Gavin Seim

pipistrelle

Re: Gavin Seim

Post by pipistrelle »

Photoguy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:16 pm All photographers, professional or otherwise take plenty of 'snapshots'- quick point and shoot pictures. I'd be in serious trouble if the quality of my work was based on what my cell phone delivers. So, I don't fault GS for posting up some down and dirty pictures that were done without a lot of thought behind them and certainly not unless he's claiming some great artistic efforts.

The thing is though, I can't recall seeing anything he's ever done that goes much beyond being corny. In the photography world I think he'd be considered an amateur.
That’s it. A great photographer can still take an exceptional shot with a phone. People recognize it’s better than average. But all his photos look meh, and some worse.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Suranis wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:01 pm I guess I'm weird, but what I see is the fact that the supposed point of the pic, the sexy wife, is actually not the center of the pic at all. The Actual subject of the picture is all the Lenses and other photographic equipment on the shelves as THEY are in the center of the photo. The Wife is to the side, and is not the important thing at all.
I would not be surprised if this were the case, though it would make the photo extra head-desky since he didn't bother having all those droopy lenses in focus.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:54 pm
Photoguy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:16 pm All photographers, professional or otherwise take plenty of 'snapshots'- quick point and shoot pictures. I'd be in serious trouble if the quality of my work was based on what my cell phone delivers. So, I don't fault GS for posting up some down and dirty pictures that were done without a lot of thought behind them and certainly not unless he's claiming some great artistic efforts.

The thing is though, I can't recall seeing anything he's ever done that goes much beyond being corny. In the photography world I think he'd be considered an amateur.
That’s it. A great photographer can still take an exceptional shot with a phone. People recognize it’s better than average. But all his photos look meh, and some worse.
It all starts with the eye. IMO, I am a complete amature hack on photography but some people have said they like things I have done because I had an eye for the layout/angles. I am happy to say that our current assisting priest is really good with the background for videos along with the lighting. We are both liturgists so these details are important.

Back when I was teaching choir and directing shows, I had a couple of choir students running the follow spots. They were good. Some people probably think it is just a matter of turning on the spot and making sure it hit the subject (no small feat if you get some who can't hit their mark). Not so. These guys knew how to bring up the light and fade it out in a way that just matched the flow of the scene. It was quite impressive for a couple of high school kids with limited training. I am hoping the years of teaching them music developed a sense of flow and rhythm.

Flow, timing, composition, and a great deal of self doubt along with focused attention on detail is absolutely necessary for an artist. I am not convinced Gavin has any of those traits.

North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
Photoguy

Post by Photoguy »

Northland10 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:08 pm
It all starts with the eye.

I agree. At it's most basic, photography is the translation/ interpretation of a three dimensional world into two dimensions. And an eye that is sensitive to that process is a great foundation for being a good photographer.

It's worth noting (for me anyway) that the world of photography is a wide and varied one. I exist in a pretty small sliver of that world- advertising photography. My work takes place in a studio where I interpret my client's needs into a successful photograph that accomplishes their goals. More often than not, my work is the result of an advertising agency putting a lot of thought into what the photograph should look like well before the exposure is made. I'm supplied with layouts, creative briefs, plenty of pre-production discussions and planning, all focused on what the photography needs to accomplish and essentially what it should look like before it's even made. I think I'm pretty good at it too- formerly trained, I've apprenticed under the best in the field, I have a large photography studio with a staff of 5 support people, I've won awards and more importantly I continue to be relevant to many Fortune 500 companies after decades in the business.

However, it's also worth noting that if you take me out of my environment, I'm lost. I can *make* a photograph but I can't *find* a photograph in nature to save my soul. I walk right past them, never seeing the possibilities. Where typically my day starts with a clean slate and I build my photograph step-by-step, things that already exist don't resonate with my brain. I don't shoot people, only professional models as a 'prop' to something else so I have a lot of admiration for people that do this kind of photography well...I with I could do it.

So, while I may bring certain sensibilities to my walk around 'snapshots', and maybe on some level those sensibilities drive certain choices, I'd never put them out there as being any kind of special accomplishment.

And that's where I think GS has fallen short. He's embraced the *idea* of being a photographer but doesn't have much to show for it (no surprises there considering all of his other half-assed endeavors). He's like a 9 year old thinking that maybe he'll grow up to be a superhero-it's all fantasy. To me, he's just another one of the 10's of thousands of 'photographers' that hang a shingle out on Craigslist. Just another guy with a camera, having virtually no impact on the world.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Photoguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:32 am It's worth noting (for me anyway) that the world of photography is a wide and varied one.
This is something I really wish was move visible to hobbyists just starting off. I jumped around a lot between communities when first exploring photography, and the differences in approach, techniques, and culture between the landscape, macro, product, portrait/wedding, street, model, and UV/IR communities could be pretty wild and confusing when you are just getting started and don't know any IRL people to point you in a direction. There really did not seem to be many books, resources, or even much talk on 'here is a little of everything and how they differ'.

