Jeffrey's Thread

Foggy

Re: Jeffrey's Thread

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:53 am

ObjectiveDoubter wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 pm
I've been following this since the beginning but felt better leaving the comments of all kinds, to others. But having caught up on the last day or two comments, I can't keep quiet any longer and I've got to ask two questions.

First, how is Jeffrey different than any of the other pretend-not-trolls that sign up here every so often and shade their opinions, for the sole purpose of baiting us? He's not. It's not about debate at all or stimulating thought, it's about being annoying, getting under our skin, getting a rise out of us.

Second, until he moves on, why don't we all just put him on actual or mental Ignore?
It wasn't because of Jeffrey that several of our long-time posters quit this week due to personal attacks upon them and upon people they respect. Jeffrey may indeed be trolling, but he hasn't personally attacked anyone or broken any of our rules.

It's become blatantly obvious that some people simply are not going to stop personally attacking their fellow members of the forum, and anything I say about it is seed falling on a rocky soil where it finds no purchase. I'm seriously thinking about when to close up shop and move on with my life. We keep losing good people who don't attack anyone, and the flamers are still here. That's exactly what I said I would not allow, but apparently it's not in my power to prevent it.

Me: Stop attacking your fellow members of the forum.

Them: We can't, this is important!

Me: What?

Them: Someone is wrong on the Internet!

:| :roll:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:37 am

I miss Joe Ruby. I miss esseff44. I miss lyssandri. I miss mimi. I miss verbalobe and listeme. I miss gatsby and LooKit and patgund and the Butterfly lady and Piffle and magdalen77 and all the other people who have left in the past year because of the toxic environment here. People spent all week wondering where Paul Lentz is. Where do you think Paul Lentz is? Was Paul Lentz in the habit of attacking people because he disagreed with something they wrote?

I'm in a funk. More people quit yesterday. Maybe I'll take a couple weeks off, let the flamers run wild.

A final comment, about trolls. There's an answer to trolls that is simply beyond the capacity of some people, which is that you can ignore them. Jeffrey proved yesterday that people can't ignore a troll. And I mean really ignore them, which means not responding at all. I think the absolute worst thing you can say, when someone is being a troll, is "I put them on ignore". Congratulations, the troll just won. He got the attention he was seeking and made you take action.

Guess what happens if a troll posts something really offensive and nobody responds, ever? Nobody knows, because it has never happened. It's possible that could happen, maybe someday before the Sun goes red giant, but it never has happened. We're coming up on 9 years as a community, and we've never been able to do that even once. Some people put the troll on ignore and STILL RESPOND TO THE TROLL. Look up a few posts if you don't believe me.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:53 am

Foggy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:37 am
I miss Joe Ruby. I miss esseff44. I miss lyssandri. I miss mimi. I miss verbalobe and listeme. I miss gatsby and LooKit and patgund and the Butterfly lady and Piffle and magdalen77 and all the other people who have left in the past year because of the toxic environment here. People spent all week wondering where Paul Lentz is. Where do you think Paul Lentz is? Was Paul Lentz in the habit of attacking people because he disagreed with something they wrote?
Gosh, have we actually lost all those lovely people? I notice the presence of people who post, but I don't notice the absence of those who don't post. Some of them have perhaps just moved on to new pastures (L00kit, gatsby perhaps?) or are otherwise occupied with domestic, family or health issues, but have the others really gone off because they didn't like it here?

But I don't remember anybody attacking any of those, and certainly Paul Lentz wasn't attacked (except the running joke about not believing him!).

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:02 am

Some people leave because of attacks on other people. You don't have to be personally attacked to get tired of the constant attacks. I think some leave before they get attacked, as preventative medicine.

I don't know why each person on that list took off. For all I know, some of them died. But I do know people quit because of the personal attacks, and nothing I can say or do is making the slightest impression on the attackers. And I do know we lost more good people this week. :madguy:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 am

I don't recall many of these people being attacked. I miss mimi and I don't believe she was ever attacked. Well perhaps by some who tried to out her back in early days, but that's a badge of honor. I never saw mags being attacked. I think it's a matter of these people not wanting to be a part of what they were seeing.

Sometimes people move on for other reasons. I could hardly set foot in here after the election. It made me sick in an odd way. I'm now looking forward to the 2018 election. I'm here to gather information for that. I'm looking forward to 2020 when we can start making my country great again.
Ano, jsou opravdové. - Stormy Daniels

Nech mě domluvit! - Orly Taitz

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 am

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 am
I think it's a matter of these people not wanting to be a part of what they were seeing.
You don't ever want to look like the Bundy cult Facebook pages . . .

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:12 am

One of the people who left this week wasn't attacked, they just got tired of the attacks on other people. I think lots of people have left because of that.

