Rest in Peace

Fortinbras

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 am

Richard Hatch, who played Capt. Apollo on the original Battlestar Galactica, and another role on the rebooted Galactica, has died of pancreatic cancer at age 71.

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Al Jarreau dead at 76
"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:31 pm

Harvey Lichtenstein, who rescued the Brooklyn Academy of Music from bankruptcy and closure 50 years ago, has died at age 87.

Paul Lentz

Post by Paul Lentz » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:05 pm

Fortinbras wrote:Richard Hatch, who played Capt. Apollo on the original Battlestar Galactica, and another role on the rebooted Galactica, has died of pancreatic cancer at age 71.
Battlestar Galactica (which first appeared when I was about 8) was an immediate hit with me and my contemporaries, and Richard Hatch was the coolest of the cool among an entire cast of extreme cool. RIP, Richard Hatch. You (as Captain Apollo) were a role model for kids so eager to dream of the future.
The love of power will not win over the power of love.
Orlando, Florida 6/12/16

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:49 am

Christian Evans, ex-husband of Rickie Lake, has died at age 45. The only news is that he was suffering from bipolar disorder and Lake sent out a tweet that indicated that was connected with his death. But bipolar disorder is not itself a cause of death; no news medium has yet articulated the actual cause of death.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:34 am

As the mother of a bipolar child, I know exactly what that means.
Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:22 am

kate520 wrote:As the mother of a bipolar child, I know exactly what that means.
:bighug:

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:14 am

https://www.army.mil/article/182389

LTG Hal Moore of Vietnam fame .....

RIP Sky Soldier.

We Were Soldiers Once, And Young
WASHINGTON (Army News Service) -- Retired Army Lt. Gen. Harold "Hal" Gregory Moore, co-author of the book "We Were Soldiers Once...and Young," died Friday at his home in Auburn, Alabama. He was 94 years old.

Moore's book about the exploits of his battalion in the Battle of Ia Drang Valley during the Vietnam War -- co-written with journalist Joseph L. Galloway -- was adapted into a 2002 Hollywood film in which Moore was portrayed by actor Mel Gibson.

Moore graduated from West Point in June 1945 and entered the infantry branch as a second lieutenant just three months before the end of World War II. While Moore was unable to serve in that conflict, he went on to serve in both the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

Moore's heroism during the Battle of la Drang earned him the Distinguished Service Cross. At the time of the battle, Moore served as commanding officer of the 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division (Ai...
Moar on Moore at LINK
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Chilidog wrote:
As a sister of a bipolar sibling, I do as well. :brokenheart:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

June bug

Post by June bug » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:29 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Chilidog wrote:
As a sister of a bipolar sibling, I do as well. :brokenheart:
And as the aunt of a dearly-loved bipolar niece, I do too. :brokenheart: :bighug:

kate520

Post by kate520 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:06 pm

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

kate520 wrote::bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
:grouphug: to you...and your family
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 pm

posting here because I can't find a different thread for this guy.
'Blind Sheikh' linked to 1993 World Trade Center bombing dies in US federal prison

Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman, a blind Egyptian cleric serving a life sentence in the United States for conspiring to blow up New York City landmarks, died early Saturday morning, federal officials said.

According to a statement from the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, Rahman died Saturday at approximately 5:40 a.m. ET "from natural causes after a long health battle with diabetes and coronary artery disease." He was 78.

His next of kin has been notified of his death, the statement said.

Rahman, known as "the blind sheikh," was sentenced to life in prison in 1996 for his advisory role in a plot to blow up landmarks, including the United Nations, and several bridges and tunnels throughout New York City. He was also linked to a bombing at the World Trade Center in February 1993 that killed six people and injured more than 1,000 others.

Rahman, a veteran of Egypt's Islamist movement, entered the United States in 1990. He had been jailed in Egypt for allegedly helping to inspire the assassination of President Anwar Sadat. <SNIP>
http://abcnews.go.com/US/blind-sheikh-l ... d=45582741
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:37 pm

Norma McCorvey, Plaintiff in Landmark Roe v. Wade Abortion Case, Dies at 69

Norma McCorvey, the plaintiff at the center of the landmark 1973 Roe v. Wade case that expanded abortion rights in the United States, has died. She was 69 and her death was confirmed by a journalist writing a book about the case, the Washington Post reports.

McCorvey, who was in an assisted-living facility in Texas at the time of her death, took on the pseudonym Jane Roe more than 40 years ago, when she was reportedly battling addiction and poverty. McCorvey, then 22, was struggling with an unwanted pregnancy. By the time the Supreme Court ultimately ruled in her favor, in a ruling celebrated by liberals and decried by conservatives ever since, McCorvey had already given birth. The child was eventually given up for adoption.

