Jamal Khashoggi murder... will it ensnare Trump?

MsDaisy

Re: Jamal Khashoggi murder... will it ensnare Trump?

Post by MsDaisy »

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Saudi Arabia Weighs Blaming Intelligence Official for Khashoggi Killing

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/18/worl ... rabia.html
Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump’s son-in-law and Middle East adviser, has been urging the president to stand by Prince Mohammed, according to a person close to the White House and a former official with knowledge of the discussions.

Mr. Kushner has argued that the outrage over Mr. Khashoggi’s disappearance and possible killing will pass, just as it did after other Saudi errors l
How the fuck does the little twit consider "death by dismemberment" an "error"! Seriously? :madguy:
Birfers are toast

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

As CNN pointed out yesterday, so far, we only have second-hand reports (Turkish government leaking to Turkish media and then those accounts being picked up by the Western media.) Also as CNN reported yesterday, Turkey has an appalling history of its own when it comes to freedom of the press. I'm not saying the Turkish account is wrong, and I'm certainly not saying Mr Khashoggi wasn't murdered either by the request of MBS or at the very least with his knowledge after-the-fact; but what I'm saying is, let's not just assume that the Turkish government is telling the Turkish media the truth. They have their own fish to fry here too. I'll feel much more confident in saying he was killed the way the Turkish government says he was killed when the recordings are verified by a source like the British government.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

maydijo wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:52 pm
As CNN pointed out yesterday, so far, we only have second-hand reports (Turkish government leaking to Turkish media and then those accounts being picked up by the Western media.) Also as CNN reported yesterday, Turkey has an appalling history of its own when it comes to freedom of the press. I'm not saying the Turkish account is wrong, and I'm certainly not saying Mr Khashoggi wasn't murdered either by the request of MBS or at the very least with his knowledge after-the-fact; but what I'm saying is, let's not just assume that the Turkish government is telling the Turkish media the truth. They have their own fish to fry here too. I'll feel much more confident in saying he was killed the way the Turkish government says he was killed when the recordings are verified by a source like the British government.
Yeah, that's what worries me. They're not in the thick of this because they're nice guys or whatever, but we don't know what their agenda is. Still...

https://abcnews.go.com/International/po ... al_fb_abcn
Speaking exclusively and on condition of anonymity to ABC News, the official claimed the recording was played in meetings in Turkey on Wednesday, and that Pompeo was given a transcript of the recordings.

Separately, ABC News has also learned that Turkish officials believe that Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate following a struggle that lasted eight minutes and that they believe he died of strangulation.

The White House referred questions to the State Department which denied Pompeo had heard the recording.

"The secretary addressed this yesterday. He has not heard a tape," his spokeswoman Heather Nauert told ABC News in an email.

Asked about receiving a transcript of the recording, Nauert told ABC News: "I don't have anything on that."

Yesterday, on his way back from Istanbul, Pompeo was asked if he had heard the audio.

"I don’t have anything to say about that," he said.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The look on the face of the guy on the left!! But help me out since I'm too lazy to Google, who is the guy who just said Trump should get off his fat ass?

maydijo

Post by maydijo »

Kendra wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 pm

Yeah, that's what worries me. They're not in the thick of this because they're nice guys or whatever, but we don't know what their agenda is. Still...

https://abcnews.go.com/International/po ... al_fb_abcn
Speaking exclusively and on condition of anonymity to ABC News, the official claimed the recording was played in meetings in Turkey on Wednesday, and that Pompeo was given a transcript of the recordings.

Separately, ABC News has also learned that Turkish officials believe that Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi consulate following a struggle that lasted eight minutes and that they believe he died of strangulation.

The White House referred questions to the State Department which denied Pompeo had heard the recording.

"The secretary addressed this yesterday. He has not heard a tape," his spokeswoman Heather Nauert told ABC News in an email.

Asked about receiving a transcript of the recording, Nauert told ABC News: "I don't have anything on that."

Yesterday, on his way back from Istanbul, Pompeo was asked if he had heard the audio.

"I don’t have anything to say about that," he said.

