Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

Post by Slim Cognito »

Now that Barr is AG, my guess is we’re pretty much there. Not to stray too far off topic but - now that Barr has authorized cherry picking and declassifying info about the Russia investigation, I fear he’ll actually frame people trump has scapegoated and send them to prison to appease trump.
ImageImageImage x4
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:32 am Now that Barr is AG, my guess is we’re pretty much there. Not to stray too far off topic but - now that Barr has authorized cherry picking and declassifying info about the Russia investigation, I fear he’ll actually frame people trump has scapegoated and send them to prison to appease trump.
:yeah: And he will likely out anyone that has given testimony about Trump and Trump Jr. The report makes it quite clear that Trump Jr broke the law. Of course, he broke one of those laws that you can break as long as you can say you didn't know it was against the law. But I digress. Lots of hurt to come.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

US Delivers Formal Extradition Request for Julian Assange to the UK

From the Washington Post:
The Justice Department has delivered to officials in the United Kingdom a formal extradition request for Julian Assange, making further U.S. charges against the WikiLeaks founder unlikely.

A U.S. official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive matter said the request was sent Thursday. The United States’ treaty with Britain required that the request be sent within 60 days of Assange’s April 11 arrest at the Ecuadoran Embassy in London.

The same treaty bars the United States from prosecuting Assange for any alleged crimes beyond those outlined in the extradition request, unless those acts occur after his extradition. In an 18-count indictment filed last month, prosecutors charged Assange with violating the Espionage Act and conspiring to hack into a government computer.

The Justice Department did not pursue Assange for the 2017 exposure of Central Intelligence Agency hacking tools known as “Vault 7,” according to government officials, out of concern that doing so would do more damage to national security. Joshua Adam Schulte, a former CIA employee, is accused in New York federal court of leaking that information to WikiLeaks.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/pu ... c40fadb148
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Wait.. I thought the Q's were saying Assange was coming back with Trump?
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent »

So espionage and hacking, how pedestrian, so Assange.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Northland10 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 pm Wait.. I thought the Q's were saying Assange was coming back with Trump?
This is all a cover story. Assange is being brought in to testify against Hillary and the deep state. :rotflmao:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Notorial Dissent wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:01 pm So espionage and hacking, how pedestrian, so Assange.
It has been suggested that the US is keen to avoid Assange's side spinning this as a press or journalistic freedom issue, mainly for keeping the UK courts and opinion on-side but also to cut out those defenses in US courts.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Sweden drops Julian Assange rape investigation
Prosecutor says country will not proceed with investigation into WikiLeaks founder

Ben Quinn
Tue 19 Nov 2019 13.23 GMTFirst published on Tue 19 Nov 2019 13.15 GMT

Swedish authorities have discontinued an investigation into a rape allegation against the WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange, after a review of the evidence.

The deputy chief prosecutor, Eva-Marie Persson, said the complainant’s evidence was deemed credible and reliable, but that after nearly a decade, witnesses’ memories had faded.

“After conducting a comprehensive assessment of what has emerged during the course of the preliminary investigation I then make the assessment that the evidence is not strong enough to form the basis for filing an indictment,” Persson said. An appeal against the decision could be made to the office of Sweden’s attorney general, she added.

Assange, who is battling extradition to the US, which accuses him of publishing secret documents related to his WikiLeaks work, has been facing potential charges in Sweden since 2010. The 48-year-old has denied all allegations against him.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/ ... estigation
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

A year ago, I'd have thought this was obvious BS, but now it seems just f'ed up enough that it might be true.

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status ... 2700443648
James Doleman
@jamesdoleman
Breaking, at pre-trial hearing for Julian Assange a court has heard that he will be calling a witness who will allege he was offered a pardon by the US government, if he would say Russia was not involved in the leak of DNC documents during the 2006 election.
edit:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-off ... ourt-hears
Lawyers acting for Assange have argued that the Australian should not be extradited to the U.S. because the case is political not criminal.

Edward Fitzgerald, Assange’s lawyer, said on Wednesday that a message had been passed on to Assange by former Republican Congressman Dana Rohrabacher.

Fitzgerald said a statement produced by Assange’s lawyer, Jennifer Robinson, showed “Mr Rohrabacher going to see Mr Assange and saying, on instructions from the president, he was offering a pardon or some other way out, if Mr Assange... said Russia had nothing to do with the DNC leaks.”

District Judge Vanessa Baraitser, who is presiding over the pre-trial hearing in Westminster Magistrates’ Court, said the allegation should be admissible during the extradition hearing, which is due to begin next week.
:torches:

edit: some internet speculation
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/ ... 5055954944
southpaw
@nycsouthpaw
One visit we know about occurred in August 2017, weeks after the Special Counsel’s appointment.

Afterwards, Rohrabacher said that Assange "emphatically stated that the Russians were not involved in the hacking or disclosure of those emails."
Linked article
https://www.businessinsider.com/dana-ro ... don-2017-8
Slim Cognito
Location: Home to gators, pythons and now trump. trump is the only one that scares me.

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm confused by Assange's reluctance to come to the US to have his case dropped by Barr.
ImageImageImage x4
ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:11 pm I'm confused by Assange's reluctance to come to the US to have his case dropped by Barr.
Assange's lawyers haven't figured out just how large a contribution is needed to be made to the Trump re-election campaign.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Didn’t he already deny that Russia was involved? I think I remember the Q people being mad that Mueller said Assange lied.
bob

Post by bob »

Assange, in an attempt to avoid extradition, is trying to prove his prosecution is politically motivated.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

southpaw
@nycsouthpaw
·
9m
The White House is calling upon the deep reservoir of credibility Stephanie Grisham has built up with the reporters in the increasingly dusty press room to put this story to rest.
Quote Tweet

Zeke Miller
@ZekeJMiller
· 16m
.@PressSec: :

“The President barely knows Dana Rohrabacher other than he’s an ex-congressman. He’s never spoken to him on this subject or almost any subject. It is is a complete fabrication and a total lie. This is probably another never ending hoax and total lie from the DNC.”
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

:eek2: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKBN20D2A2
At Westminster Magistrates’ Court, Assange’s barrister, Edward Fitzgerald, referred to a witness statement by former U.S. Republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher who had visited Assange in 2017, saying that he had been sent by the president to offer a pardon.

