Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Cats!

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Re: Cats!

Post by fierceredpanda »

More cats, you say?

Here are my and Mrs. FRP's overlords, Sophie (12, black) and Hitchens (7, blue/grey). Hitch is exactly a year past his surgery for a bladder stone, and is back to being his obnoxious self. He's more like a dog or a perpetual kitten than a middle-aged cat, really. We frequently joke that Taz or Peter Pan would have been better names for him had we known. As for Sophie, she's the boss and empress of everything. A diligent WFH supervisor for me (she is sitting next to my laptop waiting for my next Zoom court appearance as I type this), and a vigilant guardian and cuddler for Mrs. FRP every night when she goes to bed a couple hours before me. She's also super serious, with occasional (and wonderful) moments of forgetting her dignity and getting playful. She wants us to think she hates Hitchens, so she hisses lamely at him when we're around. Then we catch the two of them sleeping on the bed or the chaise lounge together like this, and the truth is revealed.
Attachments
busted.jpg
busted.jpg (79.89 KiB) Viewed 5264 times
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

fierceredpanda wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:15 pm More cats, you say?

Here are my and Mrs. FRP's overlords, Sophie (12, black) and Hitchens (7, blue/grey). Hitch is exactly a year past his surgery for a bladder stone, and is back to being his obnoxious self. He's more like a dog or a perpetual kitten than a middle-aged cat, really. We frequently joke that Taz or Peter Pan would have been better names for him had we known. As for Sophie, she's the boss and empress of everything. A diligent WFH supervisor for me (she is sitting next to my laptop waiting for my next Zoom court appearance as I type this), and a vigilant guardian and cuddler for Mrs. FRP every night when she goes to bed a couple hours before me. She's also super serious, with occasional (and wonderful) moments of forgetting her dignity and getting playful. She wants us to think she hates Hitchens, so she hisses lamely at him when we're around. Then we catch the two of them sleeping on the bed or the chaise lounge together like this, and the truth is revealed.
It's good to have cat supervisors, as long as they don't try to sit on the keyboards.

Poor Hitchens, I haven't had a cat with bladder stones, and hope I never do. That's why I have only one male cat (don't need any blocked urethras here!).
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

This is Maisie keeping a close watch on our backyard from the futon in my office. The birds and the squirrels keep her endlessly entertained. :)

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tencats

Post by tencats »

Feral cats live a dangerous and short existence because of the threats from fighting, disease, and by me its most often the city vehicle traffic that gets them. The two kittens here are from my feral cat colony that I maintain. I shouldn't have been able to find these two as all cats are TNRed or so I thought. But sometimes a new recruit passes through and stays for the feedings. Had observed the kittens earlier as new born and then they were gone. Mother cats will always move her kittens after the first ten days or so. Never saw the mother cat again but the kittens reappeared one at a time as they got into trouble. Wasn't supposed to but took them in.

Got them here in training to fight. Its a cage match unedited for violence or length. No winner here as they are evenly matched siblings, females.
They never stop.

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

FRP is back!!!
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Siri enjoying the sunshine in HER bed which Pancake tried to destroy BUT Mom figured out how to fix it. :D
IMG_1545.jpg
IMG_1545.jpg (372.02 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I've owned many cats over the years, with more than half of them being either tortoiseshell, patched torbie, or blue cream. But somehow I've never managed to adopt a calico/tortoiseshell and white.

Your kitty is beautiful!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Siri and I thank you! She is an exact replica of our first calico-Jacqueline.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Kittybear spends several hours every day in her box.

Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:59 am Siri and I thank you! She is an exact replica of our first calico-Jacqueline.
She is very special then!

