Rest in Peace

RTH10260

Re: Rest in Peace

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 am

Helmut Kohl, Chancellor Who Reunited Germany, Dies at 87

JUNE 16, 2017

By CRAIG R. WHITNEY and ALAN COWELL

Christian Democratic Union chairman Helmut Kohl is congratulated as the new chancellor of Germany. Credit dpa, via Associated Press
Helmut Kohl, a towering postwar figure who reunified Germany after 45 years of Cold War antagonism, propelled a deeply held vision of Europe’s integration and earned plaudits from Moscow and Washington for his deft handling of the fall of the Berlin Wall, died on Friday at his home in Ludwigshafen, Germany, the Rhine port city where he was born. He was 87.

“We mourn,” his party, the Christian Democratic Union, said on Twitter in announcing his death.

With his diplomacy, resolve and readiness to commit huge sums to ending his country’s division, Mr. Kohl was remembered by many as a giant of epochal times that remade Europe’s political architecture, dismantled the minefields and watchtowers of the Iron Curtain and replaced the eyeball-to-eyeball armed confrontation between East and West with an enduring, if often challenged, coexistence between former sworn foes.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/16/worl ... -dead.html

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:00 am

Ben Finney, Professor Emeritus of the University of Hawaii and first president of the Polynesian Voyaging Society, died on June 13th at age 83.

He was distinguished for rejecting Thor Heyerdahl's theory that Hawaii was first populated by Polynesians all of whom arrived there by mere chance; he demonstrated that a single boat of Polynesian sailors, without any instruments, could find the Hawaiian islands and return to their home islands with the knowledge and ability to communicate the route to Hawaii so that a multitude of boats could sail there intentionally.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 am

He was proved to be correct. We celebrated it earlier tonight.
In moving ceremony, huge crowds welcome Hokulea home
MAGIC ISLAND (HawaiiNewsNow) - In a moving and powerful ceremony, tens of thousands crowded into Magic Island on Saturday to welcome Hokulea home from her unprecedented, three-year voyage around the globe and to show their support for the trek's core message -- to care for the earth.

The double-hulled sailing canoe, officially a "state treasure," was greeted with chants and cheers — and its crew members with lei, hugs and tears.
:snippity:

During her sail around the globe, her crew using only ancient navigating techniques that employ the sun, stars, waves and seabirds, Hokulea traveled more than 40,000 nautical miles and docked at 150 ports. She stopped in Tahiti and Brazil, in South Africa and New York City, in Cuba and the nation's capital.
http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinewsno ... d=bizs76Cg

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:29 am

WOW!!!

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:33 am

Yeah. Lots of pride in Hawaii. Very impressive.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:05 am

Bill Dana, the comedy writer who created and acted the luckless Hispanic character Jose Jimenez, died on Monday at age 93.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/19/arts ... ctionfront

He created the Jose Jimenez character for the Steve Allen Show, and subsequently played the role in a TV comedy series. He retired the Jose Jimenez character in 1972, largely because it was as inappropriate and invidious as blackface. Thereafter he mostly wrote comedy, altho he did play a recurring character on Golden Girls.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Bloomberg
Gabe Pressman, New York Newsman From Dawn of TV Age, Dies at 93

Gabe Pressman, a mainstay of New York City journalism who helped invent the role of television newsman in the 1950s and then lived it for 60 years, has died. He was 93.

He died Friday, according to WNBC-TV, the NBC-owned station in New York City, where he was a senior correspondent. No cause was given.

For print, radio and then television, Pressman covered and questioned 10 mayors, from William O’Dwyer in the 1950s through Bill de Blasio, elected in 2013. He moderated debates between candidates for city and statewide office in New York, and statewide office in New Jersey.

His blunt, adversarial style prompted former New York Senator Alfonse D’Amato to accuse him “of doing a hatchet job” during a TV interview. Former Governor Mario Cuomo once quipped to him on-camera, “I need a lawyer when I talk to you.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Na Na Na Na

Na Na Na Na

Hey, Hey, Hey.

... Goodbye
Steam singer Gary DeCarlo, who co-wrote and sang lead on the band's enduring 1969 hit "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye," died following a battle with lung cancer. He was 75.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... ad-w490246

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Paddington Bear creator Michael Bond dies aged 91

By Paul Sandle | LONDON

Michael Bond, the British creator of Paddington Bear, a marmalade sandwich-loving refugee from Peru who entertained generations of children with his exploits in London, died on Tuesday aged 91 after a short illness.

Wearing a tag round his neck that read "Please look after this bear", Paddington was named after the London railway station of the same name where he was found after a boat journey from "darkest Peru", according to Bond's 1958 story "A Bear called Paddington".

Bond said the inspiration for the character came when he spotted a teddy bear in his flat, and wondered what would happen if a real bear arrived at Paddington Station like a World War Two refugee with a label around his neck.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKBN19J1J5

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:38 pm

Awww, a wonderful actor and great guy. True Blood is one of our favorite shows, he was hilarious.
True Blood’ Co-Stars Remember “One Of A Kind” Nelsan Ellis; Anna Paquin Recalls “Deeply Kind Soul”
by Greg Evans July 8, 2017 1:56pm

Nelsan Ellis, who has died of complications from heart failure at age 39, is being remembered by his True Blood co-stars as a “magnificent talent” and “one of a kind artist.”

