Sheriff Glenn Palmer - the King of Grant County?

Azastan

Re: Sheriff Glenn Palmer - Soon to Be Ex-Sheriff Palmer???

Post by Azastan » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:13 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:That has to be one of the most poorly written and proofed article I have seen in a long time. I'd be embarrassed if I were the local editor.

I think either the county or the attorney is really confused here. If I understand it correctly this was an open records suit, and the county and sheriff lost, whether they like it or not they should have to pay the newspaper's fees. The sheriff is a county officer, and whether he was acting legally or not, he caused the situation, and they are liable, although I think they should be able to come back on him for the actual expenses since he was acting illegally.
I'm glad I wasn't the only totally confused about what was happening here.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:21 pm

While I don’t know how they do it in WA, I know that the open records laws in my state are pretty straight forward as they detail specifically what can and can’t be requested, and the can’t list is pretty detailed and pretty small, everything else is fair game, and any gov’t body or officer who balks ultimately gets smacked down VERY hard by the courts, and it is usually quite expansive for them in the end since they get to pay all the costs involved, and the local newspapers and media have gotten quite adept at enforcing their rights. If I read the article correctly, the county attorney ordered Palmer to turn the material over, and he didn’t, so that to a degree should mitigate the county’s responsibility, but Palmer, as the sheriff in the sheriff’s office, is the one who ultimately caused it and he is a county officer in a county office, so that should still put the county back on the hook. Now I would suspect that if the insurance contract is written the way most of them I am familiar with are, blatantly, or even just regular, illegal acts are not covered which puts it back on the county and not them. I would suspect that ultimately the county will get to pay and then go after Palmer. He’s turning in to a mini-Arpaio.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Burn'em Down

Post by Burn'em Down » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Inquiring minds want to know if this idiot will nut up and speak to the adoring masses at the St Finicum the suicidal love fest Saturday?

Burn'em Down

Post by Burn'em Down » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:32 pm

From the twitter.

Les Zaitz Verified account
‏@LesZaitz

The Oregonian has filed a new claim against Sheriff Glenn Palmer for attorney fees - now seeks from him total of $106,000 in records case.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Burn'em Down wrote:From the twitter.

‏@LesZaitz

The Oregonian has filed a new claim against Sheriff Glenn Palmer for attorney fees - now seeks from him total of $106,000 in records case.
:happyfamily:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

vic

Post by vic » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:52 pm

Not Glen Palmer, rather, Les Zaitz. Not sure if it is ready for a separate thread.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new ... uffer_tw_m

Free press? State hits tiny paper with pricey lawsuit after it seeks public records
Les Zaitz says he’s got more pressing matters to attend to than being sued by the government.

“We’re out here trying to cover the onion harvest,” he told me by phone Friday from deep eastern Oregon. “We’ve got Easter egg rolls coming up.”

Zaitz is editor and publisher of the Malheur Enterprise, a 1,400-circulation weekly in Vale, Oregon. The town’s an old stop on the Oregon Trail up against the Idaho border. The paper is one of those little community weeklies that have been struggling all over the country, victims of tectonic shifts in tastes and business models.

Now this one’s also got $400-an-hour taxpayer-financed attorneys to reckon with.

The tiny weekly was sued this past week by a state agency. Not because the paper did anything wrong, but because it’s pursuing public records in a horrific murder case of intense interest in the town. The government wants to shield the records, and make the paper pay its court costs and any “additional relief as this court deems just and proper.” :snippity:

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:00 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Burn'em Down

Post by Burn'em Down » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:51 pm

http://www.myeasternoregon.com/2017/06/ ... -20-40000/

Palmers in a pickle trying to figure out how he can leverage the Feds to deal w this without pissing off his base of anti fed supporters.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:02 pm

Burn'em Down wrote:http://www.myeasternoregon.com/2017/06/ ... -20-40000/

Palmers in a pickle trying to figure out how he can leverage the Feds to deal w this without pissing off his base of anti fed supporters.
How to tell the difference between threatening and non-threatening groups occupying federal lands:

If they're unarmed, they're a dangerous threat.

If they're armed, they're just peaceful patriots, nothing to fear.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:11 pm

DejaMoo wrote:
Burn'em Down wrote:http://www.myeasternoregon.com/2017/06/ ... -20-40000/

How to tell the difference between threatening and non-threatening groups occupying federal lands:

If they're unarmed, they're a dangerous threat.

If they're armed, they're just peaceful patriots, nothing to fear.
:rotflmao: You'd think he of all people would know that.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:38 pm

I almost feel sorry for Palmer, almost, except he really really deserves it. Having the Rainbow Family descend on you is the modern equivalent of a plague of locusts. I'd almost rather deal with almost any outlaw motorcycle club than them. His big problem is that they ALWAYS do their get togethers on Forest Service land so he's really got no authority unless they come off of it, and they will, and he will have problems. I'm not sure the Forest Service deserves them though. They have a reputation, at least around here, for being filthy and destructive.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:I almost feel sorry for Palmer, almost, except he really really deserves it. Having the Rainbow Family descend on you is the modern equivalent of a plague of locusts. I'd almost rather deal with almost any outlaw motorcycle club than them. His big problem is that they ALWAYS do their get togethers on Forest Service land so he's really got no authority unless they come off of it, and they will, and he will have problems. I'm not sure the Forest Service deserves them though. They have a reputation, at least around here, for being filthy and destructive.
After the way he declared to the FBI, Marshal's Service and the Forest Service that he as the Shurruff would provide all the policing in HIS county, I think he deserves this. He made Grant County the perfect target for groups like this. :mrgreen:

