GumBoocho's Gay Hatin' Bible Thread

Adrianinflorida

Re: GumBoocho's Gay Hatin' Bible Thread

Post by Adrianinflorida » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Gnarly Goat wrote:Dude, if we followed everything in Leviticus we wouldn't be allowed to do anything but sit In a dark basement.
Also known as party time in Provo

Adrianinflorida

Post by Adrianinflorida » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:A one-time drive by not worth the electrons. So I won't waste any more.
He's busy pleasuring himself to Breitbart.com, he'll back back when he's done, and feeling sufficiently shameful

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:16 pm

Adrianinflorida wrote:
Gnarly Goat wrote:Dude, if we followed everything in Leviticus we wouldn't be allowed to do anything but sit In a dark basement.
Also known as party time in Provo
"So tonite we're gonna party like it's 1599...

...Mommy, why does everybody have a bomb?"

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Azastan

Post by Azastan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Is anyone else reading our new person's name as 'Gum Boot Shoe'?

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Post by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 pm

I'm just going to let Martin sheen do the talking
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eD52OlkKfNs

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:08 am

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:I'm just going to let Martin sheen do the talking
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eD52OlkKfNs
I always loved that soliloquy. Shame no one real ever had the guts to recite it to the ones who really needed to hear it.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

magdalen77

Post by magdalen77 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:50 am

Suranis wrote:
RoadScholar wrote:The use of "know" for sex (as in "carnal knowledge") didn't come into use until roughly the time of Queen Elizabeth.
To be fair, the King James Bible (which the OP no doubt looks back on with admiration) was written after Queen Elizabeth. And, while i don't like the translation much, it would take into account terminology of the time, even though it was deliberately written in an archaic style to make it sound more solemn, hence the thee and thou shit.

Also it cant be said to have been beyond political influence. For example, the original text states in one part "you shall not allow a poisoner to live" (Meaning someone who poisons a well, which would be basically condemning hundreds of people in the desert to die) but James had it changed to "You shall not suffer a witch to live" simply because he hated witchcraft (and he had no doubt employed some poisoners in his time).

Similarly, Leviticus had a lot added to it and taken away due to the political winds before it was pretty much locked in its current form in the 3rd century BC. Arguing it was penned by Moses is very inaccurate. And for those that argue things were so backward back then we could not possibly know that, that was around the time Erastothenes of Cyrene proved the world was Spherical and measured it very accurately, so there was some sophistication around.

In any case, the Bible does not actually say much about Homosexuality directly. The fact that people have to spin other words and passages into referring to homosexuality shows that its realli not there.

Interesting titbit. The laws against homosexuality in England were Codified by either Queen Elizabeth or Victoria (I cant remember which off hand and too lazy to look it up.) But she regarded women as engaging in the practice with one another as totally impossible due to Womens purity so she refused to sign laws against it. So Lesbianism was never declared illegal in Merry Olde England, due to positive discrimination. ;)
When I was going to a born again Christian type church it was amazing to me how many people thought that the KJV of the Bible was the "original". People would look at me very skeptically when I told them that the original NT was mostly written in Koine Greek and the OT was written in Aramaic. If they accepted that, then the next argument would be that the KJV was translated much closer to the time the original texts were written. Yes, wow, 1,600 years after the NT was completed rather than 1,970. Big difference :roll: .

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:56 am

:roll: Guess they never bothered to read the KJV since it says right on the frontpage that it is a translation.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:05 am

And it wasn't even the first English translation of the Bible, which came out 100 years previous. Hell the first evil Catholic English translation had it beat by something like 40 years.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

BillTheCat

Post by BillTheCat » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:29 am

*whisper* He's not coming back. Just sayin'.

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:56 am

Last active:
Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 pm

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Suranis wrote:And it wasn't even the first English translation of the Bible, which came out 100 years previous. Hell the first evil Catholic English translation had it beat by something like 40 years.
That COE religion no doubt uses the KJV. After all it was written for them. Having attended both Roman Catholic services as well as Episcopal (you know, the sanitized made for the USA from the COE religion) services I can tell you the two are very similar. They prayers are also remarkably similar. Considering this, I wonder why so many anti-Catholic Fundies use the KJV.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:50 pm

Did this guy really come in and drop a load of :shit: and leave? :lol: Maybe he can't stand the heat in here :boxing:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

Post by Dallasite » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Last active:
Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 pm
Yeah, when I saw this thread, I thought it might be interesting, but when I opened it I saw it was a hit and run. No point adding to the clutter.

