keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Re: Food but not recipes

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:58 am
Estiveo wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:48 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:29 am

If you left it open face, it would have been called a bruschetta.

My fav g cheese is one slice of aged swiss (where the salt has started to form on the rind) and a slice of real Kraft American (not the proc food product) on cracked wheat, butter fried both sides, but not smashed. *DO NOT* smash my grilled cheese please. Thank you.
Butter fried & non-smashed are the only way to go.
There *was* (past tense) a food cart in downtown Portland that made fried sammiches including the classic grilled cheese on Wonder Bread, and they *insisted* on putting the heavy flat plate on every sandwich. Ugh. Flavor was good, but if I had wanted a quesadilla, I woulda asked for that.

They made a grilled PB and banana that should be classified a controlled substance. It's crack on bread. Totally satisfying when you need it. A complete blues breaker.
EVERY DAMN SANDWICH SHOP IN AUSTRALIA MAKES 'TOASTED' SANDWICHES WITH THOSE FLURSLUGGING FLAT PLATE SMASHER.
Even crosants for crying out loud. There is already a smashed samich in Australia called a jaffle, and they are just fine. Why do they have to ruin EVERYTHING.

I HATE IT. FIGHT IT TAKING OVER GLOBALLY
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Chilidog wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:00 pmAlpha gal?
Yes. I got bit by the lone star tick and had anaphylaxis off and on for two years before I finally found an allergist who could diagnose it.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Chilidog wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:45 pm So, sorta / kinda on the vegan thing for a week and a half.

I say sorta kinda because we have some stuff in the freezer I've been eating up on the weekend.

But other than that, no complaints.

We got a meal subscription for 10 meals a week.

Some of its been downright tasty.

One meal from the other day was a clunker.

There were some sautéed greens that were rather bitter and ruined half the dish.

https://purplesprout.com
In the summer time when the garden is running at full steam, we have many all veggie dinners. But, we enjoy meatless meals all year. Being in Oregon, we have many vegan choices in the frozen food aisle even in a plain old grocery store. One of my favorites is Annies Lentil Loaf. By itself it is a dense bland thing. But, pour some Pace Picante sauce on it, and a whole new world just popped into your mouth.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

We get the lentil loaf in the meal plan.

I have a row of condiments
- Soy sauce
- cholua
- smokey habenero
- tobasco

They all work well.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Long ago and far away, an elderly German (german/Polish?) lady who was my landlady, made pickle soup. It consisted of cubed potatoes, garlicky dill pickle chunks, onions and bacon. A light chowder consistency with butter and cream.I have made her rouladen for decades. I'm on a mission to recreate this soup - but only for myself. No one else in my family likes soup. Criminals.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I love soup. I'm making a ham soup today with the ham bone, some ham, and whatever I find in the fridge.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
slq

Post by slq »

neonzx wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:18 pm
Volkonski wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:16 pm The Keto bread that Aldi Grocery Stores sell has become unavailable due to a problem at the baker that makes it. We are down to our last loaf. :(
Can you make it at home?
You might try looking for Base Culture bread in the freezer section of your grocery store. It's good. I can get it at Safeway and Whole Foods. Also, Amazon has it.
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 am I love soup. I'm making a ham soup today with the ham bone, some ham, and whatever I find in the fridge.
Pickles😜?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:24 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 am I love soup. I'm making a ham soup today with the ham bone, some ham, and whatever I find in the fridge.
Pickles😜?
No, but I was thinking of having some on the side. ;)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Keto bread is back at Aldi. :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://phys.org/news/2021-04-dna-lettu ... -weed.html
Iceberg lettuce, oakleaf lettuce, romaine, and all other lettuces that we eat nowadays, descend from wild plants that were modified 6000 years ago in the Caucasus so that plant oil could be harvested from the seeds. After the ancient Greek and Romans further bred the plants to use them as leafy vegetables, lettuce also ended up on our plates over time. The special history of lettuce has been described in detail thanks to the DNA analysis of 445 types of lettuce, conducted by Wageningen University & Research and the Chinese BGI. Their research will be published today in the authoritative periodical Nature Genetics and opens the door to faster and more effective breeding of more resilient food crops.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Every so often I get a massive sweet tooth for milk chocolate. Now, being lactose intolerant, even regular Hershey bars tend to upset my stomach. But I have found a chocolate bar that doesn't.

