Lawn and Garden 2022

RVInit

Lawn and Garden 2022

Post by RVInit »

I forgot to check for the gardening thread on the new Fogbow. I'm restoring my mother's butterfly garden, which fell into quite a state over the past few years with nobody taking care of it. I lived too far away and my sisters were helping Mom with the house, but not doing anything with the yard. I couldn't find a single one of her paving stones before I started. Her entire back yard was filled mostly with native shrubs, flowers, vines, and groundcovers, but the trees were put in by the developer. Thank goodness they are native. She has two longleaf pines, a live oak, laurel oak, and she put in a red maple. The leaves covered everything and choked out the groundcover, most of the flowering plants, the vines were a mess, and basically just a smattering of butterflies here and there were visiting. I found a huge amount of pipevine laying on the ground, so I build a 5 foot tall, 6 foot long fence with two by fours and pulled the pipevine off the ground and got it growing on the fencing. Now it's growing like crazy and we have lots of pipevine caterpillars and butterflies handing around our yard.

We were really short on nectar plants as most of what survived are butterfly host plants for the caterpillars. I remembered my mother had a golden dewdrop that the zebra longwings loved. I found golden dewdrop at Home Depot today and brought one home and zebra longwings are all over that thing. Took them about 3 minutes to discover it. I will post some photos later after my phone charges and as the garden progresses. I'm seeing more and more butterflies every day. Lots of Monarchs flying around, laying eggs, eventually getting more and more Monarchs. Gulf fritillaries, zebra longwings, pipevine, giant swallowtails, and others are visiting. Feeling satisfied so far.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Lawn and Garden 2022

Post by RTH10260 »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:11 pm I forgot to check for the gardening thread on the new Fogbow. :snippity:
Hint: time has moved on and there is 2023 version on this subjet ;)
RVInit

Lawn and Garden 2022

Post by RVInit »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:24 pm
RVInit wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:11 pm I forgot to check for the gardening thread on the new Fogbow. :snippity:
:eek: Thanks! I will look for it.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2022

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:08 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:24 pm
:eek: Thanks! I will look for it.
I looked for it and couldn't find it. :confuzzled:

I have these guys growing in my kitchen porch garden and have no idea what they are but they are about to bloom. They must be a gift from the birds, I'm looking forward to seeing the blooms. Anyone have an idea what these guys are?
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4529.jpeg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 252 times
IMG_4530.jpeg
IMG_4530.jpeg (40.74 KiB) Viewed 252 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Lawn and Garden 2022

Post by RTH10260 »

BUT... But.... but....... it's here:

was - Lawn and Gardening 2023 :bag:

Lawn and Garden 2023
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Lawn and Garden 2022

Post by bill_g »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:47 am

I have these guys growing in my kitchen porch garden and have no idea what they are but they are about to bloom. They must be a gift from the birds, I'm looking forward to seeing the blooms. Anyone have an idea what these guys are?

IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4530.jpeg
Purple milkweed according to Plant ID / Wiki.

It's a beneficial. Supports butterflies and other pollinators. Can be invasive if allowed. Can be an indicator of compacted soil with low organic matter. ie: a good flower bed for tall vars like daisies, but not someplace you could grow carrots.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2022

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

bill_g wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:09 am
MsDaisy 2 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:47 am

IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4530.jpeg
Purple milkweed according to Plant ID / Wiki.

It's a beneficial. Supports butterflies and other pollinators. Can be invasive if allowed. Can be an indicator of compacted soil with low organic matter. ie: a good flower bed for tall vars like daisies, but not someplace you could grow carrots.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2022

Post by AndyinPA »

Could be a different variety, but edible. We just ate at a vegan restaurant and my son had wild-picked milkweed with some sort of dumpling (also vegan), so not probably your usual dumpling, too. My son thought it was delicious, and he's not vegan.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “General Stuff”