formatting posts

gsgs

formatting posts

Post by gsgs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:36 am

formattingI don't like to edit my posts inside the edit window here.If I do I'm in danger to lose what I edited when I follow links and then want to return.Do others have the same problem ?So I prefer to edit in my editor and then copy and pastethe whole thing into the postwindow.I also prefer short lines since it allows a betterquoting in old usenet-style , each quoted linebegins with one ">" or several of them for nested quotes.Also long lines sometimes are not readable in these forumswhen there are big images in the thread.And for long quotes I'm sometimes using a selfwrittenprogram that generates the quotes automaticallyand splits the lines so I can easily insert my own comments in my editor.I'm doing this since ~15 years and found it themost practical solution for me.

gimmeabreak

formatting posts

Post by gimmeabreak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:46 am

I've never had any issues reading "long lines" anywhere. In fact, your "style" of "writing" is quite annoying - it looks like some screwed-up attempt at verse. Usenet is not much in fashion anymore and most of us have moved on. You won't win any friends here by insisting on your unreadable style, birfing and overblown sense of self that obviously exists only in your own mind.

rosy

formatting posts

Post by rosy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:11 pm

It looks like you are trying to write haiku, and failing. Most people moved on from Usenet style a very long time ago, and many current users of the internet will have never used Usenet at all. The Fogbow is a web forum, not Usenet. If you want to stick with Usenet, you are in the wrong place.Using the quote button means there can be no misunderstanding about whether the words in your posts are your own or copied from another person. If you find pressing the quote button problematic, you can add the quote tags manually (as you will note several people have done in their replies to you). If you need help in learning to use quote tags, you can ask. It's also a wise idea to make use of the 'preview post' button (found in the full editor, not the quick reply box) so that you can check all the tags are correct.If you use plenty of white space between paragraphs, long lines should be no problem, even where there are images. As long as you insist on using disruptive, difficult to read formatting (particularly when you quote other people), you will find people will either put you on ignore - as a couple of people have already done - or they will concentrate less on your words and more on asking you to stop using the damned irritating formatting. As has already occurred here.

Sugar Magnolia

formatting posts

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:39 pm

formattingI don't like to edit my posts inside the edit window here.If I do I'm in danger to lose what I edited when I follow links and then want to return.Do others have the same problem ?No. Most of us have figured out the right click "open in new window" option that alleviates that problem. Come to think of it, my cat has probably mastered that option.

gsgs

formatting posts

Post by gsgs » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:55 pm

gimmeabreak, I'm not here just for friends. Indeed, when thereis no cooperation, I have no problem to quickly leave.But I think there is a small chance that some peoplethink the same way as I and they would contact me.------------------------------------------rosy,no problem for me. You can put me on ignore.Actually I like to filter interested people this way.as I said, I don't like to edit posts in the replywindow directly. -------------------------------------

Suranis

formatting posts

Post by Suranis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:40 pm

It looks to me like this guy is writing out his posts in some other program and then copy and pasting them here, and whatever he is using interprets a new line as a carriage return. And the program has a window that's only 7 words wide.Good thing that so far he has not written anything worth reading.Interesting factoid. I think I actually invented the convention of placing a line of white space between each paragraph on web pages. Because of my Dyslexia I found a mass of text impossible to read, so I started typing things out one day with spaces as it was easier to read. The next day other people were copying that style, and soon it had spread all over the internet. This was back in 1999 or so. I dont KNOW that I was the one to start the convention, but its certainly a possibility. I was certainly one of the first and I came up with it on my own.

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

neonzx

formatting posts

Post by neonzx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Interesting factoid. I think I actually invented the convention of placing a line of white space between each paragraph on web pages. Because of my Dyslexia I found a mass of text impossible to read, so I started typing things out one day with spaces as it was easier to read. The next day other people were copying that style, and soon it had spread all over the internet. This was back in 1999 or so. I dont KNOW that I was the one to start the convention, but its certainly a possibility. I was certainly one of the first and I came up with it on my own.Okay, I'll let you believe that. 8-) Sekrit Stuffs!
But I was double-spacing my paragraph breaks 20+ years ago on BBS systems.

