NY-3 Special Election (Santos' seat)

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This one is going to be horse race.
https://x.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/173 ... 26075?s=20
Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: ALERT: New York’s Governor has set a date for Special Election for Congressional seat formerly held by George Santos

February 13, 2024
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Quick date. I hope it's a Dem victory. Good chance, I'd say.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

I heard that Tom Suozzi, the Democrat that formerly held the seat but gave it up to run for governor, is going to run to get his seat back. I'd say he has a pretty good chance. I've been listening to Republican chatter on the TV/radio/podcast, they think different.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Of course, they do.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I hear there's a new dark horse candidate named Anthony Devolder, who has endorsements from TFG, Barry Goldwater, Richard Nixon, Elvis, Henry Kissinger, and Rush Limbaugh. He's a Harvard-and-Columbia-educated, Peace Corps-trained Coverdell fellow and former Navy SEAL Ranger Pararescue Operator. Also, he starred in a telenovela and is Banksy.

I mean, people shouldn't count chickens before they break the eggs to make the omelette, is what I'm saying here.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Unfortunately (to my way of thinking) the Dem candidate is likely to be hand picked by the NY State Dem Party. Said candidate, who will have a long history in State or NYC Dem politics, will magically receive endorsements from all the organizations that matter in NY State. Grass-roots candidates, a handful of whom have been running and collecting money via Act Blue, will get the brush off.
raison de arizona

So they have to let him go now, right? :lol:
Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: Jan 6 defendant Phillip Grillo has filed a statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission for the US House seat previously held by ............ George Santos
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I've been getting fundraising emails for months now from Anna Kaplan. I don't know much about her though.
raison de arizona

George Santos @MrSantosNY wrote: 🚨Update on my potential sucessor.

America which ever way it goes you will get a Democrat or a Democrat in republican skin coming to Congress from NY-03.

The level of corruption is so insane that this is what they wanted… remove me the most conservative member of the NY delegation and replace me with another Dem or RINO.

Our country deserves better and you should all tell
@NassauNYGOP
chairman Joe Cairo that!
raison de arizona

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:58 pm So they have to let him go now, right? :lol:
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/stat ... 57296?s=20
Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: Jan 6 defendant Phillip Grillo has filed a statement of candidacy with the Federal Election Commission for the US House seat previously held by ............ George Santos
Womp womp.
The Intellectualist @highbrow_nobrow wrote: 🚨 Former Queens Republican Party district leader Philip Grillo, who’s running for George Santos‘ job in Congress has been found guilty for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection.
@NYDailyNews.
https://x.com/highbrow_nobrow/status/17 ... 79221?s=20
Paywall: https://www.nydailynews.com/2023/12/06/ ... an-6-riot/
raison de arizona

SuzieC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:01 pm I've been getting fundraising emails for months now from Anna Kaplan. I don't know much about her though.
Kaplan is out.
Anna M. Kaplan @AnnaMKaplan wrote: Today, I am suspending my campaign for Congress and endorsing @Tom_Suozzi in the special election for New York's 3rd.

This is certainly not the end for me. I look forward to continuing to fight for New Yorkers every single day. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

New York Democrats nominate former congressman for special election to succeed George Santos

https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/07/politics ... index.html
New York Democrats have nominated former Rep. Tom Suozzi for the special election to succeed expelled Republican Rep. George Santos.

Suozzi represented a previous version of New York 3rd Congressional District, on the north shore of Long Island, for three terms before vacating the seat to launch an ultimately unsuccessful primary challenge to New York Gov. Kathy Hochul last year.

“Tom Suozzi has a proven record of fighting for his constituents, fighting to safeguard our suburban way of life here on Long Island and Queens and always advocating for sensible solutions to the real challenges affecting every day average Americans,” Jay Jacobs and Rep. Gregory Meeks, the chairs of the Democratic Party in Nassau and Queens counties, said in a joint statement.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Decoding Fox News @DecodingFoxNews wrote: I created a short montage of the cast of Fox & Friends making excuses for why the special election in NY's 3rd district didn't work out for the Republicans. Kilmeade is correct by 2 p.m. things were fine in most places.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Suozzi will be sworn in Feb 28.

This will (temporarily) bring the House to 219 R vs 213 D. So six more Rs than Ds.

- If two R members switch and vote with the Dems: that would make the vote 217 to 215. Rs win.

- If three R members switch and vote with the Dems, that would make the vote 216 to 216. A tie. Meaning the bill/momtion in question does not pass.

- So the Rs have a 2-vote margin, meaning they can only afford to lose two votes and still win.

Yes, I have been searching to find the right language to describe this for weeks! :oldlady:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

After a week in which social media fear-mongered* that Moses would not agree to swearing in Suozzi, the deed was done yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/28/politics ... index.html
Democratic Rep. Tom Suozzi of New York was sworn into Congress on Wednesday evening after winning a special election earlier this month that captured the nation’s attention to fill the US House seat of expelled Republican Rep. George Santos.
219 R to 213 D, as of now.

* A reminder that fear-mongering is rampant everywhere, and comes in all colors.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:10 pm After a week in which social media fear-mongered* that Moses would not agree to swearing in Suozzi, the dead was done yesterday.

:snippity:
Generally being dead does mean you are indeed done... :lol:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

LOL. I'll change it, but that was the only laugh I've had today. Thanks!
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Reminds me of the Onions "Zombie Reagan" sketch.

Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”