Toronto: Driver of van slams into pedestrians over 1/2+ mile rampage

Lani

Toronto: Driver of van slams into pedestrians over 1/2+ mile rampage

Post by Lani »

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/tor ... n-incident
What happened: A white van struck numerous pedestrians in Toronto, Canada.

How many were hit: Police say it's “too early” to confirm the number of pedestrians struck or their injuries.

Arrest made: The driver of the van has been arrested, police told CNN.
Videos and updates at the link.
Lani

Re: Toronto: Driver of van slams into pedestrians over 1/2+ mile rampage

Post by Lani »

Updates at the link....

Another rental van. "Jonathan Mayor, a spokesperson for Ryder, told CNN the rental car company was aware that their van was involved in today's crash in Toronto."

The long path of destruction with map.
The first reports of a collision involving pedestrians came at Finch Ave and Yonge St., and the driver was later arrested about 1.4 miles away (2.2 km).

The driver was apprehended.
Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

We're waiting to hear now if one of our friends was involved. He was definitely in the area and isn't answering his phone.
listeme

Post by listeme »

We are waiting for friends to check in as well -- we don't know if they were in that area, though.

Edited to immediately add: just heard, they are fine.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.
TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett
Lani

Post by Lani »

So glad for you and your friends, Listeme.

From the continuously updated link:
At least nine people were killed and 16 were injured today after a van plowed into pedestrians on a sidewalk in Toronto, Acting Chief Peter Yuen told reporters at a news conference. The driver of the van was taken into custody, he said.

"I ask the city of Toronto, pray for our victims and also to assist the Toronto police service in bringing this matter to a successful conclusion," Yuen said.
:(
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Ten dead. :(
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Many of the commenters on Twitter just assume the driver is Muslim.

However "Minassian" is an Armenia name and Armenians are Christians. Armenia was one of the first Christian civilizations.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Jane Lytvynenko

@JaneLytv

A Facebook employee confirmed to me on background that the Alek Minassian Facebook post referencing 4chan and "The Incel Rebellion" is real:
9:43 AM - Apr 24, 2018
"Incel" is short for "involuntary celebate".
Sheepmilker

Post by Sheepmilker »

People up here are impressed with the cop who dealt with the suspect:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/o ... -1.4632661
Officer praised after taking down Toronto van attack suspect without gunfire
Handling of Monday's attack reflects officer's 'level of maturity and calm,' says ex-RCMP superintendent
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

OMG he's a MGTOW. :shock:

(Men Going Their Own Way - they are so mad at you ladies who won't date them, they are refusing to ask you for a date, which will teach you ... something, I reckon. On Wonkette.com, never miss Robyn Pennachia and her weekly column, "This Week In Garbage Men". MGTOWs and Incels are a real thing, god help us all, and they are angry and irrational young men.)
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm OMG he's a MGTOW. :shock:
I heard incel, but not MGTOW. Not surprising, though MGTOW usually seem more like indoor villains while incels seem more likely to take their fight offline.

So Lately I have been binging Van Balion II and Virgo Triad (as well as an anti-flat-earth channel) on Youtube, and for a day or two their algorithm started suggesting MGTOW videos to me. Not sure what to make of that.
Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

We're Tracking All The Rumors About Toronto Van Attack Suspect Alek Minassian

https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman ... .feyyxvOZg
Remember: Minassian's ethnicity and religion remain unknown. Some people are making these claims to further their own agendas. Also note that eyewitness accounts are often unreliable in chaotic situations like Monday’s van attack, and people can easily misremember what they saw. Wait and see how this develops.
A statement from the Canadian Armed Forces issued Tuesday confirmed that Minassian "was a member of the Canadian Armed Forces for 2 months in late 2017 — from 23 August until 25 October. He did not complete his recruit training and requested to be voluntarily released from the CAF after 16 days of recruit training."
Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said Monday night that Minassian was not known to police. "There’s nothing on our files. We’ve looked right across and there’s nothing that we have on him right now," he said.
The post also included a reference to “The Incel Rebellion.” The word “Incel” stands for “involuntary celibate,” which is an online community of men who are sexually frustrated and often channel that frustration into anti-woman hate. The post made a reference to Elliot Rodger, a man who killed six people and injured 14 others in a 2014 shooting near the University of California, Santa Barbara. Rodger cited his rejection by women at the school as one motive for his actions.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

As someone who has actually read Elliot Rodger's "manifesto" (I don't recommend it), I'm surprised it's taken this long for another sad, disturbed individual with the same depraved ideas to snap with lethal consequences. I don't know where the notion came from that men literally have the right to expect women to have sex with them or, failing that, go on murderous rampages, but it terrifies me.