Photoguy

Post by Photoguy »

neeneko wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:45 am
Photoguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:32 am It's worth noting (for me anyway) that the world of photography is a wide and varied one.
This is something I really wish was move visible to hobbyists just starting off. I jumped around a lot between communities when first exploring photography, and the differences in approach, techniques, and culture between the landscape, macro, product, portrait/wedding, street, model, and UV/IR communities could be pretty wild and confusing when you are just getting started and don't know any IRL people to point you in a direction. There really did not seem to be many books, resources, or even much talk on 'here is a little of everything and how they differ'.
Showing my age here and there's probably newer resources but I still, to this day, recommend the Time Life Series on Photography as a great primer. It covers a ton of different and separate aspects of the field. It was instrumental to me. I think the $80 Amazon prices are a high but maybe your local library has it, mine does. And while it's fully based in the analog film world the concepts and approaches are still applicable imo.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Photoguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:26 pm Showing my age here and there's probably newer resources but I still, to this day, recommend the Time Life Series on Photography as a great primer. It covers a ton of different and separate aspects of the field. It was instrumental to me. I think the $80 Amazon prices are a high but maybe your local library has it, mine does. And while it's fully based in the analog film world the concepts and approaches are still applicable imo.
I think the problem with the newer resources is there are just so many of them. I think what I ended up doing was picking a forum that didn't skeeve me out too much and asked there. Heh, stupidly enough, that forum was dedicated to medium format stuff, something I still have not gotten around to playing with.

80$ doesn't really seem all that bad for so much material. Plenty of into books run for 30-60 with a lot less variety in them.

Photoguy

Post by Photoguy »

neeneko wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:50 pm
Photoguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:26 pm Showing my age here and there's probably newer resources but I still, to this day, recommend the Time Life Series on Photography as a great primer. It covers a ton of different and separate aspects of the field. It was instrumental to me. I think the $80 Amazon prices are a high but maybe your local library has it, mine does. And while it's fully based in the analog film world the concepts and approaches are still applicable imo.
I think the problem with the newer resources is there are just so many of them. I think what I ended up doing was picking a forum that didn't skeeve me out too much and asked there. Heh, stupidly enough, that forum was dedicated to medium format stuff, something I still have not gotten around to playing with.

80$ doesn't really seem all that bad for so much material. Plenty of into books run for 30-60 with a lot less variety in them.
Good luck! I just hate to recommend people spend $ if it turns out they're not as advertised, and I'm admittedly biased.

I think you've hit on something...there's almost too much information on the web and it takes real effort to separate the wheat from the chaff. I taught a weekend workshop at a college in the Spring and was surprised at how many people got their photo educations from youtube and accepted it as gospel. When I suggested a different approach I got the :o looks.

Keep plugging. Happy to help if I can.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Photoguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:59 pm I think you've hit on something...there's almost too much information on the web and it takes real effort to separate the wheat from the chaff. I taught a weekend workshop at a college in the Spring and was surprised at how many people got their photo educations from youtube and accepted it as gospel. When I suggested a different approach I got the :o looks.
Which actually kinda ties back to the problem of Gavin and sovcit mythology. So much information out there, and people get really attached to whatever they encounter first or whatever hooks them with some promise that resonates, which can be really hard to counter when presenting them with actual information. One of the scary things with Gavin and photography is I can almost see the path he took since when I was first poking around I ran into a lot of stuff (including published books) that were along the 'photography is the gateway to sleeping with your models'. While I can not recall which book it was, I remember one 'educational' book I got years ago where the author was recounting drawing in amature models and only having film in the camera for the early session, thus not wasting film... and this was something they were proud of and using as a 'professional' teaching moment.

Which I guess is an example of pre-youtube chaff.
Keep plugging. Happy to help if I can.
Heh. Sadly, taking a break, just not feeling it lately. Have not even gotten around to playing with my new lens yet. Doesn't help that both my VIS and UV/IR bodies are.. how shall we say.. not always successfully taking pictures anymore?

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Gav hiring - have to be a female between 17 & 30 to apply. No mop on your head required but preferred.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

scirreeve wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:44 pm Gav hiring - have to be a female between 17 & 30 to apply. No mop on your head required but preferred.
Capture.JPG
"attractive" is not something I've ever seen as a prerequisite in a USA help wanted ad for a serving coffee position.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

Replacing the one too sick to work from COVID?

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

neonzx wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:52 pm
scirreeve wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:44 pm Gav hiring - have to be a female between 17 & 30 to apply. No mop on your head required but preferred.
Capture.JPG
"attractive" is not something I've ever seen as a prerequisite in a USA help wanted ad for a serving coffee position.
Attractive - of course Gav is going for a beauty and the beast theme for the COVID cafe

He fills one of the two and so...

boots

Post by boots »

Still no customers... :)

Azastan

Post by Azastan »

Photoguy wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:32 am
Northland10 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:08 pm
It all starts with the eye.

I agree. At it's most basic, photography is the translation/ interpretation of a three dimensional world into two dimensions. And an eye that is sensitive to that process is a great foundation for being a good photographer.

