What are you watching?

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

What are you watching?

Post by Frater I*I »

bob wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:42 am Binged The Watchmen, the 2019 series that was a retelling? reimagination? sequel? to the original series.

It used the Tulsa Greenwood massacre as a touchstone for its Watchmen's take on alternative history, perceptions of time, vigilanteism, etc.
Yes, a sequel to the original Watchmen comic...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

This is cool -- last year, Amazon gave 6 ad free months of Disney+. Now Disney's offering it for $1.99 for three months. Nice for the holidays, might wait until closer to the 9/20 deadline to be closer to Christmas. This is the with ads version, but it's a great price.
Disney lowered the monthly price of its most popular streaming service this week amid a carrier fee dispute with a Charter Communications.

Anyone who subscribes to Disney+ will pay $1.99 a month for three months, according to the service's website. Disney+ normally costs $7.99 a month. The lowered price applies to new and returning subscribers only.

Disney+.JPG
Disney+.JPG (68.15 KiB) Viewed 3368 times

*Savings compared to regular monthly price for Disney+ Basic (With Ads). New and eligible returning subscribers only. Must be 18+. After 3 months, Disney+ Basic (With Ads) auto-renews at then-current monthly retail price (currently $7.99/mo) until canceled. Offer ends 9/20/23. Terms apply.

The price of Disney+ Premium, Disney Bundle Trio Basic, and Disney Bundle Trio Premium will increase starting on 10/12/23. Learn more at disneyplus.com/priceinfo.

The Little Mermaid, Ahsoka season 1, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 now streaming. Elemental and Animals Up Close with Bertie Gregory season 1 streaming September 13th. Lang Lang Plays Disney streaming September 15th.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Just started watching "Dark Winds", just released on free to air down here in OzzieLand.

Highly recommended. But I don't know who is carrying it in Yankeeland (or Dixie for that matter).

ETA: a small scene from ep1 (approximately):

Senior Cop to Rookie: (something about philosophy and why are you back on the 'Res' after university...)
Rookie to Senior Cop: That's pretty deep for a Reservation Cop.
Senior: You don't think Reservation Indians can go to college?
Rookie: You?
Senior: Sure, Arizona State.
Rookie: Oh, well if you consider ASU a university.

Has everybody heard about the bird?
MN-Skeptic

What are you watching?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

keith wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:11 am Just started watching "Dark Winds", just released on free to air down here in OzzieLand.

Highly recommended. But I don't know who is carrying it in Yankeeland (or Dixie for that matter).
Dark Winds is based on the Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee novels of Tony Hillerman. I loved reading those mysteries and I was disappointed when Hillerman passed away and that was the end of the novels. Except now Tony's daughter, Anne Hillerman, has taken over the series. Her books have less Joe Leaphorn and more Jim Chee and his police officer wife Bernadette Manualito. The books are different now, but in my opinion, just as enjoyable to read.

It looks like the first season of Dark Winds is available on the Max streaming service which I subscribe to so I'll make sure I watch the first season's six episodes. The second season is only available on the streaming service AMC+. I don't subscribe to that service. Yet. Dang! I keep subscribing to streaming services and I really, really don't watch a lot of TV. I mostly read books and surf the internet. Oh well. I'll watch the first season on Max and see if it's worth adding AMC+ to the streaming services I subscribe to but never watch.
RVInit

What are you watching?

Post by RVInit »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:09 pm
keith wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:11 am Just started watching "Dark Winds", just released on free to air down here in OzzieLand.

Dark Winds is based on the Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee novels of Tony Hillerman. I loved reading those mysteries and I was disappointed when Hillerman passed away and that was the end of the novels. Except now Tony's daughter, Anne Hillerman, has taken over the series. Her books have less Joe Leaphorn and more Jim Chee and his police officer wife Bernadette Manualito. The books are different now, but in my opinion, just as enjoyable to read.

It looks like the first season of Dark Winds is available on the Max streaming service which I subscribe to so I'll make sure I watch the first season's six episodes. The second season is only available on the streaming service AMC+. I don't subscribe to that service. Yet. Dang! I keep subscribing to streaming services and I really, really don't watch a lot of TV. I mostly read books and surf the internet. Oh well. I'll watch the first season on Max and see if it's worth adding AMC+ to the streaming services I subscribe to but never watch.
:lol: Same here. There are just too many streaming services and each of them have just a handful of series or great movies. Talk about getting nickel and dimed to death, yeesh.

