The Great Days of Airline Travel

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

The Great Days of Airline Travel

Post by Luke »

Sunday funday topic. When I was a kid in the early 70's, we moved to Taiwan because my Dad was working there. In those days, there were lounges onboard the 747s. Vividly remember a piano bar upstairs that was amazing. Years later, Virgin Atlantic tried a bit of this (and their lounges at Heathrow were fantastic with the food, haircuts, massages, and the like). Wow found a pic, guess they were new when we traveled:

747PianoBar.JPG
747PianoBar.JPG (111.68 KiB) Viewed 2656 times

AA Piano.jpg
AA Piano.jpg (83.13 KiB) Viewed 2653 times

From a story about the "Great Lounge War":
American fired back with this bombshell: the in-flight piano bar. Escalating the battle to fever pitch, American Vice President Kenneth L. Meinen added amplified 64-key Wurlitzers to the carrier's lounge attractions aimed at "making an event of every flight." By December of 1971, passengers were merrily singing piano-led songs like Let it Be and Joy to the World as they zipped through the skies on all 16 of the airline's 747s.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-grea ... _b_5863774

Just saw this 1971 ad for American Airlines and it made me nostalgic. Airlines should consider bringing some of this back to encourage people to fly again. There's no reason air travel has to be like a terrible bus ride.

photo_2021-03-21_17-10-04.jpg
photo_2021-03-21_17-10-04.jpg (130.24 KiB) Viewed 2667 times

Does anybody have any fun remembrances of when it was a treat to fly?
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Re: The Great Days of Airline Travel

Post by Frater I*I »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:15 pm
Just saw this 1971 ad for American Airlines and it made me nostalgic. Airlines should consider bringing some of this back to encourage people to fly again. There's no reason air travel has to be like a terrible bus ride.
In a word...money.

We call them "cattle cars" for a reason. :dance:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

orlylicious wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:15 pm
Does anybody have any fun remembrances of when it was a treat to fly?
I must confess that I don't have ANY remembrances of it being fun to fly, except for the time that I took a floatplane (a DHC-3 de Havilland Otter) to Victoria, BC from Seattle on Kenmore Air, departing from Lake Union.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

In 1965 a friend and I hitchhiked to Ft. Lauderdale for spring break. We were in engineering school and the last of our group to finish exams. We were to meet up with the rest of them and get a ride back to Cincy. But I had a reserve meeting the weekend before we were leaving to come back and since I had already missed a few days I thought it prudent to find another way home. AA had a discount program for under 21s or maybe it could have been 25's even. I had considered taking a Greyhound but it was like 27 hours and 7dollars more than the plane counting the discount.
So, I got a ride to Miami (and there is a crazy story for another time) caught an 11:30PM flight on a 707 with two other passengers and a full crew of stewardi who seemed intent on seeing how drunk they could get the three of us. Waiting to board I kept thinking they would cancel the flight for just three people. A few years and many flights later I became aware of the fact that sometimes there are positioning flights that go whatever the passenger load. Anyhow that was the best time I ever had on an airliner. Wouldn't happen today I imagine.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My mom was secretary to the President of PanAm in the late 40s-early 50s. There’s a picture of her somewhere out there in the world: She’s with several executives at some kind of ceremony involving ribbons, scissors, and two snarling Dobermans. 😆. I’ve tried googling it but my skills are sub-par.

She traveled a lot on cheap/ free flights. She was set up on a blind date with my dad in Honolulu by one of the other stewardesses (who knew a friend of a friend of his).

Many years ago, long before I met mr520, I flew United standby from LA to DC after a visit to my family. I got the last available seat, which actually had been purchased by the guy in the seat next to me for his cello. I was hung over and in no good mood, but he was persistent and we started chatting. We hit it off and talked and laughed non-stop to Dulles Airport.

He said “If this wasn’t 1980, I’d ask you to marry me.”

“If this wasn’t 1980, I’d say yes.”

We had a mad, passionate long-distance relationship for a couple of years. Then I found out he was married and we stopped. I moved to LA a few years after that, worked in W Hollywood. One day at lunch I was walking across Sunset Blvd. and we passed each other in the crosswalk. We were both stunned and I almost tripped on the curb, walking backwards to see if it was really him. It was. Still married.

