Whip

Re: Rest in Peace

Post #3601 by Whip » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 pm

esophageal cancer according to Variety

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/miguel- ... 201964233/

Notorial Dissent

Post #3602 by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:43 pm

He had a long and busy career and will be missed.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Addie

Post #3603 by Addie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:32 am

Associated Press

Charlie Liteky, Army chaplain in Vietnam who gave back Medal of Honor, dies

SAN FRANCISCO -- Charlie Liteky, an Army chaplain in Vietnam who won the Medal of Honor for rescuing more than 20 wounded men but later gave it back in protest and became a peace activist, has died.

Longtime friend Richard Olive said Liteky died Friday night at the Veterans Administration Hospital in San Francisco. He was 85.

The Army awarded Liteky the highest military decoration for his actions on Dec. 6, 1967, when his company came under intense fire from an enemy battalion in Bien Hoa province. Despite painful wounds in the neck and foot, Liteky carried more than 20 men to the landing zone to be evacuated during the fierce firefight.

“Noticing another trapped and seriously wounded man, Chaplain Liteky crawled to his aid,” the Army’s official citation reads. “Realizing that the wounded man was too heavy to carry, he rolled on his back, placed the man on his chest and through sheer determination and fortitude crawled back to the landing zone using his elbows and heels to push himself along.” ...

Twenty years after his heroic actions in Vietnam, Liteky left the Medal of Honor - awarded under the name of Angelo J. Liteky - and a letter to President Ronald Reagan at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington in protest of the country’s foreign policy in Central America, where U.S.-backed dictators were fighting bloody wars against left-leaning rebels.

¡Qué vergüenza!

kate520

Post #3604 by kate520 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:10 pm

:crying: :crying: maybenaut, did you see? :crying: :crying: :crying:

This makes me particularly sad. I loved the Roches, Maggie's songs were a big reason.

Maggie Roche, the songwriter whose serene alto anchored the close harmonies of the Roches, her trio with her sisters, Terre and Suzzy, died on Saturday. She was 65.

Suzzy Roche said in a statement that the cause was breast cancer. She did not say where her sister died.

“She was a private person, too sensitive and shy for this world, but brimming with life, love, and talent,” Suzzy Roche wrote on the Roches’ Facebook page. “She was smart, wickedly funny, and authentic — not a false bone in her body — a brilliant songwriter, with a distinct unique perspective, all heart and soul.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/arts ... pe=article

For those of you at the Baltimore meetup, she wrote this song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPFrtQH6lI

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

Maybenaut

Post #3605 by Maybenaut » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 pm

kate520 wrote::crying: :crying: maybenaut, did you see? :crying: :crying: :crying:

This makes me particularly sad. I loved the Roches, Maggie's songs were a big reason.

Maggie Roche, the songwriter whose serene alto anchored the close harmonies of the Roches, her trio with her sisters, Terre and Suzzy, died on Saturday. She was 65.

Suzzy Roche said in a statement that the cause was breast cancer. She did not say where her sister died.

“She was a private person, too sensitive and shy for this world, but brimming with life, love, and talent,” Suzzy Roche wrote on the Roches’ Facebook page. “She was smart, wickedly funny, and authentic — not a false bone in her body — a brilliant songwriter, with a distinct unique perspective, all heart and soul.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/arts ... pe=article

For those of you at the Baltimore meetup, she wrote this song.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oDPFrtQH6lI

I did see -- I came here to post on this thread and to ask if you saw, Kate. I'm so sad. :brokenheart: I love singing that song.

Orlylicious

Post #3606 by Orlylicious » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:45 pm

OMG Mary Tyler Moore at 80.

We revered her and the show. Damn.

I hope the next Women's March honors Mary, she broke TV's glass ceiling. A true pioneer. There's so much to say about Mary and women's rights and advances.

Hope we hear from Betty White soon.

They cut from Mary's passing to live Donald about the wall being crazy and lying. Hate this!

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

kate520

Post #3607 by kate520 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Goodnight, Mary. :cry:

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.

Mohammed Ali

RVInit

Post #3608 by RVInit » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:57 pm

I am so sad. I love Mary Tyler Moore. Fun fact: My ex-husband had a crush on her. I totally got it, no way could I be jealous. He had a crush on me, too, so that probably helped :lol: . She was a comic genius, and also beautiful. I will have to send my ex a note.

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Addie

Post #3609 by Addie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:16 pm

:brokenheart:

¡Qué vergüenza!

Orlylicious

Post #3610 by Orlylicious » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Mary.jpg

All the legends are calling into CNN, Bob Newhart, Carl Reiner, Norman Lear...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Dr. Caligari

Post #3611 by Dr. Caligari » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:52 pm

Drummer Butch Trucks, a founding member of iconic Southern rock outfit the Allman Brothers Band, died Tuesday in West Palm Beach, Florida. He was 69.

“The Trucks and Allman Brothers Band families request all of Butch’s friends and fans to please respect our privacy at this time of sadness for our loss,” a representative for Trucks wrote in a statement. “Butch will play on in our hearts forever.”