It's worth noting (for me anyway) that the world of photography is a wide and varied one. I exist in a pretty small sliver of that world- advertising photography. My work takes place in a studio where I interpret my client's needs into a successful photograph that accomplishes their goals. More often than not, my work is the result of an advertising agency putting a lot of thought into what the photograph should look like well before the exposure is made. I'm supplied with layouts, creative briefs, plenty of pre-production discussions and planning, all focused on what the photography needs to accomplish and essentially what it should look like before it's even made. I think I'm pretty good at it too- formerly trained, I've apprenticed under the best in the field, I have a large photography studio with a staff of 5 support people, I've won awards and more importantly I continue to be relevant to many Fortune 500 companies after decades in the business.

However, it's also worth noting that if you take me out of my environment, I'm lost. I can *make* a photograph but I can't *find* a photograph in nature to save my soul. I walk right past them, never seeing the possibilities. Where typically my day starts with a clean slate and I build my photograph step-by-step, things that already exist don't resonate with my brain. I don't shoot people, only professional models as a 'prop' to something else so I have a lot of admiration for people that do this kind of photography well...I with I could do it.

So, while I may bring certain sensibilities to my walk around 'snapshots', and maybe on some level those sensibilities drive certain choices, I'd never put them out there as being any kind of special accomplishment.

And that's where I think GS has fallen short. He's embraced the *idea* of being a photographer but doesn't have much to show for it (no surprises there considering all of his other half-assed endeavors). He's like a 9 year old thinking that maybe he'll grow up to be a superhero-it's all fantasy. To me, he's just another one of the 10's of thousands of 'photographers' that hang a shingle out on Craigslist. Just another guy with a camera, having virtually no impact on the world.
I just want to say thank you, this is a fabulous explanation.

AnOwlCalledSage

Post by AnOwlCalledSage »

Pretty sure that that advert is against the law in Mexico under the Ley General para la Igualdad entre Mujeres y Hombres (2006) (Amended 2015). :fingerwag:

Would be a shame if he was reported for it.

Baidn

Post by Baidn »

Capture.JPG
Reeeeally not helping his case with the whole "trying to be a front for a prostitution ring" vibe he's had going on with the skeevy photos and 0 coffee sales....

ZekeB
Location: The nuttiest congressional district of a nut job state.

Post by ZekeB »

meh. I remember there being a topless barista drive-through in Portland. Or was it a case of you give her a tip and the shows you her tips? I dunno - never been through one of those. I've never wished to pay $5 for a cup of coffee. In any case, it closed down due to lack of business. Apparently there were more who wouldn't go there because of the extra entertainment than who would.

Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.
arayder

Post by arayder »

AnOwlCalledSage wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:15 am
Pretty sure that that advert is against the law in Mexico under the Ley General para la Igualdad entre Mujeres y Hombres (2006) (Amended 2015). :fingerwag:

Would be a shame if he was reported for it.
Yeah, that would be a shame.

So Gavin never learned anything about legal and ethical hiring practices while working in his daddy's business? Or while he was growing up he never heard his daddy talk about having to tell the guy doing the hiring he couldn't hire women based on the size of their knockers?

What's the matter with these folks?

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

arayder wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:51 am So Gavin never learned anything about legal and ethical hiring practices while working in his daddy's business? Or while he was growing up he never heard his daddy talk about having to tell the guy doing the hiring he couldn't hire women based on the size of their knockers?
He seems less concerned about breasts and more about age. 17 seems an odd starting point for the range, unless that's legal adult in Mexico which I'm not going to bother to look up.

I would love it if a 50-year-old male pro barista showed up and wanted to apply and would take whatever wages they were paying so that wouldn't be an excuse not to hire him.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Also hope that 17-year-old isn't working alone until closing - seems dangerous.

And... no mention of tip potential.

jmj

Post by jmj »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:55 am
arayder wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:51 am So Gavin never learned anything about legal and ethical hiring practices while working in his daddy's business? Or while he was growing up he never heard his daddy talk about having to tell the guy doing the hiring he couldn't hire women based on the size of their knockers?
He seems less concerned about breasts and more about age. 17 seems an odd starting point for the range, unless that's legal adult in Mexico which I'm not going to bother to look up.

I would love it if a 50-year-old male pro barista showed up and wanted to apply and would take whatever wages they were paying so that wouldn't be an excuse not to hire him.
I've never seen a job description with a specific age range like this. Would these hiring restrictions even be legal in the USA? My guess is that it wouldn't.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

jmj wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:26 am
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:55 am

I've never seen a job description with a specific age range like this. Would these hiring restrictions even be legal in the USA? My guess is that it wouldn't.
No.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:55 am He seems less concerned about breasts and more about age. 17 seems an odd starting point for the range, unless that's legal adult in Mexico which I'm not going to bother to look up.
In general, 17 is the age of consent in Mexico.

scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

What a dumbass. Here is what he is talking about.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Sovereign Citizens, Private Militias, and Citizen Grand Juries”