Smart money is on Turkey telling the truth about the recordings, because they'd have to know that a lie that big would come out and would bite them in the butt - perhaps not domestically, but certainly internationally. However, we don't know how much of what Turkey is doing is for a domestic audience, or for a limited regional audience. I am inclined to believe that something truly terrible happened to Khoshoggi and that MBS was involved in some way; but the man is (almost certainly) dead and so, at this point, it doesn't really cost us anything to wait and let this play out. Turkey has apparently passed the recordings on to the US government; no doubt they've also passed the recordings on to other governments; the truth will come out. And the Congressional GOP is furious about this too - they aren't snapping back to attention in a hurry - so I am fairly confident, when the truth comes out, that there will be consequences.

(However, on a purely selfish note, and knowing this will meet with wide condemnation, as it should, when we're already paying $1.55 a litre for petrol, the consequences of those consequences kind of scare me. :bag: )

HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

While I agree and pointed out before that Turkey is definitely angling to squeeze whatever they can out of the Saudis and other players, and they have numerous angles including Syria, but I also agree that it would definitely backfire if they don't have tapes. Blaming a single rogue element when they have proof and identities of the Saudi hit-team:
Out of the 15 names @Sabah published, so far it seems there are 2 doctor officers, 2 intelligence officers, 2 pilots, and 8 of the 15 are Royal Guards, 6 of them from MBS's office and his closest circles
Also, in case you didn't realize this, as I didn't, the US has no SA ambassador...Hey, Nikki Haley is free...
Either give me more wine or leave me alone. - Rumi

bob

Post by bob »

HST's Ghost wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:59 pm
Also, in case you didn't realize this, as I didn't, the US has no SA ambassador...
Officially; Kushner's seen as the unofficial ambassador.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Lani wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:34 am
Prominent evangelical leader on Khashoggi crisis: let’s not risk “$100 billion worth of arms sales”
Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network, appeared on its flagship television show The 700 Club on Monday to caution Americans against allowing the United States’ relationship with Saudi Arabia to deteriorate over Khashoggi’s death.

“For those who are screaming blood for the Saudis — look, these people are key allies,” Robertson said. While he called the faith of the Wahabists — the hardline Islamist sect to which the Saudi Royal Family belongs — “obnoxious,” he urged viewers to remember that “we’ve got an arms deal that everybody wanted a piece of…it’ll be a lot of jobs, a lot of money come to our coffers. It’s not something you want to blow up willy-nilly.”
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/1 ... ssion=true

Am I the only one who sees something wrong with church leaders cheering for munitions deals? Does Jesus need Strike Fighter Planes, attack helicopters and laser guided weapons?
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

There is no information about the details of the accident that left Albostani dead.
His BMW 5 series was involved in a collision with a medium anti-tank missile.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:19 pm
There is no information about the details of the accident that left Albostani dead.
His BMW 5 series was involved in a collision with a medium anti-tank missile.
I hate it when that happens. That’s why I don’t drive.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

But hey, it was a Raytheon/Lockheed Martin Marietta missile, so at least they bought American!

Lani

Post by Lani »

Charles Johnson
@Green_Footballs
Stunning. In the midst of a huge international incident about a murdered journalist, Trump applauds violence against journalists.

Quote Tweet
Daniel Dale
@ddale8
Trump: "I had heard that he bodyslammed a reporter. And he was way up...and I said...I said oh this is terrible he's gonna lose...then I said wait a minute, I know Montana pretty well, I think it might help him. And it did."

3:13 PM · Oct 18, 2018

Lani

Post by Lani »

Dp1lIPFVAAAt1PY.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lani

Post by Lani »

Orchestrated campaign to smear Khashoggi. Just a snippet of the assaults on his memory -

Conservatives mount a whisper campaign smearing Khashoggi in defense of Trump
A story in far-right FrontPage magazine casts Khashoggi as a “cynical and manipulative apologist for Islamic terrorism, not the mythical martyred dissident whose disappearance the media has spent the worst part of a week raving about,” and features a garish cartoon of bin Laden and Khashoggi with their arms around each other.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... edirect=on

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Here's the video of Trump on Greg Gianforte body slamming Ben Jacobs: "Any guy that can do a body slam, he's my kind of guy."
Sekrit Stuffs!

