Post by TexasFilly » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:47 pm

The pizza still sucks.

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

RoadScholar

Re: Papa John Claims Income Drop Because of NFL Kneeling

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:48 am

He’ll never get a dime from us.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

June bug

Post by June bug » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am

RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:48 am
I agree. We've never tried the pizza and never will, after his ACA comments...compounded by his NFL rant.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 am

June bug wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:47 am
RoadScholar wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:48 am
I agree. We've never tried the pizza and never will, after his ACA comments...compounded by his NFL rant.
:yeah:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:14 am

Papa John's isn't the WORST pizza I've ever eaten, but it comes in at No 2 and I simply won't eat either of them at this point, and I can honestly say I've never ever paid for either, and even at free the one isn't worth eating. From some articles I've read it sounds like he has a history of this sort of temper tantrum, not surprising I suspect.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Mr Pfister

Post by Mr Pfister » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:24 am

Nasty nasty nasty ass pizza
THAT is why sales are down John

Well that and perhaps your nasty ass politics

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:48 am

Mr Pfister wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:24 am
Nasty nasty nasty ass pizza
THAT is why sales are down John

Well that and perhaps your nasty ass politics
The first time he mouthed off was when I decided he was not getting any of my business. He's an unhappy person, typical of the angry white male. I seriously do not get what they are so pissed off about. I do understand the ones who are left behind with no skills, etc. But the ones I've worked with that have jobs and where every single upper management position is still a white male, it's not as if there is some actual change that is actually taking place in the business where these AM radio junkies actually work.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 am

Papa John's founder John Schnatter will step down as CEO next month, about two months after he publicly criticized the NFL leadership over national anthem protests by football players — comments for which the company later apologized.
So John Schnatter made the remarks, but the company apologized. I see.

TheNewSaint

Post by TheNewSaint » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 am

It seems John Schnatter has resigned from Papa John's yet again:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-papa ... SKBN1K2096
(Reuters) - Pizza chain Papa John’s International Inc (PZZA.O) said on Wednesday its founder and former chief executive, John Schnatter, resigned as chairman of the board.

The resignation comes after Forbes reported earlier in the day that Schnatter used a racial slur on a conference call.

“Papa John’s condemns racism and any insensitive language, no matter the situation or setting ... We take great pride in the diversity of the Papa John’s family, though diversity and inclusion is an area we will continue to strive to do better,” the company said in a separate statement.

Schnatter, who founded the company in 1984, resigned as chief executive in December last year, after drawing criticism for comments he made at the National Football League (NFL) leadership.

bob

Post by bob » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:45 am

I read somewhere his latest excuse was the board was "role playing" racial insensitivity: He didn't say something racist; he was demonstrating what racism looks like! :roll:

Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:22 am

TheNewSaint wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:29 am
It seems John Schnatter has resigned from Papa John's yet again:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-papa ... SKBN1K2096
(Reuters) - Pizza chain Papa John’s International Inc (PZZA.O) said on Wednesday its founder and former chief executive, John Schnatter, resigned as chairman of the board.
The stock bounced from $48.32, about half its all-time high reached just two years ago, to as high as $54.25, a gain of 12.2% at one point today. We use the term "management discount" as a colloquial way to refer to just how bad the management of a company is. The definition is the amount that a stock would rise the day after the CEO is fired by the board. For a large company, a 12% management discount is significant.

If Schnatter owned 25% of the shares, where the company has a market cap of $1.7 billion, his stake is worth $425 million. The rise in the stock means that his fellow shareholders rewarded him at least $40 million to resign from the board by bidding up the stock.

I don't think he'll be back. If he does, the stock will probably go back down by a significant amount. Fraudsters and bad managers tend to engage in distraction and in increasingly improbable blame of external forces. For Schnatter to blame NFL players' failing to salute the flag for his shitty business and falling stock price was always ludicrous, as was his earlier ranting about minimum wage increases and Obamacare.

I didn't pull charts for his stock versus the rest of the restaurant industry as a composite, but I did do a comparison with Yum Brands, parent of Pizza Hut and with Domino's. In the last two years, Papa John's is down 26.8% while Yum (Pizza Hut) is up 21.6%. Domino's is up 87% in that same time, though, at a guess, their stock was probably depressed due to screw-ups they have been fixing and they're finally getting rewarded for fixing things in the last two years (I don't follow restaurants so I don't know these stories, I'm just looking at the charts).

Schnatter is down in a period where pizza restaurants and fast food are actually seeing growth as they take customers from more expensive options such as Chili's, Applebee's and Red Lobster. So most fast food/pizza operators are doing better. It takes a bad operator to underperform like Schnatter and a special kind of stupid to think that blaming the NFL for your shitty operating skills is going to get past Wall Street.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:06 pm

Not that I think theirs is a superior pizza, but this company's founder was certainly a superior human being, especially compared to the PJ dickhole:

Little Caesars founder quietly paid Rosa Parks' rent for years

I come not to bury Little Caesars, but to praise him.

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:31 pm

Thank you for posting that DejaMoo. These days more than most simple stories of human kindness are needed to remind us that human kindness till exists. Well done Mr.Ilitch.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:20 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Not that I think theirs is a superior pizza, but this company's founder was certainly a superior human being, especially compared to the PJ dickhole:

Little Caesars founder quietly paid Rosa Parks' rent for years

I come not to bury Little Caesars, but to praise him.
Though definitely not up there with his helping of Rosa, he also did help resurrect the Dead Wings hockey club. The poor Lions fans probably don't like him because he didn't rescue the Lions from the Ford family.

