Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Rest In Peace

John Thomas8

Time Team's Artist Has Passed

Post by John Thomas8 »

Victor Ambrus, the gentleman who did illustrations for the British program "Time Team" has passed. Here's a tribute:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest in Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... story.html
Lawrence Ferlinghetti, an acclaimed poet and longtime proprietor of City Lights, the San Francisco bookstore and avant-garde publishing house that catapulted the Beat Generation to fame and helped establish the city as a center of literary and cultural revolution, died Feb. 22 at his home in San Francisco. He was 101.

The cause was interstitial lung disease, said his son, Lorenzo.

Intensely private and fiercely political, Mr. Ferlinghetti became a household name in the 1950s when he stood trial on obscenity charges for publishing Allen Ginsberg’s hallucinatory anti-establishment manifesto “Howl.”

The trial brought attention from around the world for Ginsberg, his ecstatically irreverent poem and, by extension, the entire Beat Generation — a roving band of hipsters, poets and artists who rebelled against the country’s conservatism, experimenting with literary forms as well as with drugs, sex and spirituality.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Rest In Peace

Post by Volkonski »

David Sanger
@SangerNYT
Very sorry to hear of the death of Vernon Jordan, the longtime civil rights leader, and later adviser to Bill Clinton, and a lobbyist. He was also a neighbor in Washington, a complex figure and a source of fascinating historical insights into the politics and workings of DC.
Quote Tweet
Michael Beschloss
@BeschlossDC
· 19m
Vernon Jordan (1935-2021) with Barbara Jordan and ex-President Johnson at LBJ Library civil rights symposium, December 1972, a month before LBJ's death:

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by mojosapien »

Neville O'Neill Livingston aka Bunny Wailer.

He joined the 73 club due to a previous stroke (diabetes?), not COVID.
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Guardian news
@guardiannews
Vicar of Dibley actor Trevor Peacock dies aged 89
No, no, no, no, yes.

:(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Norton Juster, 91. Author of The Phantom Tollbooth.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 641946001/
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Matt Schudel
@MattSchudel
"The best Washington broadcast reporter of his generation”: Roger Mudd, probing TV journalist and network news anchor, dies at 93 https://washingtonpost.com/local/obitua ... ?tid=ss_tw
@postobits

@washingtonpost

@farhip

@CBSNews
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I remember that show and I enjoyed his character. Rest in Peace.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... story.html
Jessica McClintock, a fashion designer who outfitted generations of young women for their homecoming dances and proms, supplied their bridesmaid dresses and bridal gowns and thus evoked for many a lace-draped aura of nostalgia, died Feb. 16 at her home in San Francisco. She was 90.

She had congestive heart failure, said a half sister, Mary Santoro.

For more than half a century, ever since she struck out in California as a divorced mother with an untrained but keen eye for fashion, Ms. McClintock was one of the most popular designers of affordable formal wear for young women.

If a red carpet blazed the way to an average high school dance, and celebrity reporters craned over the velvet rope to pepper arrivals with that time-honored query — “Who are you wearing?” — the name “Jessica McClintock” would surely become a familiar reply.

For brides who did not wish to bankrupt themselves or burden their bridesmaids with the purchase of dresses in the four-digit price range, Ms. McClintock became a go-to label for attractive options. Perhaps the most famous bride to don a Jessica McClintock frock was Hillary Rodham when she married a Yale Law School classmate, Bill Clinton, in 1975. The dress was long-sleeved and lacy, with a ribbon in front — purchased, according to Brides magazine, for $53 at the Fayetteville, Ark., mall.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/m ... es-aged-81
Yaphet Kotto, the African-American actor best known for memorable roles in Alien and the 007 film Live and Let Die, as well as the hit TV series Homicide: Life on the Street, has died aged 81 in the Philippines.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

James Levine, Former Met Opera Maestro, Is Dead at 77
Mr. Levine was the longtime musical leader of the Met and orchestras in Boston and Munich. But his career ended in a scandal over allegations of sexual improprieties.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/17/obit ... 595e2e6e66
James Levine, the guiding maestro of the Metropolitan Opera for more than 40 years and one of the world’s most influential and admired conductors until allegations of sexual abuse and harassment ended his career, died on March 9 in Palm Springs, Calif. He was 77.

His death was confirmed on Wednesday morning by Dr. Len Horovitz, his physician. The cause was not immediately released, nor was it clear why the death had not been announced earlier. He had been living in Palm Springs.

After investigating accounts of sexual improprieties by Mr. Levine with younger men stretching over decades, the Met first suspended and then fired him in 2018, a precipitous fall from grace at the age of 74. He fought back with a defamation lawsuit.

Before the scandal emerged, Mr. Levine was a widely beloved maestro who for decades helped define the Met, the nation’s largest performing arts organization, expanding its repertory and burnishing its world-class orchestra. And his work extended well beyond that company. For seven years, starting in 2004, he was the music director of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, earning high praise during his initial seasons for revitalizing that esteemed ensemble, championing contemporary music and commissioning major works by living composers.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:crying: :crying:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP. :crying:
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:46 pm Norton Juster, 91. Author of The Phantom Tollbooth.

I read The Phantom Tollbooth so many times I can't count. My favorite quote I repeat endlessly these days “You can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and still come out completely dry. Most people do.”
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/bj ... uxbndlbing

B.J. Thomas died of stage 4 lung cancer. The voice of my teen years.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:56 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/bj ... uxbndlbing

I believe that he just revealed that he has stage 4 lung cancer. He's still alive at this point.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:56 am https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/bj ... uxbndlbing

I believe that he just revealed that he has stage 4 lung cancer. He's still alive at this point.
Thank you!! Slow brain today!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:46 pm Norton Juster, 91. Author of The Phantom Tollbooth.

Lordy, how I loved the story of Milo and Tock and the Spelling Bee. The car that runs on silence (it goes without saying) and all the other great characters sparked my life-long love of wordplay.

Goodbye, Norton. Merci beaucoup. I’ll remember you always. :bighug:
Mighty Dawg
Verified:

Post by Mighty Dawg »

PaulG wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:16 am

I read The Phantom Tollbooth so many times I can't count. My favorite quote I repeat endlessly these days “You can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and still come out completely dry. Most people do.”
"The Phantom Tollbooth" was a great influence on my life. The lessons from the story found their way into my career and other life choices.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Rolling Stone -

‘Arrested Development’ Actress Jessica Walter Dead at 80
Jessica Walter, the award-winning actress best known for portraying Lucille Bluth in Arrested Development, has died. She was 80 years old. A representative for Walter confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

Walter’s five-decade acting career spanned across film and television, from Clint Eastwood’s directorial debut Play Misty for Me, to the voice of Malory Archer on the animated series Archer, to Emmy-nominated roles on Trapper John, M.D. and Streets of San Francisco. Walter won an Emmy for portraying the title character on the police drama series Amy Prentiss.

For younger audiences, Walter was most recognizable for her role as Arrested Development matriarch Lucille Bluth, which earned her yet another Emmy nomination (for Outstanding Supporting Actress) as well as two SAG nominations. Walter served as the second National Vice President of the Screen Actors Guild and was an elected member of the SAG Board of Directors for over a decade.

Return to “General Stuff”