Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Luke »

Watch Henry Winkler, Glenn Close, and more SAG nominees in a Happy Days virtual table read
PEOPLE has partnered with the SAG-AFTRA Foundation to present the virtual table read on Monday at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT
By Eric Todisco March 29, 2021 at 05:51 PM EDT

PEOPLE has partnered with the SAG-AFTRA Foundation to exclusively host Monday's virtual table read of a 1975 episode of the beloved sitcom. The event will raise funds to provide emergency financial and medical assistance, disaster relief and scholarships to SAG-AFTRA artists and their families, as well as support the Foundation's free educational programming, including its children's literacy program Storyline Online.

The event features four-time SAG Award nominee Henry Winkler reprising his iconic role as "the Fonz," with other stars stepping into new roles: Glenn Close (2021 SAG Award nominee, Hillbilly Elegy) as Marion Cunningham, John Carroll Lynch (2021 SAG Award nominee, The Trial of the Chicago 7) as Howard Cunningham, and 2021 SAG Award nominees Eli Goree and Aldis Hodge (One Night in Miami...) as Richie Cunningham and Ralph Malph, respectively.

Jamie Chung (2021 SAG Award nominee in the ensemble drama category for Lovecraft Country) is taking on the role of Joanie Cunningham, while Luke Newton and Nicola Coughlan (2021 SAG Award nominee in the ensemble drama category for Bridgerton) are playing Potsie Weber and an Al's Diner waitress, respectively. The group will read the episode "The Motorcycle," where Winkler's Fonzie seeks revenge for the culprit who demolished his treasured bike.
Henry can still play it. I like Winkler's Fauci pillow :P

Sad they didn't get the original episode up Season 3, Episode 2), here's a scene some dude liked:

DailyMotion has a backwards version of S3 E1

Winkler couldn't ride a motorcycle (and was dyslexic). Funny story.

Happy Days - Fonzie's Motorcycle - Archive Interview Excerpts

Members of the cast of "Happy Days" reminisce about how Fonzie (Henry Winkler) never actually rode a motorcycle! For the complete interviews with Henry Winkler, Garry Marshall, Tom Bosley, Marion Ross, Ron Howard, and more, visit http://emmytvlegends.org

Bonus: Some motorcycle guys did a repair of Fonzie's bike! :lol:

Was on that set a few times, became friendly with Penny Marshall and her assistant Gina Jennings when I was a kid and got to go spend time there. It was incredible at Paramount, they had Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, Mork & Mindy & Bosom Buddies all next to each other (Peter Scolari tried to teach me how to juggle). It was pretty magical for a kid.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The 1954 Sherlock Holmes TV series on YouTube.

This was a show made for syndication in the US market. In all, 39 episodes were filmed. The producer was an American. Most of the cast were British. The shows were filmed in France.

Ronald Howard (son of Leslie "Ashley Wilkes" Howard) played Holmes. Inspector Lestrade was played by Archie Duncan who later played Little John in "The Adventures of Robin Hood". (Despite his thick shaggy hair as Little John, Duncan was bald.) Another future "Robin Hood" actor Alexander "Friar Tuck" Gauge appeared in one episode. Other later familiar British actors also appear including Michael Gough.

What really surprised me in one episode was the appearance of Natalie "Mrs. Thurston Howell III" Schafer as a major character in an episode. She was then a busy Hollywood and Broadway actress. How she came to appear in one episode of a show filmed in France I do not know.

I have read that major American movie actress Paulette Goddard appears in an episode that I have not yet watched.

The acting and the scripts are good. The production values are typical of early 1950s British TV shows.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I am recording my regular shows as I have been watching this trial....
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The Wall, a Walter Production
French-Canadian, dubbed in English
PBS Masterpiece on Amazon Prime

We’re enjoying this immensely so far, through 6 episodes. The Wall is a massive building, almost a city. It all supports an enormous iron ore mine almost 1000 km north of Quebec City. Apartments, a mall, police station and more, all in one. Damn, it looks cold up there.