Plutodog

formatting posts

Post by Plutodog » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Interesting factoid. I think I actually invented the convention of placing a line of white space between each paragraph on web pages. Because of my Dyslexia I found a mass of text impossible to read, so I started typing things out one day with spaces as it was easier to read. The next day other people were copying that style, and soon it had spread all over the internet. This was back in 1999 or so. I dont KNOW that I was the one to start the convention, but its certainly a possibility. I was certainly one of the first and I came up with it on my own.Okay, I'll let you believe that. 8-) Sekrit Stuffs!
But I was double-spacing my paragraph breaks 20+ years ago on BBS systems.
Sekrit Stuffs!
Heh...I was doing that on my typewriter 40-some years ago! :lol:

The only good Bundy is an Al Bundy.

Somerset

formatting posts

Post by Somerset » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:35 pm

gimmeabreak, I'm not here just for friends. Indeed, when thereis no cooperation, I have no problem to quickly leave.But I think there is a small chance that some peoplethink the same way as I and they would contact me.Doubtful. Highly doubtful.As for Usenet, many of us here are veterans of various newsgroups, and are very familiar with posting norms and etiquette (and would eat you for breakfast if you wanted to try and start a Usenet style flame war :twisted: ). A lot of Usenet etiquette carries over to moderated forums, such as trimming posts, quoting correctly, and lurking for a while before making an ass out of yourself, but HTML based forums offer a lot more formatting options and ways to express yourself. If you want to compose your posts in an off-line text editor, that's fine. But putting in hard line breaks is just stupid.

Reality Check

formatting posts

Post by Reality Check » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:48 pm

If you really want to write with short lines then you could use the two column format. It is explained in Foggy's [link]post,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopi ... =45&t=7271[/link] for new users.|Columns are probably one of the more underused features available. If you want to really go crazy you can use tabs.

PS: If you are trying to defend how you are posting it just looks like shit. Sorry to be so blunt but I think I already told you that at John Woodman's blog and you didn't want to listen.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

nbc

formatting posts

Post by nbc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm doing this since ~15 years and found it themost practical solution for me.Practical, perhaps but it makes your postings look sloppy and hard to read. Not that it matters

nbc

formatting posts

Post by nbc » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:03 pm

But I think there is a small chance that some people think the same way as I and they would contact me.Think the same way? Most people here do think but I am not sure why you use that verb to describe your contributions? Look if you want to engage in a discussion you should attempt to contribute something relevant. Give it a try.

BillTheCat

formatting posts

Post by BillTheCat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:11 pm

I've been on BBS's and the Internetz a long, long, long time. Nobody posts in forums or even in comment sections in that format. Nobody. I thought it was because he was posting through some weird app on a cellphone, but I stand corrected. :P

'But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'
-Lewis Carroll

Suranis

formatting posts

Post by Suranis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:30 pm

And in a format that does not make everyone's eyes bleed.You might get away with that on birth-er sites as they are generally desperate for any other believers, but not here.

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.
Chemtrails Program
Human Factors and Behavioral Sciences Division

formatting posts

Post by Dallasite » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Come onpeople, give ournew friend gsgs abreak. Just becausehe writes funny isno reason to makefun of him.

"I drank what?!?!" - Soctates, 399 BC

gsgs

formatting posts

Post by gsgs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:20 am

I'd compare it with fashionYou used to use some type of dress here over the yearsand don't like people who uses another dress thatdoesn't resemble to your temporary style.It may even be better, have additional pockets or such,you won't like it because it doesn't fit into the culture.However, this is multicultural internet !!If you want some local groups only or exclude somegroups from being members you should reallystate it on the homepage. When I read the conditions that I hadto sign when I registered, I must say that I thinkI'm more much conform with that than most other posters here.Still they put me in "fema camp 7 1/2" and restrictedmy searching and posting abilities and most othersresort to typical insulting,ridiculing

gsgs

formatting posts

Post by gsgs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:25 am

RC,people explicitely asked me to explain it,that's why I opened this thread.I must say, your way to express hereor in PMs very much differs from how you talk in yourradio shows. Are you really the same guy ?Do you think we can discuss the technical details of John Woodman's book here or can you recommendanother place where this can be done ?------------edit---------------remember, you recommended this forum to me.And I think I write the same way as I didat Woodman's blog, so what's the problem ?It can't just be the formatting. Or the polls.Is it that I'm "only" 85% sure that it's genuineat this point in time ? How much % are requiredto get out of fema ?

