DOJ: massive college cheating scheme

Gregg

Re: DOJ: massive college cheating scheme

Post by Gregg »

I get all kinds of grief from my Ohio State relatives and friends. I don't think they realize that Michigan is kind of a trade school for the big three and who am I to turn down a tuition free doctorate?

(I have a life long aversion to paying my own tuition)
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

Gregg wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 pm
I get all kinds of grief from my Ohio State relatives and friends. I don't think they realize that Michigan is kind of a trade school for the big three and who am I to turn down a tuition free doctorate?

Don't you mean "THE Ohio State", or is that just for pro football players?

much ado

Post by much ado »

Gregg wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 pm

I was an undergrad at Ohio State and a grad student at the University of Michigan. I had to be very careful where I parked when I drove back with Michigan plates to visit friends in Columbus during football season. I used to live in the Ohio Stadium (really).

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

JohnPCapitalist wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:55 pm
As an alum of both :ucla: and Berkeley, I frequently stoop to this sort of commentary nearly 40 years after graduating, especially since about 50 people from my high school class (and at least one family member) went to USC.

USC has 7 Heisman trophy winners, and their trophies are housed in a lavish building specially constructed to house them. They also have 9 Nobel Prize winners, who don't have a building displaying their medals or showing their addresses in Stockholm on video screens.

Cal has 107 Nobel Prizes, and they don't have a building to enshrine them because there's not a piece of land in Central Campus big enough to build one on. If you win one, you do, however, get a parking permit and a reserved space that allows you to park right near your office, a coveted prize indeed.

Stanford has 83 Nobels (though their academic standards are obviously lower than ours because they somehow managed to let one Heisman Trophy winner slip through, while our record of 50+ years without a Rose Bowl appearance remains intact).
What you said, JP. I don't give a rat's patoot how well my local college does in athletics. I do cheer them on, but if I were to start over again I wouldn't consider attending any of the area colleges, universities included. Ditto the small town college I graduated from. It's the academics. Most colleges seem to have forgotten what their primary mission is. How well do they prepare their students for the outside world? How many are employed doing something other than a minimum wage no benefits job within a year of graduation? Most elite colleges separate the wheat from the chaff and most of their students did well academically in high school. That's all I'll give them credit for. Take a look at our fine president. He's a graduate of a well known university and I'd bet that he'd have trouble passing an eighth grade exam in any subject.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:41 pm

What you said, JP. I don't give a rat's patoot how well my local college does in athletics. I do cheer them on, but if I were to start over again I wouldn't consider attending any of the area colleges, universities included. Ditto the small town college I graduated from. It's the academics. Most colleges seem to have forgotten what their primary mission is. How well do they prepare their students for the outside world? How many are employed doing something other than a minimum wage no benefits job within a year of graduation? Most elite colleges separate the wheat from the chaff and most of their students did well academically in high school. That's all I'll give them credit for. Take a look at our fine president. He's a graduate of a well known university and I'd bet that he'd have trouble passing an eighth grade exam in any subject.

FWIW, Trump is definitely one of the ones who got daddy to ''fix'' his application. As for the how well are they doing now.... :bag: look at the University of Kentucky! They have a slew of kids who dropped out after their freshmen year and make millions! :thumbs: :thumbs:

(UK is a fine little ag and teacher's college with a few major league sports franchises attached, and I think the sports are someday going to ruin the college. Most of my dad's family are fans or alumni of UK and I grew up a UK fan myself, but every time I see a headline about some scandal in college sports, I'm afraid to look and find that this time, UK got caught.)
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Jim

Post by Jim »

You've got to be kidding...

Wait, Olivia Jade Was Apparently Involved in ANOTHER Completely Bizarre Cheating Scandal
Between the Tristan Thompson Cheating Scandal and the College Cheating Scandal, there are just Too. Many. Scandals. And now Lori Loughlin’s influencer daughter Olivia Jade is apparently involved in yet another drama.

The Daily Mail reports that Olivia was on a 2016 episode of Tap That Awesome App (a Verizon phone challenge...IDEK) and that the game was rigged to let her win. Turns out, fellow influencer Marissa Rachel actually won the game-in front of a live audience, no less!-and she claims studio execs stepped in and made producers reshoot the final questions to secure Olivia the win. Which...what?!
:snippity:

“They competed in the first round and Marissa Rachel won,” the source said. “She answered the most questions right and was declared the winner in front of a live studio audience of about 25 people as well as dozens of other crew members. The host announced her as the winner and everyone applauded and cheered. But right after Marissa was declared the winner, two studio executives suddenly came on-set and stopped the shoot and said, ‘We have to film it again with Olivia as the winner.’ Everyone was confused. Marissa Rachel said, ‘But I already won.’”

