Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Prominent People Who Are Injured or Ill

AndyinPA
Verified:

Prominent People Who Are Injured or Ill

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/ashl ... d=75944637
Ashley Judd claims she nearly died after breaking her leg in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

The "Double Jeopardy" star was visiting the African nation when she had an accident. On Tuesday, she honored the people who saved her life.

The 52-year-old Judd shared photos on Instagram of her "grueling" rescue and independently honored those who spent countless hours keeping her safe.

/snip/

Judd was injured on Feb. 12 when she was hiking in the Congo to research the bonobos chimpanzee, an endangered species.

(Edited to change subject.)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Prominent People Who Are Injured or Ill

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... er-surgery
The Duke of Edinburgh has left the NHS hospital where he had heart surgery and been moved back to the private King Edward VII’s hospital for continuing treatment, Buckingham Palace has said.

Philip, 99, had a successful procedure for an existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s hospital in the City of London on Wednesday, three months before his 100th birthday.

The palace said in a statement: “Following the Duke of Edinburgh’s successful procedure at St Bartholomew’s hospital on Wednesday, His Royal Highness has been transferred to King Edward VII’s hospital this morning. The duke is expected to remain in hospital for continuing treatment for a number of days.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 pm https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/ashl ... d=75944637
Ashley Judd claims she nearly died after breaking her leg in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
This could be me, but I dislike the writer's use of "claim." Is anyone disputing her account? I didn't remember seeing that in the article. She's not claiming, for example, an election was stolen. She's simply saying she almost died after a serious accident hours from medical help.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:47 am
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:33 pm https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Culture/ashl ... d=75944637
This could be me, but I dislike the writer's use of "claim." Is anyone disputing her account? I didn't remember seeing that in the article. She's not claiming, for example, an election was stolen. She's simply saying she almost died after a serious accident hours from medical help.
I didn't like the wording either.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I think we had a thread on Tiger Woods before the crash here and after his. Every time I look at that picture of the SUV I think how hard it had to hit something to crush in the entire front end like that. It makes me wonder if he went airborne and smashed into the ground front first.

There has been a paucity of news on his condition other than the story that came out that he was actually unconscious when the first person, a local resident, arrived on the scene.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31 ... davit-says
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I haven’t gone looking for pictures but this one makes it seem as though he was driving on a straight stretch and just...flipped or whatever.

There are many canyon roads with switch backs but there aren’t many straight stretches of road in that town. It’s more likely that he did go airborne, from a road above where you see his SUV.

People go flying off the sides of roads around here all the time; sometimes the vehicles aren’t even noticed for months.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I've looked at the satellite view of the accident scene, and it's an almost straight section of very wide roadway. It looks like he had to have hit the median curb, lost control, rolled it including at least one longitudinal flip to go with the lateral, and ended up upside down after going down a slight (wooded) embankment towards the houses below.

I don't see how some combination of excessive speed/falling asleep at the wheel/DUI weren't a factor.
Image Image Image Image
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:06 pm :snippity:
I don't see how some combination of excessive speed/falling asleep at the wheel/DUI weren't a factor.
My BS detector was on high alert mode when I watched the news briefing by the LA County Sheriffs office later the day of the accident. We now know they hid the fact that a local resident was the first on the scene and found Woods unconscious. They failed to request a blood sample for a tox screen be done at the hospital and they seemed to go out of their way to say he did not appear to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Would that not be normal for any serious accident? The dude was barely conscious FFS.
filly

Post by filly »

Tiger Woods’ car crash in Los Angeles was caused by speeding, officials are expected to reveal on Wednesday, according to TMZ. Woods was on his way to a golf course earlier this year and was driving at 83 mph on a curved, steep road in Rancho Palos Verdes that had a 45 mph speed limit, officials will say. The vehicle actually sped up more as Woods lost control, according to the SUV’s black box, and the car flipped on its side. Woods will not receive any citations or charges filed against him. Additionally, a source tells TMZ that police felt there was no probable cause to get a warrant to search through his phone to determine if he was texting at the time, which is usually protocol for accidents. The golfer first told investigators that he didn’t remember the accident. He is now out of the hospital, recovering in Florida.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/tiger-woo ... s?ref=home
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://people.com/pets/animal-expert-c ... 0001474d64

Jack Hanna, who gained national recognition for his love of animals as the director of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, has been diagnosed with dementia, now thought to be Alzheimer's, his family announced on Wednesday.

Hanna's daughters, Kathaleen, Suzanne, and Julie, announced their 74-year-old father's diagnosis in a letter shared on social media Wednesday by the Columbus Zoo, where Hanna, also known as "Jungle Jack," served as director from 1978 to 1992. He officially retired from his conservation duties late last year.

