Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Hurricane Recovery

Sugar Magnolia

Re: Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Hurricane Recovery

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Turtle wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:01 pm
I see a report at buzzfeed that there are almost 1,000 dead and bodies are being burned. Haven't seen it anywhere else though.
And I have no doubt that the final, official death count will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 100.

Because trump is doing such a magnificent job, of course. Well, that and the rule that an ME or Coroner must view the body and officially declare them dead before they are added to the body count. I guess people in PR are just gonna leave Granny lying in the front yard until the local Quincy shows up.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 am
https:// twitter.com/NBCNews/status/923538980578254849
NBC News ✔@NBCNews
Health professionals fear an epidemic as waterborne illnesses are on the rise in Puerto Rico https://nbcnews.trib.al/KSHxmIB
15:17 - 26 Oct 2017
29 29 Replies 188 188 Retweets 120 120 likes
Waterborne illnesses are on the rise in Puerto Rico in the wake Hurricane Maria — and health professionals fear the storm's aftermath could unleash an epidemic on the devastated island.
:snippity:
Question out of the blue: has anyone thought of shipping third world small water purification devices to Puerto Rico ? Ones like people in refugee camps are given, ones like travellers, campers and hikers like to use?

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:25 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:19 pm
Volkonski wrote:
NBC News ✔@NBCNews
Health professionals fear an epidemic as waterborne illnesses are on the rise in Puerto Rico https://nbcnews.trib.al/KSHxmIB
Waterborne illnesses are on the rise in Puerto Rico in the wake Hurricane Maria — and health professionals fear the storm's aftermath could unleash an epidemic on the devastated island.
Question out of the blue: has anyone thought of shipping third world small water purification devices to Puerto Rico ? Ones like people in refugee camps are given, ones like travellers, campers and hikers like to use?
Getting stuff to PR isn't the issue. The issue is all the people who aren't near a city, whose roads are still blocked, who have no communications to know when/where supplies might be available, etc. They could have a million of them sitting on the docks and no way to get them to the people who need them, or even know where those people might be.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:46 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:19 pm
Volkonski wrote:
NBC News ✔@NBCNews
If I recall correctly, when Trump was in PR, someone was showing him a water purification kit they were distributing (guessing an iodine based one), and Trump thought they were a scam. Will search for a link. . .

edit: (violating 4 paragraph rule b/c paragraphs are so short)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 06542fd911
The church is also distributing water purification kits, and a member explained the process to the president.

“Wait,” Trump said, “you put it in dirty water?”

“And then you can drink it after 10 to 12 hours,” she explained.

“Would you do it? Would you drink it?” he asked.

“Sure,” she said.

“Really?” Trump said, a disgusted look coming across his face.

“Really,” she said.

“Is this your company or something?” Trump asked the woman, seeming suspicious of the aggressive pitch.

“No,” she said, “I’m part of the church.”

“This is an interesting thing,” Trump said as he started to hand out the kits. “Try that.”

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:39 pm

The Puerto Rican government told BuzzFeed News Friday that it allowed 911 bodies to be cremated since Hurricane Maria made landfall, and that not one of them were physically examined by a government medical examiner to determine if it should be included in the official death toll.

Every one of the 911 died of "natural causes" not related to the devastating storm, said Karixia Ortiz Serrano, a spokesperson for the Department of Public Safety who is also speaking for the Institute of Forensic Sciences — which is in charge of confirming hurricane deaths. The "natural causes" designations were made by reviewing records, not actually examining the bodies, she said.

The government's revelation comes after BuzzFeed News reported earlier Friday that directors of funeral homes and crematoriums in two municipalities were permitted by the government to burn the bodies of many people the directors thought died as a result of the hurricane — without a government pathologist examining the corpses first to determine if they should be counted in the official death toll.

The current death toll stands at 51. Twenty of those official deaths were cremations.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:22 am

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:46 pm
If I recall correctly, when Trump was in PR, someone was showing him a water purification kit they were distributing (guessing an iodine based one), and Trump thought they were a scam. Will search for a link. . .

The church is also distributing water purification kits, and a member explained the process to the president.

“Sure,” she said.

“Really,” she said.

“Is this your company or something?” Trump asked the woman, seeming suspicious of the aggressive pitch.

