The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 17040
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#526

Post by Suranis » Tue May 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Some humour regarding Alcohol...



Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9443
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#527

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 08, 2018 12:12 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 am
Reading the entire article is disturbing in a number of ways, not the least of which is the apparent desire of some women to stay too long in abusive relationships with powerful men who share their political values and are doing "good things."

I cannot fathom someone giving this kind of advice to one of his victims:
After the former girlfriend ended the relationship, she told several friends about the abuse. A number of them advised her to keep the story to herself, arguing that Schneiderman was too valuable a politician for the Democrats to lose.

:eek2:

I also find it hard to believe someone who drinks that much and abuses prescriptions hasn't been outed before now. This isn't something that suddenly occurs - these kinds of predators often have long histories. But then again, as he allegedly told one of the women, "I am the law."

Terribly, terribly sad for the women involved. If the allegations are true, I don't feel any sympathy for Scheiderman whatsoever.
You are not a woman.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
Judge Roy Bean
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:26 pm
Location: West of the Pecos
Occupation: Isn't it obvious?

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#528

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:12 pm
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 am
Reading the entire article is disturbing in a number of ways, not the least of which is the apparent desire of some women to stay too long in abusive relationships with powerful men who share their political values and are doing "good things."

I cannot fathom someone giving this kind of advice to one of his victims:
After the former girlfriend ended the relationship, she told several friends about the abuse. A number of them advised her to keep the story to herself, arguing that Schneiderman was too valuable a politician for the Democrats to lose.

:eek2:

I also find it hard to believe someone who drinks that much and abuses prescriptions hasn't been outed before now. This isn't something that suddenly occurs - these kinds of predators often have long histories. But then again, as he allegedly told one of the women, "I am the law."

Terribly, terribly sad for the women involved. If the allegations are true, I don't feel any sympathy for Scheiderman whatsoever.
You are not a woman.
Are you implying that because they're women that kind of "advice" is appropriate?


“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9443
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#529

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:20 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:12 pm
Judge Roy Bean wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:38 am
Reading the entire article is disturbing in a number of ways, not the least of which is the apparent desire of some women to stay too long in abusive relationships with powerful men who share their political values and are doing "good things."

I cannot fathom someone giving this kind of advice to one of his victims:


:eek2:

I also find it hard to believe someone who drinks that much and abuses prescriptions hasn't been outed before now. This isn't something that suddenly occurs - these kinds of predators often have long histories. But then again, as he allegedly told one of the women, "I am the law."

Terribly, terribly sad for the women involved. If the allegations are true, I don't feel any sympathy for Scheiderman whatsoever.
You are not a woman.
Are you implying that because they're women that kind of "advice" is appropriate?
Not at all. I am saying it is not uncommon for a woman to get this kind of martyrdom advice.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
Judge Roy Bean
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:26 pm
Location: West of the Pecos
Occupation: Isn't it obvious?

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#530

Post by Judge Roy Bean » Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 pm
:snippity:

Not at all. I am saying it is not uncommon for a woman to get this kind of martyrdom advice.
Whew. I'm truly hoping the kind of advice being shared among women in these situations will no longer include political expediency.


“Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.”
Walter Lippmann

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 17040
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#531

Post by Suranis » Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Do be fair, its essentially the same Arguments that were within the Catholic Church as reasons to cover up the 80's wave of Pedophilia abuses, and you might not have heard this, but the CC isn't held up as a Woman organization, whether fair or not. I imagine the same argument was put up in Penn state to cover up their abuses. And I'm damn sure it was said in Hollywood.

Its not a particularly Woman argument, it's a logical argument when the organization as seen as more important than the victim.


Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

User avatar
kate520
Posts: 15706
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Occupation: servant of cats, chicken wrangler
Contact:

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#532

Post by kate520 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:40 pm

I like the way Charlie's mind works.
These instincts, alas, kicked in almost immediately after Schneiderman’s swift exit from the scene. There were instant calls for Preet Bhahara to replace Schneiderman. (Dayen’s not high on this idea, either.) These were based largely on the fact that Bhahara was 86’d by the president* after having been a thorn in his side as a U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York. And, just for fun, and for the possibility that the mere rumor would cause the president* to paint his body blue and dance a naked tarantella on the Truman Balcony, I suggested that we get the hashtag, #HRCforNYAG trending.


https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/p ... y-general/

Do read the whole piece.


DEFEND DEMOCRACY

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 17040
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#533

Post by Suranis » Tue May 08, 2018 12:53 pm

And while we’re not a fan of distributing jobs based on gender, we are very pleased to hear that Solicitor General Barbara Underwood will be taking over for Schneiderman today.

