The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Sterngard Friegen

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 09, 2018 4:29 pm

Yabbut I don't listen to Richard Strauss. Sometimes we must make sacrifices for human decency.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Well... yeah.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Till Eulenspiegel

Post by Till Eulenspiegel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:35 am

„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:32 am

At the time this was happening in the Pittsburgh area, the Bishop here was Anthony Wuerl, a local priest who had made good. He is now Archbishop of Washington DC. He was often in the news here and I had a lot of respect for him (I'm not Catholic). Over the last few months, I've seen him at least once standing behind twitler smiling broadly as he signed some abominable piece of legislation or executive order. I guess my respect was always misplaced.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ons-report
This month, the state attorney general in Pennsylvania is expected to release an 884-page report that will detail decades of clerical sexual abuse and cover-ups by the Roman Catholic church in six of Pennsylvania’s eight Catholic dioceses. The report has not yet been made public, but has been shared with the bishops in the six dioceses: Allentown, Erie, Greensburg, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh and Scranton.

The report, which followed a grand jury investigation, comes two years after a separate state inquiry into another Catholic diocese, Altoona-Johnstown, found that hundreds of children had been abused by more than 50 priests in the last few decades.

The results of the latest investigation could reignite a debate over the church’s poor handling of sexual abuse cases, even as Pope Francis has sought to come to grips with another clerical abuse scandal in Chile, where all of the country’s bishops recently offered their resignation.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Cosby is 'sexually violent predator': Pennsylvania board

A Pennsylvania state advisory board recommended that Bill Cosby be deemed a “sexually violent predator,” which would require the convicted comedian to undergo lifetime counseling and register as a sex offender, prosecutors said in a court filing on Tuesday.

The 81-year-old entertainer, known as “America’s Dad” for his role in the 1980s TV hit “The Cosby Show,” was found guilty in April of drugging and sexually assaulting a former friend at his Philadelphia-area home in 2004.

The victim in that case, Andrea Constand, was one of dozens of women who have accused the comedian of a string of sexual assaults dating back decades. Hers was the only accusation recent enough to be criminally prosecuted.

:snippity:

Under Pennsylvania state law, a sexually violent predator is someone convicted of a sexually violent offense “who has a mental abnormality or personality disorder the makes the person likely to engage in predatory sexually violent offenses.”

Sexually violent predators in the state must register for life with Pennsylvania police and attend sex offender counseling at least once a month for life.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peop ... SKBN1KE25L
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:13 am

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:30 am

Les Moonves and CBS Face Allegations of Sexual Misconduct
Six women accuse the C.E.O. of harassment and intimidation, and dozens more describe abuse at his company.
By Ronan Farrow

For more than twenty years, Leslie Moonves has been one of the most powerful media executives in America. As the chairman and C.E.O. of CBS Corporation, he oversees shows ranging from “60 Minutes” to “The Big Bang Theory.” His portfolio includes the premium cable channel Showtime, the publishing house Simon & Schuster, and a streaming service, CBS All Access. Moonves, who is sixty-eight, has a reputation for canny hiring and project selection. The Wall Street Journal recently called him a “TV programming wizard”; the Hollywood Reporter dubbed him a “Wall Street Hero.” In the tumultuous field of network television, he has enjoyed rare longevity as a leader. Last year, according to filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, he earned nearly seventy million dollars, making him one of the highest-paid corporate executives in the world.

In recent months, Moonves has become a prominent voice in Hollywood’s #MeToo movement. In December, he helped found the Commission on Eliminating Sexual Harassment and Advancing Equality in the Workplace, which is chaired by Anita Hill. “It’s a watershed moment,” Moonves said at a conference in November. “I think it’s important that a company’s culture will not allow for this. And that’s the thing that’s far-reaching. There’s a lot we’re learning. There’s a lot we didn’t know.”

But Moonves’s private actions belie his public statements. Six women who had professional dealings with him told me that, between the nineteen-eighties and the late aughts, Moonves sexually harassed them. Four described forcible touching or kissing during business meetings, in what they said appeared to be a practiced routine. Two told me that Moonves physically intimidated them or threatened to derail their careers. All said that he became cold or hostile after they rejected his advances, and that they believed their careers suffered as a result. “What happened to me was a sexual assault, and then I was fired for not participating,” the actress and writer Illeana Douglas told me. All the women said they still feared that speaking out would lead to retaliation from Moonves, who is known in the industry for his ability to make or break careers. “He has gotten away with it for decades,” the writer Janet Jones, who alleges that she had to shove Moonves off her after he forcibly kissed her at a work meeting, told me. “And it’s just not O.K.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... misconduct

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:31 am

CBS Board Takes No Immediate Action Against Les Moonves Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations
The board is in the process of selecting outside counsel to conduct an independent investigation.