Whatevs. I'm just in a funk. :smoking:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:15 am

pipistrelle wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:10 am
ZekeB wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:07 am
I think it's a matter of these people not wanting to be a part of what they were seeing.
You don't ever want to look like the Bundy cult Facebook pages . . .
I'm a Facebook member and I don't go to those pages because I immediately lose some of my privacy with the nutjobs. Some here know my name from Facebook. I know some names from Facebook, but in most cases I already knew their names. I refuse to click on a Facebook link when it is published in here.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 am

It's tough to ignore comments like "You liberals think everybody to the right of Michael Moore is a nazi," but I'll give it a shot.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:21 am

Some think "liberal" is a dirty name. If you feel that being called a liberal is offensive, you're not proud of the label. I'm proud to be a liberal.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:25 am

1. He said that after being attacked here for months.

2. Why is that hard to ignore? Anyone who reads here can see for themselves that it's not true. I spent many, many years on a forum where conservatives called me Faggy and insisted I was gay because I'm a liberal. If you can't ignore people like that, what do you do? Put them on ignore and then still write something unpleasant about them every time they post? Yowza!

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 am

Remember MichaelN? That twerp haunted here for months and caused little disruption, no matter how hard he tried with his "calvins case" bullshit. Why? People either laughed at him or ignored him. It is possible, ya know.

There never was the nastiness we are seeing now. I know people are stressed out, but that's why I say you need to take a break from Trump and his shit every day.

Jeffery is just a nothing compared to the trolls we used to get. He can be safely handwaved away. Everyone knows where he is coming from. And I hate to shock you, but attacking him and then others why try and lighten the atmosphere with jokes (like i did in this thread with my juice comments) only damages the forum. The forum is no longer fun, and without fun why bother? That's giving Jeffery what he wants. I have cavities from biting my tongue from the attacks on me here. If I can do it so can you.

Finally, I read something last night, the opposite of Liberalism is not conservatism, its Totalitarianism. This is Conservative Liberalism. -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_liberalism

So lay off the attacks. Laugh at him, treat with love, or ignore. Its actually not that hard.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:22 am

The Lone Ranger shot his friend Tonto, it seems,
When he found out what Kemo Sabe really means. :bag:

bob

Post by bob » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:34 am

Stick to the birther topics; they're fun ("but boring"). ;)

More seriously: There are many topics I don't read, as to avoid the nasty.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:35 am

I always knew that guy bob was a genius. :blink:

Whip

Post by Whip » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:43 am

Suranis wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 am
There never was the nastiness we are seeing now. I know people are stressed out, but that's why I say you need to take a break from Trump and his shit every day.

I will say that reading everything bad is because 'trump' is pretty tiresome. it happens in almost every single thread. I didn't realize the amazing super power he had.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:45 am

bob wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:34 am
Stick to the birther topics; they're fun ("but boring"). ;)

More seriously: There are many topics I don't read, as to avoid the nasty.
I was going to say.... the board would have shut down if we stuck to birther topics, but sometimes the topics have nothing to do with anything political. Sometimes a topic is somewhat interwoven with something political. I will agree with Bob. We have far too many topics.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am

I enjoy the wide variety of topics. That's one of the best parts of Fogbow, with such an amazing variety of interests and experiences.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:56 am

Foggy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am
I enjoy the wide variety of topics. That's one of the best parts of Fogbow, with such an amazing variety of interests and experiences.
Same here. I subscribe to and read some of them, and others I don't read. From time to time I check the Active topics to see if there is something new or a birthday. Sometimes I miss a birthday (Suranis - I'm sorry!) but try to remember to check for those.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 am

Its ok. I find my Birthday embarrassing so I don't have it set on the board. And yet on my birthday all I did was cry and draw attention to myself, as I was desperately lonely. Go figure. And ya, I, too, like that there is a lot of topics.
Learn to Swear in Latin. Profanity with class!
https://blogs.transparent.com/latin/lat ... -in-latin/

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Suranis wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 am
Its ok. I find my Birthday embarrassing so I don't have it set on the board. And yet on my birthday all I did was cry and draw attention to myself, as I was desperately lonely. Go figure. And ya, I, too, like that there is a lot of topics.
:lol: That explains why I missed it. :doh:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

kate520

Post by kate520 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:37 pm

1) Reason.com
2) BLM is alt left, too? :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
3) What’s wrong with having an alt left POV?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:03 pm

I got better. Turning me into a newt doesn't work either. :fingerwag:

Unless I get hit by a truck or sumpin', we'll be here through at least the 2020 election. I grump, therefore I am. :mrgreen:

Illegitimi non carborundum. (oh, google it) :blink:

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:32 pm

Foggy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:03 pm
I got better. Turning me into a newt doesn't work either. :fingerwag:

Unless I get hit by a truck or sumpin', we'll be here through at least the 2020 election. I grump, therefore I am. :mrgreen:
Foggy stll loves his chickies!
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

An occasional little grump about etiquette is probably a good tactic, and certainly one that makes the Fogchicks appreciate the Foglord's work. :lovestruck: :clap: :thumbs:
Foggy wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:03 pm
Illegitimi non carborundum. (oh, google it) :blink:
:thinking: Perhaps now is not the best time to criticize the grammaticality (or lack thereof) of that dog Latin... :thinking:

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:39 am

Grammaticality? Is that even a werd? You're dissin' mah Latin grammar with bad diction? :thumbs:

Yeah, my dad always said it, "Non carborundum Illegitimi." But when I told y'all to google it, I went and googled it. And Wikipedia has it t'other way around.

So who here really knows Latin grammar (with a fake Latin werd)?

Return to “FEMA Camp 7½”