Rest in Peace

June bug

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by June bug » Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 am

kate520 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:32 am
Sterngard Friegen re: Tolland wrote: I miss him. :crybaby:

I miss all my Fogbowzers who are now gone.
So do I, Stern. We are family.
Me too. We are. :brokenheart:

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Fri May 17, 2019 3:18 pm

And ‘Caine Mutiny,’ ‘Winds of War’ author Herman Wouk has died.

It seems like all the greats are going.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Herman Wouk, Pulitzer Prize-winning master of sweeping historical fiction, dies at 103

By Becky Krystal May 17 at 12:28 PM

Herman Wouk, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of the Navy drama “The Caine Mutiny” whose sweeping novels about World War II, the Holocaust and the creation of Israel made him one of the most popular writers of his generation and helped revitalize the genre of historical fiction, died May 17 at his home in Palm Springs, Calif. He was 103.

His literary agent, Amy Rennert, confirmed the death but did not provide a cause.

Mr. Wouk (his last name is pronounced “Woke”) penned a dozen novels, a handful of plays and several nonfiction books over the course of his nearly 60-year career. A meticulous researcher, he specialized in stories of personal conflict set against the backdrop of compelling historical events, including “The Caine Mutiny” (1951), “The Winds of War” (1971) and “War and Remembrance” (1978). The latter two became ABC miniseries in the 1980s starring Robert Mitchum that averaged tens of millions of viewers over the course of their broadcast and were the highest-rated miniseries after Alex Haley’s “Roots.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... story.html

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 am

Niki Lauda obituary: 'A remarkable life lived in Technicolor'

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer

Niki Lauda, who has died aged 70, was a three-time Formula 1 world champion, non-executive chairman of the world champion Mercedes team, and one of the biggest names in motorsport.

He was also a pilot and successful businessman, who set up two airlines and continued to occasionally captain their planes into his late 60s.

But he will be remembered most for the remarkable bravery and resilience he showed in recovering from a fiery crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix at the fearsome Nurburgring.

https:// www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46781936

PaulG

Post by PaulG » Tue May 21, 2019 2:36 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... b24e707b39

Georgie Anne Geyer died at 84.

Followed her for years, although she became an increasingly shrill RWNJ. She sort of returned to sanity during the build up the Gulf War II which she lamented the inept empire building the Bush White House was attempting. She sort of vanished, I think, before the end of the Bush administration and I thought she had died years ago. She was interesting to read and while she was hopelessly biased, she wore her biases so openly it was easy to spot when she was going completely off the rails.

Judge Roy Bean

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Tue May 21, 2019 7:24 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:32 am
Niki Lauda obituary: 'A remarkable life lived in Technicolor'

By Andrew Benson
Chief F1 writer

Niki Lauda, who has died aged 70, was a three-time Formula 1 world champion, non-executive chairman of the world champion Mercedes team, and one of the biggest names in motorsport.

He was also a pilot and successful businessman, who set up two airlines and continued to occasionally captain their planes into his late 60s.

But he will be remembered most for the remarkable bravery and resilience he showed in recovering from a fiery crash at the 1976 German Grand Prix at the fearsome Nurburgring.

https:// www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/46781936
For a view of this man's racing life I would actually recommend the 2013 Ron Howard movie "Rush."
“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Sun May 26, 2019 11:57 am

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun May 26, 2019 12:16 pm

Bart was at the helm when I started watching the Packers in the late 50s. Time keeps marching on.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun May 26, 2019 12:42 pm

I always thought Bart Starr was the quintessential sports name.

Prominent people are living so long that a recent generation or two may not know who they are.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun May 26, 2019 6:03 pm

< confusing reporting about hundreds or thousands. Still touching.>
Thousands attend funeral for 90-year-old veteran after learning no family could attend

Thousands of strangers attended a funeral Saturday for a 90-year-old veteran after learning no family could attend.

Spring Grove Cemetery in Cincinnati, Ohio, posted on Friday asking people to come to the funeral for Korean War veteran Hezekiah Perkins.

"Mr. Perkins prearranged and prepaid his funeral and burial over 20 years, however, all of his family is currently residing out of town," the cemetery staff wrote on Friday. "We are asking any members of our community who are available to attend his burial tomorrow."

On Saturday, the cemetery said hundreds of people came to Perkins' funeral.

"Thank you to the thousands of patriotic citizens who came to pay tribute to Veteran Perkins today. We are humbled by the turnout and so very proud of our Spring Grove Family and especially our community," the cemetery's page posted after the service.
<SNIP>
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing ... earning-no
Spring Grove Cemetery & Arboretum
May 24 at 12:30 PM ·
Tomorrow afternoon at 3P Veteran Hezekiah Perkins will be buried in Section 137 Lot 318 Space 1. Mr. Perkins prearranged and prepaid his funeral and burial over 20 years, however, all of his family is currently residing out of town. Mr. Perkins' family has requested that their loved one is buried with Military Honors. Members of our Spring Grove family will act as pallbearers.

We are asking any members of our community who are available to attend his burial tomorrow to please contact our Spring Grove Funeral Homes Main Location (513) 853-1035 and ask for more information.

We also would like to recognize the Baxter Vault company for upgrading Mr. Perkins' vault to the Veteran model with a custom carapace at no additional cost.

► Show Spoiler
Spring Grove Cemetery & Arboretum
Yesterday at 1:41 PM ·
Thank you to the thousands of patriotic citizens who came to pay tribute to Veteran Perkins today. We are humbled by the turnout and so very proud of our Spring Grove Family and especially our community. Thank you to everyone who helped share this story on Facebook and in the media. Special thanks to Chelsea Eckstein, funeral home executive administrative assistant and Spring Grove Senior Grounds Manager, Mark Funke, for sharing these beautiful moments from the service.
► Show Spoiler
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun May 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Lovely story, Doll. Thanks.