By Rebecca Shapiro

During a regularly scheduled meeting on Monday, CBS’s board of directors did not take any immediate disciplinary action against Leslie Moonves following last week’s bombshell New Yorker article in which six women accused the network’s CEO and chairman of sexual harassment.

The board “is in the process of selecting outside counsel to conduct an independent investigation,” CBS said in a press release. “No other action was taken on this matter at today’s board meeting.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cb ... 86f499dff6

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:01 pm

CEO Leslie Moonves will leave CBS without severance package; separate deal will reshape CBS board, sources say
Bowing to pressure brought on by a sexual harassment scandal, CBS Corp. Chairman and Chief Executive Leslie Moonves is expected to resign late Sunday, according to two people familiar with the matter who were not authorized to comment publicly. His resignation would mark a stunning fall from grace for one of Hollywood’s most revered entertainment executives.

Negotiations over the terms of his departure accelerated following a new report Sunday in the New Yorker magazine, which detailed six women’s allegations of sexual misconduct involving Moonves in the 1980s and 1990s. Now a total of 12 women have alleged that Moonves made inappropriate advances toward them.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywo ... story.html
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

kate520

Post by kate520 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:16 pm

My younger sister’s friend interned at CBS 30 years ago, before Moonves. She was harassed by the first guy they assigned her to, she complained, so they assigned her to someone else. Before the month was out, this guy had, too. She asked around, found several other young women who had suffered the same fate and together they went to HR.

Together, they were all fired on the spot. They were told they had rocked the boat too hard. I’m sure the next crop of interns were told all about it.

I just hope the younger generation gets why #metoo is a big deal.
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:07 pm

TheNewYorker wrote:Update: Three hours after the publication of this story, CNN reported that Moonves would step down from his position at CBS. Later the same day, CBS announced that Moonves had left the company and would not receive any of his exit compensation, pending the results of the independent investigation into the allegations. The company named six new members of its board of directors and said it would donate $20 million to organizations that support the #MeToo movement and workplace equality for women. The donation will be deducted from any severance payments that may be due to Moonves.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... ent-claims

arock

Post by arock » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Jian Ghomeshi, John Hockenberry, and the Laws of Patriarchal Physics

by Jia Tolentino

The sexual-assault allegations against the movie producer Harvey Weinstein were first reported in October, 2017, which means that we have now spent eleven months listening to the victims of such violence, most of them women. This is a deeply unusual situation in the context of human history, and, lately, a set of compensatory forces has appeared to be working to bring the universe back into balance. Women have had their “moment,” their unprecedented time in the spotlight of cultural favor. The gravitational pull of male power is exerting itself, turning our attention back to the place where it has been trained to linger: the hero’s journey of men.

This phase of our arduous collective journey began, I would suggest, at the end of August, when Louis C.K. performed a surprise “comeback” set at the Comedy Cellar. (Flares went up much earlier—the Times reported in April, for instance, that Mario Batali had been holding meetings about his “second act,” after Eater reported instances of inappropriate touching by the restaurateur.) The comedian had been disgraced in November, 2017, when the Times revealed the details of what had long been an open secret in the comedy world: that C.K. liked to take his penis out and masturbate in front of women who had not requested that this occur. Though C.K. had previously denied the rumor—“That’s nothing to me. That’s not real,” he told New York, in 2016—he confirmed to the Times that the women were telling the truth. Pity for the comedian surfaced quickly. “I imagine that the price he’s paid at this point is so beyond anything,” Matt Damon said, one month after the Times published its story. When C.K. showed up at the Comedy Cellar a few weeks ago, he reportedly received a standing ovation before he began speaking. (He then made a joke about rape whistles.) Many who read about the performance were appalled; others suggested that C.K. had “served his time.” (In this metaphor, the phenomenon of people finding out and responding to the truth about your behavior is akin to carceral punishment.) The laws of patriarchal physics dictate that for every act of sexual assault or harassment a man deserves an equal and opposite second chance.