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 3f1fe0a5e1

So it begins...
Hard-line Republicans and conservative commentators are mounting a whispering campaign against Jamal Khashoggi that is designed to protect President Trump from criticism of his handling of the dissident journalist’s alleged murder by operatives of Saudi Arabia — and support Trump’s continued aversion to a forceful response to the oil-rich desert kingdom.

In recent days, a cadre of conservative House Republicans allied with Trump has been privately exchanging articles from right-wing outlets that fuel suspicion of Khashoggi, highlighting his association with the Muslim Brotherhood in his youth and raising conspiratorial questions about his work decades ago as an embedded reporter covering Osama bin Laden, according to four GOP officials involved in the discussions who were not authorized to speak publicly.

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

This is entirely accurate, sadly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

KXG

Post by KXG »

So, previously all the RWNJ’s were anti Saudi and anti Muslim because, 9/11, but now they’re are our best friend because, Saudi $$$ ?

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

Suranis wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:03 pm
Flatpointhigh wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:36 pm
I believe Saudi Arabia also pays the families of Philistines who carry out terror attacks and are killed by Judeans and Europeans.
SA and Iran both do. Hell they probably pay them for killing Jordanians.

Edit: Heh, just caught the biblical language there. Nice one :mrgreen:
"Palestine" is Latin for "Philistine" and "Jew" was a Roman pejorative for "Judean" The violence from both sides is as old as the region, and that's why Rome did what they did.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powerpos ... 77a2fd020e
Conservatives mount a whisper campaign smearing Khashoggi in defense of Trump
Karoun Demirjian
October 18 at 11:32 PM
Hard-line Republicans and conservative commentators are mounting a whispering campaign against Jamal Khashoggi that is designed to protect President Trump from criticism of his handling of the dissident journalist’s alleged murder by operatives of Saudi Arabia — and support Trump’s continued aversion to a forceful response to the oil-rich desert kingdom.

In recent days, a cadre of conservative House Republicans allied with Trump has been privately exchanging articles from right-wing outlets that fuel suspicion of Khashoggi, highlighting his association with the Muslim Brotherhood in his youth and raising conspiratorial questions about his work decades ago as an embedded reporter covering Osama bin Laden, according to four GOP officials involved in the discussions who were not authorized to speak publicly.

Those aspersions — which many lawmakers have been wary of stating publicly because of the political risks of doing so — have begun to flare into public view as conservative media outlets have amplified the claims, which are aimed in part at protecting Trump as he works to preserve the U.S.-Saudi relationship and avoid confronting the Saudis on human rights.

My Name is...
Daffy Duck.. woo hoo!
Cancer broke me

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras »

This is shameful. The Republicans are now concocting arguments in favor of the Saudi murderers: Khashoggi deserved to die; why get upset over one wanton murder inside a diplomatic station; Saudi money is more important than justice over a brutal murder; etc.

Most shameful was our own president's flip-flops on the moral issues. It would have been better if Trump had pretended this was one of the endless number of things he didn't know about, instead he adopted the Saudi money excuse, making himself (and our country) complicit in this crime.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Kendra wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:34 pm

The look on the face of the guy on the left!! But help me out since I'm too lazy to Google, who is the guy who just said Trump should get off his fat ass?
Phil Mudd

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thank you turtle. Then I had to Google him to see who he was :bag:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:15 pm
Thank you turtle. Then I had to Google him to see who he was :bag:
I always forget his name, even though I see him all the time. He seems to have gotten to the point where he is just absolutely blunt about his disgust of the Trump administration's bad behavior. He actually told another guest to STHU - and I'm almost certain he actually said all four words...shut the hell up. It was one of the guests that is constantly just making the most absurd excuses for Trump, a guest we don't even see any more. I find myself in the same place as he seems to be - I just can't take those people any more.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

#Saudi actors who ordered #Khashoggi's death were aware he wanted his divorce paper, but hadn't anticipated his fiancee's call to Aktay which had some swift consequences. Turkish authorities searched one of the planes leaving with part of the murder team, but found nothing. /1
Thread.

Return to “Current Events”