The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein -- and Other Sexual Predators

User avatar
Kendra
Posts: 14771
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:53 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#26

Post by Kendra » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... 5330377de3
Six days ago, the Hollywood Reporter reported that film producer Harvey Weinstein had lawyered up in anticipation of damaging reports by the New York Times and New Yorker magazine. The Times published first, last Thursday, and I could not have been alone in wondering what could possibly be left for the New Yorker, after Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey chronicled a disturbing pattern of alleged sexual harassment spanning three decades.

It turns out there was plenty more to uncover.

In addition to the harassment claims detailed by the Times, the New Yorker on Tuesday published three allegations of sexual assault by Weinstein, who was fired over the weekend by the board of his own studio. Two of the accusers put their names on the record.

The New Yorker also obtained and posted an audio recording of a chilling exchange between Weinstein and a young model, in which he can be heard aggressively pressuring her to come to his hotel room and admitting to groping her in a previous encounter.

It is hard to fully appreciate the way Weinstein allegedly operated until you hear his voice on tape.

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#27

Post by maydijo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:22 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:52 pm
People always ask why victims of sexual assault/harassment don't come forward sooner. They should actually be asking why witnesses to sexual assault/harassment don't speak out. Worse, why so many of them help cover it up:

Image
This. Earlier this year I was sexually assaulted by someone close to me. The person who did it has a history of sexually assaulting his nurses (all post-dementia onset) but I had naively felt I was safe because I'd been a friend of the family for most of my life. After it happened I was upset that his primary care giver seemed to blame/shun me and devastated that she still allowed him unsupervised visits with his teenage granddaughters. But then, I'd known what he was capable of for years, and I didn't warn anyone either; I was too worried about offending his care giver.

Lunaluz
Posts: 571
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:22 pm
Location: Seattle area
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#28

Post by Lunaluz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Gretchen Mol Breaks Silence on Harvey Weinstein and Misogynistic Rumors (Guest Column)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebri ... id=U142DHP

This is awful, when a woman has to say she wasn't sexually assaulted, after it had been gossiped about for years.

Women have had to look over their shoulders for years and years, and still do, for fear of assault, and endured sexual harassment and still do obviously, not a ringing endorsement for our society and culture. I am trying to be measured, but I have a lot to say and rant about, but I won't.

*Edited because of bad wording.

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2931
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#29

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm

I would like to point out that the fall of Harvey Weinstein comes a week after the death of Hugh Hefner. Hefner getting mostly eulogies even though his career consisted very much of the same sort of behavior that brought down Weinstein. Somehow Hefner is a hero and Weinstein is a villain -- even though a good many people (mostly women) accusing Weinstein are rich and famous because of him.

User avatar
AndyinPA
Posts: 3228
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#30

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm
I would like to point out that the fall of Harvey Weinstein comes a week after the death of Hugh Hefner. Hefner getting mostly eulogies even though his career consisted very much of the same sort of behavior that brought down Weinstein. Somehow Hefner is a hero and Weinstein is a villain -- even though a good many people (mostly women) accusing Weinstein are rich and famous because of him.
Ouch on that last statement.

As for Hugh Hefner, I can't remember where I read it, but he bought the grave next to Marilyn Monroe years ago. The article stated that his first issue of Playboy used nude photos of her without her permission. If I find the link, I'll post it.

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#31

Post by maydijo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm
I would like to point out that the fall of Harvey Weinstein comes a week after the death of Hugh Hefner. Hefner getting mostly eulogies even though his career consisted very much of the same sort of behavior that brought down Weinstein. Somehow Hefner is a hero and Weinstein is a villain -- even though a good many people (mostly women) accusing Weinstein are rich and famous because of him.
Not everyone is defending Hefner. Personally I think he was an abusive creep, and I know plenty of other people who feel the same way. I sincerely hope they move Marilyn Monroe's body and bury Harvey Weinstein there instead when he dies, because burying himself next to Marilyn Monroe is just one final act of abuse in a lifetime full of them. Many journalists have also written about Hefner's abusive behaviour. Since his death I've read at least as many pieces damning him as praising him.

