Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Hurricane Recovery

pipistrelle

Re: Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Hurricane Recovery

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 pm

My take is that his baseless (and base) attacks on Puerto Rico, his paper towel throwing stunt, and his "me me me" twittering have made it appear his government's response is not all it could or should be, whether it is or not. It's never about the good of Puerto Rico or the people; it is all about him. That's what's generating the disgust.

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 pm
My take is that his baseless (and base) attacks on Puerto Rico, his paper towel throwing stunt, and his "me me me" twittering have made it appear his government's response is not all it could or should be, whether it is or not. It's never about the good of Puerto Rico or the people; it is all about him. That's what's generating the disgust.
I think that’s right.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Maybenaut wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 pm
pipistrelle wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:40 pm
I think that’s right.
And the fact that he's not offering comforting messages at the very least; instead, he's fabricating "controversies" like kneeling football players and NBC.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 pm

Lani wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:43 am
Rachel Maddow reported on Puerto Rico again tonight. While people are going without food and are drinking polluted water, the USS Comfort has taken on only 8 patients. And a medical field operation decided to have a spa day instead of providing care. Meanwhile, people sicken by bacterial infections die.
I'd be a little cautious in drawing judgments about the spa day. First, from what I could read of the resignation letter by pausing the thing, it appears that the field operation didn't do the spa day instead of providing care (from what I could tell, the off shift did the spa thing). Second, and more importantly, providing an opportunity for some respite is important, particularly if the team has been working on a 12-on, 12-off basis since arrival (which I understand is the standard practice). After 10+ consecutive days of 12-hour shifts, fatigue-related mistakes start to become a legitimate concern.

That's one of the reasons that the hours residents work have been sharply curtailed in recent years. Those changes, and others designed to reduce the effect of fatigued providers on patient care, didn't come easily. There was quite a bit of pushback against proposals to reduce work hours, on various grounds, and I'd expect pushback on similar grounds against efforts to ensure that providers in disaster zones get some respite. It would not surprise me to learn that a hard-charging and very competent physician with the energy to successfully complete multiple residencies and board certifications does not fully comprehend that her own energy level, ability to continuously focus on the job, and resiliency in disaster situations may not be universally shared amongst her co-workers.*

I'd also be cautious about drawing conclusions based on the Comfort's patient load. It can contribute by providing beds when needed, but it's also able to contribute by assisting local hospitals. In some cases, that's a better option for all concerned, particularly if there is no good shore berth for the Comfort. (Reduces risks of patient movements, for a start.)

*I'm married to a multiple board-certified physician who has completed multiple residencies. She has a good understanding of overwork/under-rest than she used to (partly because of personal experiences and partly because of extensive research into patient safety practices), but that was not always the case.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 pm

The DOD was saying as of the 14th that the Comfort had treated100 patients:
Providing medical facilities has been a priority. A combat surgical hospital is operating in the southeastern part of the island, the general said. The hospital serving that portion of the island was destroyed when Marie came ashore. Air Force medical personnel are setting up in the northwestern part of the island, he said, and the medical crew aboard the hospital ship USNS Comfort has seen more than 100 patients since arriving in the region. More help is coming in, Buchanan noted, as eight pallets of medical supplies are expected to arrive on the island today.
Here’s a link to the DOD presser: https://www.defense.gov/news/article/ar ... erto-rico/

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:09 am

It’s possible that both statements are correct, that the Comfort had taken onboard only 8 patients and that medical crew onboard had seen over 100 patients. Staff can go offship to see and treat patients.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:02 pm

Real death toll in Puerto Rico is probably 450 — much higher than official count

https://amp.usatoday.com/story/774918001/
The official count is now 48 deaths. But the news site Vox thought that number seemed off.

"We knew from reports on the ground, and investigative journalists who've also been looking into this, that this was very likely way too low of a number,” said Eliza Barclay, an editor at Vox.

So they dug into the numbers, cross-checking with news reports, and found that the number of casualties resulting from the hurricane was probably much closer to 450.

:snippity:

-At the time of the report, the official death toll was 43. -National and local news outlets reported an additional 36 deaths attributed to the hurricane. -NPR reported an additional 49 bodies with unidentified cause of death sent to a hospital morgue since the storm. -The Los Angeles Times reported 50 more deaths than normal in one region in the three days after the hurricane. -Puerto Rico's Center for Investigative Reporting found 69 hospital morgues were are at “capacity.” -According to El Vocero newspaper, 350 bodies are being stored at the Institute of Forensic Sciences awaiting autopsies, but it’s not clear how many of them were there before the hurricane.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Just heard on NPR there have now been 74 cases of Leptospirosis.

