Poots ain't the only one's with bad ideas

These people are weird, but we like to find out what weird people are doing and thinking. It's a hobby.
arayder

Poots ain't the only one's with bad ideas

Post by arayder »

Here's one: "The rain follows the plow"

The rain follows the plow is the conventional name for the long discredited theory of climatology popular in the American West and Australia during the late 19th century. The theory held that human agriculture makes a permanent change in climate rendering arid regions more humid and more agriculturally productive. The theory was widely promoted in the 1870s as a justification for the settlement of the American Great Plains and South Australia.

The reality is, as records of rainfall indicate, the theory was dreamed up during a brief period of increased rainfall, making the it seem logical. In the U.S. a subsequent return to normal rainfall and the misuse of land by deep plowing and the over grazing of cattle contributed to the disastrous dust bowl.

History is replete with accounts of Native Americans and old timers telling settlers they couldn't count on heavy rainfall every year.
-----------

So the question is why do large groups of people believe things that are just plain crap but makes them feel good when they say them?

"All law is contract law"

"The government is just imaginary"

"Statutes aren't law"

What is it about humans that make them believe and act upon such obvious crap?
neeneko

Re: Poots ain't the only one's with bad ideas

Post by neeneko »

arayder wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 pm What is it about humans that make them believe and act upon such obvious crap?
Same basic reason we eat so much sugar and fat : our in built feedback system developed under a completely different set of criteria than we have today and is glitching pretty badly.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I had a layman with whom I generally get along try to pitch me on an argument that the Controlled Substances Act is unconstitutional yesterday.

In the words of my generation: "Big oof." :doh:
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Believing what we're told is, I believe, a human faculty. If, growing up, we didn't believe what we were told we would not survive. We don't question the vast majority of the things we're told as small children. Learning to doubt is mighty important too, but it comes much later.

And we are, of course, pattern-lovers. The red berry is good to eat, the red marble should be good to eat too. Thinking along these lines as an adult is problematic.

I blame Glenn Beck.
arayder

Post by arayder »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:40 pm Believing what we're told is, I believe, a human faculty. If, growing up, we didn't believe what we were told we would not survive. We don't question the vast majority of the things we're told as small children. Learning to doubt is mighty important too, but it comes much later.

And we are, of course, pattern-lovers. The red berry is good to eat, the red marble should be good to eat too. Thinking along these lines as an adult is problematic.

I blame Glenn Beck.
Right. When my neighbor eats a handful of the red marbles, has to to the hospital, and I go ahead and eat a bowl of them, announcing that they taste good. . .something is wrong.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:31 pm I had a layman with whom I generally get along try to pitch me on an argument that the Controlled Substances Act is unconstitutional yesterday.
I have always wondered why that act is constitutional. I know today it is considered a no brainer, but before that set of laws they had to work around the constitutionality by requiring an unobtainable tax stamp. So it always kinda struck me as an example of 'well, we have been doing X for so long, we can just drop the pretext now'.
arayder

Post by arayder »

neeneko wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:49 am
fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:31 pm I had a layman with whom I generally get along try to pitch me on an argument that the Controlled Substances Act is unconstitutional yesterday.
I have always wondered why that act is constitutional. I know today it is considered a no brainer, but before that set of laws they had to work around the constitutionality by requiring an unobtainable tax stamp. So it always kinda struck me as an example of 'well, we have been doing X for so long, we can just drop the pretext now'.
Lawyers chime in, please. I think I read somewhere, sometime that American law is the Constitution, statues, case law and custom.

I took it to mean that the law recognizes social custom. Sometimes that's disastrous. . .like when the courts looked the other way at social custom regarding discriminatory practices against blacks, LGBTs or women.

But when it says my neighbors can't ran around the neighborhood in the altogether shouting obscenities, then it's a good thing.

Return to “Other weirdos”