He died in Black Mountain, NC just two years ago.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I guess I exist because of airlines. Estiveo's Mom was a stewardess/flight nurse for Slick Air, & my father was a flight engineer. Slick was a government contractor flying troops all over the place. The rents met on the Hawai'i Okinawa Guam Wake Is. runs & ended up on the European tour. Married in Switzerland, lived in Germany for a few years, then moved to California in time to spawn me, the Yeti, & Bosco.
Image Image Image Image
Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

My favorite airline memory from years ago was the opportunity to pre-order special meals. I tried several options and my absolute favorite soon became the seafood plate, which even in regular coach, included a Maine lobster tail and jumbo shrimp. Quite a difference from the tiny bag of pretzels we’ve learned to accept!
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

My mom was a stewardess..

One of her duties on a DC3 was to hold onto the co-pilots belt as he lent out to pull the door shut while the pilot did some fancy flying..
(The rear door on her plane had a habit of opening itself in flight)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I really dislike airline travel. Always have. I feel like cattle.

My most prominent memory is not a good one. I was flying somewhere, with a connection through Minneapolis-St Paul. My flight was late getting in and I had to run to catch my connection on a separate concourse. That airport is huge and it took me almost 20 minutes for me to get to the departure gate. By then, the plane was loaded, my previous seat had already been reassigned. I now had a middle seat. When I step on the plane, it is completely full sans the one middle seat I then had a ticket for. When I saw that, I had what is best described as a panic attack, I turned around and got off.

The airline was understanding (must have been Northwest or Continental because MSP was a hub), got me a hotel room at their contracted place (I paid their discount rate) and booked me, no charge, for the next fight out in the morning.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Eight in our family went to Norway in 1994. Storms prevented us from taking off on our original departure date. The next day we flew to Chicago, then to New York City, storms delaying us each leg, forcing us to stay overnight in NYC. The hotel they put us up in was basically full so my folks, aunt, and youngest sister shared one room while my brother and his wife shared a room with my husband and me. Naturally, our luggage had gone on ahead of us, so no pajamas, etc. The one good thing: When we finally flew from NYC to Norway, they upgraded us to First Class. When we got to Oslo, all our luggage was sitting by itself, grouped together, just waiting in an open spot for us.

I definitely like flying First Class!

My husband was a big man - 6’3” with broad shoulders. He hated how small the seats were. Fortunately, when he traveled to Germany and to Hong Kong for business, his company flew him Business Class.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:26 am I definitely like flying First Class!
Yeah, it's way different than domestic air coach seating. (serving me wine pre-flight) But, you either have to be wealthy and willing to pay for it, or a frequent flyer where they qualify you for a free bump to an open seat. I never paid for first class-- just got the free bumps. Never had a panic attack in first class. :lol:
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

Favorite flight for me was a trip to Australia from the West Coast where we were 6-7 people and we left LA with maybe 10 passengers on the plane. Don't remember the specific type of plane only that it was one of the big bus types. We ran around the plane like children on recess. We picked up a few more passengers in Hawaii, but not enough to make any difference. Definitely much nicer than a trip to Athens on a charter from the West Coast where being packed like sardines would have been a luxury.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I remember taking the kids to Disney World when they were young. We had seats in coach, but we were served a great, hot breakfast on china plates. Today, I generally prefer taking my own food. Even a protein bar is likely to taste better than the food they are serving. I always upgrade us to premium economy, but that doesn't upgrade the food, just the space.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am I remember taking the kids to Disney World when they were young. We had seats in coach, but we were served a great, hot breakfast on china plates. Today, I generally prefer taking my own food. Even a protein bar is likely to taste better than the food they are serving. I always upgrade us to premium economy, but that doesn't upgrade the food, just the space.
I hear you there. But with all the rules and restrictions, post 9/11 -- it's a pain in the butt bringing our own stuff on and past the security screening.

When the logistics worked and I was not on a tight time table, I took Amtrak (and I know you are a fan, as well) --with none of that BS the airlines and TSA puts us through.

Better food, too.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:27 am
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:55 am I remember taking the kids to Disney World when they were young. We had seats in coach, but we were served a great, hot breakfast on china plates. Today, I generally prefer taking my own food. Even a protein bar is likely to taste better than the food they are serving. I always upgrade us to premium economy, but that doesn't upgrade the food, just the space.
I hear you there. But with all the rules and restrictions, post 9/11 -- it's a pain in the butt bringing our own stuff on and past the security screening.

