Gavin Seim

pipistrelle

Re: Gavin Seim

Post by pipistrelle »

SLQ wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 pm
TheNewSaint wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:59 pm
poplove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:25 pm Under that picture someone commented "need to fab that kid a comb!!!!!!!!" Sondra replied "it's useless, I brush it & 30 min later it's a rats nest again."
Tty washing it, Sondra.
And if that's a girl, perhaps some barrettes to tame it?
Boys wear tails and such.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:25 pm
SLQ wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 pm

Tty washing it, Sondra.
And if that's a girl, perhaps some barrettes to tame it?
Boys wear tails and such.
Rat tails on young boys are 80s, no? I haven't seen any in forever. :confused:
Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:25 pm Boys wear tails and such.
I've worn tails a few time, but it was only to the opera.... :bag:
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss
arayder

Post by arayder »

One wonders what will happen if one day the Seim kids realize that the world is not chock full of loathsome loyalist, fasicist, boot lickers.

One wonders what will happen if they come to understand that there are families in which the children are nurtured, spouses respect each other and the girls aren't raised to be sex objects.

What happens the day they realize that God calls them to love all their neighbors, including their enemies, and not just the few who agree with their father's politics?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

arayder wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:29 am One wonders what will happen if one day the Seim kids realize that the world is not chock full of loathsome loyalist, fasicist, boot lickers.

One wonders what will happen if they come to understand that there are families in which the children are nurtured, spouses respect each other and the girls aren't raised to be sex objects.

What happens the day they realize that God calls them to love all their neighbors, including their enemies, and not just the few who agree with their father's politics?
Gavin and his brothers never realized that, nor did Cliven Bundy's children, so don't hold your breath.
arayder

Post by arayder »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 am
arayder wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:29 am One wonders what will happen if one day the Seim kids realize that the world is not chock full of loathsome loyalist, fasicist, boot lickers.

Gavin and his brothers never realized that, nor did Cliven Bundy's children, so don't hold your breath.
The Seims seem skilled at keeping their children out of society's intellectual market place. No worries in this family about one of the boys going to the state university and getting a dose of communist philosophy from a charismatic professor. The girls stay home and make babies.

Gavin's taken it to a new level by isolating his brood in Mexico, with all the purple koolaide they can drink.

The Seim's not only think they have superior abilities and thoughts, but also seem to think that those who think differently don't have anything at all to contribute. It's telling that Gavin's never been able to successfully hook up with a movement, group or organization. His brief partnership with the Bundy bunch was marked by his bickering and name calling.

And at the practical level Gavin just can't afford to have anyone around who'll tell him he shouldn't yank his kids around by their hair or dress his wife up like a whore and parade her around on the streets.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Gav printed a bunch of lens caps with his new toy. I don't have any idea about the equipment brag list - not a photographer.
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray »

scirreeve wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:15 am Gav printed a bunch of lens caps with his new toy. I don't have any idea about the equipment brag list - not a photographer.
Capture.JPG
My ex-BIL was a professional photographer. I did not (and still don't) care for him, but I can't deny his talent. He had $1000s worth of camera equipment, but if someone handed him a cheap point and shoot camera, he would still take great photographs with it.

It is not the equipment but the operator that matters.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

HeatherGray wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:50 am
scirreeve wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:15 am Gav printed a bunch of lens caps with his new toy. I don't have any idea about the equipment brag list - not a photographer.
Capture.JPG
My ex-BIL was a professional photographer. I did not (and still don't) care for him, but I can't deny his talent. He had $1000s worth of camera equipment, but if someone handed him a cheap point and shoot camera, he would still take great photographs with it.

I follow a number of photographers, none of whom talks about their gear unless someone asks. They talk about the work of planning, setting up the shot you want and waiting (e.g., for wildlife), capturing moments, telling stories, etc. One recently showed a breathtaking wildlife photo that was imperfect because it wasn't 100 percent sharp. He pointed out no one notices that because the photo is magnificent. Later if you're in nitpick mode you can pick over its being a hair out of focus but you never get past how great a moment it is.

We all know the photo of the Afghan woman on the cover of NatGeo. That could have been taken with iPhone and would be just as arresting.

Gavin is like a hunter who spends money on camo, guns, gear, etc., and then can't shoot a deer in plain sight in Virginia.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

HeatherGray wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:50 am
Capture.JPG

Same with his 3D printer. He could have gone with an entry level printer for those lense caps or whatever. He does not have the intellectual acumen needed to create 3D layouts himself. He will be stuck forever with downloading print scripts. Had he been a real true business man he would have started a 3D printing service with this device. Though the demand in his Mexican town will never bee large. Then again his abrasive personality will turn potential customers away.
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Why don't those lenses have front caps? Wouldn't that help keep the dust off of them?
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:37 am Why don't those lenses have front caps? Wouldn't that help keep the dust off of them?
That would be if he had a use for them.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

poplove wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:25 pm Under that picture someone commented "need to fab that kid a comb!!!!!!!!" Sondra replied "it's useless, I brush it & 30 min later it's a rats nest again."
Tty washing it, Sondra.
I am actually wondering if the hair was bleached? bleached hair can matt really quickly even after brushing if not well maintained, and requires a different washing regiment than regular hair.
Photoguy

Post by Photoguy »

Meso-jars and photography had a child!

