Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 23809
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#176

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:38 am

Daniel Sandford

Verified account

@BBCDanielS
Follow Follow @BBCDanielS
More
“Free, free, free Assange” they shout
Image
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 23809
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#177

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:40 am

Jim Sciutto

Verified account

@jimsciutto
42m42 minutes ago
More
New: Ecuador has suspended the Ecuadorian citizenship of WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, Ecuador’s Foreign Minister José Valencia said at a presser on Thursday.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Northland10
Posts: 8532
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 am
Location: Chicago area - North burbs

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#178

Post by Northland10 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:18 am

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:53 am
It's not a "speaking indictment," but the allegation seems to be that Manning got access to the hashed password file, sent that to Assange, and Assange either tried to hack it (or, more likely) had someone else do it.

Legally, that would fit the definition of conspiracy to hack. And I think it goes a tad bit beyond just being the beneficiary.
I was thinking that had he just received documents without prior involvement, that would be hard to prosecute given the Pentagon Papers rulings. However, if he was involved in aiding the procurement of the documents, that is a different issue. It is not just a publication issue
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

User avatar
bob
Posts: 27239
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#179

Post by bob » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:26 am

The Q folks are all over Twitter saying this all part of the grand plan to expose Seth Rich's killer.
Edit: Type-O.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

User avatar
Addie
Posts: 35382
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 am
Location: downstairs

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#180

Post by Addie » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:37 am

Daily Beast: Why Ecuador Finally Got Sick of Julian Assange and Ended His Refuge at the Embassy in London

boots
Posts: 3181
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#181

Post by boots » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:51 am

bob wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:26 am
The Q folks are over Twitter saying this all part of the grand plan to expose Seth Rich's killer.
Little do they know, the Ecuadorans are really working with OJ to find the real killers! :eek2:

User avatar
Danraft
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#182

Post by Danraft » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:09 pm

Does this mean Assange can be subpoenaed in the 2016 election related investigation?
The Mercury Project

User avatar
Dolly
Posts: 14326
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#183

Post by Dolly » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:20 pm

The Q folks are all over Twitter saying this all part of the grand plan to expose Seth Rich's killer.
some stuff on Facebook
► Show Spoiler
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

User avatar
Estiveo
Posts: 8252
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Trouble's Howse

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#184

Post by Estiveo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:43 pm

I just want to know that his cat is okay.
Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 23809
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#185

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Volkonski
Posts: 23809
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm
Location: Texas Gulf Coast and North Fork of Long Island
Occupation: Retired Mechanical Engineer

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#186

Post by Volkonski » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 14734
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#187

Post by Kendra » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Trump just said he doesn't know anything about Wikileaks, not my thing. :liar:

User avatar
Northland10
Posts: 8532
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:19 am
Location: Chicago area - North burbs

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#188

Post by Northland10 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Dolly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:20 pm
The Q folks are all over Twitter saying this all part of the grand plan to expose Seth Rich's killer.
some stuff on Facebook
► Show Spoiler
So, there was a grand plan from Trump that inolved Assange pissing off his host enough that they let the UK police enter the embassy and arrest Assange so he will be extradited to the US where he will will expose the Deomocratic party, Hilary, Obama, and the Deep State. Seems like just walking out the front door would have been a easier way to get sent to the US.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

User avatar
Chilidog
Posts: 10153
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:36 am

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#189

Post by Chilidog » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:19 pm

boots wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:51 am
bob wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:26 am
The Q folks are over Twitter saying this all part of the grand plan to expose Seth Rich's killer.
Little do they know, the Ecuadorans are really working with OJ to find the real killers! :eek2:
OJ is Q?

User avatar
Dolly
Posts: 14326
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#190

Post by Dolly » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm

Estiveo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:43 pm
I just want to know that his cat is okay.
From the gizmodo link above:
Journalist James Ball reports that Assange’s cat, which had become a minor media celebrity while Assange was in the embassy, was given to an animal shelter by the Ecuadorian embassy “ages ago.”
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 14734
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#191

Post by Kendra » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm


TRUMP in 2016: "I love WikiLeaks! ... This WikiLeaks stuff is unbelievable! ... We love WikiLeaks! ... We've learned so much from WikiLeaks."

TRUMP today: "I know nothing about WikiLeaks. It's not my thing ... I know nothing really about them."

Mr Brolin
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:03 am

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#192

Post by Mr Brolin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Oh dearie me and tut, tut, tut.

Reading indictment items 9 and 10, assuming they are factual reveals a massive, stupid and wholly irresponsible lack of information security on the part of the US DoD.

Apart from calling Linux a specialist piece of "software" as opposed to it being a computer operating system which is asinine in the extreme, it shows a child like stupidity to security.

Manning as an analyst only had access to the desktop environment he used at his place of work
He did NOT have access to the data center and server environments to physical servers

Ergo, Manning could only use a bootable USB thumb drive or CD to boot his local PC to a Linux environment and access a local PC password file.