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#32

Post by maydijo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm
I would like to point out that the fall of Harvey Weinstein comes a week after the death of Hugh Hefner. Hefner getting mostly eulogies even though his career consisted very much of the same sort of behavior that brought down Weinstein. Somehow Hefner is a hero and Weinstein is a villain -- even though a good many people (mostly women) accusing Weinstein are rich and famous because of him.
I would like to respectfully submit that you went too far here. You seem to be implying that these women are famous because they went along with the abuse and remained silent. I would submit that, instead, they are famous despite Weinstein.

User avatar
kate520
Posts: 15700
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Dark side of the Moon
Occupation: servant of cats, chicken wrangler
Contact:

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#33

Post by kate520 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:28 pm

:oops:
When I heard about the allegations, my first thought was “Impossible! I’ll never believe it. There is no one in Hollywood gayer than Harvey Fierstein!” :roll:

People are making a big deal of this being Hollywood, everyone in Hollywood is so hypocritical...but it’s the same everywhere, just magnified in Hollywood. The number of CEOs, CFOs, HR people who do exactly the same thing as Piggy Weinstein is pretty high, in women’s experience, they just aren’t in the public spotlight all the time.
Off Topic
Part of the Hindu religion is the concept of Yugas, cycles of time, or ages, that have a particular flavor. There are four Yugas:
The Kali Yuga (Iron Age) was preceded by three others Yugas: Satya or Krita Yuga (Golden Age), Treta Yuga (Silver Age) and the Dwapara Yuga (Bronze Age). Kali Yuga; the age of darkness, when moral virtue and mental capabilities reach their lowest point in the cycle.
https://grahamhancock.com/dmisrab6/

So, we’re in the trough of the Kali Yuga right now. It’s about to ascend again, though, according to many scholars, beginning in 2025, and swing up to another golden age, Satya Yuga. Hang on, if you can, the next 1200 years are going to be brilliant! :lol:

I look at everything that’s going on now - Roger Ailes, gone on account of being just too misogynistic for the baby Murdochs; O’Reilly, out; Weinstein, smashed. Trump, one of the worst misogynists and abusers, has been elevated but only for the world to see him in all his uglory fall hard from his self-made pedestal. The Fox things - even 2 years ago I wouldn’t have thought them possible.

It really does feel like the end of an era and the beginning of the next. The world has changed so much around us and we haven’t updated our old operating systems yet. I’m ready...
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

User avatar
June bug
Posts: 6152
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Northern San Diego County

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#34

Post by June bug » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:30 pm

kate520 wrote:I’m ready...
Lord knows so am I, girlfriend!

Lunaluz
Posts: 571
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:22 pm
Location: Seattle area
Occupation: Bean Counter for Boeing Commercial. You break it I find a way to fix it.

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#35

Post by Lunaluz » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:34 pm

maydijo wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 pm
Fortinbras wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:39 pm
I would like to point out that the fall of Harvey Weinstein comes a week after the death of Hugh Hefner. Hefner getting mostly eulogies even though his career consisted very much of the same sort of behavior that brought down Weinstein. Somehow Hefner is a hero and Weinstein is a villain -- even though a good many people (mostly women) accusing Weinstein are rich and famous because of him.
I would like to respectfully submit that you went too far here. You seem to be implying that these women are famous because they went along with the abuse and remained silent. I would submit that, instead, they are famous despite Weinstein.
I would like to further add, these ladies should not have had to be put in that position to begin with. They had a choice to make.. shut up and pursue their craft, or kick up a fuss and end up blackballed. He settled with at least 8 women and they had to sign a non-disclosure. I bet many of them are not in the business anymore. I thought Hugh Hefner was a creep in the first place.

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#36

Post by maydijo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:14 pm

One good thing I've noticed with the Weinstein scandal is that hardly anyone is claiming the women are lying and/or money/publicity whores. Even as recently as the Cosby allegations, people were lining up to call the women opportunists. Maybe we really are turning a corner?

User avatar
Sterngard Friegen
Posts: 45142
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:32 am
Location: Over the drawbridge

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#37

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Weinstein's wife of 10 years is divorcing him. Apparently he is no longer useful to her in what I would refer to as a "transactional marriage."