Ellis played the flamboyant Lafayette Reynolds throughout the entire 2008-14 run of the HBO signature series, adding heart, grit and fierce gay pride to the supernatural happenings in Bon Temps, Louisiana.
http://deadline.com/2017/07/true-blood- ... 202125614/
Nelsan.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

From Michael Moore: RESISTANCE CALENDAR! A one-stop site for all anti-Trump actions EVERY DAY nationwide: http://resistancecalendar.org

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:23 am

That is sad, and very surprising.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:28 am

Sheila Michaels, the feminist who popularized the title 'Ms.' (which the NY Times began allowing in 1971) has died of leukemia in NY at age 78.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 am

Thank you, Ms. Michaels. :bighug:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:58 pm

Lani wrote:Thank you, Ms. Michaels. :bighug:
:like: :notworthy:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:58 pm

Teacher Liu has died today of cancer of the liver. He was recently kept in a prison.

Nicholas Kristoff wrote a letter to him as an OpEd for July 8 in the New York Times: Liu Xiaobo has suffered so others may be free.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/08/opin ... collection

I expect that others will post something about the death of a Nobel Peace Prize Winner. Here is a poster with a humble visitor at the Oslo Peace Prize Center:

This is a love letter to his wife:
Your love is the sunlight that leaps over high walls and penetrates the iron bars of my prison, stroking every inch of my skin, warming every cell of my body, ... and filling every minute of my time in prison with meaning.
This was the gentle man who carried a message so powerful that dictators were and are afraid.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:55 pm

From China:

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Mr. Gneiss

Post by Mr. Gneiss » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:34 am

Maryam Mirzakhani, only woman to take math's highest award, dies at 40
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/us/mirzak ... index.html
(CNN)-Maryam Mirzakhani, a Stanford University professor who became the only woman to receive the highest honor in mathematics, died Saturday after a long battle with cancer, the school said. She was 40. The Iran native thrived in the study of curved surfaces such as doughnut shapes and amoebas -- to a degree that other bright minds in the field dared not explore, her colleagues have said.

In 2014, she became the first woman to receive the Fields Medal, the highest honor in mathematics and equivalent in reputation to a Nobel Prize.
The International Mathematical Union established the award in 1936 and has presented it to at least two people every four years since 1950. All 52 recipients before Mirazkhani were men. "Maryam is gone far too soon, but her impact will live on for the thousands of women she inspired to pursue math and science," Stanford University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne said.

When she won in 2014, the IMU called Mirzakhani's accomplishments in complex geometric forms such as Riemann surfaces and moduli spaces "stunning." "Because of its complexities and inhomogeneity, moduli space has often seemed impossible to work on directly," the IMU said. "But not to Mirzakhani."

Mirzakhani got her undergraduate degree at Sharif University of Technology, then moved to the United States, where she went to work on her doctorate at Harvard University. She was an assistant professor at Princeton University before moving to Stanford.
:snippity:
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani saluted Mirzakhani in a message in Farsi, posted to Twitter. "Maryam Mirzakhani was a creative scientist and a gracious human being who lifted Iran's name in the global scientific community," Rouhani's account reads. "May she Rest In Peace."

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:53 pm

Differential Geometry, the area of math Dr. Mirzakhani was in, is an exceedingly beautiful and nuanced field in my opinion. It is the mathematics that underlies general relativity and is essentially the extension of calculus from simple Euclidean (real) space to more... complicated manifolds. Any woman (or man) with the chops to do research in this area at all is impressive. To do so at a high enough level to win a Fields medal is extraordinary. For those that don't know, not only is the Fields medal only awarded every four years (although up to four may be given), but it is only awarded for work done before the age of 40. This only reinforces what I've believed for years: the women who persevere to the PhD level in mathematics are amazing. We can only hope her example shows little girls everywhere that there is no math so hard that a woman can't do it.

I'm very sorry the world will not get to benefit from the second half of Maryam's career. We've clearly lost a great lady, even if none of us knew who she was until now, may she rest in peace.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Fortinbras

Post by Fortinbras » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:23 pm

An additional article on Maryam Mirzakhani :

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/16/us/m ... v=top-news

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 pm

George Romero, of Night of the Living Dead fame, dies at 77.

First movie that ever scared the daylights out of me. 14 years old, babysitting my brothers, watched on Creature Features with Bob Wilkins. My parents came home to every light in the house on and me, asleep on the couch, hugging a baseball bat.

"Cosmic apotheosis wears off faster than salvia." --Rick Sanchez

ElaineSoCal

Post by ElaineSoCal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Oscar winning actor Martin Landau dies at age 89.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:18 am

I'm sorry Landau is gone, he had quite a history, although I am surprised that he was still alive, the last time I saw a picture of him quite some time ago he looked like he was at death's door then.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 am

I don't know if Landau ever did a better acting turn than playing Bella Lugosi in Ed Wood.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:32 am

RoadScholar wrote:I don't know if Landau ever did a better acting turn than playing Bella Lugosi in Ed Wood.
True, I definitely have to agree there. I'd forgotten that, and that is the only part of that movie I even have any memory of.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:05 pm

I believe Landau got an Oscar for the role in "Ed Wood." I loved that movie. RIP

And RIP, George Romero. Since he had strong connections to Pittsburgh, last year the Phipps Conservatory named their blooming corpse plant after him, calling it Romero. He was here to have his photo taken with it.

Return to “Current Events”