Plainly, reading the indictment

The DoD didn't apply setting and a password to the BIOS which would have prevented booting from removable media
The local administrator account and password was identical on multiple if not all the PC's on the accessible network across MULTIPLE departmental environments

Since Manning allegedly downloaded "four, nearly complete databases from departments and agencies" that also means the local admin account and password was ALSO a system wide privileged database application account.

To say that the DoD was arguably criminally stupid and negligent is probably an understatement

It surprises me no end that it appears that this level of insane stupidity was not raised as a defense in Mannings trial.

User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 5782
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#193

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Mr Brolin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm
To say that the DoD was arguably criminally stupid and negligent is probably an understatement

It surprises me no end that it appears that this level of insane stupidity was not raised as a defense in Mannings trial.
“The government made it easy for me to commit my crime” isn’t a defense to any if the charges Manning faced.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Estiveo
Posts: 8252
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Trouble's Howse

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#194

Post by Estiveo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Dolly wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:37 pm
Estiveo wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:43 pm
I just want to know that his cat is okay.
From the gizmodo link above:
Journalist James Ball reports that Assange’s cat, which had become a minor media celebrity while Assange was in the embassy, was given to an animal shelter by the Ecuadorian embassy “ages ago.”
Not sure if that's good or bad for the poor cat.
Image Image Image Image Image

User avatar
Dan1100
Posts: 3558
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:41 pm

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#195

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Mr Brolin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm
Oh dearie me and tut, tut, tut.

Reading indictment items 9 and 10, assuming they are factual reveals a massive, stupid and wholly irresponsible lack of information security on the part of the US DoD.

:snippity:

Ergo, Manning could only use a bootable USB thumb drive or CD to boot his local PC to a Linux environment and access a local PC password file.

:snippity:
I thought it was bad enough when a backwater Fish And Wildlife post didn't have the computers protected from a booting with usb drive, but the DOD?

And what IT screw up was it that got Hillary into so much trouble again?
"Devin Nunes is having a cow over this."

-George Takei

Mr Brolin
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:03 am

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#196

Post by Mr Brolin » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm
Mr Brolin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm
To say that the DoD was arguably criminally stupid and negligent is probably an understatement

It surprises me no end that it appears that this level of insane stupidity was not raised as a defense in Mannings trial.
“The government made it easy for me to commit my crime” isn’t a defense to any if the charges Manning faced.
Ah, minor misapprehension.

Not an affirmative 'they were asking for it" defense but more than enough to cast mud in a "reasonable doubt" element. The indictment admits that using said anonymous (non individualised) account made it difficult to identify who was using this account. Manning lawyers, assuming they did not use that fact to cast reasonable doubt on whether Manning was the nefarious individual, should have.

User avatar
Maybenaut
Posts: 5782
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Maybelot

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#197

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 pm

Mr Brolin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm
Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:03 pm
Mr Brolin wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:56 pm
To say that the DoD was arguably criminally stupid and negligent is probably an understatement

It surprises me no end that it appears that this level of insane stupidity was not raised as a defense in Mannings trial.
“The government made it easy for me to commit my crime” isn’t a defense to any if the charges Manning faced.
Ah, minor misapprehension.

Not an affirmative 'they were asking for it" defense but more than enough to cast mud in a "reasonable doubt" element. The indictment admits that using said anonymous (non individualised) account made it difficult to identify who was using this account. Manning lawyers, assuming they did not use that fact to cast reasonable doubt on whether Manning was the nefarious individual, should have.
Yeah, but the WikiLeaks dude (I can’t remember what his name was but he was the guy who ultimately turned Manning in to the authorities) connected the dots to how WikiLeaks got the information from Manning. And in the chats that were entered as evidence in the Manning trial he explained to the guy how he got the information. So I think “some other dude did it” was a non-starter from the defense perspective.

ETA: Which is why Manning pled guilty.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Sam the Centipede
Posts: 7313
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#198

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:50 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:22 am
My theory: Julian Assange was about to enter himself in an Ernest Hemingway lookalike competition when the embassy threw him out.
Naaah… he was waiting for a delivery of blue face paint so he disguise himself as Papa Smurf.

User avatar
Estiveo
Posts: 8252
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm
Location: Trouble's Howse

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#199

Post by Estiveo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Screenshot_20190411_110146.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

Jeffrey
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:27 pm

Re: Julian Assange loses extradition appeal at Supreme Court

#200

Post by Jeffrey » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:30 pm

tek wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:06 am

The counter-counter argument is that Trump has a long history of contradicting what he has said (sometimes in the same thought)
The counter counter counter argument is that Trump has exhibited zero loyalty or gratitude towards everyone that has broken the law on his behalf including his personal attorney. So thinking that Trump would break that pattern for Assange is silly.

Post Reply

Return to “Current Events”