It looks like a great series, I love the older cop, he was in Longmire, can't remember the actor's name.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

I'm still REALLY enjoying The Saint with Roger Moore, all six seasons are on Prime Video. They are from like 1960-1965, and take place in cities all over the world. So there's tons of footage of 60's London, Paris, Miami, San Francisco, Buenos Aires and lots of other places. They are all standalone episodes, so you can watch any of them. It has a bit of an Avengers vibe to it, the classic cars and cool to see what shows were playing on the West End and stuff (they show the marquees). Roger Moore is hot in the show and there's fight choreography in nearly every episode. There are lots of confidence men and blackmailers who get what they deserve.

Free on Prime Video (there are some pay options too, but here's the link):

Episodes in the back half of Season 2 (there are 27) really hit the show's stride. This is fun and a good example: 2 E19 - Luella January 23, 1964 49min Simon meets up with an old friend who insists on painting the town red while his wife is away and becomes the victim of a blackmail plot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... _select_s2

Pan Am.JPG
Pan Am.JPG (61.45 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

Heathrow.JPG
Heathrow.JPG (60.32 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

Saint.JPG
Saint.JPG (43.53 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

Netflix has an Inside The World's Toughest Prisons show... there's an episode, Norway: The Perfect Prison? which is amazing. It's set at Norway's Haldon Prison, which is a prison like you've never seen. Hardened criminals are treated with dignity and respect, the jailers socialize with them, the facility was beautiful, and 70% never go to prison again. It seems like a model for the future.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by Kriselda Gray »

RVInit wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:15 pm :lol: Same here. There are just too many streaming services and each of them have just a handful of series or great movies. Talk about getting nickel and dimed to death, yeesh.
I wish I had the discipline to do this, but I know a lot of people who will sign up for a channel, keep the subscription until they're done watching whichever one or more series they were interested in, then drop the subscription until the network has something else they want to watch. That way they only pay for what they're actually watching. Since there aren't any initial fees and payment is month-to-month it doesn't cost any more to do it that way, and you save money for whichever months you don't watch.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Props to Neon! He texted me late last night with the news that the UK's wild show, Naked Attraction, was quietly picked up by Max. It's been around for a while in the UK, 6 seasons and S7 is airing there now. Max has the 1st 6 seasons.
‘Naked Attraction,’ Brutal Full-Frontal Nude Dating Show, Quietly Added to Max
Singles eliminate potential dates by scrutinizing and critiquing their nude bodies in controversial series: "This is the craziest s—t I EVER watched on TV."
Naked Attraction can come across as rather jaw-droppingly brutal in the contestants’ graphic analysis and dismissal of people based on their most private of parts with contestants being dismissed for every superficial reason you can imagine (“I don’t like her feet” … “His member is too small,” etc). At the same time, each episode contains interstitials of informative sex education, and the show clearly tries to promote body confidence and positivity amid all the “hot or not” judgements. The show also includes contestants of diverse sexual orientations.
U.S. viewers are just starting to stumble onto the series, which was released without a trailer or media fanfare (Max listed it among dozens of titles coming to the streamer in September). “My fkn sister just put me on to this ‘naked attraction’ show and this is the craziest shit i EVER watched on tv,” wrote one viewer. “There is something so cringe about watching the body language of a naked man who has been rejected,” wrote another. “I kinda hate the way things are and shouldn’t be watching this (I’m contributing to the demand), but I’m fascinated by this.”

But many are defending show: “Despite the nudity, it isn’t supposed to be titillating or dramatic or anything … the contestants are just normal people with normal flaws, and the format promotes an open healthy discussion of sex with the participants,” wrote a viewer on Reddit. “A lot of Americans might actually benefit from seeing this,” opined another. “There’s a surprising diversity of contestants, bodies and tastes, talked about pretty matter of factly.” And another: “It’s nice to see cuz the media & xxx has conditioned us to see bodies in a certain unrelatable way, usually too perfect/airbrushed.”

And on ABC’s The View on Monday, Sunny Hostin, “I’m embarrassed to admit, [my husband Emmanuel] and I got so obsessed with this show we binged it yesterday… and I learned things I have never heard of in my life. It was one of the most fascinating things I’ve ever seen.”

