Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Re: What are you watching?

Post by LM K »

I tried The Great on Hulu. It's about Catherine the Great. It is horrible. I made it through 1.5 episodes.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Two big thumbs up on "I Care a Lot."

:twisted:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

covfefe wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:59 am I watched an episode and a half of Murder Among the Mormons last night, that was pretty riveting. They use a lot of old 80s footage interspersed with current interviews to tell the story, it works well.
We saw the first episode, liked it a lot.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

pjhimself wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:17 am On Peackock.com I found “Suits” and am enjoying it. Legal machinations, characters and some nonsense. Fun.

Free to start but they want you to be a paying subscriber. Me, not yet. Plenty free to choose from.
Bro, I LOVED the Suits series (watched it when it was current -- you was still flying back then). (No Tivo?)
Enjoy it.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:10 am -- you was still flying back then). (No Tivo?)
Please take note that pjhimself is NOT GreatGrey. I have politely requested him to select a different avatar. I knew that was going to cause confusion.
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

covfefe wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:59 am I watched an episode and a half of Murder Among the Mormons last night, that was pretty riveting. They use a lot of old 80s footage interspersed with current interviews to tell the story, it works well.
Being true crime fans, we burned through all three episodes last night. It proves once again that crime is independent from religion, and even brilliant criminals get tripped up by their stupid mistakes.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

If you're watching the Oscars, here's your complete list:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2021/m ... ominations
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Resident Alien on Syfy Channel

I classify this show as a Cowboy Pizza - a little bit of everything. Murder Mystery, science fiction, comedy. Space alien becomes marooned on Earth, and has difficulty fitting in.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Netflix: Marvel Luke Cage
It's actually pretty decent because it's not so much super hero stuff (which I gave up on) and it's drama and story. I'm into season #2.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:56 am Netflix: Marvel Luke Cage
It's actually pretty decent because it's not so much super hero stuff (which I gave up on) and it's drama and story. I'm into season #2.
If you liked Luke Cage, you should watch the companion show Jessica Jones as well.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Binged "For All Mankind" last few days. It's an alternative history based on the premise that the Soviets reached the moon first. I am an old Harry Turtledove fan so I really enjoyed it. Worth a watch if you have TV+.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I mostly watch the news, which is not good for me. :cantlook: So I also turn on junk tv, like the various competitions and TLC dysfunctional families. So tonight I checked out the recap of American Idol to see what's happening with Claudia. Well, she looks good. Not quite as anxious was she was. She's now a brunette and has kinda toned down her outfits. And she sang very well. In to the next round. Oh, and her living corpse mom (yeah mean of me, but she does look that way) was in the audience to cheer her.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bob

Post by bob »

On a one-month free membership for CBS All Access Paramount Plus, to catch the Star Treks (Discovery's third season and Lower Decks' first). Lower Decks is mostly fan service, but cute nonetheless.

Also on Paramount, I started watching the Real World Homecoming, which is a reunion of the original 1992 NYC cast (but now everyone is in their 40s and 50s). There is a little too much navel-gazing, but fans of the original will enjoy seeing how they have changed (and also have not changed).
Image ImageImage
filly

Post by filly »

I watched the entire Stanley Tucci Searching for Italy series on CNN. I was sad that it ended last night. The cinematography was gorgeous. Taking an entire episode on the various regions of Italy gives the viewer a clear understanding of how these nation states evolved and how they differ dramatically from each other. And, of course, the food! A good sprinkling of social commentary too.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We watched the Miniaturist on PBS/Amazon Prime. It’s a 3 episode mini-series, sadly. I would have watched 10 seasons.

A young woman arrives at her new husband’s house for their arranged marriage. He is not home but his bitch of a sister is and makes her unwelcome. Drama ensues.

Set in Amsterdam in 1697, it is a sumptuous feast for the eyes. The costumes are amazing. The lead actress is stunningly beautiful. It’s filmed in the style of the Old Masters, with long shots through several dark doorways, for eg, and women looking back over the shoulder at the camera through those same doorways. The set decoration was stunning.