Then, last week, Harper’s published a first-person essay by the American former radio host John Hockenberry and the New York Review of Books published one by the Canadian former radio host Jian Ghomeshi. Hockenberry had taken an early and seemingly honorable retirement from WNYC, a year ago. But, in December, Suki Kim, who had been a guest on Hockenberry’s show, reported, for the Cut, accounts of Hockenberry’s apparent pattern of workplace sexual harassment: he had allegedly, among other things, kissed two colleagues against their will, touched another inappropriately, asked a staffer if she wanted to get a hotel room, and told an intern, “Let’s get you drunk.” Internal complaints led to Hockenberry’s early departure.

In his essay, Hockenberry spends nearly seven thousand words wandering incoherently through a landscape of molasses-thick pathos and defensive bewilderment about this fate. He calls himself a “misguided romantic.” He likens himself to “Lolita,” an old book that can no longer be celebrated in the contemporary era, and also to the titular character: “To my great surprise, in 2018 I find myself identifying with Lolita, her innocence lost along with any identity other than sexual.” This statement, he writes, revelling in his willingness to be a martyr for the cause of bold thinking, may “bring down a wrath from my critics and accusers much greater than what I have endured up to now.”

That Hockenberry could publish so many words about his plight in a prestigious magazine without seriously grappling with the experiences of the women whose lives were affected by his advances—that nearly a year of self-searching brought him to the conclusion that he and a fictional twelve-year-old rape victim were more alike than he’d thought—signals well enough that the power structures facilitating sexual assault and harassment remain very much intact.
:snippity:
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... al-physics

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:29 am

:shock:

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:53 pm

Foggy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:29 am
:shock:
Ya, I was kind of expecting stuff like this. Its the backlash to Meetoo. I remember the lecturer talking about the backlash to Feminism when I studied Feminist theory in collage. It does not mean that Metoo has lost, it just means there is a bounceback in attitudes as people get sick of hearing about it, to put it very simply, and people who have done a reasonable level of atonement will get back into the good graces of the public. It just means the Metoo movement has to keep the steady pressure up to shift attitudes.

It does not mean that people are ok with sexual harassment now.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Lani

Post by Lani » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:58 am

The sentencing portion of the Cosby trial began today, and the Court will reconvene Tuesday.
Cosby, Constand, the lawyers and O’Neill are expected back in court at 9 AM ET Tuesday for a the sexually violent predator ruling and eventually final sentencing.
https://deadline.com/2018/09/bill-cosby ... 70189/amp/
Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

neeneko

Post by neeneko » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:28 am

arock wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 pm
In his essay, Hockenberry spends nearly seven thousand words wandering incoherently through a landscape of molasses-thick pathos and defensive bewilderment about this fate. He calls himself a “misguided romantic.” He likens himself to “Lolita,” an old book that can no longer be celebrated in the contemporary era, and also to the titular character: “To my great surprise, in 2018 I find myself identifying with Lolita, her innocence lost along with any identity other than sexual.” This statement, he writes, revelling in his willingness to be a martyr for the cause of bold thinking, may “bring down a wrath from my critics and accusers much greater than what I have endured up to now.”
Ahm.. I admit it has been ages, but wasn't the whole point of 'lolita' was that her identity as nothing more than a sexual object was in the eyes of the narrator? A predator rationalizing his actions by warping their view of a child to make it their fault?

Maybe he just saw the movie?

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:26 pm

Bill Cosby got 3-10 years in prison for sexual assault.

https://pagesix.com/2018/09/25/bill-cos ... =P6Twitter

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm

And had his bail revoked and was taken to jail. I hope our Cartoon *President was watching.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:48 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:20 pm
And had his bail revoked and was taken to jail. I hope our Cartoon *President was watching.
For real? I've been working at work and hadn't had time to check.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:57 pm

Kendra wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:48 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Yep.
I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill! I believe Dr. Ford!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:59 pm

TexasFilly wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:57 pm
Kendra wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:48 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Yep.
:clap:

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:48 pm

So Cosby got 3 - 10 years. What happens at the end of 3 years? They flip a coin?

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:19 pm

That's not nearly enough prison time, IMHO. No point in "rehabilitation" for him. Lock him up until they carry him out in a box. :madguy:

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:59 pm

He's 81 and allegedly in poor health. Good chance he doesn't last out the 3 year minimum. I'm just fine with that.
Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Current Events”