Much appreciation to that police officer for not carrying out the attempted suicide-by-cop.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:13 pm As someone who has actually read Elliot Rodger's "manifesto" (I don't recommend it), I'm surprised it's taken this long for another sad, disturbed individual with the same depraved ideas to snap with lethal consequences. I don't know where the notion came from that men literally have the right to expect women to have sex with them or, failing that, go on murderous rampages, but it terrifies me.
Nikolas Cruz also referenced Elliot Rodgers, so this seems to be something starting to ramp up, though on the scale of 'mass killing' there are still a pretty small number of data points. I worry that as these people gain notoriety others from that community will follow suit. Apparently Cruz has been getting quite a bit of fan mail, from women, which I could see people wanting to get a piece of.
fierceredpanda
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

neeneko wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:19 pm Nikolas Cruz also referenced Elliot Rodgers, so this seems to be something starting to ramp up, though on the scale of 'mass killing' there are still a pretty small number of data points. I worry that as these people gain notoriety others from that community will follow suit. Apparently Cruz has been getting quite a bit of fan mail, from women, which I could see people wanting to get a piece of.
Since I went on about men who think they are entitled to sex on pain of murder, I should also add that I absolutely cannot comprehend women who flock to serial killers like Cruz and Charles Manson.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:24 pm Since I went on about men who think they are entitled to sex on pain of murder, I should also add that I absolutely cannot comprehend women who flock to serial killers like Cruz and Charles Manson.
One of the recurring bits of mythology in the PUA/MRA/MGOTW/Incel/NiceGuy communities is that women only really like 'bad boys' and such. There seem to be just enough actual cases to feed into the perception that it is more universal. I've seen a bunch of proposed explanations, but yeah, not something I can grok either.
SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies. Retired but still available for ass kicking.

Post by SuzieC »

David Futrelle has at least two posts about this guy in We Hunted the Mammoth. Seems that Eliot Rogers is referred to a Saint Eliot in the incel subculture and many of the incels crave more violent attacks.
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 pm David Futrelle has at least two posts about this guy in We Hunted the Mammoth. Seems that Eliot Rogers is referred to a Saint Eliot in the incel subculture and many of the incels crave more violent attacks.
They should join ISIS. Violent? Check. Hatred of women? Check. Don't worry, guys. The Tomahawk with your name on it will be along shortly, and good riddance.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:03 pm
SuzieC wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 pm David Futrelle has at least two posts about this guy in We Hunted the Mammoth. Seems that Eliot Rogers is referred to a Saint Eliot in the incel subculture and many of the incels crave more violent attacks.
They should join ISIS. Violent? Check. Hatred of women? Check. Don't worry, guys. The Tomahawk with your name on it will be along shortly, and good riddance.
Seems like most of their issues would be solved if they just learned to rub one out and then take a nap.
Foggy
Avatar: Silly engineers have been using 3D printers to make Godzilla arms for chickens.

Post by Foggy »

Is there really a definable difference between MGTOW and Incel? They both hate women because they can't get laid.

Of course, the idea that they should, y'know, wear attractive clothing, engage in a bit of personal hygiene, have a bit of money, and be able to converse intelligently about anything other than the violent video game they play all the time is not a concept these gentlemen are familiar with. They consider the effort to become attractive to women as slavery or something.

But I think the MGTOW/Incel terms are the same thing, basically. They're men who go their own way because they're involuntarily celibate, and as long as they don't become violent, the female race is better off from them dropping out of the game.
I hope y'all are still wearing your seat belts!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
neeneko wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 pm
Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm OMG he's a MGTOW. :shock:
I heard incel, but not MGTOW. Not surprising, though MGTOW usually seem more like indoor villains while incels seem more likely to take their fight offline.

So Lately I have been binging Van Balion II and Virgo Triad (as well as an anti-flat-earth channel) on Youtube, and for a day or two their algorithm started suggesting MGTOW videos to me. Not sure what to make of that.
I noticed that when viewing something different than my standard stuff the algorithm jumps on the keywords of a new video and starts to swamp the suggestions with similar stuff. Best choice for me is in such a case to click on the mini-menu on each suggestion and click "not interested" to kill the bugs.
Mr Pfister

Post by Mr Pfister »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:24 pm

Since I went on about men who think they are entitled to sex on pain of murder, I should also add that I absolutely cannot comprehend women who flock to serial killers like Cruz and Charles Manson.
Sat next to Carol Boone's son in class one year, right before they married.
fierceredpanda

Post by fierceredpanda »

Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:27 pm Is there really a definable difference between MGTOW and Incel? They both hate women because they can't get laid.

Of course, the idea that they should, y'know, wear attractive clothing, engage in a bit of personal hygiene, have a bit of money, and be able to converse intelligently about anything other than the violent video game they play all the time is not a concept these gentlemen are familiar with. They consider the effort to become attractive to women as slavery or something.

But I think the MGTOW/Incel terms are the same thing, basically. They're men who go their own way because they're involuntarily celibate, and as long as they don't become violent, the female race is better off from them dropping out of the game.
To be fair, Elliot Rodger went on at great length about his Armani clothes, hygene, and BMW. What he apparently never tried was not being an asshole.

SuzieC
Occupation: Attorney since 1977. Litigator for 33 years. For 10 years Admin Law Judge for 4 state agencies. Retired but still available for ass kicking.

Post by SuzieC »

Yeah, these are guys who refer to women as "femoids" and hope for the arrival of robot sex dolls in the near future as their perfect partners.

Return to “Current Events”