The source added that “while they were reshooting, Marissa and Rydel [another contestant] were instructed not to buzz in with the correct answers so that Olivia could answer and win. They then allegedly refilmed the scene with Olivia announced as the winner and instructed the studio audience to cheer and clap for Olivia."

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Audacious college admissions scandal left so many red flags missed by so many
By JOEL RUBIN, MATTHEW ORMSETH and SUHAUNA HUSSAIN
MAR 15, 2019 | 5:15 PM

William “Rick” Singer ran a tight operation.

For years, he and his team churned out the bribes and lies at the heart of his college admission scam without getting caught.

But there were close calls.

Well before federal investigators caught a break last year that led them to the Newport Beach businessman and what prosecutors allege was his network of wealthy parents and corrupt college officials, there were a handful of people along the way who caught glimpses of the deception Singer was peddling and raised red flags.

Questions from a counselor at a Los Angeles private school about a student who had been admitted to USC as a water polo player despite not playing the sport sent Singer and a USC administrator scrambling to shut down the inquiry with more lies. And in another case, when a loose-lipped father started boasting to parents about Singer, another father paying Singer quickly told him to keep quiet.

These and other near-misses that Singer dodged underscore not just the brazenness of his operation, but the fine line he walked exploiting vulnerabilities in the opaque college admissions process and parents’ desperation to see their kids admitted into top-tier universities.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... story.html

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

ph190314.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Shizzle Popped

Post by Shizzle Popped »

tmclo190313.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If Trump was a stopped clock he still wouldn't be right twice a day.

Photoguy

Post by Photoguy »

Just reading some of the details on the individual cases. Evidently, one family paid a bribe to have their son admitted to USC as a basketball recruit. His athletic profile listed him as being 6'1". He's actually 5'5".

https://deadspin.com/get-to-know-the-ri ... 1833244052

woodworker

Post by woodworker »

And, just because I am a cynical and suspicious asshole, I would wager that all of the parents and students involved are the first to complain about affirmative action and similar programs and love to complain about THOSE students who didn't get in on the merits. In fact, I suspect that any time Johnny or Buffy doesn't get in or win something, they and their parents start complaining about the OTHERS taking their spot or their win.
Pence / Haley -- 2020 "I Won't Call Her Mother" and "We Will Be The Best Team Ever, But Never Alone Together"

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

A wager I would not take.
Image Image Image Image Image

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

The latest twist is that some colleges are talking about revoking/rescinding the diplomas issued to students whose parents gamjed the admissions process.
Except, of course, this only applies to (1) the students whose names came from this one bagman (about 50 names) and not from any other, altho there were probably several running such schemes (I wonder if some parents will have a bagman flown out or rubbed out rather than have their kid lose his diploma). Also this does not apply to (2) students whose parents gamed the process by huge endowments to the college itself, nor to (3) those who got in because their parent or grandparent was an alum.

Ignored is the fact that these kids did earn diplomas, sometimes even with honors or advanced degrees. In other words, these kids weren't dummies; they could carry their weight in college. Just because their parents didn't have enough money to build a concert hall or buy a grandfather didn't mean the kids were stupid. The suggestion that the SATs and high school transcripts might be an unreliable guide to college worthiness has been totally ignored. Also the myth that only the best of the best, the highest SATs and GPAs, can succeed in the prestigious universities is shot to hell -- get past the admissions bramble patch and the kids whose parents gamed the system can do as well as the supposedly "deserving" kids whose parents endowed a dormitory.

Simple fact, the admissions system is, and always was, the upper crust's Maginot Line to keep the middle and working classes (and of course, racial minorities) out of the Blue Book, out of the Ivy League, out of the yellow brick road. Over the decades a few compromises had to be made, but by and large the use of the admissions system as snobbery's ultimate velvet rope held firm.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la- ... 5fd6f8ec62
Of the many outrageous allegations revealed by federal prosecutors in the college cheating scandal, one stands out.

Someone paid $6.5 million to get his or her children into elite schools. But the identity of that parent — and details about which schools were involved — remains a mystery nearly two weeks after authorities in Boston filed the charges against dozens of wealthy individuals.

The lack of information about the money is more notable given that the charges go into intense detail about the alleged actions of other parents, who are accused of bribing and cheating to get their kids into schools such as Yale, USC and UCLA.

Prosecutors have mentioned the $6.5 million in payments at a news conference and in court. But they are not included in the hundreds of pages detailing the charges.