“This is an interesting thing,” Trump said as he started to hand out the kits. “Try that.”
Off Topic
Water is an issue for us. We have no well; we have our water delivered by truck to fill our 2000 gal. cistern. If the water guy can’t get up the mountain because of snow, or we lose power and can’t pump the water into the house, we’re screwed. I’ve thought about this off and on, but what’s happening in PR has made me think seriously about it again.

We have filters and iodine, but I wanted a longer-term solution that would work even if I don’t have power. So I got a distiller that works with a wood-burning camp stove (dry wood is something that we have plenty of). If I tended it for about 6 hours straight I can make about five gallons of pure, clean water from my pond. It’s a bit of work, but it can mean the difference between health and sickness.

I’m not one if these oh-shit-the-government-is-going-to-collapse preppers, but we’re In a place that’s hard to get to. All that has to happen is for one of these oaks to fall on the power line, or for us to get a couple of feet if snow at an inconvenient time. That hadn’t happened yet, but it easily could.

tencats

Post by tencats » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:34 pm

Whitefish Energy contract bars government from auditing deal
http://thehill.com/homenews/administrat ... iting-deal
A copy of the deal highlighted by reporter Ken Klippenstein reveals that the government isn't allowed to "audit or review the cost and profit elements" under the agreement, allowing the company greater discretion and secrecy for how it spends the $300 million to restore power to the island. Puerto Rico is rebuilding after two major hurricanes wiped out most of the island's electrical grid.

Whitefish signed the deal with the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA), which also prohibits the government from making "any claim against Contractor related to delayed completion of work."
Puerto Rico governor wants Whitefish power contract cancelled

Deal with company from interior secretary’s home town investigated
Ricardo Rossello says $8m paid so far as White House says it had no role

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -cancelled
Fema has raised concerns about how Whitefish got the deal and whether the contracted prices were reasonable. The two-year-old company had just two full-time employees when the storm hit, but it has since hired more than 300 workers.

A Whitefish contract obtained by the Associated Press found that the deal included $20,277 an hour for a heavy-lift Chinook helicopter, $650 an hour for a large crane truck, $322 an hour for a foreman of a power line crew, $319 an hour for a journeyman lineman and $286 an hour for a mechanic.

Each worker also gets a daily allowance of $80 for food, $332 for a hotel room and $1,000 for each flight to or from the mainland.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:47 pm

There was a woman on one of the Whitefish threads who said those provisions are standard in government contracts. And said it. And said it again, in about 50,000 tweets. I wonder why.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:57 pm

The governor of Puerto Rico wants to cancel the Whitefish contract.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... ae1d7eba3a

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:59 pm

I understand from above in this thread that the fishy company made a contract with the power company. It requests that the government cannot look into its books. Question: is this even a valid clause as the government was not party to this contract? I bet any if the government feels troubled about the work, that an AG will get a judges permission to look at the numbers.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:00 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:32 pm
Dan1100 wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:46 pm

“Sure,” she said.

“Really,” she said.

Off Topic
Water is an issue for us. We have no well; we have our water delivered by truck to fill our 2000 gal. cistern. If the water guy can’t get up the mountain because of snow, or we lose power and can’t pump the water into the house, we’re screwed. I’ve thought about this off and on, but what’s happening in PR has made me think seriously about it again.

We have filters and iodine, but I wanted a longer-term solution that would work even if I don’t have power. So I got a distiller that works with a wood-burning camp stove (dry wood is something that we have plenty of). If I tended it for about 6 hours straight I can make about five gallons of pure, clean water from my pond. It’s a bit of work, but it can mean the difference between health and sickness.

I’m not one if these oh-shit-the-government-is-going-to-collapse preppers, but we’re In a place that’s hard to get to. All that has to happen is for one of these oaks to fall on the power line, or for us to get a couple of feet if snow at an inconvenient time. That hadn’t happened yet, but it easily could.
Off Topic
We should do that. Like many rural Australians we're reliant on rainwater to fill our tanks, and we also have to truck in water if the tanks run out of water (which has has happened once.) We should have a back-up in case the water tanker can't make it. Can I ask what brand disteller you have?

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:19 pm

We have the Waterwise 1600 non-electric distiller. There are a lot of good quality electric distillers on the market, but I wanted one that would work without power. I also have the Silverfire Hunter gasifier camp stove. With these two pieces if equipment, I was able to distill just over a gallon if water in about 1 hour and 45 minutes, give or take.

http://www.waterwise.com/productcart/pc/1600.asp

https://www.silverfire.us/hunter-chimney-stove

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Off Topic
Remember there is 30 or 40 gallons of clean water in your hot water heater that you can get at from the drain spigot at the bottom.

edit: if you have a conventional water heater with a tank.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:28 pm
Off Topic
Remember there is 30 or 40 gallons of clean water in your hot water heater that you can get at from the drain spigot at the bottom
Off Topic
Not ours. We have an on demand propane water heater.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:37 pm

So will they now follow the normal process and call in mutual aid from all the other power companies?

