Assault on the Capitol (DC)

pipistrelle

Re: Assault on the Capitol (DC)

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:43 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:25 pm
Kendra wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:22 pm You beat me to it. I do miss Maxine's Bundy updates.
I misread at first as “Maxine Bundy’s updates” and wondered when that happened. :eek: :lol:
I think autocorrect did me in. Plus insomnia :bag:
You were correct. I was sloppy.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“Trump and Trump Jr hire lawyer to defend them in Capitol riot lawsuit”
“The Trumps have retained attorney Jesse Binnall, who has served the former president in multiple legal battles”:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 21885.html
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:05 am “Trump and Trump Jr hire lawyer to defend them in Capitol riot lawsuit”
“The Trumps have retained attorney Jesse Binnall, who has served the former president in multiple legal battles”:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 21885.html
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

They didn't see him get pwned by the judge in Nevada, I take it.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

JUST IN: In a late night Oath Keepers filing, prosecutors begin to home in on the group's leader, Stewart Rhodes, identified here only as "Person One."

"Trump better do his damn duty," Rhodes says around 2:30-3pm

Later he says this:

https://politico.com/news/2021/03/24/oa ... iot-477741
:popcorn: :shark2:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... m-internet
‘Uncharted waters.’ Judges are banning some Capitol riot suspects from the internet
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:41 am https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... m-internet
‘Uncharted waters.’ Judges are banning some Capitol riot suspects from the internet
“If it weren’t for social media, she wouldn’t even be a defendant,” said Bisignano’s attorney, Charles Peruto. “She knows that is what got her jammed in the first place.”
She's a defendant not because of social media, but because of poor judgment and choices. I'm not a defendant in the bank robbery case because there's a bank but because I was stupid enough to try to rob it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Yep.

I did find the last part of the article interesting. How do you let someone watch TV, when so many TVs also have web access. Even refrigerators.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:54 am
She's a defendant not because of social media, but because of poor judgment and choices. I'm not a defendant in the bank robbery case because there's a bank but because I was stupid enough to try to rob it.
I agree, but you have to admit that the internet has made it easier for people to be radicalized and to meet, at least virtually, others of like mind. This can lead to an echo chamber where they talk each other into doing things that they might not otherwise have done.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

noblepa wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:10 am
I agree, but you have to admit that the internet has made it easier for people to be radicalized and to meet, at least virtually, others of like mind. This can lead to an echo chamber where they talk each other into doing things that they might not otherwise have done.
[critique, not criticism]
This summarizes the gun control arguments.
Pipi's response is the classic "guns don't kill people, people do" argument.
Noble's is about gun proliferation, and is akin to the "that genie is out of the bottle already" argument.
[/shutting up now]
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:33 am
noblepa wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:10 am
[critique, not criticism]
This summarizes the gun control arguments.
Pipi's response is the classic "guns don't kill people, people do" argument.
Noble's is about gun proliferation, and is akin to the "that genie is out of the bottle already" argument.
[/shutting up now]
Nope, mine is you’re ultimately responsible for your actions. I don’t want to see insurrectionists get off because social media made them do it. They had choices, they made them, and actions have consequences.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Kate520 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:00 pm
SuzieC wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:44 pm Glad to hear it. I know it is considered mean and a no-no to make fun of looks but the more these insurrectionists can be mocked and scorned, the better, as far as I am concerned.
I think the rule is
If they’re born like that, no go
If they do it to themselves, go!

