Shootings at the University of Texas @ Austin

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I wasn't sure where to put this, but my son just called and told me about this. He had an 8 AM class right across from the library where the shooting(s) took place but it was canceled......a parent's worst nightmare. Details still sketchy. [link]Link,http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... index.html[/link]
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Addie

Post by Addie »

I read on DU the shooter is reported to have shot himself dead.Thank God your son is safe, Tex. How scary.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Yes thanks Mari. Of course the students are totally freaked out. Not much information available, but it appears the gunman committed suicide. Unclear whether there are any victims, and there was talk of a second shooter. Hopefully that is just fog of war stuff. The University of Texas has a very unfortunate history what with the Tower Sniper 40 some years ago. Son just called again; says the SWAT team is on campus and they've brought tanks in, still talking about a shooter with automatic weapons.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

My son's girlfriend is on campus. She is locked in a building and I have been texting with her. I am trying to get streaming from local TV stations but their web sites seem to be overloaded.

realist

Post by realist »

Glad your son and his GF are safe and hope they (and all others) remain so.Keep us informed as you can.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Local news in Austin is reporting they are still searching for a second suspect. No EMS has showed up which tells me they think there is great danger. Armored vehicles, aerial reinforcements, it's crazy. The kids are totally freaked out.

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Oh my TF. Hang in there. It's probably over already and the authorities are just being cautious. :hug:
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Oh my TF. Hang in there. It's probably over already and the authorities are just being cautious. :hug:Thanks...they seem to be taking the possibility of a second shooter quite seriously. I am trying to get info and feed it to the GF who is in lockdown. She and my son were in that library studying just last night.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Now there is great concern the shooter(s) may have planted explosives as well. Hopefully this is just a lone deranged person...

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

There was a presser in the last few minutes. Confirmed that the shooter shot outside the library first. Giant crime scene. The shooter had an AK-47. Also confirmed that they are still looking for a second suspect, sweeping the campus. The GF is still locked down in the building.

Highlands

Post by Highlands »

Oh no, TF, GF must be scared out of her mind. I am praying for you guys. {SMILIES_PATH}/pray.gif
If you took out all of the blood vessels in your body and lined them up, you would be dead. #science

kate520

Post by kate520 »

TF, do they know if the shooter is/was a student?Highlands, that's some crazy avatar! Love it.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Now the kids are hearing reports of a third gunman. Who knows, rumors are flying everywhere. What I do know for sure is that SWAT teams are going building by building, having students put their hands up, patting them down, demanding IDs and moving on. A massive job. Helicopters with police snipers are still hovering over the campus and the emergency sirens keep blaring. Being locked in a building with a bunch of strangers with endless sirens reminds me of when they tried to drive Noriega crazy. I mourn the loss of innocence of those kids.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

TF, do they know if the shooter is/was a student?Highlands, that's some crazy avatar! Love it.No info on the shooter. I have heard many reports that he was wearing a ski mask. I have to believe they must have some pretty good reason to believe there is a second suspect because they are employing a huge amount of resources.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

UT spokeswoman now says they are issuing an all clear for most of the campus and containing the situation near the PCL (library). It looks like the folks will be allowed to leave the lockdown soon.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Yes the GF was released and poor thing ran all the way back to her apt. off campus.

realist

Post by realist »

That is good to hear.Thanks for all the updates.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Epectitus

Post by Epectitus »

(Insert sigh of relief here)
"Hell, I would wear a dress and ruby red slippers all year if we can prove this" - Mike Zullo

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR »

From the other forum:

As of one hour ago [now two], the police are were still searching for a second possible shooter. There are several dissimilar descriptions of him, which inclines me to believe there is no second shooter rather than a gang of shooters. No injuries except to the undescribed, unnamed gunman. Classes are canceled, everyone is advised not to come to campus today, and if you are on campus, stay in your room wherever you are with the doors locked. [All this has since loosened.] It took one hour for UT to send out an emergency announcement.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

June bug

Post by June bug »

TF, I'm so happy to know that your son and his girlfriend are okay. Please give them an extra hug from all of us at PJ/TFB when you see them! :hug: (And here's one for you, too: :hug: )

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

From the other forum:

As of one hour ago [now two], the police are were still searching for a second possible shooter. There are several dissimilar descriptions of him, which inclines me to believe there is no second shooter rather than a gang of shooters. No injuries except to the undescribed, unnamed gunman. Classes are canceled, everyone is advised not to come to campus today, and if you are on campus, stay in your room wherever you are with the doors locked. [All this has since loosened.] It took one hour for UT to send out an emergency announcement.Actually, it was 40 minutes, which is entirely too long. A lot of anger from the students over that. And the President of the University emails parents all the time about BS stuff but I have yet to hear from him today....local news stations here didn't cover it, probably tens of thousands of desperate parents in Houston.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

TF, I'm so happy to know that your son and his girlfriend are okay. Please give them an extra hug from all of us at PJ/TFB when you see them! :hug: (And here's one for you, too: :hug: )Thanks Junie! They are now safe and downing at least one bottle of wine. My son remarked that the bars around campus will be packed all day.

June bug

Post by June bug »

My son remarked that the bars around campus will be packed all day.No doubt! ;)

realist

Post by realist »

TexasFilly wrote:My son remarked that the bars around campus will be packed all day.Indeed. :D
ImageX 4 ImageX36

Return to “Current Events”