The name was not divulged,” Christina Sterling, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Boston, told The Times in an email. “We did not tie the amount to anyone by name. That is not public.”

She declined to say whether the person who paid the massive sum is among those already charged. But that is unlikely because the court records show none of the other parents allegedly paid anywhere close to that amount of money.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

You'd think that $6.5 million would buy a diploma. That would be a scandal of all scandals. You can't revoke the diploma of the child because of its parents, but you can if the child did nothing in the four years of college.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

:think:

I wonder if the whole investigation of the college cheating scheme was the offshoot of some other investigation. I don’t recall it ever being made public how all of this came to the attention of the authorities.

"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Jim

Post by Jim »

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:21 am

I wonder if the whole investigation of the college cheating scheme was the offshoot of some other investigation. I don’t recall it ever being made public how all of this came to the attention of the authorities.

By accident...

A Yale soccer coach caught in a sting: How the FBI broke open the sweeping college admission scandal
The scam was discovered by accident. A financial executive wanting leniency in the securities case told federal authorities that Meredith sought a bribe to get his daughter into Yale, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing "people familiar with the investigation."

After the Boston sting operation, Meredith cooperated with federal authorities, the report said, making him the first – and key – domino in the largest college admissions scandal in U.S. history.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Ah. Thanks. :thumbs:
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Elite Colleges Announce Record Low Admission Rates in Wake of College Cheating Scandal

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/29/us/c ... &smtyp=cur
Several of the elite colleges named in court papers in the cheating scandal set admissions records this week. Yale’s admission rate sank to 5.91 percent from 6.31 percent last year, or 2,178 students out of a record-high pool of 36,843. The rate was 11 percent at the University of Southern California, the lowest ever, out of 66,000 freshman applications.

Colleges have a clear incentive to tamp down their admission rates, which figure in annual ranking surveys and help burnish schools’ sought-after status. At the same time, the plunging rates create more anxiety for students and parents as they weigh their higher education options.

Some schools have recognized that publicizing their admissions numbers helps fuel the madness of college admissions and have tried to pull back.

Last year, Stanford University, which is also mentioned in court documents in the scandal, announced that it would no longer release admissions data to the public, only to the federal government. Last year, its acceptance rate was 4.3 percent for the Class of 2022, below those of Harvard and Yale.
Checked the acceptance rate at my alma mater. It is 6.7%. :o As recently as the Class of 2012 it was 11.6%. For my class the rate was 33%. There were 4582 applications my year and 1479 were offered admission. This year there were 21,706 applications and 1464 were offered admission.

The demand for top colleges has increased but the number of top college openings hasn't kept up.

In 1970 there were 2.15 million students who attended private colleges. Now there are 5.15 million. (The numbers for public colleges are 6.4 million and 14.8 million).

The undergraduate population at my alma mater is only 13% larger now than in 1970.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Another guilty plea.
Andrew Dalton

Verified account

@andyjamesdalton
Follow Follow @andyjamesdalton
More
Felicity Huffman statement 1/4: "I am pleading guilty to the charge brought against me by the United States Attorney's Office. I am in full acceptance of my guilt, and with deep regret and shame over what I have done."

2:12 PM - 8 Apr 2019

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

CBS News

Verified account

@CBSNews
33m33 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: Fourteen defendants, including actress Felicity Huffman, will plead guilty in the college admissions scandal https://cbsn.ws/2P0bliH

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

An uncharacteristically smart move. End the circus now and get it over with. trusting that the media will be off chasing another shiny inside 5 minutes.
The difference between the Middle Ages, and the Age of the Internet, is that in the Middle Ages no-one thought the Earth was flat.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
7m7 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: Actress Lori Loughlin, her husband and 14 other parents hit with additional charges, including a count of conspiracy to commit money laundering, in college admissions scandal. https://abcn.ws/2KmSoba

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Suranis wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:31 am
An uncharacteristically smart move. End the circus now and get it over with. trusting that the media will be off chasing another shiny inside 5 minutes.
Hmm...
Volkonski wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:06 pm
ABC News

Verified account

@ABC
7m7 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: Actress Lori Loughlin, her husband and 14 other parents hit with additional charges, including a count of conspiracy to commit money laundering, in college admissions scandal. https://abcn.ws/2KmSoba
I wonder if those who pled guilty had the potential of also being charged in the new indictment. Get out now before it gets worse.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s possible that they didn’t like what the government was offering. It is equally possible that the government is making charging decisions based on something else — amount of money involved, for example. Time will tell.

Return to “Current Events”