Trucks founded the Allman Brothers Band in 1969 with guitarists Duane Allman and Dickey Betts, fellow drummer Jai Johanny “Jaimoe” Johanson, keyboardist Gregg Allman, and bassist Berry Oakley. “When Butch came along,” Betts told Guitar World in 2007, “he had that freight train, meat-and-potatoes kind of thing … he had the power thing we needed.”

Trucks played a crucial role in developing the group’s sound, which fused country and blues with the era’s burgeoning jam band scene — and their boundary-pushing aesthetic yielded one of rock’s defining live albums, 1971’s At Fillmore East, which captured a weekend of shows recorded at the famed Manhattan venue.

“We were in another universe,” Trucks told Rolling Stone last year when recalling the band’s early years. “We were out spreading the gospel of this music we had discovered. We never thought that we would be more than an opening act.”

Though Duane died in a 1971 motorcycle crash, the group remained intermittently active for decades and Trucks played on each of their 12 studio albums, including their final effort, 2003’s Hittin’ the Note.

In 1999, the Allman Brothers Band brought Trucks’ nephew, Derek Trucks, into the fold; the guitarist played with the band for 15 years.

Trucks is survived by his wife, four children, and four grandchildren.

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Estiveo

Post #3612 by Estiveo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:37 pm

"You're so much more endearing with the sound turned off." --Incubus, Talk Shows on Mute

Image x2 Image Image

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post #3613 by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Sir John Hurt dead at 77
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... man-809521

Loved him as an actor expecially his role in v for vendetta

Whip

Post #3614 by Whip » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Liked him Day of The Doctor

SueDB

Post #3615 by SueDB » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:Sir John Hurt dead at 77

Ironic as he played Winston Smith in the 1984 version of "1984" in that he passes with the ascension of the Short Fingered Vulgarian Trump the Rump.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.”
? William Gibson

Remember, Orly NEVAH disappoints!

Fortinbras

Post #3616 by Fortinbras » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:56 pm

John Hurt may be best remembered for playing Caligula in 'I Claudius', for twice playing Quentin Crisp - "one of the Stately Homos of England", and for his multitude of supporting roles in film, TV, and stage. He was truly devoted to his work, even sacrificing a couple of teeth to make himself look authentic for a film role. Although he played very stereotypic homosexuals several times - he had been romantically connected with one of the most beautiful fashion models in Europe and was the father of two sons.

MN-Skeptic

Post #3617 by MN-Skeptic » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:06 am

Barbara Hale, the Loyal Della Street on 'Perry Mason,' Dies at 94

Barbara Hale's death was noted on another thread, but I thought it should be mentioned here too.

Volkonski

Post #3618 by Volkonski » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:22 am

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:Sir John Hurt dead at 77

First became aware of John Hurt from the 1966 film A Man for All Seasons. He played Richard Rich who in real life managed to serve every English monarch from Henry VIII thru Elizabeth I by switching his beliefs as needed. As Wikipedia says- "Rich has had a highly negative reputation for immorality, financial dishonesty, double dealing, perjury and treachery that is seldom matched in all of English history." Hurt managed a wonderfully understated performance that showed Rich's lack of moral compass.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Fortinbras

Post #3619 by Fortinbras » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 pm

The inventor of Pac-Man, which was the basis of all late 20th century American culture, Masaya Nakamura, has died at the age of 91.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/masaya-nakamura-pac-man-dies_us_588fb4bee4b0522c7d3c644e?n9jnk0c528v706bt9&

Whatever4

Post #3620 by Whatever4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:25 am

Fortinbras wrote:The inventor of Pac-Man, which was the basis of all late 20th century American culture, Masaya Nakamura, has died at the age of 91.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/masaya-nakamura-pac-man-dies_us_588fb4bee4b0522c7d3c644e?n9jnk0c528v706bt9&

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eieOoUUl9RY

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

ObjectiveDoubter

Post #3621 by ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 am

MN-Skeptic wrote:Barbara Hale, the Loyal Della Street on 'Perry Mason,' Dies at 94

Barbara Hale's death was noted on another thread, but I thought it should be mentioned here too.

In the days of walking precincts, I was her precinct captain. I was happy to knock on her door, every time. "Barbara H. Katt," voter. She was remarkably unassuming, unHollywood. And warm. And an incredible voice, so deep! She died at home where I'd knocked so many times. I drove by last night, I couldn't resist. Light on, on the porch. The house, dark. A long productive life.

Estiveo

Post #3622 by Estiveo » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:24 am

Prof. Irwin Corey, the World's Foremost Authority, dead at 102

"You're so much more endearing with the sound turned off." --Incubus, Talk Shows on Mute

Image x2 Image Image

Whatever4

Post #3623 by Whatever4 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:08 pm

Estiveo wrote:Prof. Irwin Corey, the World's Foremost Authority, dead at 102

Kellyanne Conway was one of his prized students.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post #3624 by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Whatever4 wrote:

:lol:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

RVInit

Post #3625 by RVInit » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Whatever4 wrote:

:lol:

Except that he didn't take himself seriously. :lol:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

Return to “Current Events”