What's This Song?

MN-Skeptic

What's This Song?

Post by MN-Skeptic »

There was an intestesting story on CBS' Sunday Morning - Fine-tuning the art of piano-making with Paolo and Luca Fazioli. It's about an Italian piano maker. Anyway, my sister is fascinated by a song which plays in the background in a couple of spots and asked if I could identify it. I know I've heard the song, but I don't know its name. Could any of you help? They're talking over it, so I can't Shazam it. You hear the song very briefly when they first begin interviewing the woman at 5:42. More is played from 6:42 - 7:13.
Estiveo
Verified:

Re: What's This Song?

Post by Estiveo »

Not sure through the talking, but it sounds like part of the 3rd movement of Dvořák's New World Symphony No. 9.

ETA: it shows up in the score of lots of westerns.
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

No, I listened to the whole movement and I don't think so.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Oh well.
Image Image Image Image
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:24 pm No, I listened to the whole movement and I don't think so.
I found the equivalent video on YouTube and think this is it:

Video:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I found it!

The CBS story said that Rachel Naomi Kudo was a professional piano player. After thinking about it, I figured that she might have some YouTube videos and, if that piece in the background was a piece from her repertoire, it would probably also be a YouTube video of hers. And it is!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I love that Bach piece!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
filly

Post by filly »

What, few Bach scholars here?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

PDQ Bach, maybe.
Image Image Image Image
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

filly wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:53 pm What, few Bach scholars here?
Played Sheep May Safely Graze many on time, in orchestras and on organ. I have just a bit of knowledge of Bach, especially organ music. It's one of those things we have to know in college and any organist.

Rules for basic voice leading? Bach. Guidelines taught how to write a fugue? Bach.

How to create a musical instrument out of a bicycle? PDQ Bach.

But if we must get all scholarly like, here is an excerpt of the source of Sheep May Safely Graze (Aria Schafe können sicher weiden from the Cantata Was mir behagt, ist nur die muntre Jagd BWV 208). The source is the scholarly collected works Neue Bach-Ausgabe (New Bach Edition). I don't have time to dig around and see if the original manuscripts are available online.
sheep may safely graze NBA - sm.jpg
sheep may safely graze NBA - sm.jpg (266.3 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
101010 :towel:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:02 pm I found it!

The CBS story said that Rachel Naomi Kudo was a professional piano player. After thinking about it, I figured that she might have some YouTube videos and, if that piece in the background was a piece from her repertoire, it would probably also be a YouTube video of hers. And it is!

Interesting how she has her music on an iPad which is in the piano as they removed the music rack (I suppose to open the sound more especially in the lower strings which get covered by the music rack). I jumped around but never saw her reach up to turn pages on the iPad and I did not see any extra pedal or device to do it remotely. The piece is probably too long for the music showing on the iPad so either she has it displaying a portion where she was having some memory issues, or she has a page-turner off camera. Ah the fun of modern tech. I don't trust iPad playing too often but for her at this point, it is only a reference if needed.

Now, if we need to get back to being scholarly, well, then she should have had an instrument tuned some well-tempered method. With practicing at home on electronic instruments, I can switch to some well-tempered method such as Werckmeister and then switch to a meantone temperament for French Baroque. I once played part of a service forgetting to switch back from meantone tuning. I was sooo lucky that the music did not contain certain chords or notes or they would have been quite something to hear. I don't have time to explain or find a video explaining historical tuning methods right now.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I played my "Variations on Themes Harper Likes" for my granddaughter. She didn't recognize any of the melodies until I played them one note at a time. Of course, she hadn't heard them with chords and flourishes and dramatic intros! She has to improvise in her piano lessons so this was good for her to see and hear what improvisation is all about.

For Sloane's "Five Candle Concert", I chose to be the accompanist to Hubby singing and performing two songs - " Happy Birthday " and "You Are My Sunshine". We recorded each song separately for her. The concert was a hit! She kept showing the videos to her family. We will be going on tour soon.

Let me 'splain: Hubby performances are akin to a performance by Bugs Bunny. They are always impromptu (whereas I must practice daily to remember the notes- I am playing the melodies by ear and adding the fancy bits.). He sings each song with gusto a la German beer drinking songs. Gestures and large body movements are a must. Amanda Gorman he is not. :D
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

My favorite version of "Sheep".

northland10

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:24 am My favorite version of "Sheep".
Lovely.

Galloway, the Royal Philharmonic, and the boys from King's College. Hard to go wrong with that one.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”