Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Volkonski »

We and our daughter finished "The Dig" last night. Then we checked out YouTube to get some background on the actual Sutton Hoo dig. Biggest movie change was to Mrs. Pretty. In real life she was older than Mr. Brown but really did have a young son then because she gave birth when she was 47.

Bit of a surprise when the closing credits came on. We had not recognized actress Lily James who plays Peggy (Cecily Margaret Preston Guido, FSA) even though we know her from "Downton Abby" and "War and Peace".

John Preston. who wrote the novel "The Dig" upon which the movie is based, is Peggy's nephew.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

LM K wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:19 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm Most recent good watch was The Dig on Netflix. Someone recommended I Care a Lot, and that's next on my list. I also want to watch Nomadland, but I have to sign up for Hulu first.
I Care a Lot is one of the funniest movies I've watched in ages. It's similar to a Coen brothers movie. I can't recommend it highly enough.
I agree. I Care a Lot could have easily been a Coen Bros production.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:09 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm Most recent good watch was The Dig on Netflix. Someone recommended I Care a Lot, and that's next on my list. I also want to watch Nomadland, but I have to sign up for Hulu first.
I Care a Lot is one of the funniest movies I've watched in ages. It's similar to a Coen brothers movie. I can't recommend it highly enough.
I am hoping something changes in "I Care A Lot" because so far it is so upsetting I'm not sure I can hang with it.
It does ring of a foreboding insight into a possible reality of the industry. Is it an expose, or just fiction? Hmmm ...
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I'm working through "Good Girls" on Netflix. Think of it as Breaking Bad for Women. Three middle aged women facing imposing debt turn to crime to make the fast cash only to get entangled with the existing criminal element who like their style, and want them do more. Three seasons available.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:26 am Criminal Minds has me hooked. I have copies of the FBI Standards for profiling. I've read Roessler, Douglas, Hazelwood and other profilers' books. This is a well-written tense drama that shows profiling in each episode, HOWEVER, it takes tremendous dramatic license by solving the case in each episode. The crime enactment scenes can be anxiety producing even for me.
Loved it but I gather it ate Mandy Patinkin alive.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I've been binging Atun-Shei and The Cynical Historian on YouTube. Both hammer on the "Lost Cause" from completely separate directions.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

We've been struggling through The Flight Attendant. It's billed as a dark comedy thriller. I'm thoroughly confused and it's not funny. We keep hoping THIS episode will explain it. It's kind of like Lost but with tiny bottles of liquor.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:13 am
Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:09 pm

I am hoping something changes in "I Care A Lot" because so far it is so upsetting I'm not sure I can hang with it.
It does ring of a foreboding insight into a possible reality of the industry. Is it an expose, or just fiction? Hmmm ...
An article from 3 years ago in The New Yorker - How the Elderly Lose Their Rights
raicha

Post by raicha »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:39 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:26 am Criminal Minds has me hooked. I have copies of the FBI Standards for profiling. I've read Roessler, Douglas, Hazelwood and other profilers' books. This is a well-written tense drama that shows profiling in each episode, HOWEVER, it takes tremendous dramatic license by solving the case in each episode. The crime enactment scenes can be anxiety producing even for me.
Loved it but I gather it ate Mandy Patinkin alive.
Thomas Gibson went out in a blaze of fury too. I watch this a lot, but it is very dark.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hi, raicha!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

"Silent Witness" on Britbox. This show will appeal to fans of "Quincy" and "Bones". Lead character is an idealistic woman forensic pathologist in England. Lots of autopsies. Clashes with less idealistic police officers. Family problems. The usual. ;)

There are 23 eight episode series (four two episode stories per series) so will be watching this for a while.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Is anyone watching "Servant" on Apple+? It might be the weirdest and most bizarre tv show in history. But I can't stop watching!!
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Just watched Nomadland & The United States Versus Billie Holiday.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Cobra Kai series (Netflix) (Karate Kid)

It's actually written/executed pretty well and if you liked the Karate Kid movies back in the day, this series works. *thumbs up*
HST's Ghost

Post by HST's Ghost »

Rewatched the Sopranos with my wife who had never seen it. Such a joy. By coincidance, Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa are doing a vid/podcast rewatching the series and interviewing all the cast and writers, directors, etc. It is an excellent companion.
Talking Sopranos on YT

Did I already recommend Ramy? Great show. On Hulu
"The dumber than dirt American we screwed to to floor"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

The missus and I are hooked on the old (1959ish) "Peter Gunn" on Prime.

Music, simplistic scripts, jazz, predictable punch ups, Lola Albright singing, always night time, Henry Mancini music, good old fashioned fun, did I mention that the music is great, Chryslers with giant fins.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

keith wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:14 pm The missus and I are hooked on the old (1959ish) "Peter Gunn" on Prime.

Music, simplistic scripts, jazz, predictable punch ups, Lola Albright singing, always night time, Henry Mancini music, good old fashioned fun, did I mention that the music is great, Chryslers with giant fins.
I love the music. Back in high school, we had a marching band routine we did to the the Peter Gunn Theme during a half time football performance. I still remember a few of the steps.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

So I get led to this... "Iron Fist" (Punho de Ferro)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3322310/

Kinda funny because I share my Brazilian (in the USA) friends Netflix. and it's in Portuguese by default. :lol:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I'm working my way through American Gods on Stars.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Guilty pleasure reality show I watched recently was Skinwalker Ranch on Hulu, that was fun. I watched an episode and a half of Murder Among the Mormons last night, that was pretty riveting. They use a lot of old 80s footage interspersed with current interviews to tell the story, it works well.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Apologies if I mentioned this in the previous thread, but we're working our way through Get Smart. So many 60s shows are unwatchable (I Dream of Jeannie) but GS holds up fairly well, plus I enjoy 99's mod outfits, which don't kick in until the third season. Sure, it's still the 60s but I'm willing to forgive Mel Brooks almost anything.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pjhimself

Post by pjhimself »

On Peackock.com I found “Suits” and am enjoying it. Legal machinations, characters and some nonsense. Fun.

Free to start but they want you to be a paying subscriber. Me, not yet. Plenty free to choose from.

There are also TV reruns and movies to choose from; YouTube is another such source.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

SiFy has a new series called Resident Alien. It's delightfully funny and quirky.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

LM K wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:13 pm SiFy has a new series called Resident Alien. It's delightfully funny and quirky.
I LOVE it! :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
duck dodgers

Post by duck dodgers »

Watching Killing Eve on Hulu. Pretty good.
Also, Succession on HBO. Acting is good. Still wavering on plot.
Tried Harlots on Hulu. Meh.
"You can syndicate any boat you row"

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”