Parkland

Chilidog

Parkland

Post by Chilidog » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:51 am

OK. I give the students huge props for speaking up about this issue.

However, their complaints about the clear backpacks and added security measures at the school fall flat in a big way.

They are they complaints of the over privileged and under experienced.

They need to come spend a week in a Chicago Public High School. Hell those schools moved past clear backpacks to metal detectors and full searches of backpacks by police officers. - every single day.

If you ever worked in a major retail chain, clear purses are required for all sales associates.

It sucks, I get it, but there are better issues to focus on than clear backpacks.

Sam the Centipede

Re: Parkland

Post by Sam the Centipede » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 am

Chilidog wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:51 am
:snippity:
It sucks, I get it, but there are better issues to focus on than clear backpacks.
I think I understand your point, and I haven't heard what the students are specifically complaining about with the clear backpacks.

But my guess is that their complaint is that the danger is not caused by what they put their schoolbooks in but rather by the easy availability of lethal guns and some people's wish to use them to shoot schoolkids. So the correct solution involves removing the guns and/or people's wish to shoot schoolkids. Messing around with clear backpacks addresses the symptoms, not the causes.

If fact, their approach is, I think, compatible with what you say about "better issues to focus on than clear backpacks": they are saying that clear backpacks are a distraction from resolving the underlying problem.

They want a proper solution, not gestures and sticking plasters. Good for them, I say.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:48 am

I'm with the kids on this one.

They asked the adults for a modest set of common-sense gun reforms that would, if passed, have a substantial effect on shootings like the one that happened at their school. What they got were clear backpacks, which compromise their privacy and treat them like criminals. That's bad enough, but the kicker is that the clear packs would have done nothing to stop Cruz, and they know it.

I'd be pissed as all fuck if I were them. They know damn well where the problem is, but the adults are treating them like they're the problem.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 am

[heresy] [sarc] Home school every kid. Public education is subsidized day care so parents combined incomes better ensures their participation in a consumer debt market. End the masquerade. Keep your kid safe at home. Downsize. Use less stuff. If everyone did this, there would be no school shootings. [/sarc][/heresy]

(certainly heresy, but was it really sarcasm? hmmmm)

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am

One of the complaints is that girls carry tampons in their backpacks, and boys will know that they are menstruating. At least one boy is carrying tampons in his clear backpack in solidarity. :blink:
Any time my questions are all fully answered, I know I'm asking the wrong questions. - Bernard Samson

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Foggy wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am
One of the complaints is that girls carry tampons in their backpacks, and boys will know that they are menstruating. At least one boy is carrying tampons in his clear backpack in solidarity. :blink:
He tweeted he didn't know whether to use light or super tampons. Good kid!
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

HilltownGrrl
Occupation: Researcher (for a non-fiction author); local child-wrangler; thread killer; piler of things on other things

Post by HilltownGrrl » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:40 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:08 pm
Foggy wrote:
He tweeted he didn't know whether to use light or super tampons. Good kid!
I think I'm in love :lovestruck:

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:38 pm

Foggy wrote:
Cameron Kasky

Image Image Image Image Image

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Clear backpacks are a bandaid. They need a lot more than that, and they understand that.

Whip

Post by Whip » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:59 pm

seems he's mocking what women have to go through.

listeme

Post by listeme » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Whip wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:59 pm
I don't think so. I certainly didn't take it that way at all.
We're used to being told it's our fault that men don't listen to us.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:06 pm

listeme wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:01 pm
Whip wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:59 pm
I don't think so. I certainly didn't take it that way at all.
I didn't either. I think it's very sweet.
"Hey! You know, we left this England place because it was bogus. So if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too." - Thomas Jefferson

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:30 pm

I had wondered what happened to Cameron Kasky. According to the New Yorker article on the formation of the Parkland movement, he was one of the first organizers. He is still thinking good thoughts.
“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

SLQ

Post by SLQ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Case in point: The Washignton teen that was caught when his grandmother went through his things and found his "I'm going to be a school shooter" journal and his military-style rifle in his guitar case. Are they going to require clear instrument cases? What about althetic duffel bags?
"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try."
-- Yoda

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:02 am

Carmen Lo // #NEVERAGAIN
@xo_karmin_ox
This backpack is probably worth more than my life #trends #NeverAgain

5:41 AM - Apr 2, 2018 · Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:03 am

Sam the Centipede wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 am
Messing around with clear backpacks addresses the symptoms, not the causes.
It also illustrates the absurd degree to which the adults in this country will do everything except deal with the problem.

These traumatized kids came forth demanding a solution. They have been told they should have learned CPR; should have been nicer to Nikolas Cruz; and now, that all their personal effects have to be on public display. Not to mention all the ugly personal attacks they've endured. All of which they have responded to strongly and creatively.
This bramble need not be traversed.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:13 am

Transparent back packs are the tangential path to open carry on campus.

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:48 am

Side note: I know it's only April 5, but i think these Parkland kids are a lock for "Time Magazine Person Of The Year."
This bramble need not be traversed.