The cause of McCorvey's death was a heart ailment, the Post reports. While she spoke out in support of abortion rights in the 1980s, she later became an opponent of abortion.
that is all at the link - via Washington Post
http://time.com/4675858/norma-mccorvey-dead-roe-v-wade/

Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, dies at 69
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 1ac5724be3

Norma McCorvey, Roe Of Landmark 'Roe V. Wade' Ruling On Abortion, Dies At 69
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... dies-at-69
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:43 pm

TV wrassler George "The Animal" Steele, who also appeared in the movie, Ed Wood, died of liver failure at age 79 on Feb. 16th. He had been in hospice for nearly a year. His real name was William James Myers, and altho his ring persona was as a green-tongued grunting lunatic who would tear the turnbuckle cushions apart with his teeth, he had earned a Master's degree at Central Michigan University and he taught high school in inner city Detroit - and continued to coach high school football and track during his TV wrestling career. He was finally sidelined by Crohn's disease, but even in retirement he made the rounds as a motivational speaker.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Dolly wrote:posting here because I can't find a different thread for this guy.
Rahman, a veteran of Egypt's Islamist movement, entered the United States in 1990. He had been jailed in Egypt for allegedly helping to inspire the assassination of President Anwar Sadat. <SNIP>
http://abcnews.go.com/US/blind-sheikh-l ... d=45582741
Fun fact - my BIL's uncle was Sadat's driver and also involves in the assassination. Not so fun reality - having this guy as a BIL. He's a complete dick. He shares his uncle's radical Islamic extremism. Makes for terribly awkward Christmases.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Companion fun fact:

I worked for a man who claimed to be Sadat's personal physician. I can't find any corroboration. His daughter, also one of my bosses, was president of GLAAD at the time. He ultimately ended up being indicted along with Berlusconi, one of his business partners, for shady dealing
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:37 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/ja ... smsnnews11

Clyde Stubblefield, a drummer for James Brown who created one of the most widely sampled drum breaks ever, died Saturday. He was 73.

His wife, Jody Hannon, told The Associated Press that Stubblefield died of kidney failure at a Madison, Wisconsin, hospital around noon. He had been suffering from kidney disease for 10 years, and had been hospitalized for a few days, she said.

Stubblefield performed on several of Brown's classics in the 1960s and early 70s, including "Cold Sweat," ''Say It Loud — I'm Black and I'm Proud," ''I've Got the Feelin'," and the album "Sex Machine."

But he was best known for a short solo on Brown's 1970 single, "Funky Drummer." Rolling Stone magazine said it was sampled on over 1,000 songs and served as the backbeat for countless hip-hop tracks, including Public Enemy's "Fight the Power," Dr. Dre's "Let Me Ride," LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out" and Run-D.M.C.'s "Run's House." It even turned up on Ed Sheeran's "Shirtsleeves" and George Michael's "Freedom '90," the magazine said.
:snippity:
“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:51 am

Another TV wrassler, Ivan Koloff, "the Russian Bear", has died at age 74 of liver cancer.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:14 pm

CNN
Vitaly Churkin, Russia's ambassador to UN, dies suddenly at 64

Moscow (CNN)The Russian ambassador to the United Nations, Vitaly Ivanovich Churkin, died suddenly in New York on Monday, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
He died at age 64, one day before his 65th birthday.

Churkin suffered from cardiac arrest while at the Russian Mission on East 67th Street, a law enforcement official said. He was taken to New York's Presbyterian Hospital, where he died.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said "the outstanding Russian diplomat died while he was in his current working role." ...

Samantha Power, former US ambassador to the UN, said she was heartbroken by Churkin's death and credited him with trying to help Russian-US relations. ...

Matthew Rycroft, the British ambassador to the UN, called Churkin's deah the loss of a "diplomatic giant."
¡Qué vergüenza!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:52 am

Alan Colmes age 66

http://www.mediaite.com/online/breaking ... ead-at-66/

Other than being Sean Hannity's punching bag for years he was a pretty good guy.
"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:07 pm

Reality Check wrote:Alan Colmes age 66

http://www.mediaite.com/online/breaking ... ead-at-66/

Other than being Sean Hannity's punching bag for years he was a pretty good guy.
I enjoyed the clips on his radio show where he went off on birthers.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:16 am

New York Times
Mildred Dresselhaus, the Queen of Carbon, Dies at 86

Mildred Dresselhaus, a professor emerita at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology whose research into the fundamental properties of carbon helped transform it into the superstar of modern materials science and the nanotechnology industry, died on Monday in Cambridge, Mass. She was 86.

Her death, at Mount Auburn Hospital, was confirmed by her granddaughter Leora Cooper. No cause was given.

Nicknamed the Queen of Carbon in scientific circles, Dr. Dresselhaus was renowned for her efforts to promote the cause of women in science. She was the first woman to secure a full professorship at M.I.T., in 1968, and she worked vigorously to ensure that she would not be the last.

In 1971, she and a colleague organized the first Women’s Forum at M.I.T. to explore the roles of women in science. Two years later she won a Carnegie Foundation grant to further that cause. ...

Dr. Dresselhaus’s own story was one of struggle and perseverance. The daughter of impoverished Jewish immigrants from Poland, she grew up humbly in the Bronx, sometimes on public assistance, but excelled in school — winning scholarships, finding a mentor in a future Nobel laureate and earning advanced degrees at leading universities.
¡Qué vergüenza!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:30 pm

Dusty in here. :cry:
If dogs run free, why not we?

SueDB

Post by SueDB » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:06 am

Bill Paxton - Surgery complications...

http://linkis.com/people.com/movies/VzKEU
Emmy-winning actor Bill Paxton died due to complications from surgery, PEOPLE confirms.

“It is with heavy hearts we share the news that Bill Paxton has passed away due to complications from surgery,” a family representative said in a statement. “A loving husband and father, Bill began his career in Hollywood working on films in the art department and went on to have an illustrious career spanning four decades as a beloved and prolific actor and filmmaker. Bill’s passion for the arts...
“If You're Not In The Obit, Eat Breakfast”

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Return to “Current Events”