There is, of course, a murder or two and all sorts of plots twists and subplots. Everyone has a mysterious past; it’s all tres noir.

Though the words are the same-ish, French Canadian sounds to my ear like someone speaking French with a flat, North American accent.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I went through a bit of withdrawal last night. First Wednesday night in two months without Resident Alien on SyFy. I love that quirky little show.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm sure I've mentioned Svengoolie is our Saturday Date Night, complete with soda pop, popcorn and candy. Last night he mentioned the Rondo awards for the Horror genre and that he was nominated for best host "along with several of our good friends. Please vote for your favorite, whomever it might be." I thought that was so refreshing I googled it this morning and voted for him.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:57 am I'm sure I've mentioned Svengoolie is our Saturday Date Night, complete with soda pop, popcorn and candy. Last night he mentioned the Rondo awards for the Horror genre and that he was nominated for best host "along with several of our good friends. Please vote for your favorite, whomever it might be." I thought that was so refreshing I googled it this morning and voted for him.
I’ve met Rich Koz. He’s not only very nice, but he’s tiny.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

The Detectorists on Amazon Prime. We’d seen the first two series a while back - now there’s a new one.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Exterminate All the Brutes on HBO. Hard to watch.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/exter ... r-BB1fosYZ
Weaving his own biography and personal experiences into the tale, the Haitian filmmaker has produced a hard-to-describe project, mixing detailed dramatic sequences, animation and documentary elements, with actor Josh Hartnett, somewhat distractingly, representing the face of oppression and genocide through various stages of history.

The central theme, however, focuses on a long road of racism built on the tentpoles of "Civilization. Colonization. Extermination." Peck draws on author Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" for the title, before proceeding to dissect the way history is written and spun by the survivors.

As Peck notes, the "discoverers" of America and others through the centuries characterized themselves as such, using that as cover to seize the lands of Indigenous peoples, leaving a trail of broken treaties and abuse.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

"Them" on Amazon Prime.

The series is categorized as horror, but most of it is psychological horror and drama. It's difficult to categorize and explain the series.

The show has 10 episodes. Mister and I binge watched the series. Don't binge watch the series. It's too damn disturbing. The way the series deals with racism is thought provoking. The series takes place almost entirely in the 1950s.

There are some scenes that are DAF. Those scenes, while fictional, are about events that have happened over and over again.

Steven King said the first episode was terrifying for him. The first episode sets up the intensity of racism that will be further explored.

The series is very rarely gorey. Racism is gorey, and the series explores how racism has been horrifying. But there's almost no gore.

The series is really excellent. I found the series to be extremely relevant.

The series isn't for everyone. I recommend giving the first episode a try and taking it from there.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:48 pm The Detectorists on Amazon Prime. We’d seen the first two series a while back - now there’s a new one.
We loved the first two seasons. Thanks for the info about a third season. Sometimes we just feel like an escape from the blood, gore and whack jobs (about to finish Twin Peaks). The Detectorists, with its dry humor, fills the bill nicely.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

“Mindhunter” on Netflix is really tense in the FBI machination scenes. I’m glad to be retired!

“The Croods 2” is a laugh aloud must see. My granddaughters insisted Papa and Mimi watch it with them last weekend. Kids know good sh*t when they see it.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:54 am I went through a bit of withdrawal last night. First Wednesday night in two months without Resident Alien on SyFy. I love that quirky little show.
Me too.
► Show Spoiler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If you want to escape into mindless fluff, Get Smart holds up fairly well. Sure, it's still the 60s but at least women can be spies, too. Besides, it's Mel Brooks and Buck Henry, so lots of silly fun. At least the first four seasons.

I am a bit peeved about season 5 when Smart and 99 marry and suddenly 99 is only shown washing dishes. She's still the brains of the outfit, though.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Sadly, I caught up on the final season of Infinity Train, a really well reviewed and liked show that was cut because it did not meet the direction they wanted to take the network.