The pardon would come on the condition that Assange complied with the U.S. by saying that the Russians were not involved in the email leak which hurt Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign in 2016, Rohrabacher’s statement said.
Panch Villlain

Post by Panch Villlain »

Dan1100 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:35 pm :eek2: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKBN20D2A2
At Westminster Magistrates’ Court, Assange’s barrister, Edward Fitzgerald, referred to a witness statement by former U.S. Republican congressman Dana Rohrabacher who had visited Assange in 2017, saying that he had been sent by the president to offer a pardon.

The pardon would come on the condition that Assange complied with the U.S. by saying that the Russians were not involved in the email leak which hurt Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign in 2016, Rohrabacher’s statement said.
Would really like to see that witness statement.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:04 pm
southpaw
@nycsouthpaw
·
9m
The White House is calling upon the deep reservoir of credibility Stephanie Grisham has built up with the reporters in the increasingly dusty press room to put this story to rest.
Quote Tweet

Zeke Miller
@ZekeJMiller
· 16m
.@PressSec: :

“The President barely knows Dana Rohrabacher other than he’s an ex-congressman. He’s never spoken to him on this subject or almost any subject. It is is a complete fabrication and a total lie. This is probably another never ending hoax and total lie from the DNC.”
Republican known for defending Putin meets Trump at White House
The president's decision to host Dana Rohrabacher drew raised eyebrows in D.C.

By JOSH DAWSEY, ISAAC ARNSDORF and TARA PALMERI 04/04/2017 03:44 PM EDT
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher woke up before dawn Saturday for a Fox News hit in which he gave a spirited defense of President Donald Trump. Minutes after the California Republican walked off the set, Trump was on the line, inviting him to come by the White House.

The congressman's spokesman said Rohrabacher at first believed the call was a prank because it came from the White House switchboard, early on April 1. But it was the president, an avid TV watcher who often posts tweets or sets up meetings based on what he sees on-screen.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/ ... use-236874
November 5 [2018] by John Wagner
Trump touts support for Rohrabacher in early morning tweet

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-Calif.), faces a tough re-election Tuesday in a district carried by Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential race.
President Trump touted his support early Monday for long-serving Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a Republican who is locked in a tight race for reelection in a California district that Democrat Hillary Clinton narrowly carried in the 2016 presidential election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... rc404=true
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Seemsto me that the real goal here is to get Assange to say his source was Seth Rich to revive the conspiracy theories.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

So, Dana Rohrabacher submitted a witness statement to a UK court that implicated Trump in another Quid Pro Quo?

Oops.
tek

Post by tek »

I have totally lost track of wtf is going on here.
There's no way back
from there to here
Foggy

Post by Foggy »

tek wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:44 pm I have totally lost track of wtf is going on here.
It seems that in fighting extradition to the US, Assange said that Dana Rohrabacher (former GOP congresscritter from Orange County, CA), approached him and promised something (pardon?) if Assange would say that the emails he had published that were stolen from Hillary and the DNC did NOT come from the Russians. This offer supposedly came from Trump, who is still under orders from Putin to take advantage of every opportunity to exonerate Russia for its blatant interference in the 2016 election.

So Trump decided the best way to refute it was to claim he doesn't know Rohrabacher, which was instantly exposed as just more stupid horseshit from the president of the United States of America. He endorsed Rohrabacher for re-election in a gushing and flattering tweet.

But I don't get the details right on anything, as everybody knows. So what did I mess up in the above two paragraphs?
Buckle up, peeps, this ride is gonna get BUMPY. :shock:
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:05 pm
tek wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:44 pm I have totally lost track of wtf is going on here.
It seems that in fighting extradition to the US, Assange said that Dana Rohrabacher (former GOP congresscritter from Orange County, CA), approached him and promised something (pardon?) if Assange would say that the emails he had published that were stolen from Hillary and the DNC did NOT come from the Russians. This offer supposedly came from Trump, who is still under orders from Putin to take advantage of every opportunity to exonerate Russia for its blatant interference in the 2016 election.

So Trump decided the best way to refute it was to claim he doesn't know Rohrabacher, which was instantly exposed as just more stupid horseshit from the president of the United States of America. He endorsed Rohrabacher for re-election in a gushing and flattering tweet.

But I don't get the details right on anything, as everybody knows. So what did I mess up in the above two paragraphs?
At least some people in the press are saying that the lawyer represented that they had a statement from Rohrbacher himself.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

I’m unclear on whether Dana said it or Julians lawyer said it and why the pardon was conditioned on something Julian had already done.
Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

This seems to be some corroboration.

https://twitter.com/stevenportnoy/statu ... 0561397760

Steven Portnoy
@stevenportnoy
It seems like news today, but then-Rep. Rohrabacher went on camera and told our LA station in September 2017 that he was engaged in a "confidential interaction" with the WH on a pardon for Assange.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Jeffrey wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:20 pm I’m unclear on whether Dana said it or Julians lawyer said it and why the pardon was conditioned on something Julian had already done.
I think Assange didn't make that statement until after he was visited by Rohrabacher.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “Current Events”