Here’s a censored version of the trailer from when the show was brought to HBO Asia earlier this year:

Want to make clear -- Neon is NOT a contestant on the show. :P
SuzieC
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by SuzieC »

I love Aina from episode 1 because she is a fantastic yoga practitioner.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:23 pm Props to Neon! He texted me late last night with the news that the UK's wild show, Naked Attraction, was quietly picked up by Max. It's been around for a while in the UK, 6 seasons and S7 is airing there now. Max has the 1st 6 seasons.
:snippity:

Want to make clear -- Neon is NOT a contestant on the show. :P
:snippity:

Aunt Chippy seems to want nothing to do with this show. :lol:

Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Aunt Chippy is hilarious! "You brought me from Vegas to watch this sh*t?" :lol: Only saw Aunt Chippy once before, she's apparently 80. What a pistol.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Prime Video brought back My Favorite Martian 1964 with Ray Walston and Bill Bixby. Black and white, it's during the space race and a look into the tech and what they thought the future would be like. Maybe saw a few clips, but didn't remember much besides the name. The young guest stars are fun.

My Favorite Martian Season One presents 37 complete, digitally remastered episodes. Among other classic TV actors who make guest appearances are Marlo Thomas, Alan Hale Jr., Richard Deacon, Madge Blake, Bernie Kopell, Butch Patrick, Henry Gibson, Herbert Rudley, Simon Oakland, Allan Melvin, Elvia Allman, Hal Smith, Dub Taylor, J. Pat O'Malley, Frank DeVol and many more.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/ ... NyaXB0aW9u
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

The Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix. Into Episode 3. Love anything Mike Flanagan does; like seeing familiar faces from his other works. Right in time for Halloween.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:42 pm The Fall of the House of Usher on Netflix. Into Episode 3. Love anything Mike Flanagan does; like seeing familiar faces from his other works. Right in time for Halloween.
A buddy recommended that too. I'll look for it tonight.
AndyinPA
Verified:

What are you watching?

Post by AndyinPA »

Finished The Fall of the House of Usher last night. I think it's my favorite of all the Mike Flanagan films/series. It was amazing how he could weave so many of Poe's works into his story of greed and power and destruction. I've loved all the Mike Flanagan works (The Midnight Club, least), but I wasn't expecting to like this as much. It's probably not for anyone who doesn't like horror or gore, but it's a fine piece of work. And the last of his contract with Netflix. :(
► Show Spoiler
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

What are you watching?

Post by much ado »

Dracula 1931 with Bella Lugosi, free with subscription on Amazon Prime Video.

I must have seen it at least a couple of times on late night movies back in the '60s and '70s.

It is very good. Really a classic.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the Dracula mention, it's excellent. It seems many of the actors are from the silent screen era, very dramatic acting.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

FYI: Prime Video's Dracula movies leave Amazon after Halloween. There are several, Bride of Dracula etc. Guess they just got rights through the spooky holiday.

Interestingly, on PC, the Ghostery browser extension (Chrome, Brave, didn't check others) removes commercial breaks on FreeVee and other services. Hadn't expected it but it works.

Too also: SCRIBD has an ebook and audiobook service now and it's a colossal catalog with brand new titles. It's a rental service; $9.99 per month for all you can read or listen to. There are some videos as well. They have a one-month free trial, signed up and it's been great. There are 117 waiting for Musk by Isaacson at Broward Library through Libby, several month wait. But on SCRIBD it's right there and ready to play. I have an Audible membership, and Libbry is great, but for really popular titles it's good to hear and preview before spending an Audible credit. Listening to "Rat Pack Confidential: Frank, Dean, Sammy, Peter, Joey and the Last Great Show".
https://www.scribd.com/home
Mrich

What are you watching?

Post by Mrich »

I've been enjoying "Lessons In Chemistry" on Apple+. Stars Brie Larson ("Captain Marvel"). It's a limited series based on a book of the same name.