I won’t say anything about the plot except that it was unexpected. It’s based
on a novel. It feels like there should be much more - the characters were just starting to be fleshed out, we were getting the feel of the society; the story could continue in a number of directions.

Funny thing-we watched the first two episodes, then took the dog for a stroll at 9 and settled in to watch the third installment. We couldn’t find it on PBS Masterpiece where we’d watched the first two. Flummoxed, I checked der google.

PBS’s syndication license expired on 3/21/21! That’s 9 pm here, midnight in NYC. Amazon Prime now has it and where we finished watching. That’s never happened to me before. I wonder, would it have just quit in the middle of an episode if one were watching? I’ll never know...
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I started watching The Gloaming on Starz last night. Moody murder mystery set in Tasmania. Also, a touch of supernatural. Eight episodes. I think I'm going to like it, but I have to pay more attention than I usually like.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

We watched Wander (Amazon Video, rent .99.) Funny, weird, unsettling, with familiar faces. Entertaining. Set in New Mexico.
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Post by fierceredpanda »

I'm WFH today, and I need something in the background while I pour over documents, so I decided to buckle up and watch HBO's Q: Into the Storm. Wish me luck!
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:13 pm I'm WFH today, and I need something in the background while I pour over documents, so I decided to buckle up and watch HBO's Q: Into the Storm. Wish me luck!
You’re drinking over your documents???
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

fierceredpanda wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:13 pm I'm WFH today, and I need something in the background while I pour over documents, so I decided to buckle up and watch HBO's Q: Into the Storm. Wish me luck!
*pore*
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:56 pm
*pore*
I preferred my theory. :twisted:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:05 am
neonzx wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:56 am Netflix: Marvel Luke Cage
If you liked Luke Cage, you should watch the companion show Jessica Jones as well.
Thanks. :thumbsup: Watching it now.
Lani

Post by Lani »

ISU World Figure Skating Championship 2021! Watching on TV and online at NBCSN. A lot of skaters have clearly suffered from a lack of training and of regional competitions leading up to the biggie.

Russians are dominating, Chinese 2nd, and a sprinkling of other countries. US just won 2nd & 3rd for ice dancing. US came in 4th for ladies. Tomorrow, 8am HI Time, Nathan Chen will try to win the men's competition. He's currently 3rd, due a fall in the short program.

The only audience consists of judges, coaches, and crew. Very quiet and weird.

The next winter Olympics will be Feb 4-20, 2022.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

Lani wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:19 am ISU World Figure Skating Championship 2021! Watching on TV and online at NBCSN. A lot of skaters have clearly suffered from a lack of training and of regional competitions leading up to the biggie.

Russians are dominating, Chinese 2nd, and a sprinkling of other countries. US just won 2nd & 3rd for ice dancing. US came in 4th for ladies. Tomorrow, 8am HI Time, Nathan Chen will try to win the men's competition. He's currently 3rd, due a fall in the short program.

The only audience consists of judges, coaches, and crew. Very quiet and weird.

The next winter Olympics will be Feb 4-20, 2022.
I recorded everything on NBCSN - am currently watching the rhythm dance. I am loving the amount of coverage! I don't know what will happen when NBCSN is shuttered.

One comment on the men's competition - the component scoring for Jason Brown is disgraceful. His component score was below both Hanyu and Chen, which is a joke.
bob

Post by bob »

bob wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:04 pmAlso on Paramount, I started watching the Real World Homecoming, which is a reunion of the original 1992 NYC cast (but now everyone is in their 40s and 50s). There is a little too much navel-gazing, but fans of the original will enjoy seeing how they have changed (and also have not changed).
I need to amend this. I won't spoil it, but there's a "dramatic" turn that made the new show a lot less enjoyable.
Image ImageImage

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”