The Ahmaud Arbery case

SLQ

Re: The Ahmaud Arbery case

Post by SLQ »

Whoa! There is video before that which was released. Roddy was chasing Ahmaud before the McMichaels, and he hit Ahmaud with his truck while Ahmaud was trying to escape the two vehicles, which were in the process of trying to box him in.
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Before police arrived, while Ahmaud was on the ground just after Travis shot him, Roddy heard Travis say "F@cking ni@@ger."
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Travis's attorney is up first for cross. 15 minute recess. Reconvene about 8:00 am pacific time.
-- Yoda

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I listened to as much as I could before the recess. Dudes are fucked. Unfortunately I can't listen to the rest of it because of other obligations.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Maybenaut wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:50 am
I listened to as much as I could before the recess. Dudes are fucked. Unfortunately I can't listen to the rest of it because of other obligations.
Agreed about their fate. I'm going to make some coffee during the recess and keep listening and will live "blog" here. Anyone else listening, feel free to jump in.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

The one thing I missed because my attention was diverted for a short time is how exactly Roddy became involved. Best I could tell from later testimony is that he was in his front yard and joined in the chase, possibly because the McMichaels hollered to him. The McMichaels were chasing Ahmaud and went on the street where Roddy lives (not the same street they live on/the street where the house under construction was), but then he doubled back, which is when Roddy pulled out of his driveway and tried to block him in. The McMichaels continued forward and went around the block, during which time Roddy was maneuvering back and forth trying to block Ahmaud, which is when he hit him with his truck. Evidence about Roddy hitting Ahmaud with the truck was handprint smears on his rear driver's side door (extended cab), white cotton fibers (Ahmaud's t-shirt) on the rim of the bed, and a dent in that area. I believe the officer also testified that Roddy admitted to this.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Live broadcast still not back from the break at 8:11 am Pacific.
-- Yoda

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks, SLQ. Can't listen; updates appreciated (CL:UA)
No matter where you go, there you are! :towel:
ImageImageImage

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Still not live, but another interesting bit of the the officer's testimony is that the gun Greg McMichael was carrying was his former duty weapon stamped with the department stamp, which he apparently still had. Does anyone know if that's common, for a former police officer to retain his weapon? The officer testified that Greg's statement at the scene was that he yelled to Travis "Don't shoot!" But the officer also testified that Greg was "covering" Travis with his handgun from the back of the truck.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Back on.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Travis's attorney is fishing for what the "ongoing investigation" is comprised of. Prosecutor objects. Judge allows. Social media records, phone records (including the photo Travis's sister posted, phone GPS data.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Oh. Prior to the shooting, Travis posted on FB "Arm up" with regard to alleged break-ins. Travis also posted "They'd better not come to this side of the neighborhood." "Break-ins" is only the theft of the firearm from Travis''s unlocked truck. Two other reports to law enforcement were (1) report of a theft of someone renting a room who claimed the homeowner stole something, and (2) a report that a burlar alarm went off, but there was no further report.
-- Yoda

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

So responsible gun owner left a weapon unlocked.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Travis's attorney trying to discredit GBI investigation and how they became involved and GBI agent sayd he believes GBI head offerred assistance and governor stated publicly that GBI should get involved.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Contines fishing regarding the Barnhill letter. Prosecutor objects. Judge limits to whether he was aware of the letter, which he was. He did not read the letter until after he became officially involved.

Travis's attorney questioning about the involvement beginning on the morning of May 6 and the decision to charge and arrest on the afternoon of May 7. Asks what the GBI learned during that time frame:

Interviewed Larry English and learned there was never any burglary or theft.

Reviewed coroner's report.

Reviewed police reports.

Reviewed some cell phone records.

Discussion about intent to commit burglary while trespassing and says since he entered multiple times and did not take anything, there was no intent to take anything.

Two boys who entered took some scrap wood.

Objection again regarding relevance about questions surrounding earlier incidents being discussed on FB. Judge allows.

Atty wants to know if GBI officer compared Larry English's 911 calls to see if they comport with the GBI interview about nothing being stolen.

GBI Officer, annoyed, stated Greg McMichael stated in interview that he did not believe anything was taken.