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Sun May 26, 2019 6:51 pm

Addie wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 6:33 pm
Lovely story, Doll. Thanks.

The Facebook page for Spring Grove Cemetery & Arboretum has numerous posts and photos of the service.

It got really really dusty in my house. :(
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Lovely work on everyone’s part.

But low hundreds, if that.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Tue May 28, 2019 3:19 am

U.S. District Court Judge Richard P. Matsch, dead at 88.

From the Denver Post:

Richard P. Matsch, judge who oversaw Oklahoma City bombing trials in Denver, dies at 88
U.S. District Court Judge Richard P. Matsch, who presided over the Oklahoma City bombing trials in his Denver courtroom, has died, the federal court announced Monday night.

Matsch, 88, was appointed to the federal bench for the District of Colorado by President Richard Nixon in 1974. During a 45-year career as a federal judge, Matsch handled several high-profile cases, including some cases involving the desegregation of Denver schools and the 1987 trial of three men and a woman in the killing of Denver talk show host Alan Berg.

But an international spotlight focused on Matsch’s courtroom for three years after a bomb exploded outside a federal building in Oklahoma City, on April 19, 1995, killing 168 people and injuring hundreds.

The senior judge died Sunday, the court said.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue May 28, 2019 6:26 am

He was a good man and a great jurist. I have to admit I didn't realize he was still alive.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

chancery

Post by chancery » Tue May 28, 2019 3:50 pm

Tony Horwitz, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter and best-selling author known for embedding himself in the worlds he wrote about, whether joining a slaughterhouse assembly line or an army of Confederate battlefield re-enactors, died on Monday in Washington. He was 60.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/obit ... -dead.html

Confederates in the Attic is an extraordinary book. https://tonyhorwitz.com/confederates-in-the-attic/

RIP

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Tue May 28, 2019 8:59 pm

Thomas Silverstein, a multiple murderer and sometime member of the Aryan Brotherhood, distinguished for being kept in solitary for more than 30 years, from complications following heart surgery at age 67. Why'd they bother with heart surgery when he was serving 3 life sentences?!

https://www.westword.com/news/thomas-si ... 7-11342787

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu May 30, 2019 1:49 pm

My neighbor.

I don't really know what happened. I was out walking Maybedog last night, and saw that a good portion of my street (to include a parking area where my car was parked) was blocked off by caution tape, with a cop car stationed at either end. I told the cop my car was parked behind the tape and asked if I needed to move it (I was hoping for some info, but none was forthcoming -- he said I could move my car if I needed to but they didn't need me to move it). I took the dog back home, then went back out to see what was going on. I stayed a discreet distance away, and watched from around a corner. At first I thought they might be executing a search warrant, given the number of unmarked vehicles in the area. Cops were going in and out of the house, but weren't carrying anything. Eventually a white van pulled up, and they pulled a gurney from the back of the van and took it inside the house. I didn't hang around after they went inside with the gurney.

I don't know the people who live there. My husband said it was a couple in their mid-50s and they have a dog, and he talked with them a few times when he was out waking the dog. I don't know which of them died, but I can't imagine that the police would bring a gurney in the house otherwise. The whole thing just makes me really sad.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 30, 2019 1:53 pm

:bighug: for Maybenaut
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: Helen Keller supported women’s suffrage and was a co-founder of the American Civil Liberties Union.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Thu May 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Am I being detained?

ObjectiveDoubter

Post by ObjectiveDoubter » Thu May 30, 2019 6:06 pm

My heart breaks! Life will not be the same. Leon Redbone is dead.

On his website: "Leon Redbone crossed the delta for that beautiful shore at the age of 127. He departed our world with his guitar, his trusty companion Rover, and a simple tip of his hat."

Leon Redbone announcement

Since the mid-1970s, I have forged hill and dale to see him. Until 10 years ago, I was sure he was ancient ... I thought he was about 50 the first time I saw him, but he must have been about 25 because he was a year younger than I am! One of a Kind, a gentle soul whose cockeyed view of the world infused with humor and one mean guitar, made me happy. At a time when Baby Boomers (including me) were thrilling to the music of Woodstock and acid rock, I was still never happier than driving down the street with my tapedeck all the way up, and Leon Redbone blaring out the windows: "Take that pork chop to your pa, take the sausage to your ma. Mama's got a baby, teenana, teenana nana na." Clueless to what it meant, but loving it.

I saw him last, just before he retired four years ago, trudging up and back in to Santa Barbara on a rainy Saturday night. I assumed he retired because of a health issue. Sadly, I was right.

I. Am. Heartbroken. :crying: :crying: :crying:

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Thu May 30, 2019 6:22 pm

Sorry ObjectiveDoubter.

I was just thinking if him a couple of days ago.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Thu May 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Wow! Any moons ago when I was 16-17, I visited my grandparents in FL every summer vacation. A girlfriend and I would go to The Lime Tree INN on Siesta Beach and hang out because they never "carded" and you could lounge on the white sand and drink by the Tiki Bar. One Sunday two strange.dudes dressed in.black wearing Fedoras sat under the Tiki and started playing guitars and singing. I had never heard of Tom Waits or Leon Redbone. They played a song with lyrics having to do with little boys who never combed their hair who ended up living on the knickle over there. I've been a fan of theirs since.

RIP Leon.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:15 am

Another musical legend, one who suffered from debilitating mental illness, has died.

Roky Erickson Dead at 71

https://pitchfork.com/news/roky-erickso ... nN8zFjeI6I

He sang on this wonderful nugget from the 60s...

Am I being detained?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:25 pm

Leah Chase, New Orleans culinary restaurateur legend, 96. A sad sad day.
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Return to “Current Events”