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:I almost feel sorry for Palmer, almost, except he really really deserves it. Having the Rainbow Family descend on you is the modern equivalent of a plague of locusts. I'd almost rather deal with almost any outlaw motorcycle club than them. His big problem is that they ALWAYS do their get togethers on Forest Service land so he's really got no authority unless they come off of it, and they will, and he will have problems. I'm not sure the Forest Service deserves them though. They have a reputation, at least around here, for being filthy and destructive.
Their Wiki article says that's not always the case. It quotes Forest Service folks saying that the Rainbows pick up their trash, and when they went back a year later you could almost not tell they were there at all. On the other hand, it cites burdens on local EMT and veterinary services, as well as complaints from Native Americans about them appropriating and bastardizing some of their rituals. Among other negative issues.

I'm glad I read the entry because it uses a new word I like a lot. It said their justification for using Indian rituals is that the Rainbow people are the fulfillment of a Hopi prophesy. This was dismissed as "fakelore."

An excellent neologism, and I'm stealing it.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

boots

Post by boots » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:00 pm

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote:
Burn'em Down wrote:From the twitter.

‏@LesZaitz

:happyfamily:
I am thinking anti-SLAPP. Do they have that in Oregon?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:39 pm

If they're on Federal property they are the Forest Services problem, if they are actually in his county they are his, and it could get right expensive. Frankly, dealing with 20-40,000 people is not my idea of fun under any circumstance. I don't feel any sympathy for him though, I do the county since it may well cost them a bundle.

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:If they're on Federal property they are the Forest Services problem, if they are actually in his county they are his, and it could get right expensive. Frankly, dealing with 20-40,000 people is not my idea of fun under any circumstance. I don't feel any sympathy for him though, I do the county since it may well cost them a bundle.
Palmer's got this batch for Independence Day, and then John Day is in the path of totality for the solar eclipse.

Which crowd will be worse?

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:05 pm

I'd go with the Family as being the worst. The eclipse tourists will spend money, won't be there all that long, and most likely won't be an issue, the others, not so much.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:20 pm

I'd go with the Family as being the worst. The eclipse tourists will spend money, won't be there all that long, and most likely won't be an issue, the others, not so much.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:23 pm

Burn'em Down

Post by Burn'em Down » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:25 pm

USFS deal with them every year and will have a incident team on hand I'm sure with all kinds of LEOs and incident team support. This is nothing new for them. Unfortunately it's in Grant county so getting any support locally could be tough. Plus most USFS lands are at least concurrent jurisdiction so Palmer and his highly trained :eek2: "special" deputies will authority as well. "Special deputy" vs Rainbow participant = disaster IMHO.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:11 pm

:yeah: in spades!!! :eek2: I hope the county has really really good liability insurance.

Burn'em Down

Post by Burn'em Down » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:09 am

Palmer reportedly went to 1 meeting w the USFS and has been awol since. His special derpities are making all kinds of noises "defending" "their" forest. The hypocrisy on social media is astronomical.

Couple of articles of interest. Also "The Oath" has one.

http://www.independentsentinel.com/feds ... -arrested/

USFS has a large LEO presence and reports are they're making arrests as well. Here is their FB post from earlier:

Lots of Rainbows coming through Burns and being a general nuisance. Rumor has it they'll stay until the solar eclipse in August.

NMgirl

Post by NMgirl » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:28 am

Burn'em Down wrote:Palmer reportedly went to 1 meeting w the USFS and has been awol since. His special derpities are making all kinds of noises "defending" "their" forest. The hypocrisy on social media is astronomical.
There is a sharp difference between the Poot takeover and the Rainbow gathering which Poots can't seem to grasp. The Rainbow group is not threatening to take possession of the land forever and redistribute it among ranchers, loggers and miners, with the aid of substantial firepower to ward off the Feds. The Rainbow group is in the National Forest for a relatively short time, they make no ownership claims, and so far as I know, they don't threaten violence against the various law enforcement groups concerned.

I hold no brief for the Rainbow group; I find them selfish, disruptive, obnoxious and just as childish in their own way as the Poots. But they don't pose the same danger to area residents and LEO's as the Poots. Danger to the ecosystem of the forest is, however, another question.

Some day I'm going to make it to Burns, the MNWR, and the surrounding area. My curiosity is piqued as to why this relatively small section of the United States should be the focus of so many intrusions by such a varied lot of people.

Stern: Come back. My posts are becoming sloppy and ill-thought out.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:30 am

Just as I said, the RF are living down to their usual reputation, although I am surprised that they have only managed two felony arrests, they are slipping, usually much higher than that. As to th enot playing by the rules and trashing the place, SOP with them. They can be very expensive unwelcome guests.

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:34 am

From the link listed above:
The feds are allowing a leftist group to occupy the same Oregon preserve that constitutionalist cowboys were evicted from and arrested for taking over. One constitutionalist, a hard working cowboy and landowner, lost his life. All of the occupiers were overcharged by the prosecutor and seven were fully exonerated.

The Feds have picked sides.
WTF?

Return to “Sovereign Citizens, Private Militias, and Citizen Grand Juries”