When the logistics worked and I was not on a tight time table, I took Amtrak (and I know you are a fan, as well) --with none of that BS the airlines and TSA puts us through.

Better food, too.
The trick is to buy the food past security. I realize that's easier said than done. The thing about the Pittsburgh International Airport is that no one doing business inside is allowed to charge any more than they charge for the same product, including food, outside the airport. I'm happy on the leaving-Pittsburgh trip, but I'm screwed just like everybody else at other airports on the return flights. Flying internationally it's not so bad. I'm likely to get a semi-edible meal at least once. And if I'm flying, it's likely international.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:39 pm The trick is to buy the food past security. I realize that's easier said than done. The thing about the Pittsburgh International Airport is that no one doing business inside is allowed to charge any more than they charge for the same product, including food, outside the airport. I'm happy on the leaving-Pittsburgh trip, but I'm screwed just like everybody else at other airports on the return flights.
Interesting to know. Because, in general with airport real estate/space, it doesn't work that way. The franchise is paying a premium in the contract as a kick-back (revenue sharing)-- which results in higher than average prices to customers on products to offset the costs. Maybe Pittsburgh can start a trend to change that across the country. I like it.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I met ol' Wifehorn on an airplane from Minneapolis/St. Paul to John Wayne Airport. We both lived in Orange County, CA and worked for companies in the Twin Cities, and we had both upgraded to first class using mileage points, and sat across the aisle from each other. By the time we landed, I had her phone number.

Let's see, that was ... lemme do the math ... carry the one ... umm ... OK, that was a long time ago!
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The best airline service I ever experienced was on Singapore Airlines in first class.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
filly

Post by filly »

Decades and decades ago, I vividly remember flying to my BFF's wedding on Delta. This was when Delta was known for service and hospitality. It was a 747 and we were served filet mignon (it was not nuked) and champagne. In coach. My have things changed.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:16 pm The best airline service I ever experienced was on Singapore Airlines in first class.
First Class on JAL to Tokyo was also quite nice.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:11 pm I met ol' Wifehorn on an airplane from Minneapolis/St. Paul to John Wayne Airport. We both lived in Orange County, CA and worked for companies in the Twin Cities, and we had both upgraded to first class using mileage points, and sat across the aisle from each other. By the time we landed, I had her phone number.

Let's see, that was ... lemme do the math ... carry the one ... umm ... OK, that was a long time ago!
Your MSP story is more heartwarming then mine -- but, I will say that day, I did learn what "Minnesota-nice" is. They are not all like that MyPillow dude. :lol:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

My dad worked for the now defunct Northwest Orient Airlines. We got three years in Hawaii back in the 60s when he got transferred there. Back then, round trip Honolulu to Seattle for us was $8 found trip first class. Of course, flying standby with mom and three kids needed a plan depending if anyone got bumped.

Family lore says I got lost for hours at O'Hare at a very young age.

By the time the first jumbo jets came out, dad was working in mechanic at SeaTac, and we got to take a tour of one of the new jets (707) I think it was. Dad knew all the pilots and when we did fly, we got to say hello and visit the cockpit. Can you even imagine that happening now?
tek

Post by tek »

Foggy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:11 pm I met ol' Wifehorn on an airplane from Minneapolis/St. Paul to John Wayne Airport. We both lived in Orange County, CA and worked for companies in the Twin Cities, and we had both upgraded to first class using mileage points, and sat across the aisle from each other. By the time we landed, I had her phone number.

Was the plane like this one?
northwest_dc3.jpg
northwest_dc3.jpg (49.6 KiB) Viewed 2413 times
:batting:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:58 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:39 pm The trick is to buy the food past security. I realize that's easier said than done. The thing about the Pittsburgh International Airport is that no one doing business inside is allowed to charge any more than they charge for the same product, including food, outside the airport. I'm happy on the leaving-Pittsburgh trip, but I'm screwed just like everybody else at other airports on the return flights.
Interesting to know. Because, in general with airport real estate/space, it doesn't work that way. The franchise is paying a premium in the contract as a kick-back (revenue sharing)-- which results in higher than average prices to customers on products to offset the costs. Maybe Pittsburgh can start a trend to change that across the country. I like it.
Pittsburgh started doing that when it built the new terminal in 1992. So, no, it never became a trend anywhere else.

Return to “General Stuff”