"His condition has progressed much faster in the last few months than any of us could have anticipated," Hanna's daughters shared in the letter. "Sadly, Dad is no longer able to participate in public life as he used to, where people all over the world watched, learned, and laughed alongside him."
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:( :brokenheart:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Happy 93rd to Tom Lehrer
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

mojosapien wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:00 am Happy 93rd to Tom Lehrer
:lovestruck:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/02/entertai ... index.html
CNN —

Ashley Judd says it’s with “quiet awe” that she is walking, nearly six months after shattering her leg in four places while on a trip in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

The “Double Jeopardy” star and activist was hospitalized in February after sustaining severe injuries from a fall while journeying through rainforest.

On Sunday, Judd announced a major milestone on her road to recovery on Instagram, telling fans she managed to walk “up hill on uneven surfaces for an hour confidently.”

“Today, five months and three weeks after the accident in the Congolese rainforest, I walked again, and in what fashion!” Judd wrote alongside a series of videos and pictures of her recent hike in Switzerland.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 782082001/
WASHINGTON — Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., revealed on Thursday that over the past several months she was diagnosed with early-stage breast cancer and underwent successful treatment to combat it.

In a post on Medium, Klobuchar wrote that doctors diagnosed her with stage 1A cancer after a biopsy in the spring. After other tests, she underwent a lumpectomy to remove a tumor in her right breast. In May, she began radiation therapy.

"Of course this has been scary at times, since cancer is the word all of us fear, but at this point my doctors believe that my chances of developing cancer again are no greater than the average person," Klobuchar wrote.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... -drumstick
Musician Phil Collins can ‘barely hold’ a drumstick as health deteriorates

British musician Phil Collins says he can barely hold a drum stick because of deteriorating health that has also forced him to sit while singing during live performances.

The 70-year-old drummer and singer told the BBC in an interview broadcast on Thursday that he was frustrated at the challenges he faced. He underwent surgery on his back in 2009 and again in 2015 that affected his nerves, and he also has diabetes.

“I’m kind of physically challenged a bit, which is very frustrating because I’d love to be playing up there,” Collins said in the video interview to promote a comeback tour by the 1970s British progressive rock band Genesis.

“I can barely hold a [drum] stick with this hand, so there are certain physical things which get in the way,” Collins said.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:29 pm https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/ ... -drumstick
Musician Phil Collins can ‘barely hold’ a drumstick as health deteriorates

British musician Phil Collins says he can barely hold a drum stick because of deteriorating health that has also forced him to sit while singing during live performances.

The 70-year-old drummer and singer told the BBC in an interview broadcast on Thursday that he was frustrated at the challenges he faced. He underwent surgery on his back in 2009 and again in 2015 that affected his nerves, and he also has diabetes.

“I’m kind of physically challenged a bit, which is very frustrating because I’d love to be playing up there,” Collins said in the video interview to promote a comeback tour by the 1970s British progressive rock band Genesis.

“I can barely hold a [drum] stick with this hand, so there are certain physical things which get in the way,” Collins said.
I don't know if one of his problems is arthritis combined with the neurologic disorder, or something more severe. Personally, I can barely hold onto a pen, so I can't begin to imagine what drumming must be like.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I’ve listened to singers getting up in years and, for some, it’s their voices which are no longer up to the challenge. Two that I’m thinking of have much reduced ranges and their song selections and arrangements reflect their limitations.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I'm a massive Phil Collins fan, but come on. It's long past time for the guy to put up his drumsticks and settle down. His body has been telling him that for years. Stupid stubborn fool.
Hic sunt dracones
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:yeahthat:
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

When one has been performing at a very high level for a very long time and then finds that level declining even if you are the only one aware of it, it is devastating. Think:
"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I agree, but not necessarily in front of thousands, with the potential to wipe out their fond memories of your best days with one night of geriatric horror.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:25 pm I agree, but not necessarily in front of thousands, with the potential to wipe out their fond memories of your best days with one night of geriatric horror.
Assuming the artist gives a shit about making music for other people to approve of. Many artists and musicians do it because they can't NOT do it.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I know that not all performers have the money to retire. For many, it's a combination of spending too much during their earning years and not doing a good job at investing for the future.

It's important to establish continuing cash flow.

That's why actors need payments from television reruns and movie DVDs, and musicians need payments from songs they've recorded. The very smart musicians who have written songs will maintain ownership in order to profit from others performing those songs years later.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I know that many performers just like performing and so continue into their twilight years. My husband and I saw Bob Hope in his later years at the Minnesota State Fair. Fortunately his wife was with him. It was sad when he had to turn to her for her help in remembering a punch line.

Return to “General Stuff”