Al Nassma Camel Milk Chocolate. It's an Arabic chocolate bar that is very good and barely a stomach upset to be had. Wonder if I can get camel's milk here in Ohio. :think:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

jez wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:44 pm Every so often I get a massive sweet tooth for milk chocolate. Now, being lactose intolerant, even regular Hershey bars tend to upset my stomach. But I have found a chocolate bar that doesn't.

Al Nassma Camel Milk Chocolate. It's an Arabic chocolate bar that is very good and barely a stomach upset to be had. Wonder if I can get camel's milk here in Ohio. :think:
Yes, if you buy a female camel.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oh noes! :eek:

Fortunately we have a year's supply in the pantry (1 jar).
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:28 pm Oh noes! :eek:

Fortunately we have a year's supply in the pantry (1 jar).
I have a lifetime supply, and I don’t have any!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
somerset

Post by somerset »

I haz a question for Estiveo:

A few years ago you talked about some very special cantaloupes (Tuscan?) that were only available for a few weeks. Back then the only cantaloupes I could buy locally were the outrageously expensive Japanese melons, so all I could do was drool. Now that I'm living just down the road (figuratively speaking) and melons are coming back into season, I remembered those special cantaloupes and was hoping you could share more about how to get them :-)
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

somerset wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 pm I haz a question for Estiveo:

A few years ago you talked about some very special cantaloupes (Tuscan?) that were only available for a few weeks. Back then the only cantaloupes I could buy locally were the outrageously expensive Japanese melons, so all I could do was drool. Now that I'm living just down the road (figuratively speaking) and melons are coming back into season, I remembered those special cantaloupes and was hoping you could share more about how to get them :-)
Yup, Tuscan cantaloupe. IIRC, they appear around May into June. I didn't see them last year, but covid maybe? As far as getting them, they just materialize in the produce department at Nob Hill Foods, and they're striped & elongated a bit.
Estiveoshot_20210421_155937.jpg
Image Image Image Image
somerset

Post by somerset »

Thanks!! I'll start checking out Nob Hill :biggrin:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

If I see 'em, I'll letcha know.
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

After a couple of visits to the local Aldi grocery that was again out of their Keto bread, Mrs. V. was able to get that bread there today. :thumbsup:

Avocado toast for breakfast tomorrow!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Fort Worth Star-Telegram
@startelegram
Chicken wing shortage leaves restaurants scrambling for more. ‘It’s a predicament’
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Corn tortilla prices are increasing in Mexico. Here's what Americans can expect.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ma ... 916054001/
Corn has been leading the rally among grain commodities, rising more than 30% in 2021, according to MarketWatch.

Roberto Aguilar, editorial director for Forbes México, told CNN that higher corn prices have contributed to a price increase for tortillas. CNN reported that some zones in Mexico are nearing 20 MXN (or $1 USD) per kilogram of corn tortilla – last year the national prices hovered between 9.7 to 18 MXN (or 0.48 to 0.89 USD). An ear of corn could potentially make around 10 small tortillas.

The grain touched its highest prices in nearly eight years, outpacing the rally for other agricultural crops like wheat and soybeans.

"If it grows in soil, chances are prices are skyrocketing," Ed Moya, senior market analyst at OANDA, a trading, currency data and analytics solutions firm, told USA TODAY. "Corn, wheat, soybeans and even lumber prices are surging higher, and that should spell trouble in the coming months for the U.S. consumer."."
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Fridays in jr high, school ended early. The upper grades would troop across the southern end of Land Park to Vic’s Diner for lunch. I always got the grilled hot dog sammich with mustard and a coffee shake. To this day it’s my best comfort meal.

A grilled hot dog is a grilled cheese sandwich with hot dogs instead of cheese. The bread-San Francisco sourdough or rye-was slathered with butter top and bottom and grilled to golden brown perfection. We put our own mustard on.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Kate520 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 7:30 pm Fridays in jr high, school ended early. The upper grades would troop across the southern end of Land Park to Vic’s Diner for lunch. I always got the grilled hot dog sammich with mustard and a coffee shake. To this day it’s my best comfort meal.

A grilled hot dog is a grilled cheese sandwich with hot dogs instead of cheese. The bread-San Francisco sourdough or rye-was slathered with butter top and bottom and grilled to golden brown perfection. We put our own mustard on.
Except for the coffee shake, that sounds *so* good!

Return to “General Stuff”