She’s been a federal prosecutor in New York, US Deputy Solicitor General under Bill Clinton, and a prosecutor in Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens. She taught law at Yale and NYU and chaired the New York City Bar’s Council on Criminal Justice. She clerked for Justice Thurgood Marshall and argued 20 cases before the Supreme Court. Believe me, this lady is the boss of you! She will do an amazing job, and would be a terrific candidate in November if she wants to run for the seat.

It’s not clear if New York legislators will decide to appoint someone to the rest of Schneiderman’s term to give one candidate the advantage of incumbency in November’s election, or allow Underwood to stay on through January.

Yes, we know that Twitter has nominated Preet Bharara and Hillary Clinton for the position. We get it — shipping is fun. But Hillary Clinton hasn’t practiced law in 30 years. And Bharara isn’t going to get appointed by Albany legislators, whom he’s likely to investigate for corruption. Will Bharara throw his hat in the ring for the November race? MAAAAYBE!

Read more at https://wonkette.com/633628/633628#wYh15P3SXdk85dkD.99


Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9443
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#534

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Suranis wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 pm
Do be fair, its essentially the same Arguments that were within the Catholic Church as reasons to cover up the 80's wave of Pedophilia abuses, and you might not have heard this, but the CC isn't held up as a Woman organization, whether fair or not. I imagine the same argument was put up in Penn state to cover up their abuses. And I'm damn sure it was said in Hollywood.

Its not a particularly Woman argument, it's a logical argument when the organization as seen as more important than the victim.
You are correct, Suranis. I was speaking from my practice as a domestic abuse victim lawyer and heard this "advice" too frequently. It is a "don't rock the boat" argument, whatever "the boat" is perceived to be.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
Danraft
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#535

Post by Danraft » Tue May 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Just read the New Yorker Article.... he's an abuser who is of a known type.
Almost 20 years ago I did photography as a hobby and ended up doing some work for BDSM group's annual event which I was unprepared for. The group was The Purple Rose Society wherein the "rose" was a bruise that bloomed and changed colors.
I'd considered myself adventurous along the lines of 9 1/2 Weeks (the movie) and had seen the movie "The Secretary" which I guess is along the lines of 50 Shades of Gray.

Anyway, I ended up being friends and eating sushi regularly with a couple of members after the event (crazy stuff... as innocuous as Japanese Rope Bondage demos, to peeps on St John Crosses, to more extreme) and found everyone to be remarkably well adjusted and non-judgemental interesting people.
The Lifestyle has some hard rules tho, and has little patience for what was described.
Some Doms are just bad news -- there should be discussion about what sort of activities are on the table, what are not, safe words, whether asphyxiation or breath play, choking, verbal humiliation, spitting, blood play, sensory deprivation, pain, tickling etc are on the menu.
Many just were reckless and hurt people or didn't do what a Dom is supposed to do, put the Sub in "Sub Space" and respect boundaries.

A new Dom coming in was watched carefully, male or female, and straightened out quickly.
Power Play is common, but, 24/7 role play or arrangements are not the norm.
And, alcohol to excess considered potentially dangerous and drugs the same.

Some Subs are as confused, but not likely to harm physically or emotionally in what should be a "play" environment that is often therapeutic.
It sounds like he is one of those Dangerous Dom Amateur idiots, and had an experience with a Sub that did want some of those activities which allowed him to get more unbalanced and dangerous.
His forcing the women to drink heavily and himself doing so would almost indicate he was a Switch or potential Sub himself unable to reconcile that in his self image and taking him into anger and hate.
In any case, it is generally suggested that these types, if they want to explore the Lifestyle, do some sessions as a Sub to learn was emotional states are generated and understand potential risks.
A surprising number of these unhinged dangerous types, when they do that, discover they are not 100 Dominant in play time and come out to be very good Doms, or a Dom from Bottom type.
I'm sure there are many BDSM group's disgusted as much by the article and his actions as the Vanilla's are.
Dan


The Mercury Project

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9443
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#536

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Tue May 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Very interesting, Dan. Another perspective from which to view Mr. Schneiderman.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
Danraft
Posts: 783
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#537

Post by Danraft » Wed May 09, 2018 3:04 am

From Drudge..
Kink Community upset... .
https://apnews.com/dad2eb1ffee74190ae6f ... l-comments


The Mercury Project

Lupin
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:39 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#538

Post by Lupin » Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 am

I'm commenting on an earlier post (May 5) about Roman Polanski.