The show is actually a fascinating example of adults going 'hey, kids are smart and want smart stuff', and kids loved it.. but other adults going 'no,kids are real dumb and parents do not want them consuming difficult things, we must make the line between kids and adults sharper!'.

A worthwhile show to check out though, even if the story did get cut off at a weird point.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Not Craw, Craw! :mrgreen:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

We'll have to use the Cone of Silence, Chief.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:53 am Not Craw, Craw! :mrgreen:
See, that’s why I can’t go back and watch these old shows. It makes me cringe.

Don’t get me started on M*A*S*H*. I thought it was the funniest thing on TV. Now, though... [shudder].
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

Maybenaut wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:01 am
Foggy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:53 am Not Craw, Craw! :mrgreen:
See, that’s why I can’t go back and watch these old shows. It makes me cringe.

Don’t get me started on M*A*S*H*. I thought it was the funniest thing on TV. Now, though... [shudder].
I get that there's some of that, but that earlier time also gave us a lot of transcendent racial comedy that (I am convinced) could not be produced today. I'm thinking of Blazing Saddles in particular, also the work of Mel Brooks. There is simply no way a studio would allow that movie to be made now.

As for Get Smart, I grew up watching old episodes of that show with my parents. Quite a lot of it is still relevant now.

"Shrewd, determined men who've been trying to get control of this country for a number of years. Perhaps you've heard of them."

"Oh, you mean the Republicans."
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Mare: Easttown on HBO. It looks really good after one episode. I read some rave reviews after the fact.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Coming 2 America (the new one) on Amazon Prime. It's not as good as the original, but still very funny. Eddie Murphy reprises many of the characters he played in the first, including lead singer of the band Sexual Chocolate :lol:
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

For people who like psychological thrillers, may I suggest a Chinese drama called “Love me if you dare.” https://mydramalist.com/13857-love-me-if-you-dare (Subtitles in English) It’s a 24 episode serial, made in 2015.

It’s definitely not my usual fare. The drama stars 2 of my favorite actors (Wallace Huo and Sandra Ma), so I decided to give it a try. Wow. I may never sleep again.

Couple of technical quirks: half takes place in America, half in Mainland China and Hong Kong. Pelican Bay State Prison (in CA) is a pleasant drive from NYC. To avoid the awkwardness of translators having to be in all the scenes, and to avoid badly dubbed American accents on Chinese actors, the Chinese characters speak Chinese and the Non-Chinese actors speak English. Which just seems weird, like everyone has a babelfish.

OTOH, if doctor and/or cop shows are your thing, I super-highly recommend “You Are My Hero”. Sandra Ma is a resident neurosurgeon and Bai Jing Ting is a SWAT captain. https://mydramalist.com/49877-love-to-be-loved-by-you

I give it a 10. It’s 40 episodes with plenty of cop/doc action including a major earthquake, hostage situations, emergency surgeries, and plenty hours training and doing rounds. I love all the logistics involved. The romance is pretty realistic in that a resident surgeon and a SWAT officer probably have very few spare hours.

In my new “binging of Chinese serials” hobby I’ve watched 50 (!!!). “You are my Hero” is in my top 3. Only a couple hundred more to go!
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Star Trek: Discovery series on Amazon Prime with the Paramount add-on channel (trial -- already canceled but I'm good through the month subscription)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

neonzx wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:23 am Star Trek: Discovery series on Amazon Prime with the Paramount add-on channel (trial -- already canceled but I'm good through the month subscription)
My Daughter, SIL and I are working on the 1st Season but with many interruptions especially "EastEnders" which they watch with Mrs. V.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:45 am
neonzx wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:23 am Star Trek: Discovery series on Amazon Prime with the Paramount add-on channel (trial -- already canceled but I'm good through the month subscription)
My Daughter, SIL and I are working on the 1st Season but with many interruptions especially "EastEnders" which they watch with Mrs. V.
There's over 6,651 episodes of Eastenders! :shock:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”