like this?

If thoughts and prayers weren’t free, nobody would offer them.

Family Liberty Patriot

Post by Family Liberty Patriot » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:56 am

Wow. Fucking WOW.
"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:59 am

As a cancer kicker, may she suffer inoperable blastomas

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

Lunaluz
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Post by Lunaluz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:25 pm

If you ask me Jimmy Carter really came into his own after his Presidency he became a Global Statesman, he didn't sit at home painting pictures of feet.
I sometimes get an eye twitch about the way the wingnuts venerate Reagan and support the Bush clan. Jimmy Carter will leave the world a better place, those other 2 not so much.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:01 am

:yeah: Amen.
If dogs run free, why not we?

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:44 am

Carter has always been a decent human being in every way.

After he lost to Reagan, I was at a dinner party that included a former head of the DNC from the 1960's. That jerk was happy. He hated Carter for not playing along with the party line and was glad to see him lose. I was an activist feminist at the time and complained, among other things, that a woman's right to reproduction control was under attack. He laughed it off, claiming abortion rights were not under attack and went on to ridicule my concern.

He was wrong. I hate it when Dems destroy their own, and the DNC did that to Carter.
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:56 am

I remember my mother always said that Jimmy Carter was too good for the job.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Charlie Sheen has come forward with the announcement that he was diagnosed as HIV positive about 4 years ago (after some considerable time during which odd symptoms were ignored or thought to be lesser ailments) -- and that some people were blackmailing him about it (not sexual partners, but evidently people who knew the news would wreck his show biz career) -- and that, yes, he's had unsafe sex in those four years but only with two people (presumably women) who were, he insists, told in advance and were, he insists, still willing to do it bareback, and were, he insists, checked out by his own physician.

It is my belief that we will soon see a long string of women (and maybe a few men) cuing up for money, claiming Sheen had unprotected and unwarned sex with them. And it is also my belief that most of these will be people that have never been within a mile of Charlie Sheen.

Despite all his craziness, Charlie Sheen is a very talented person and this is, of course, very bad news all around.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:39 pm

It is my belief that we will soon see a long string of women (and maybe a few men) cuing up for money, claiming Sheen had unprotected and unwarned sex with them. And it is also my belief that most of these will be people that have never been within a mile of Charlie Sheen.
I disagree. They'll all be women and Sheen will admit to having had sex with all of them.

esseff44

Post by esseff44 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:47 pm

I was just looking at the post at the start of the thread. All those bets on GHWB not making it to the New Year were a bit off, eh? Not only is he still around, he's got a new biography just out that has a few people in a tizzy. Heh, heh.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:25 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
I disagree. They'll all be women and Sheen will admit to having had sex with all of them.
A couple are represented by... Gloria Allred!
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Only Charlie Sheen could make such an announcement couched in victimhood. He's been victimized for four years, so he's got to come clean now. No mention of how lucky he is to have the resources to deal with such an illness, relative to most who suffer from it. No compassion for others, no concern for anyone else but himself and his progeny who might be just a tad less monetarily well off, should he not come clean.

As far as I'm concerned about this Narcissist, he'd easily endanger others knowingly and not give it a second thought.

Paul Lentz

Post by Paul Lentz » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:43 pm

Fortinbras wrote:Despite all his craziness, Charlie Sheen is a very talented person and this is, of course, very bad news all around.
You're, of course, entitled to your opinion of Charlie Sheen's talent, but I would disagree. In my view, Charlie Sheen is a moderately capable actor who has had the great fortune to be cast mostly in parts which are, in character, fairly similar to his own natural inclinations and lack of morality, and who also had the great fortune to carry his father's pseudonym/name (if not his talent, versatility or his gravitas).

That Charlie Sheen is HIV positive does not surprise me at all (and I am, in fact, very glad that he has the financial and/or family resources to seek and receive effective treatment). As I would feel of anyone in that situation, I'm sorry he's ill, and I hope he responds well to treatment.

But if Charlie Sheen disappeared completely from the (small or large) screen...meh.
The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:37 am

Monty Python's Terry Jones is diagnosed with dementia

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... story.html

Terry Jones, the 74-year-old star of the English comedy troupe Monty Python, has been diagnosed with a severe form of dementia.

The diagnosis was made public as the British Academy of Film and Television Arts announced Wednesday that Jones was set to receive its Special Award for Outstanding Contribution to Film and Television.

“Terry has been diagnosed with primary progressive aphasia, a variant of frontotemporal dementia,” a representative for Jones said in the BAFTA press release. “This illness affects his ability to communicate and he is no longer able to give interviews. Terry is proud and honoured to be recognised in this way and is looking forward to the celebrations.”
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:47 pm

Charles Manson is supposedly seriously ill and in a hospital.

Good riddance.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:35 am

According to news reports, Manson has been taken from the prison and moved to a hospital. I assume under heavy guard.

I would not be surprised if some people feel that, since he is supposed to die in prison and is not doing any good while there, money spent on prolonging his wretched existence is taxpayer money wasted. (For example, I feel that way.)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:40 pm

George H.W. Bush and his wife, Barbara, hospitalized in Houston

http://www.chron.com/news/george_h_w_bu ... 864539.php
President George H.W. Bush, 92, is in the intensive care unit at Houston Methodist Hospital for an acute respiratory problem stemming from pneumonia.

Also, Barbara Bush, 91, was admitted to Methodist Wednesday morning as a precaution after she began experiencing fatigue and coughing.

Methodist released a statement Wednesday that doctors performed a procedure on the former president, which it did not specify, to protect and clear his airway. The procedure required sedation.

"President Bush is stable and resting comfortably," according to the statement, but he will remain in ICU for observation.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:38 pm

TMZ
MARY TYLER MOORE IN GRAVE CONDITION

Mary Tyler Moore is in grave condition at a Connecticut hospital ... TMZ has learned.

Sources close to the family tell us her condition is so grim family members are coming to the hospital to say goodbye. The TV icon's long battled diabetes, and she underwent brain surgery in 2011.

We're told Moore is suffering from a number of health problems and recently it has become critical.

Mary starred in "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and had an incredible run with "The Mary Tyler Moore Show."
¡Qué vergüenza!

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm

USA TODAY
26 mins ·
Former president, George H. W. Bush is in the hospital after developing a mild case of pneumonia.

ABC7
2 hrs ·
THIS JUST IN: Former President George H.W. Bush was hospitalized over the weekend for pneumonia, according to a family spokesperson.
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:14 pm

alt/right publications are running an item about President Clinton's health. Bill Clinton Health Crisis–Family Gathering In Little Rock http://readconservatives.news/2017/04/2 ... ttle-rock/

I don't see why anyone would make up such news, but I cannot yet find any confirmation on real media. I do know that he looks awfully thin.

I will edit this if any real news comes along.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:47 pm

nothing on the family's twitter accounts

https://twitter.com/billclinton
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton
https://twitter.com/ChelseaClinton

except this
Posing with a statue of a giant grasshopper on Sunday, former President Bill Clinton tweeted that his presidential library, the Clinton Presidential Center in Little Rock, Arkansas, had been bugged.

http://www.wral.com/giant-grasshopper-a ... /16661643/
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:50 pm

That grasshopper needs a fierce girl on the other side of the pond!

Return to “Current Events”