Did you know (and I bet you do) that although cats have been cloned--the first cat cloned (CC) used a donor cat which was described as a calico, but photos show the donor cat looked like a patched torbie and white--it is impossible to clone a tortoiseshell. Here's why:

"Tortoiseshell cats are the result of two different genes teaming up. One gene will turn the cat red, a nice solid ginger. The other will make it a black cat. Each gene is inherited from one of the tortoiseshell's parents. Each is on one of the tortie's X chromosomes. The tortoiseshell look is produced because of a process called ‘X-linked inactivation.' The cells of developing embryo of the tortoiseshell cat randomly shut off one of the X chromosomes. And there's no general consensus among the cells about which one to switch off, so each cell simply picks one. This random shut-off is why tortoiseshells have an unpatterned mix of black and red hair over their bodies.

Cloning a tortoiseshell involves taking the DNA from one cell. Since each of the cells have only one active X chromosome, when a new tortoiseshell embryo is developing using the borrowed DNA, it only has one gene affecting its coloration.

Thus, a cloned tortoiseshell kitten will generally be either black or red. Even if someone were to nab a cell from a developing embryo before the X-linked inactivation happened, the new cloned kitten would also randomly inactivate its X chromosomes, leaving two cloned siblings that don't have the exact same color pattern. "

The cloned cat, CC/Carbon Copy/Copy Cat, was a brown tabby and white (brown tabbys are genetically black cats with a tabby pattern).
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Trouble snores sometimes.

Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer

DAAAAAAAAAAAD! You posted ME on the internet!!!! I am so EMBARRASSED!!!!!! Now I'll NEVER get a date to the prom!!!!!!
Tiredretiredlawyer

We have owned two tortoise shell cats too, also. Torbies are new to me!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Estiveo, I laughed out loud listening to your cat snore. It sounded like I was listening to Tulip. She starts out sleeping next to me, nestled between my arm and torso with her legs and head resting on my arm. Eventually she gets up and goes to sleep on her scratching post/bed. She wakes me up with the snoring. So, yeah, I can believe a sweet well behaved kitty can snore heavily, I get to listen to it pretty often myself.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

23231279_1772700782775378_6296765281428785485_n.jpg
23231279_1772700782775378_6296765281428785485_n.jpg (69.88 KiB) Viewed 5047 times
Here are my door guardians. Draco on the left and Duder on the right. They both showed up in my neighborhood as feral or abandoned cats.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

SuzieC wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:38 pm 23231279_1772700782775378_6296765281428785485_n.jpg

Here are my door guardians.
They look just like my Boo Radley, except the only thing his fat ass protects is me. 15 years we've had him and he still hisses and growls at my husband if he happens to get between me and Boo.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

SuzieC wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Here are my door guardians. Draco on the left and Duder on the right. They both showed up in my neighborhood as feral or abandoned cats.
They look quite determined to protect you.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Azastan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 pm

Draco has very piercing eyes. :?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Estiveo wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:05 pm Trouble snores sometimes.

Sounds like an intoxicated MrDaisy :lol: It's the only time he actually snores.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Volkonski wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:14 pm
Azastan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:20 pm

Draco has very piercing eyes. :?
That's what everyone says! Those green eyes!

I love seeing everyone's cats although Kate520's post made me cry.

PS the upside down cat in my avatar is our former cat Jazmin. She was evil and bitey but my son adored her when he was a little boy.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Cats are not “evil and bites” it’s just that some humans don’t know their place. :mrgreen:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Screenshot_20210205_124129.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

George. Our only male cat, he belonged to one of my nieces, but she wasn't allowed to have pets other than a ten gallon freshwater tank for fish at her apartment building. She got threatened with eviction and asked if I would be able to give him a home. We've had him since October of 2012. I drove down to California to get him and brought him back.

He hates being indoors all the time, so he's the 'barn cat' a couple of times a day, but always brought in at night. He's astonishingly friendly--one of those cats which will allow small children to pick him up and hug him. He will stroll up to any and all strangers demanding that he be petted and admired. Don't leave your car doors open or you may gain a new best friend.
Georgefront3172021.jpg
Georgefront3172021.jpg (142.58 KiB) Viewed 4812 times

Return to “General Stuff”