I didn't read the book but I heard about the series and I like Brie Larson. She plays Elizabeth Zott, a woman in the 1950s who wants to be a chemist but isn't taken seriously. She's a very unique character. Only 4 episodes have aired so far, but from the promos I know she is eventually going to use her talents in chemistry to have a successful cooking show.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Neon sent me big news -- 💪 Fu*kBoy Island 💪 is BACK! And now it's on the CW (and Max). Asked how he knew and I think he said Wifehorn turned him on to it being back and its international expansion. Foggy probably knows the whole story and watched all the countries productions, he's been holding out. When can we get Wifehorn a Fogbow account? ;) Thanks for the tip, Neon! :P

We could easily have a Fogbow version of FBOY Island. The ladies here fit the profile of gorgeous women, and we have 24 handsome suitors. The ladies could definitely pick the "nice guys" from the FBOYs.
On a quest for everlasting love, three gorgeous women descend upon the ultimate beachfront location to find 24 handsome suitors. But in a competition dating reality series unlike any other, they'll have to figure out which of the men are "nice guys" looking for love and which are self-proclaimed "fboys" only in it for the cold, hard cash. With $100,000 on the line, the women navigate the dating pool together in hopes of sifting through all of the undercover fboys to find their perfect match. With host/comedian Nikki Glaser on hand for brutally-honest commentary and guidance, FBOY ISLAND may finally answer the age-old question: do nice guys always finish last?
I'm sure everybody remembers Katie Thurston, 32, a comedian and former The Bachelorette star from Seattle, she's in the cast this season (the brunette in the photo below).

FBOY.jpg
FBOY.jpg (164.95 KiB) Viewed 2905 times

USA: FBOY Island - Season 3 - Episode 1 : This Is Gonna Be A Good Season: https://9movies.top/watch-tv/fboy-island-70970.10022578
Episode 3 is called Bro Stole My Eggs. Only the first three episodes have run so far, it's coming out weekly.

S3 Trailer:

But it's not just FBOY Island US... it's becoming a global hit.

FBOY Island Netherlands: https://9movies.top/watch-tv/fboy-islan ... 79.9360952

FBOY Island Australia: https://9movies.top/watch-tv/fboy-islan ... 21.9708892

Trailer:

FBOY Island Spain: https://9movies.top/tv/fboy-island-spain-94663
FBOY Island Spain - Season 1 - Episode 1 is titled: For Our Sake, Go to Hell

Super hot cast, here's the Trailer, turn closed captions on to translate to English:

It seems there are Fu*kBoys everywhere and an insatiable demand to see them, along with the women who put them in their place.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

What are you watching?

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby should NOT see this!!! I repeat Hubby should NOT see this!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

What are you watching?

Post by Kendra »

Just found the original Mission Impossible on Prime Video. Yay! Barbara Bain is just stunning, you'd thing her outfits would be dated, but no...
keith

What are you watching?

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:11 pm Just found the original Mission Impossible on Prime Video. Yay! Barbara Bain is just stunning, you'd thing her outfits would be dated, but no...
Oh yeah, I'll dig that one out.

It'll be refreshing to see MI as it should be again instead of that Tom Cruize drek that isn't MI as far as I'm concerned.
Luke

What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Prime Video brought back a 50's show I used to represent called DANGEROUS ASSIGNMENT. 39 half-hour episodes. It's owned by Frank Bresee, who did The Golden Days of Radio and created a popular drinking game called PASS OUT. I was shocked to see it. Frank passed in 2018, but his widow Bobbie Bresee is just 76, she's a beautiful blond who ended up in lots of horror movies getting slashed.

Netflix has one of the strangest shows ever. It's Korean and called THE DEVIL'S MIND. They have a group who play really intricate puzzles and games, competing for a possible 500M Won. The games are really, really complex, and while it's dubbed and has subtitles, it's still hard to follow. But there's something interesting about it. They laugh at the beginning... usually Korean TV is on shoestring budgets like Japan, but since this is Netflix it's an amazing and detailed set. They play a mental challenge game each show, followed by a prize fund game. It's insane strategy and alliances -- the 1st challenge is a complex game with terrorists, a fanatic, reporter, policeman, researchers (there's a virus) and ordinary citizens. If you like deep math and logic puzzles, it's worth checking out.
much ado

What are you watching?

Post by much ado »

Thanks for that, Orly. I will definitely check it out.

I just finished Mars Attacks!, which is on Amazon Prime Video now. Much fun!

Also watching James Bond movies, many of which are also on Amazon now.

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”