Confirms Ahmaud had previously run through this neighborhood.
-- Yoda

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

SLQ wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 am
Still not live, but another interesting bit of the the officer's testimony is that the gun Greg McMichael was carrying was his former duty weapon stamped with the department stamp, which he apparently still had. Does anyone know if that's common, for a former police officer to retain his weapon? The officer testified that Greg's statement at the scene was that he yelled to Travis "Don't shoot!" But the officer also testified that Greg was "covering" Travis with his handgun from the back of the truck.
Most departments I'm aware of will (or at least that used to be true) allow a retiring officer to buy his duty weapon from the dept. I have my dad's duty weapon that he was issued in 1965 (I think) that has a 5 number serial number on a S&W .357 model 66. I don't think it's out of the ordinary for an officer to retain his duty weapon, either by purchasing it directly from the dept or as a "retirement gift" when he leaves.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

GBI: before charging, convassed neighborhood, spoke with family to confirm Ahmaud did routinely run, obtained audio, reviewed Roddy's video, which was stabalized, conducted other investigative acts he does not recall. Reviewed coomplete Glen County police report.

Atty asks when GBI learned that Travis "cursed and said that horrible word." Answer: May 13.

Trying to discredit Roddy (didn't make "F@cking N@@ger" comment until May 13 interview, got an attorney)

GBI: leanred prior to charging, confirmed that Ahmaud ran in all types of clothing, including cargo shorts.

Atty trying for a gotcha asks if there is any evidence Travis had used the N word before.

GBI: Yes, lots of times. :D Details evidence. Gives 2 examples. One is a text or IM saying he liked working for the Coast Guard on a boat because he didn't have to see any n-words.
-- Yoda

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

I wish he would just move the damn mic and quit leaning over every time.

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

GBI confirms he believes it is Ahmaud on the prior house security videos, based on viewing them.

Atty: Did other neighbors indicate English had told them items were stolen.

GBI: Fishing tackle and cooler appeared to be missing from a boat, but boat was parked various places, including another county, and English didn't know where/when items were taken.

GBI: Travis claimed he didn't even know Ahmaud had been in the house under construction at the time of the shooting. Travis claimedstring of burlaries, which is why they looked back through calls since July 1, 2019 and did a neighborhood canvas asking about burglaries. Repeats 2 entering autos (Travis's gun stolen, other reported nothing taken), room theft by owner, burglar alarm from above.

Judge finally sustains relevance objection on question about what GBI thinks Travis was trying to do,i.e. citizens arrest.

On rephrase, GBI sayd he wasn't concerned with what they thought, but with whether their actions were lawful.
-- Yoda

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:58 am
I wish he would just move the damn mic and quit leaning over every time.
Agreed.
-- Yoda

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Crap. I stepped out of the room for 30 seconds and missed who was under mental health supervision for auditory hallucinations.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:12 pm
Crap. I stepped out of the room for 30 seconds and missed who was under mental health supervision for auditory hallucinations.
Arbery

SLQ

Post by SLQ »

Judge sustains objection about the Barnhill letter and Ahmaud's alleged mental history on the basis of relevance to probable cause. Then lets him go ahead.

GBI: Investigation learned through history that Ahmaud had been diagnosed with mental illness in the past. Says he recalls hallucinations being mentioned. Mental health records have been subpoenaed. Info GBI knows about was in Glen County PD file, from the coroner's request. Not currently under treatment at the time of the shooting.

Asked what facts supported self defense, GBI expressed increduality and says that was merely the McMichael's contention.

Asked about Ahmaud striking Travis, GBI says Travis shot him the first time before Ahmaud struck Travis, and 2nd and 3rd shot were after that.

Did Travis smake any statements that he was scared, either in interview at scene, after, or on 911 call? GBI: Not that he recalls. (Facial expression shows he thinks this is ridiculous.)
-- Yoda

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

The judge is so careful to put his mask back on after he speaks....below his nose with his hands all over it.

bob

Post by bob »

(As an aside, preliminary hearings are routinely used by defendants to fish for more information. The intent often is not to put the prosecution to its burden, but to learn what prosection knows. And also to lock witnesses into testimony, in case they go sideways at trial.)
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Return to “Current Events”