My purpose here is purely to discuss some legal aspects of the case that I rarely see mentioned, but which could all be summed up as, IMHO, the Los Angeles DA really screwed up.

One. They should have gone to trial. The statute under which Polanski pleaded guilty is "Unlawful Sexual Intercourse" Section 261.5 California Penal code. My understanding is that, if convicted of violating 261.5 Unlawful Sexual Intercourse, it is a misdemeanor or felony, and you will not even be required to register as a sexual offender in the state of California. So notwithstanding all the talks about rape, etc., this is =what the State of California agreed to, and that Polanski pleaded guilty to.

Two, Polanski pleaded guilty, yes, but has not been convicted, because sentence wasn't imposed. My understanding was that there had been an agreement regarding the sentence, in line with the plea, but the judge was preparing to ignore it, which I know he has the right to do, but under the circumstances, Polanski was right to leave the jurisdiction.

Three, neither the US nor France extradite their own citizens; however, there was nothing to prevent the DA from filing criminal charges in France. Since Polanski had not been convicted, the DA would have had to supply an affidavit establishing the commission of the offense. That means not just probable cause, but a prima facie case. As a rule, grand jury transcripts would not be favored as a mean for establishing the crime. Affidavits by witnesses would have been requested.

Under French Law, sex with a minor under 15, even if consenting, would have carried a mandatory sentence of 5 years, possibly up to 10 years if the court found there were aggravating circumstances. The facts in this case would have been simple enough to introduce in evidence and establish, and Polanski would have gone straight to jail. His French lawyers might have argued that he could only be prosecuted or punished for the lesser crime for which he was prosecuted and to which he had pleaded guilty to in the US, notwithstanding the facts, but personally I don't think that would have carried the day.

Now this is moot because of statute of limitations. (20 years from age 18 of the victim.)

The Polanski case in is my opinion an example of multiple failures by the California justice system, as well as (most of) the media which have been reporting it in the more lurid aspects, but overall rather inaccurately.



That Eurojerk
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 am
Location: France
Occupation: Lawyer (retired )

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#539

Post by That Eurojerk » Wed May 09, 2018 7:14 am

Suranis wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:26 pm
Do be fair, its essentially the same Arguments that were within the Catholic Church as reasons to cover up the 80's wave of Pedophilia abuses, and you might not have heard this, but the CC isn't held up as a Woman organization, whether fair or not. I imagine the same argument was put up in Penn state to cover up their abuses. And I'm damn sure it was said in Hollywood.

Its not a particularly Woman argument, it's a logical argument when the organization as seen as more important than the victim.
I agree.


„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

That Eurojerk
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:55 am
Location: France
Occupation: Lawyer (retired )

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#540

Post by That Eurojerk » Wed May 09, 2018 7:27 am

Lupin wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 am
I'm commenting on an earlier post (May 5) about Roman Polanski.

My purpose here is purely to discuss some legal aspects of the case that I rarely see mentioned, but which could all be summed up as, IMHO, the Los Angeles DA really screwed up.

One. They should have gone to trial. The statute under which Polanski pleaded guilty is "Unlawful Sexual Intercourse" Section 261.5 California Penal code. My understanding is that, if convicted of violating 261.5 Unlawful Sexual Intercourse, it is a misdemeanor or felony, and you will not even be required to register as a sexual offender in the state of California. So notwithstanding all the talks about rape, etc., this is =what the State of California agreed to, and that Polanski pleaded guilty to.

Two, Polanski pleaded guilty, yes, but has not been convicted, because sentence wasn't imposed. My understanding was that there had been an agreement regarding the sentence, in line with the plea, but the judge was preparing to ignore it, which I know he has the right to do, but under the circumstances, Polanski was right to leave the jurisdiction.

Three, neither the US nor France extradite their own citizens; however, there was nothing to prevent the DA from filing criminal charges in France. Since Polanski had not been convicted, the DA would have had to supply an affidavit establishing the commission of the offense. That means not just probable cause, but a prima facie case. As a rule, grand jury transcripts would not be favored as a mean for establishing the crime. Affidavits by witnesses would have been requested.

Under French Law, sex with a minor under 15, even if consenting, would have carried a mandatory sentence of 5 years, possibly up to 10 years if the court found there were aggravating circumstances. The facts in this case would have been simple enough to introduce in evidence and establish, and Polanski would have gone straight to jail. His French lawyers might have argued that he could only be prosecuted or punished for the lesser crime for which he was prosecuted and to which he had pleaded guilty to in the US, notwithstanding the facts, but personally I don't think that would have carried the day.