North-land: of the family 10
UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:31 pm

The Papa John's chain continues to work to erase racist moron and founder John Schnatter from its current operations. Apparently, he's no longer allowed on the premises and the company is ceasing to use him in public appearances and in advertising.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/papa-joh ... 16198.html

Incidentally, this article points out that same-store sales in North America dropped 5.3% so far this year, while Pizza Hut and Domino's are seeing increases. And Pizza Hut is taking over as the official pizza sponsor of the NFL. All kinds of ouch!

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 am

He's just become an un-person as far as they are concerned. I wonder is they'll change the image logo?

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:19 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:08 am
He's just become an un-person as far as they are concerned. I wonder is they'll change the image logo?
Maybe John Schnatter has a brother Thomas who could take over the figurehead role?

Of course the name would have to be chsnged ... Uncle Tom's Pizza anyone?

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:24 am

Right after we first got married, my wife worked 2nd shift at the hospital, and I was bored being home alone all evening. So, for shits, giggles, and a little bit of extra spending cash, I got a job delivering Pizza at Papa John's (they were just starting to expand out nationally).

I did it for about 6 months until other commitments came up. (And the tips started to drop off to where it was no longer worth it)

Back then, the pizza was definitely better than Domino's.

But they still struggled. The store I worked at moved about a mile away, then closed a few years afterwards.

I had it a few years ago and noticed a definite decline in the quality of the dough. It was tough and chewy.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:00 am

Fallon, Papa John's Latest Ad Agency, Ends Relationship With The Chain
"In mid-June, Fallon was retained by Papa John's International to create work for the brand," the Publicis Groupe-owned agency said in a statement to Ad Age. "The agency was unaware of the incident with its previous agency and learned about it with the rest of the world. During our short time with Papa John's, Fallon produced limited product-focused advertising that has yet to air. The agency has decided not to pursue additional business with Papa John's."

Last week, news that Papa John's founder John Schnatter used the n-word in a May conference call resulted in his resignation as chairman of the board. The conference call, which was with its agency Laundry Service, reportedly resulted in the breakup between the marketer and its agency.
Laundry Service had been appointed the pizza chain's creative agency of record in October. Before hiring Laundry Service, Papa John's had worked with WPPs Grey. This past Friday, Papa John's founder John Schnatter accused the pizza chain's former agency of trying to extort him out of $6 million over his use of the n-word on the May call.

Fallon is just the latest agency to distance itself from the brand since the controversy emerged: Papa John's PR firm Olson Engage said it had resigned the account last week, claiming it "had significant recurring differences with their founder regarding the best way to address the controversies and restore and advance the brand's corporate reputation for the good of their workforce and franchisees." Olson Engage had only been on the account since February.

Meanwhile, shares of the No. 4 pizza chain's stock rose in late afternoon trading after the Wall Street Journal reported that Schnatter held preliminary talks with Wendy's about merging the two companies, citing people familiar with the matter.
A brand/company has to be in bad shape to have the ad agency fire it as its client, instead of the other way around.

And a merger with Wendy's? Wendy's friendly founder has got to be spinning in his grave.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 am

Franchisees? Holy cow. Could there be some lawsuits, or do franchise agreements usually cover the corporate butt? I don't know much of anything about typical franchise agreements where this kind of thing is concerned. Or if anything is "typical". Just curious about this. That would be fun to see some lawsuits! :oops: :P

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:11 am

Fuck John Schnatter. That is all.

ImageImageImage x4

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:23 am

If Papa John’s merges with Wendy’s the new pizza sub-brand will probably be Wendy’s Pizza.

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:28 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:23 am
If Papa John’s merges with Wendy’s the new pizza sub-brand will probably be Wendy’s Pizza.
and will improve the product.

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

JohnPCapitalist

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:33 am

DejaMoo wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:00 am
[url=http://adage.com/article/agency-news/fa ... sy/314265/]
Meanwhile, shares of the No. 4 pizza chain's stock rose in late afternoon trading after the Wall Street Journal reported that Schnatter held preliminary talks with Wendy's about merging the two companies, citing people familiar with the matter.
A brand/company has to be in bad shape to have the ad agency fire it as its client, instead of the other way around.

And a merger with Wendy's? Wendy's friendly founder has got to be spinning in his grave.
Note that it said "preliminary talks," which typically means that somebody's investment bankers called somebody else's investment bankers, but nothing actually happened. The WSJ got gulled into runnning a tenuous rumor to goose the lagging stock price.

I don't follow Wendy's or Papa John's, but I don't think a combination of a fast foot burger joint with a pizza joint makes sense. Two struggling chains coming together don't automatically result in "synergies" or improved performance. The merger of Applebee's and IHOP comes immediately to mind, as does Sears and K-Mart. I'm racking my brain to think of a publicly traded burger/pizza joint merger and coming up empty.

Don't point to YUM Brands (Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell) as an example showing this might work, as all 3 are non-burger joints. Burgers are different... Yeah, the YUM co-located restaurant concept results in cost savings in outlets in smaller areas (the so-called "Kentaco Hut" stores) but I don't know how much that's an overall bellwether for the industry.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:33 am

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:23 am
With the load of baggage they are carrying WHY would anyone want to buy them and take that on. Easier to jusy wait for the bankruptcy firesale and pick up the pieces WITHOUT the name and bad kharma.

Besdes, I think bankruptcy would look so nice on him. I feel sorry for the employees but he brought it on them and I don't know if they can undo it now. I personally DON'T care.

Return to “Current Events”