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Our comments stopped being directed to him long ago.

Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:00 pm

ZekeB wrote:Our comments stopped being directed to him long ago.
It has been an interesting thread, I have continued to follow it. There are some people with impressive knowledge of the bible in here. My comment was more just noticing that he didn't seem to have any response to any of it and I thought that was amusing. I hope people carry on, I'm enjoying and learning.

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:22 pm

If you like what the Elizabethans did with "know," you should see what they did with the word "thing."

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literature/ ... ut-nothing

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:52 pm

RVInit wrote:
ZekeB wrote:Our comments stopped being directed to him long ago.
It has been an interesting thread, I have continued to follow it. There are some people with impressive knowledge of the bible in here. My comment was more just noticing that he didn't seem to have any response to any of it and I thought that was amusing. I hope people carry on, I'm enjoying and learning.
This isn't our first 'one-hit wonder', but it's amazing to see how a thread like this develops. That's why I approved the post. Even though it is offensive and, frankly, stupid, I knew it would generate a lively discussion and, as usual, I learned some new stuff. I remain humbly grateful just to be included in this great community. :blink:

Kindly recall that I'm a 44th degree Jedi Master.

dunstvangeet

Post by dunstvangeet » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:36 pm

Let's see what the Bible has to say (even from the new testiment) on Women.

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety." (1 Timothy 2:11-14)

Or how about this passage:

"Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." (1 Corinthians 14:32-33)

So, sorry, women. But you should not speak within the church. If you have a question ask your husband. Also, get onto baby-making. After all, you will be saved through childbearing! So, those of you without children had better get on it.

I can get the Bible to pretty much hate anything that I want it to.

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:39 pm

the OT was written in Aramaic.
Actually, the OT was written almost entirely in Hebrew. Only a few chapters in Daniel are in Aramaic.

J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:47 pm

The use of "know" for sex (as in "carnal knowledge") didn't come into use until roughly the time of Queen Elizabeth.
I read Hebrew and studied the OT in the original Hebrew. The OT often uses the word yada ("know") as a euphemism for sex-- e.g., Genesis 4:1, 4:17, 4:25; I Samuel 1:19.

So the Hebrew text does clearly indicate that the men of Sodom wanted to rape the visiting angels. But what Fundies ignore is that the passage is condemning rape, not consensual homosexuality, and violence toward strangers (contrasted with Abraham's hospitality to the same angels in the previous chapter).

Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Also it cant be said to have been beyond political influence. For example, the original text states in one part "you shall not allow a poisoner to live" (Meaning someone who poisons a well, which would be basically condemning hundreds of people in the desert to die) but James had it changed to "You shall not suffer a witch to live" simply because he hated witchcraft (and he had no doubt employed some poisoners in his time).
The exact meaning of the Hebrew word machashefa is a bit obscure, but I know of no reliable translator that translates it as a "poisoner," much less someone who poisons wells. Do you have a source?

hw_wiz

Post by hw_wiz » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:19 pm

Dr. Caligari wrote:
The exact meaning of the Hebrew word machashefa is a bit obscure, but I know of no reliable translator that translates it as a "poisoner," much less someone who poisons wells. Do you have a source?
I first heard of this claim (poisoner instead of witch) in Robert A. Heinlein's book, "Job, a Comedy of Justice." I have tried a few times over the years to find another reference to this without success. Interestingly I have heard a couple other people make this same claim, but they never could remember where it came from...

Flatpointhigh
Occupation: Voice Actor, Podcaster, I hold a Ph.D in Procrastination.

Post by Flatpointhigh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Remember, KJ was a bit on the paranoid side, so, the translation necessitated alignment with his belief system

"It is wrong to say God made rich and poor; He only made male and female, and He gave them the Earth as their inheritance."- Thomas Paine, Forward to Agrarian Justice
Cancer broke me

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:58 pm

dunstvangeet wrote:Let's see what the Bible has to say (even from the new testiment) on Women.

"A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety." (1 Timothy 2:11-14)

Or how about this passage:

"Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church." (1 Corinthians 14:32-33)

So, sorry, women. But you should not speak within the church. If you have a question ask your husband. Also, get onto baby-making. After all, you will be saved through childbearing! So, those of you without children had better get on it.

I can get the Bible to pretty much hate anything that I want it to.
I promise not to speak in a church. So help me gawd. :mrgreen:

--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Return to “FEMA Camp 7½”