These lenses aren't anything 'special'. I chuckled at the 'Legacy' name. It just means that they're old and Canon has moved on and up with the design elements. But, photography has always attracted lots of people that like to endlessly discuss details that don't really make much real difference. It's a nice distraction from actually being a photographer IMO. And a clue is when somebody describes their old Canon lenses as 'Legacy Lenses', which no one really does in the real world unless they're trying hard to impress somebody on a photography forum.

And as far as I know you can buy a rear lens cap for under $5.00 and in a lot of cases, well under.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Photoguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:42 am Meso-jars and photography had a child!

These lenses aren't anything 'special'. I chuckled at the 'Legacy' name. It just means that they're old and Canon has moved on and up with the design elements. But, photography has always attracted lots of people that like to endlessly discuss details that don't really make much real difference. It's a nice distraction from actually being a photographer IMO. And a clue is when somebody describes their old Canon lenses as 'Legacy Lenses', which no one really does in the real world unless they're trying hard to impress somebody on a photography forum.

And as far as I know you can buy a rear lens cap for under $5.00 and in a lot of cases, well under.
I _think_ what he is trying to show off is that he printed mounts that connect to the rear of the lens.. which as a cat owner who has had lenses knocked over I can almost appreciate.... but even there it is more of a 'if you collect' things solution.

I don't think i've ever actually heard the term 'legacy lens', but I also tended to find photography forums kinda insufferable. That being said, I actually really do enjoy old lenses, but as a hobbyist playing with the toys is part of the fun... which means I always tend to read Gavin as a hobbyist trying to pretend to be a photographer.
Photoguy

Post by Photoguy »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:22 am
I _think_ what he is trying to show off is that he printed mounts that connect to the rear of the lens..
Exactly...a rear lens cap. ;)

(Made on a $1,000.00 machine.)
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Photoguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:30 am Exactly...a rear lens cap. ;)

Hrm. I am trying to picture how I would fabricate such a thing without some kind of expensive tool. I guess one could modify an off the shelf cap by drilling holes and mounting it, but the plastic is usually pretty thin so not sure how well that would work. Since it is not a simple thread in most cases you couldn't just use a tap and die set. One could probably do it cheaper by making a mold and casting it in either aluminum or some kind of resin. Hrm.

Having a bit of fun pondering this one.
Photoguy

Post by Photoguy »

neeneko wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:15 pm
Photoguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:30 am Exactly...a rear lens cap. ;)

Hrm. I am trying to picture how I would fabricate such a thing without some kind of expensive tool. I guess one could modify an off the shelf cap by drilling holes and mounting it, but the plastic is usually pretty thin so not sure how well that would work. Since it is not a simple thread in most cases you couldn't just use a tap and die set. One could probably do it cheaper by making a mold and casting it in either aluminum or some kind of resin. Hrm.

Having a bit of fun pondering this one.
All of the rear lens caps in my collection are made from pretty hard plastic that would likely support all but the most heavy lenses mounted in any orientation. I think it'd be pretty easy to drill hole/insert screw/washer and attach it to a solid surface.

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Photoguy wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:46 pm All of the rear lens caps in my collection are made from pretty hard plastic that would likely support all but the most heavy lenses mounted in any orientation. I think it'd be pretty easy to drill hole/insert screw/washer and attach it to a solid surface.

Probably a 'ymmv' thing, though I also tend to distrust flat plastic sheet and how it might deform over time.

Doing a quick poke of some of my caps, I could see the canon ones probably being ok, esp on modern small/medium lenses, but even those I would be wary of on older heavier ones. My lomography caps on the other hand I would not trust to hold up the lenses they came with (which are pretty heavy AND the plastic is kinda thin).

Gavin doesn't look to have anything heavy and exotic there, so yeah, I could see off the shelf (as long as they are well made) caps with holes drilled would probably do the job.
Photoguy

Post by Photoguy »

Agreed. What he printed/made just seems like a crude, rough knock-off of what’s available at virtually any camera source for a few dollars each.
jmj

Post by jmj »

...and probably made out of inferior plastic
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

So, up until now his lenses have been sitting around without rear caps? In the photo it appears the rear caps are "permanently" mounted to the shelving, and the lenses are without front caps...
Genius.
JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist »

jmj wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:54 pm ...and probably made out of inferior plastic
Especially if he made them from PLA, which is a very common filament used in cheaper 3-D printers. It's biodegradable, which means it will deteriorate in a couple years, especially with hard use. It's used to knock out quick prototypes where you're more concerned with aesthetics or test fit rather than durability and strength. It's also good because it prints at lower temperature and is less finicky than ABS because there's less warping.

It would certainly be typical Gavin to trumpet his downloaded-and-printed PLA lenscap as better than the original.
Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

That makes perfect sense, possibly because I have watched enough things like Mythbusters to understand certain requirements of prototyping.

I now know many times more about 3d printing than I did this morning. Oh, the things you learn on TFB.
North-land: of the family 10.5

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Uninformed wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:03 pm So, up until now his lenses have been sitting around without rear caps? In the photo it appears the rear caps are "permanently" mounted to the shelving, and the lenses are without front caps...
Genius.
I think he is trying to use them as some kind of display mount. So instead of keeping the lenses in a padded grid he has them mounted inside some kind of display case. Which, again, if one is a collector rather than a photographer I can almost see, but it is a really ugly display and you can see the drooping of some of the lenses indicating that the mounts have already deformed. If it is some kind of portable setup, I would expect something to rip or come out of its slot before not too long.

Return to “Sovereign Citizens, Private Militias, and Citizen Grand Juries”