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:40 am

:thumbs:
Require Congress and White House to only carry clear plastic bags to stop gun violence

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students in Parkland, Florida are now required to only use clear backpacks in an attempt to prevent additional acts of gun violence which tragically took 17 lives in February. That's right, clear backpacks instead of passing laws to protect these kids.

Well if it's so logical, let's see Congress and the White House put a clear briefcase and bag policy in place, too. It's only fair.
https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/clear-briefcases-for

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:55 am

Lani wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:40 am
:thumbs:
Require Congress and White House to only carry clear plastic bags to stop gun violence

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students in Parkland, Florida are now required to only use clear backpacks in an attempt to prevent additional acts of gun violence which tragically took 17 lives in February. That's right, clear backpacks instead of passing laws to protect these kids.

Well if it's so logical, let's see Congress and the White House put a clear briefcase and bag policy in place, too. It's only fair.
https://petitions.moveon.org/sign/clear-briefcases-for
How many other FL schools have followed this policy to date? Not that it would have prevented the Parkland shooter from bring in his long weapon, there was nobody around to check on him, clear or covered backback no matter.

Lani

Post by Lani » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:57 pm

This was only done at MSD - so far at least. I did read about another school in another state that also passed out clear backpacks.

As for the shooter, security was watching for him as he was known to be dangerous. He was spotted on a security camera, and security people were notified. Why no one intervened immediately is the subject of a lot of discussion and the suspension or firing of at least one guard so far.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:39 am

Lani wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:57 pm
This was only done at MSD - so far at least. I did read about another school in another state that also passed out clear backpacks.

As for the shooter, security was watching for him as he was known to be dangerous. He was spotted on a security camera, and security people were notified. Why no one intervened immediately is the subject of a lot of discussion and the suspension or firing of at least one guard so far.
Nearly a half-hour after Nikolas Cruz dropped his rifle and fled Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, police thought they were seeing him live on security cameras, still in the building. They were actually seeing images tape-delayed.

The Broward School District’s security cameras did not show real-time video for police, complicating their efforts to track and pin down the shooter, the South Florida Sun Sentinel has learned.

“They are monitoring the subject right now. He went from the third floor to the second floor, the third to the second floor … They’re monitoring him on camera,” an officer said on radio transmissions recorded by Broadcastify, an audio streaming website, at 2:54 p.m. In fact, Cruz was already long gone — he had escaped the school’s freshman building 26 minutes earlier and was sitting at a McDonald’s a mile away, a timeline released by the Broward Sheriff’s Office shows.

The video images were “delayed 20 minutes and nobody told us that,” said Coral Springs Police Chief Tony Pustizzi.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:39 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anthony-bo ... intendent/
Florida school shooting hero blames sheriff, superintendent

-- A student gravely wounded while saving his classmates' lives by blocking a door during the Florida school massacre... was shot five times, suffering wounds to the lungs, abdomen and legs. He was released from a Fort Lauderdale hospital Wednesday morning, the last of the 17 wounded to go home.

Borges, too weak to talk, sat silently in a wheelchair with his right leg propped up. His statement specifically attacked the Promise program, a school district and sheriff office initiative that allows students who commit minor crimes on campus to avoid arrest if they complete rehabilitation. Runcie has said shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz, a former Stoneman Douglas student, was never in the program, but Borges and his attorney, Alex Arreaza, said school and sheriff's officials knew Cruz was dangerous.

Borges is a U.S. citizen born to Venezuelan immigrants.

Arreaza (Borges' lawyer) said that although Borges' father, a maintenance worker, appreciates that people consider his son a hero for protecting classmates, he believes such talk detracts from the serious message that action must be taken to stop school shootings.

"He doesn't want there to be anymore bubblegum hero stuff," Arreaza said.

More than $830,000 has been raised for him in online donations, https://www.gofundme.com/anthonyborges, but Arreaza said his medical bills will likely exceed $1.5 million. The family plans to file a lawsuit soon against Cruz, the estate of his late mother and a family that housed him before the shooting. Under state law, the family can't sue the school district and sheriff's office until a six-month waiting period expires in August.
A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: African-American Naomi Anderson was a leader in the suffrage movement in the west, a published poet, barber, community activist, and teacher.

Lani

Post by Lani » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 am

No surprise here.
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. - A pistol-packing Marjory Stoneman Douglas teacher who said he'd be willing to be trained to carry a gun to protect the high school faces a criminal charge after he left his Glock 9mm in a public restroom where it was later fired by an drunk homeless man, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.
https://www.local10.com/news/local-10-i ... ocialshare

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:39 am

Lani wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:19 am
No surprise here.
DEERFIELD BEACH, Fla. - A pistol-packing Marjory Stoneman Douglas teacher who said he'd be willing to be trained to carry a gun to protect the high school faces a criminal charge after he left his Glock 9mm in a public restroom where it was later fired by an drunk homeless man, according to the Broward Sheriff's Office.
https://www.local10.com/news/local-10-i ... ocialshare
Sure this does not belong into the Florida Men thread :?: ;)

Return to “Current Events”