-Steve Martin

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:37 pm

The Whitefish contract was just cancelled, per announcement on MSNBC.

ETA Ninja'd!

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/12/us/w ... -rico.html
The Lineman Got $63 an Hour. The Utility Was Billed $319 an Hour.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 am

Holy Crap! Again?
"An unproven Florida company failed to deliver emergency supplies to Puerto Rico to help rebuild homes following the devastation of Hurricane Maria, The Associated Press reports.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) had awarded $30 million in federal contracts to Bronze Star LLC to provide tarps and other materials to residents needing to temporarily patch their homes.
FEMA has canceled the contracts without paying any money, but it took nearly four weeks for the agency to cancel the contract, keeping the valuable disaster relief funds from being used elsewhere.
While an agency spokesman told The AP that FEMA has properly vetted companies helping in the recovery effort, Bronze Star, a small family company started in August, has never before been awarded a government contract or supplied plastic tarps"
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ico-relief

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:47 am
Holy Crap! Again?
While an agency spokesman told The AP that FEMA has properly vetted companies helping in the recovery effort, Bronze Star, a small family company started in August, has never before been awarded a government contract or supplied plastic tarps"
http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... ico-relief
And their ties to Washington DC representatives is ???

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:12 am

Some in Congress want the same financial oversight board managing PR’s budget crisis to oversee the rebuilding. Needless to say, it’s controversial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... 7cae29b2f7

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Hospitals across the United States are bracing for a potentially big problem: Stock piles of saline, a critical medical supply, are running low.

Saline solution is used in dialysis and surgery, to clean wounds, to inject medication from antibiotics to chemotherapy and to treat dehydration. Thousands of saline bags are used by medical professionals every day, and the problem is big enough that the U.S. Food & Drug Administration is taking notice.

A majority of saline used in the United States is produced in Puerto Rico. The aftermath of Hurricane Maria, plus a flu season in full swing, has created this perfect storm.

"The FDA has been working closely with federal and Puerto Rican authorities to help stabilize the medical products manufacturing sector," an FDA spokesman said in a news release. "We’re taking steps to mitigate or avert product shortages but we’ve still seen shortages of certain medically important products, some of which are sourced primarily or only in Puerto Rico."
Seems Puerto Rico really is needed by the rest of the USA.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:51 am

Puerto Rico: Power restored to 55% of customers, governor's office says

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/29/us/puerto ... index.html

The Army Corps of Engineers has projected that power will be restored for most people by March, but those in very remote areas might have to wait until May because of the difficulty in moving supplies.

Efforts to bring back power have been hampered by the remoteness of some residents and lack of materials.

The Army Corps of Engineers has said there's a shortage of supplies because of other natural disasters in the United States.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:48 am

https://shareblue.com/trump-is-cruelly- ... Bg.twitter
Trump is cruelly withholding disaster aid from Puerto Rico

On a press call on Wednesday afternoon, Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy — who this week traveled to Puerto Rico to check on relief efforts and speak with Gov. Ricardo Rosselló — revealed the shocking fact that Trump has not even touched the federal funds that Congress set aside for the island’s recovery:
It’s important to note that the White House has not released the money thaongress appropriated last year. That was a major issue that came up with our discussions with the governor. We appropriated money, mainly through CDBG funding, and the White House has held that money back. It has not landed on the ground in Puerto Rico, which makes us very reluctant to hand over the keys to the White House with the disaster package passed by the House that doesn’t mandate that a single dime land in Puerto Rico. That bill authorized $90 million to be divided up as the White House desired among the existing disaster declarations.

Given how cavalier this White House has been about the disaster and the recovery in Puerto Rico, we simply don’t believe that it’s responsible for Congress to pass a disaster relief package that doesn’t guarantee money will end up aiding Puerto Rico.
This sort of inaction from Trump’s administration is absolutely inexcusable. Over a thousand people have died, and nearly 50 percent of Puerto Rico still does not have power, as Murphy vividly demonstrated in a tweet on Tuesday night

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

Return to “Current Events”