User avatar
Notorial Dissent
Posts: 12904
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#38

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 pm
Weinstein's wife of 10 years is divorcing him. Apparently he is no longer useful to her in what I would refer to as a "transactional marriage."
You old smooth talker you. :rotflmao:
The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2931
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#39

Post by Fortinbras » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:43 pm

I am not so sure they are famous despite Harvey Weinstein. Harvey did not invent the casting couch ... not by at least a century. A great many women who achieved fame and fortune in the theater, in opera, in Broadway, in Hollywood, long before Weinstein went to work - even before Weinstein was born, found it advantageous to lie back and think of England. I'll bet there are a considerable number, even among those celebrities who have come forward to cast stones at him, who would admit that they were desperate to appear in his productions.

(I suspect his wife is divorcing him now - when it appears that his career is dead and buried - because the community property is never going to be more sizeable than it is right now.)

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#40

Post by maydijo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:47 pm

You're skirting awful close to blaming the victim, Forti.

Edited to add: The women who have come forward - amongst them some very prominent actresses - rejected his advances. Three were raped. Do you really want to play the "They did it to advance their career and now they're regretting it" card?

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 16995
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#41

Post by Suranis » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:11 am

I think what Forti is trying to say is that the Movie industry is a dirty business, and everyone knows it going in. Denying that reality is denying half the story. They might have hated it, and felt degraded and felt they were forced into it, but denying that for some the rewards are there for those who went through the system is denying half the story.

Because becoming rich and an icon like Paltrow is what motivated the next generation to be willing to open their legs on the casting couch, rather than telling them to go to hell. Paltrow in effect becomes part of the system of abuse by legitimizing the system. She shows the rewards are legitimately there if you just lie back, and are lucky.

Its a bit like when a woman (whose name I cant remember) said she was molested by Cosby when she was at the Hefner Playboy Mansion at a party when she was 15. The one question I asked that the so called moral media never asked; What the fuck was a 15 year old girl doing at a party at the Playboy mansion? She had to know what might happen. Her PARENTS had to know what might happen. The Media know the only reason that a 15 year old would be at a party at the Playboy Mansion. But in the Calvanist and totally not sexually sick society of the USA, all that is swept under the carpet, as looking at the wider system and society that perpetuates this sort of shit is WAAAAY too harsh a thing to contemplate. Just looking at Cosby or Weinstien and tut tuting them as outliers is the way to go.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#42

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:07 am

No, Suranis. You are assuming facts not in evidence re: Paltrow and all the rest. All of the women (including Paltrow) who have come forward have been very clear that they DID, indeed, tell him to go to hell (or words to that effect) except for the three who were raped. The only way that what you say flies, is if you're calling them liars, in addition to sluts who were willing to do whatever it took to make a career for themselves. Do you really want to go there?

User avatar
Fortinbras
Posts: 2931
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#43

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:09 am

Harvey Weinstein's accomplishments in movie production ....
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005544/?ref_=nv_sr_1
.... are monumental. He wasn't the only Hollywood big shot doing what he did. Studio heads, producers, directors, casting agents, publicity agents, et al., had their own casting couches - not all of them hetero. Many of them are now dead and gone and quite a few were eulogized. Some even have landmarks named in their honor. Harvey Weinstein lived this long, he was caught, his friends abandoned him, and now he has lots of time to contemplate how the world turns. Maybe his next project will be Shakespeare's Timon of Athens.

TexasFilly
Posts: 18529
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#44

Post by TexasFilly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:41 am

Stop digging ! Besides it being a stupid tactic, it's deplorable and offensive.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 16995
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#45

Post by Suranis » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:44 am

I only used Paltrow's name because she came up in the thread. I really don't know anything about what she said or who said what, as I haven't read any of the news reports. He was scum, he got busted, that's all that matters to me.