Those’re my guidelines, anyway. ;)
Mine includes: if they are born that way and have a history of insulting and mocking others for their appearance.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:04 am
Nope, mine is you’re ultimately responsible for your actions. I don’t want to see insurrectionists get off because social media made them do it. They had choices, they made them, and actions have consequences.
But isn't that 2A advocates argument as well - personal responsibility?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:37 am
Don’t know. I’m not talking about guns but insurrection. Twitter made me do it.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:53 am
bill_g wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:37 am
Don’t know. I’m not talking about guns but insurrection. Twitter made me do it.
:)
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

IMO the question of a person being responsible for their own actions and the question of a proliferation of guns in the hands of the general public mean there will be more killing are two separate questions. I don't believe Pip was making any statement about the second question. It's the 2nd amendment "people", the ones who have this strange identification with the 2nd amendment above all else that try to merge those into a single issue - if people are responsible for their own actions then it means guns aren't dangerous. I beg to differ. A society that encourages and fetishizes guns seems to have more killing by guns. People are responsible for their own actions. And fetishizing and encouraging gun ownership and worship is dangerous and leads to more gun violence.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:30 am IMO the question of a person being responsible for their own actions and the question of a proliferation of guns in the hands of the general public mean there will be more killing are two separate questions. I don't believe Pip was making any statement about the second question.
Yes, this is the Capitol assault thread, not a 2nd amendment one. I’m talking only about the defendants who are using a devil made me do it defense.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

How did guns get in this topic. I scanned the thread but I can't find anything of the insurrectionists bringing guns in. Guns are banned in D.C. -- it's not Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin or other free-for-all anything-goes states. Did I miss something?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The Texas attorney general's office is attempting to withhold all messages Republican AG Ken Paxton sent or received while in Washington for the pro-Trump rally that devolved into the Capitol riot.
Paywall, I wasn't able to read the story :/
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Kendra wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:12 pm
The Texas attorney general's office is attempting to withhold all messages Republican AG Ken Paxton sent or received while in Washington for the pro-Trump rally that devolved into the Capitol riot.
Sometimes you can go to https://news.google.com and search and find related articles. Here is one with details not behind a paywall-->

Ken Paxton refuses to release messages about attendance at pro-Trump rally before Jan. 6 insurrection
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/25 ... urrection/
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:58 pm How did guns get in this topic. I scanned the thread but I can't find anything of the insurrectionists bringing guns in. Guns are banned in D.C. -- it's not Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin or other free-for-all anything-goes states. Did I miss something?
My fault. I pointed out similarities in language within FB responses in this thread to language used by 2A advocates in general. I wasn't attempting to insert gunz or 2A into the conversation.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:58 pm How did guns get in this topic. I scanned the thread but I can't find anything of the insurrectionists bringing guns in. Guns are banned in D.C. -- it's not Texas, Oklahoma, Wisconsin or other free-for-all anything-goes states. Did I miss something?
On this side topic, I am actually a bit surprised that there were not armed people in the group. Poking around, it looks like a handful actually were charged with firearm related offenses in relation to the riot, but not a huge number.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

neonzx wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:20 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:12 pm
Sometimes you can go to https://news.google.com and search and find related articles. Here is one with details not behind a paywall-->

Ken Paxton refuses to release messages about attendance at pro-Trump rally before Jan. 6 insurrection
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/03/25 ... urrection/
Thank you :thumbsup:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

neeneko wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:35 pm
On this side topic, I am actually a bit surprised that there were not armed people in the group. Poking around, it looks like a handful actually were charged with firearm related offenses in relation to the riot, but not a huge number.
My impression is that many of the participants of this insurrection brought their toys but where too chicken to carry them around. Apparently they left them in their rooms and/or vehicles.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I think part of the insurrectionists not carrying guns was the fact that Washington D.C. prohibits folks from doing that. They didn't want to get arrested on the streets of D.C. before they could even enter the Capitol. Besides, they had bear spray, baseball bats, etc. which were very effective in assaulting police officers.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:53 pm I think part of the insurrectionists not carrying guns was the fact that Washington D.C. prohibits folks from doing that. They didn't want to get arrested on the streets of D.C. before they could even enter the Capitol. Besides, they had bear spray, baseball bats, etc. which were very effective in assaulting police officers.
That sounds like how I remember it. :oldlady:

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”