Estiveo

formatting posts

Post by Estiveo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:49 am

gsgs is right, everyone else is wrong. Why don't you all just submit to the wonderment that is gsgs? Pihilidelphians.

Image Image Image Image Image

Suranis

formatting posts

Post by Suranis » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 am

Mikedunford

formatting posts

Post by Mikedunford » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:00 am

Formatting:Inserting hard line breaks was a pain in the ass on usenet. It remains a pain in the ass here.

"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Whatever4

formatting posts

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:39 am

Is it that I'm "only" 85% sure that it's genuineat this point in time ? How much % are requiredto get out of fema ?How can anyone be so precise? Seems like an odd discussion.

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

gsgs

formatting posts

Post by gsgs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:43 am

I don't want to imply it's "precise". It may quickly change by 10% up or down just by thinking a bit more about it or by readingan article.But you have to (should ) pick one number just to clarifyyour thinking, to improve the communication of what you think.Euro=1.269

nbc

formatting posts

Post by nbc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:25 am

But you have to (should ) pick one number just to clarifyyour thinking, to improve the communication of what you think.Improving communication is something you should be focusing on my poor friend. Lack of reason and logic pervade your communications (sic).

Reality Check

formatting posts

Post by Reality Check » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:10 pm

RC,

people explicitely asked me to explain it,

that's why I opened this thread.

I must say, your way to express here

or in PMs very much differs from how you talk in your

radio shows. Are you really the same guy ?

...Yes, I am the same guy. What I said in my PM to gsgs in case anyone is wondering is "Pardon my language but at this point any one who still questions the authenticity of the LFBC is a fucking idiot.". I stand by that statement.

What I pointed out as others have is that the way you format your posts is completely absurd and detracts from any intelligent content you might have. There are probably at least a hundred people who post regularly on this forum who do not have an issue with the editor. I use the narrow theme on this forum and I find your posts distracting. On the wide themes it would be even more distracting. If you want to follow links that is why browsers have tabs. If you want to use an external editor then take the time to edit out the hard line breaks. If you cannot figure out how to do that then I really have no solution.

In your short career at The Fogbow you have manged to post two polls the same poll twice that is complete nonsense for god knows what reason. If you want to have an intelligent discussion about John Woodman's book or anything else I think there are plenty of us here who would be willing regardless of whether you are in "FEMA Camp 17-1/2" or anywhere else on the forum. Most of the people on TFB have been reading and interacting with Birthers for almost four years. The have almost without exception turned out to be liars, fakes, kooks, racists and conspiracy nuts. Fogbow has also had its share of "concern trolls" so you have to understand when someone pops up who has "concerns" a lot of detectors go off.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

gsgs

formatting posts

Post by gsgs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:54 pm

RC, you and many others are in violation of forum rule 4 here.You should have warned me.Do your birther guests know what you consider them to be ?So, it's formating ? OK, I can change it, but it makes posting a bit harder for me. Let's see how it works.I pointed out why I think it's superior and have not seen conclusive counterarguments. Maybe it's the browser. I use this since ~15 years and afair this is the first time that people complain.The 2nd poll made sense since 100% of votes in the 1st one were in the lowest rangeand many people required it. (wanted a zero-option) Someone explicitely asked to start it.Interacting with birthers - seems that they are not welcome here and I haven't seen any here. What is this forum for in the first place ? Do I read on the main page: "debunking the birthers".How to debunk without addressing and discussing their claims ? Chasing them away ?Maybe you or someone can tell me, why I was put into "fema camp 7 1/2". Any rules violated ?

Return to “FEMA Camp 7½”