And if what you are taking out of what I said is "it's the women's fault," then you are really barking up the wrong tree.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 16995
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#46

Post by Suranis » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:56 am

On a similar vein, Chris Cillizza was all "why hasn't Hillary said anything Hillary is EEEEVIL and it shows it's all her fault." untill today, when Hillary Clinton released a statement, and then he literally changed a published piece to "Why did it take her this long to release a statement, Hillary is EEEVIL, and it shows it's all her fault."
Good. We done here? NOPE, because what did Cole say up there about how Cillizza’s next piece would be “what took her so long”? The only thing he got wrong is that Cillizza didn’t write a “next piece,” he merely CHANGED THE FUCKING HEADLINE OF HIS ORIGINAL PIECE to reflect that Clinton had finally acceded to his wishes by releasing a statement, but that she had done so INCORRECTLY:

:snippity:

Also, he haaaaates Hillary Clinton for some reason, just like he hates Nancy Pelosi for some reason. We’d call it a weird manifestation of deep-seated sexism possibly rooted in feelings of severe inadequacy, but … nah fuck it, why not let’s just call it that!

Now, we know what’s likely rolling around in that weird-shaped head of his. Since Cillizza went to the Chuck Todd School For Kids Who Can’t Journalism Good And Want To Learn How To Do Other Stuff Good Too, this is probably his proof that BOTH SIDES DO IT, because hey, President Donald Trump might be an admitted sex slimer, but did you hear about Harvey Weinstein? AND EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY, #WhatAbout Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama BUT MOSTLY HILLARY CLINTON, who didn’t comment on the Harvey Weinstein allegations on Chris Cillizza’s holy schedule?

Jesus man, go fuck yourself.

On Monday, we noted all the men on the internet blaming all the various women for the actual sex crimes committed by Harvey Weinstein. Remember this one?

Read more at https://wonkette.com/624107/oh-chris-ci ... hyJHxMh.99
Edit: Oh and here's a pic of the stein with the Kushners, for people who are throwing around pics of the Stein with Hills.

Image
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

busterbunker
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:49 pm

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#47

Post by busterbunker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:14 am

I come from the entertainment business. I have bad news to report. This behavior has been accepted as part of the game.

Pretty much every female in the business has a horror story in their resume.

We loved Bill Cosby, what a shame, we were bummed. Then President Pigface hit the scene, wearing rape as his badge of honor.

That changed the game.

A necessary emetic. Get the poison out of the system. More heads in Hollywood may fall. They may roll upward, for a change.

User avatar
maydijo
Posts: 2764
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:23 pm
Location: where women glow and men plunder
Occupation: harassing marsupials

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#48

Post by maydijo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:11 am

Suranis wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:11 am
Denying that for some the rewards are there for those who went through the system is denying half the story. . . Paltrow in effect becomes part of the system of abuse by legitimizing the system. She shows the rewards are legitimately there if you just lie back, and are lucky.

What the fuck was a 15 year old girl doing at a party at the Playboy mansion? She had to know what might happen.
Gee, I'm sorry, how could I possibly think you are blaming the victim when you say things like that?

:sarcasm:

:cussing:

User avatar
ZekeB
Posts: 16105
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm
Location: Northwest part of Semi Blue State

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#49

Post by ZekeB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:17 am

In our country, Suranis, a 15 year old girl is legally too immature to make any of those decisions. She is also too young to give legal consent to things like that.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

User avatar
Suranis
Posts: 16995
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:04 am

Re: The Disgrace that is Harvey Weinstein

#50

Post by Suranis » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 am

Oh yes, it does when you chop off the next 2 sentences. "Her PARENTS had to know what might happen. The Media know the only reason that a 15 year old would be at a party at the Playboy Mansion." Yes I totally was blaming just her, and not blaming her parents and the media not questioning why a 15 year old girl was in what was effectively a brothel.

I guess I totally was not thinking she might have been a victim of sex trafficing from her parents who might rented her out to the hefner party as a nice fresh, possibly virginal chew toy. And I certainly would not see it as indicating that the system of sexual abuse for women looking to be famous was normalized, to the point that the media accepted Hefner grooming underage women as tomorrow or even today's chew toy for the guys. And didn't even comment on it. And the only angle worth considering is that one of the guys that groped her was today's famous serial abuser among dozens of guys that were there.

Yeah, I must think a 15 year old was totally at fault here. Yeesh. :bored:

*see new reply*

Yes ZeekB, I know. That was part of my point. What was someone who was not legally able to give consent doing at what was almost certainly a sex party. Its almost like it was an accepted part of the system. Naa, that's the crazy talk of a mysoginist...
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Post Reply

Return to “Current Events”