Now this is moot because of statute of limitations. (20 years from age 18 of the victim.)

The Polanski case in is my opinion an example of multiple failures by the California justice system, as well as (most of) the media which have been reporting it in the more lurid aspects, but overall rather inaccurately.
Thank you.


„Er aber, sag’s ihm, er kann mich im Arsche lecken!“ - J.W. Goethe - Götz von Berlichingen

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9443
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#541

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am

Filmmaker Roman Polanski calls #MeToo "collective hysteria"
https://www.sfgate.com/news/world/artic ... 899813.php

:sick: :sick: :sick: Can't read the article.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
neeneko
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#542

Post by neeneko » Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 am

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am
Filmmaker Roman Polanski calls #MeToo "collective hysteria"
I am someone who is really twitchy and sensitive about things like collective hysteria and moral panics. I find framing #MeToo in those terms to be pretty inaccurate and does a disservice to groups impacted by actual collective hysteria.



User avatar
JohnPCapitalist
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: Wall Street
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#543

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Wed May 09, 2018 10:45 am

neeneko wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 am
I am someone who is really twitchy and sensitive about things like collective hysteria and moral panics. I find framing #MeToo in those terms to be pretty inaccurate and does a disservice to groups impacted by actual collective hysteria.
Agree. Collective hysteria and moral panics are something like the ritual satanic abuse panics that have swept the US, the UK and probably elsewhere on several occasions. Most of the prominent people (Weinstein, Spacey, etc.) accused of sexual abuse have not credibly contested the accusations against them. The incidence of sexual abuse in our society is high enough that it might seem like an exercise in collective hysteria, but when you consider that something like 1/3 to 40% of women will experience sexual abuse in their lives, and something like 15% of men (mostly in childhood) will also, even if you say that each perpetrator claims 5 victims, you have a staggering number of perpetrators of sexual abuse out there.

And given what abuse does to victims, it should be a moral panic. About 35% of people in the US will have a cancer diagnosis at some point in their lives, and that's often a life-changing trauma on the level of being a victim of rape or molestation. That's about the same as the incidence of sexual abuse among women. We spend billions on treating and preventing cancer. One would think we should be doing the same for sexual abuse.



User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 45301
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#544

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 am

neeneko wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am
Filmmaker Roman Polanski calls #MeToo "collective hysteria"
I am someone who is really twitchy and sensitive about things like collective hysteria and moral panics. I find framing #MeToo in those terms to be pretty inaccurate and does a disservice to groups impacted by actual collective hysteria.
What do you expect from a child rapist?



User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9443
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#545

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 am

Polanski 's use of the word "hysteria" reveals his sick attitude towards women.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
Tiredretiredlawyer
Posts: 9443
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm
Location: Animal Planet
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#546

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 am
neeneko wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:35 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:58 am
I am someone who is really twitchy and sensitive about things like collective hysteria and moral panics. I find framing #MeToo in those terms to be pretty inaccurate and does a disservice to groups impacted by actual collective hysteria.
What do you expect from a child rapist?
Exactly.


A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

User avatar
neeneko
Posts: 1718
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:08 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#547

Post by neeneko » Wed May 09, 2018 11:16 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 am
What do you expect from a child rapist?
:yeah:



User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 8209
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#548

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 09, 2018 1:40 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 am
Polanski 's use of the word "hysteria" reveals his sick attitude towards women.
It does, doesn't it... in more ways than one. :talktothehand:


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

User avatar
RVInit
Posts: 8331
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#549

Post by RVInit » Wed May 09, 2018 2:41 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:40 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 10:49 am
Polanski 's use of the word "hysteria" reveals his sick attitude towards women.
It does, doesn't it... in more ways than one. :talktothehand:
:yeah: I am happy that Hollywood has finally decided to quit making excuses for Polanski. The worm has turned. And that is a good thing and long overdue.


"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

User avatar
RoadScholar
Posts: 8209
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 am
Location: Baltimore
Occupation: Historic Restoration Woodworker
Contact:

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

#550

Post by RoadScholar » Wed May 09, 2018 2:55 pm

I think it's possible, and appropriate, to separate the artist from the art, and that goes both ways.

Polanski made some great movies. His Macbeth was one of the best Shakespeare movies ever. AND he's a disgusting child-raping pig.

What I mean by separation (and this goes for Bill Cosby, Jean Genet... and anyone else):

The horridness of the man shouldn't detract from the assessment of the art, AND

The art should never be used to excuse the horridness of the man.


The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Post Reply

Return to “Current Events”