Lepto is spread by exposure to water contaminated with urine or urine itself. It has to get on an open cut or mucus membrane.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Dan1100 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:18 pm

Lepto is spread by exposure to water contaminated with urine or urine itself. It has to get on an open cut or mucus membrane.
And I think it's easily treatable with antibiotics. People aren't getting them as they can't access the needed medical help. The hospital ship is sitting there, nowhere near up to capacity.

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:53 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:38 pm
Dan1100 wrote:

And I think it's easily treatable with antibiotics. People aren't getting them as they can't access the needed medical help. The hospital ship is sitting there, nowhere near up to capacity.
It is.

I've had lepto (see upthread). I went to the urgent care center on day 3. The fever broke and didn't come back within hours of taking the first dose of Doxycycline.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:59 pm

:eek2:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:53 pm

AndyinPA wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:38 pm
Dan1100 wrote:

I understand that the hospital ship at arrival unloaded several field hospitals and that their staff is working mainly out there "in the wild". It's my totally uneducated guess that the hospital ship will only be caring for severe cases and with need of ICU facilities (assuming that the patients are transportable).

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Deep from the Heart: Hurricane Relief Concert with Former Presidents
Live on Oct 21 at 7:00pm Central Time. Featuring performances by ALABAMA, Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keen, Lee Greenwood, Sam Moore Cassadee Pope, Yolanda Adams, Stephanie Quayle, The Gatlins - Larry, Rudy, Steve, and LaDonna Gatlin Johns
Former presidents make their appearance at about the 1:37hrs marker

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Comment: I bet a real POTUS would have joined in with a short video messsage from the Oval Office...

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:32 pm

RTH10260 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:18 pm
Comment: I bet a real POTUS would have joined in with a short video messsage from the Oval Office...
Too bad we don't have a real POTUS.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:33 pm

The presidential addresses in extracted:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Carter looks amazing.

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:22 pm

Is anyone else surprised at the lack of national outrage about conditions in Puerto Rico? They still lack electricity and running water, third-world diseases are rampant, and the last thing the POTUS said was to call them a bunch of deadbeats looking for government handouts.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 am

RTH10260 wrote:
It was reported on Irish news that Trump did send a video message.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/politics-shove ... d=50632768

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:43 am

Suranis wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 am
RTH10260 wrote:
It was reported on Irish news that Trump did send a video message.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/politics-shove ... d=50632768

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=G46NYFFBWyo
H/T to Suranis!

Nice, hadn't seen that mentioned before. At least an effort to join in, and likely better than live where he may have gone off script .

Dolly

Post by Dolly » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:19 am

Small company from Trump Interior chief's hometown wins massive contract to restore Puerto Rico's power

A small Montana company located in Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke's hometown has signed a $300 million contract to help get the power back on in Puerto Rico, The Washington Post reported.

Whitefish Energy had only two full-time employees on the day Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico, according to the Post. The company signed the contract — the largest yet issued to help restore Puerto Rico — with the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) to fix the island's electrical infrastructure.

The company now has 280 workers on the island, the Post reported, a majority of whom are subcontractors.

A former senior official at the Energy Department and state regulatory agencies said it was "odd" that Whitefish Energy would be chosen.
Whitefish Energy happened to be the first firm "available to arrive and they were the ones that first accepted terms and conditions for PREPA," Ricardo Ramos, the executive director of PREPA, told reporters.

“The doubts that have been raised about Whitefish, from my point of view, are completely unfounded,” he added.
Zinke's office said in an email to the Post that Zinke and Whitefish Energy's chief executive know each other.

"Everybody knows everybody" in the town, Zinke's office said, adding that Zinke wasn't involved in the contract.
http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/posting. ... 27&t=10077

Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 am

Waterborne illnesses are on the rise in Puerto Rico in the wake Hurricane Maria — and health professionals fear the storm's aftermath could unleash an epidemic on the devastated island.

The death toll from to the storm rose to 51 on Tuesday, with the two latest victims dying of leptospirosis, a bacterial disease usually spread by contact with contaminated water, Puerto Rico Public Affairs Secretary Ramon Rosario told the Associated Press.

:snippity:

The over 70 suspected incidents of leptospirosis in just a month would represent a major spike: A total of 729 cases of leptospirosis were reported from 1990-2014 to the Puerto Rico Department of Health, according to a 2016 study in the journal PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, of which 78 were fatal. However, the study warned that leptospirosis was underreported or misdiagnosed as dengue.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Dan1100

Post by Dan1100 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Lepto is underreported. It more often than not gets "fever of unknown origin," a big bottle of doxycycline, and you get sent home.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

-Steve Martin

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:01 pm

I see a report at buzzfeed that there are almost 1,000 dead and bodies are being burned. Haven't seen it anywhere else though.

Return to “Current Events”