X -Where Twitter goes to die.

PaulG

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by PaulG »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:40 pm
This teach-the-horse-to-sing/fly mentality is also how Trump works, as we all know. It is also why their fan clubs are heavy in the intersection.
I was thinking about that. It's a bit ironic, Trump thinks he's the clever hero, when he's really the fat sultan ordering death sentences. And who knows what will happen in a year? NADT
Dr. Ken

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gupwalla

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Gupwalla »

Quid, meet my friend Quo.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by raison de arizona »

Coincidence, I'm sure. Just like Ivanka's trademarks.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gupwalla wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:46 am Quid, meet my friend Quo.
Quid is a longtime fan. One could say he's very for quo, indeed. If only there were some pithy way to say that.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by RTH10260 »

a few days back
Banks stand to lose at least $500m if they fund Elon Musk’s Twitter takeover
Morgan Stanley and six others committed in April to raise $13bn in debt to finance the purchase – before a deterioration in credit markets

Edward Helmore
Sat 8 Oct 2022 22.14 BST

Several large US and international banks would lose $500m or more if they proceed with obligations to fund Elon Musk’s $44bn takeover of Twitter, according to a report on Saturday.

The banks, led by Morgan Stanley and six others, including Barclays and Bank of America, committed six months ago to raise $13bn in debt to finance Musk’s purchase – an agreement that does not hinge on whether they are able to sell the debt on to investors.

According to Bloomberg calculations published on Saturday, the banks’ losses would collectively amount “to $500m or more if the debt were to be sold now”.

Higher interest rates tied to efforts to bring down record inflation have led to a deterioration in the credit markets, with returns on risky junk bonds and leveraged loans surging. When the Musk-Twitter deal was financed in April, banks agreed to terms with lower yields than the market would now accept, leading to potential write-downs.

About $400m of the $500m in losses that the banks are estimated to have on the Twitter debt are in unsecured, high interest bonds, and they exclude fees the banks would typically earn on the transaction.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... r-takeover
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’ve learned, post Ian, I can live without Twitter. I can live without it post Musk as well.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Suranis »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:19 am I’ve learned, post Ian, I can live without Twitter. I can live without it post Musk as well.
Getting banned from Twitter was one of the better things that happened to me.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Foggy »

There is still brilliance on Twitter. I'll stick till there isn't.

And I hate to be the one to say this, but Musk is fucking keeping Ukraine alive with StarLink. No dispute about the incredible, enormous, critical assistance the Ukrainians have received from something that man built and provides to them.

He's an asshole. He's mercurial. He's a jerk. But he built StarLink, and without StarLink the war would be over now, with Putin in charge. It really has been that helpful.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:54 am There is still brilliance on Twitter. I'll stick till there isn't.

And I hate to be the one to say this, but Musk is fucking keeping Ukraine alive with StarLink. No dispute about the incredible, enormous, critical assistance the Ukrainians have received from something that man built and provides to them.

He's an asshole. He's mercurial. He's a jerk. But he built StarLink, and without StarLink the war would be over now, with Putin in charge. It really has been that helpful.
Yes.

And it will be available here in this part of rural Appalachia in 2023 and I might finally have some reliable internet.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:54 am There is still brilliance on Twitter. I'll stick till there isn't.

He says he may not be providing it to them much longer
raison de arizona

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:27 am He says he may not be providing it to them much longer
He’s changed his mind again. So I suppose the Ukrainians can go on living until/unless he changes it again again. Because Foggy is right, it is that important.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by pipistrelle »

All very good arguments why critical infrastructure and programs should never be in private hands. Then there's this:

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:16 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:27 am He says he may not be providing it to them much longer
He’s changed his mind again. So I suppose the Ukrainians can go on living until/unless he changes it again again. Because Foggy is right, it is that important.
Well, that's good that he'll keep providing it (at least for now) but I hope someone's working on an alternative so he can't essentially blackmail them into doing what he thinks should be done.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by RTH10260 »

SpaceX has donated about 25,000 ground terminals to Ukraine, according to an updated figure given by Musk last week. But some have complained that the company’s donation is a small portion of the actual count of Starlink terminals in use in the country, most of which are bought and paid for at market rates.

in https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... in-ukraine
From another place (other article?) the European NATO nations have deployed a considerable number of Starlink terminals. They may have told Elon to reconsider else...
neeneko

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by neeneko »

Foggy wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:54 am And I hate to be the one to say this, but Musk is fucking keeping Ukraine alive with StarLink. No dispute about the incredible, enormous, critical assistance the Ukrainians have received from something that man built and provides to them.

Makes me wonder how much Musk was involved in the deal, or if it was handled by someone with more day to day control over the company. StarLink is borderline grift, and giving a bunch of it away is good PR but poses a financial risk.
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by tek »

“What’s he gonna replace it with, AI?”
Almost certainly. Hell, Twitter doesn't "Make" anything like those damned Tesla assembly lines.. We shouldn't need any labor at all!

"What could possibly go wrong?"
raison de arizona

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Fox News reported this AM that the employees Musk plans to cut are all the censors keeping Republican posts from going through. :roll: Then they said Twitter had 7,500 employees, and that since Musk was firing 75%, that meant he was firing 4,000 people. Because math is hard.
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Volkonski »

Well, arithmetic, not even slightly serious mathematics. ;)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:35 pm Fox News reported this AM that the employees Musk plans to cut are all the censors keeping Republican posts from going through. :roll: Then they said Twitter had 7,500 employees, and that since Musk was firing 75%, that meant he was firing 4,000 people. Because math is hard.
Actually, 3/4ths of 7500 is 5625
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by Slim Cognito »

Twitter, ya had a good run.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by pipistrelle »

What are the legal risks of a free-for-all? Isn't that what Gab and Parler are-anything goes cesspools? They get away with it.
bob

Twitter v. Elon R. Musk

Post by bob »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:56 pm What are the legal risks of a free-for-all? Isn't that what Gab and Parler are-anything goes cesspools?
Fiduciary duty to the other investors not to set the product on fire.
Image ImageImage

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”