Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

What are you watching?

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

What are you watching?

Post by neonzx »

Hat-tip to Sterngard for his recommend of Netflix's "Lupin" -- just finished it.
It's only 6 episodes for the first season and the primary plot line is not resolved (and ends with a scary cliff-hanger).
I would suggest you watch it in the audio of your first language because it rolls with many flashbacks as the story unfolds and you need to pay attention to the visuals, not subtitles.
Patagoniagirl

Re: What are you watching?

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I love my Pluto TV. The sub-section "Home & DIY" has Americans Test Kitchen, This Old House, Ask This Old House, Anthony Bourdain, and various British cooking shows. I skip around on the news sub-section and catch Doc Martin under Entertainment.

I don't have a TV and have adjusted just fine and dandy watching on my cell. Mostly though, I listen to NPR in Michigan Radio.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Home Renovision on Youtube. It’s all DIY. Jeff Thorman is a renovation contractor from Ottawa. He shows you how to do stuff right and has lots of really good tips.

He also has live chats where people text in questions. Those are long and boring.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Most recent good watch was The Dig on Netflix. Someone recommended I Care a Lot, and that's next on my list. I also want to watch Nomadland, but I have to sign up for Hulu first.

I'm looking at streaming so that we can dump Verizon, but I think I need a new TV first. Mine is a 15-year-old Sony that refuses to die, although hubbie has a much newer one in the den. We did have a vertical red line on the screen last week, so maybe this one is thinking of dying.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The Investigation
HBO Max
Subtitles

Six episode limited series from Denmark about a real-life crime- a journalist is invited aboard a millionaire’s home-made submarine. Her boyfriend reports her missing and a lengthy, complicated investigation ensues.

It’s moody and atmospheric, as much about how all these people came together to help figure it out as it is about the crime itself.

Four episodes have dropped. Tuesday is drop day.

I’m enjoying it immensely.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

One problem with losing old posts is that I had planned on returning to some of those posts to get ideas on what to watch. Darn.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:33 pm One problem with losing old posts is that I had planned on returning to some of those posts to get ideas on what to watch. Darn.
Another problem is, we may never hear the end of the slarti saga.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

We've been watching the old/new Doctor Who. We're up to my fav, the Eleventh Doctor. Last night we watched one of my favorite episodes, The Lodger, where the Doctor rents a room from a delightful fellow I wished would have become a companion.

I didn't realize until last night that fellow was James Corden.

He'd still make an incredible companion, far better than the boring threesome the 13th Doc is dragging around.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 am Hat-tip to Sterngard for his recommend of Netflix's "Lupin" -- just finished it.
It's only 6 episodes for the first season and the primary plot line is not resolved (and ends with a scary cliff-hanger).
I would suggest you watch it in the audio of your first language because it rolls with many flashbacks as the story unfolds and you need to pay attention to the visuals, not subtitles.
Heh, this post initially really confused me since I am used to anything labeled with 'Lupin' referring to 'Lupin the 3rd'. Kinda neat to see that this Netflix series and the manga/anime share a common root of a series of books from the turn of the century.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm Most recent good watch was The Dig on Netflix. Someone recommended I Care a Lot, and that's next on my list. I also want to watch Nomadland,but I have to sign up for Hulu first.
Snippppp
We watched this night before last. Frances McDormand is such a wonder. She’s not beautiful or glamorous in the Hollywood sense but she owns the screen.

This is not a feel-good movie. It’s a good movie but it left me unsettled. If hard times get rock hard, like if the only employer in town closes its factory, throws everyone out of the company-owned housing, and gives the zip code back to the USPS thereby disappearing the town forever, living a nomad life would be a consideration for me. Lots of old hippies in the film. Most of the extras are from the Nomad communities; this is their lifestyle. The closing credits lists them by name and state. I’m going to go back to the credits just to read the names.

These days, one paycheck missed or a catastrophic illness can throw a person right out of the mainstream. This might well be where they land.

Frances McDormand is fine. Truly.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:44 am
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm Most recent good watch was The Dig on Netflix. Someone recommended I Care a Lot, and that's next on my list. I also want to watch Nomadland,but I have to sign up for Hulu first.
Snippppp
We watched this night before last. Frances McDormand is such a wonder. She’s not beautiful or glamorous in the Hollywood sense but she owns the screen.

This is not a feel-good movie. It’s a good movie but it left me unsettled. If hard times get rock hard, like if the only employer in town closes its factory, throws everyone out of the company-owned housing, and gives the zip code back to the USPS thereby disappearing the town forever, living a nomad life would be a consideration for me. Lots of old hippies in the film. Most of the extras are from the Nomad communities; this is their lifestyle. The closing credits lists them by name and state. I’m going to go back to the credits just to read the names.

These days, one paycheck missed or a catastrophic illness can throw a person right out of the mainstream. This might well be where they land.

Frances McDormand is fine. Truly.
I don't think I've ever seen her in anything where she wasn't fine!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm Most recent good watch was The Dig on Netflix. Someone recommended I Care a Lot, and that's next on my list. I also want to watch Nomadland, but I have to sign up for Hulu first.
I Care a Lot is one of the funniest movies I've watched in ages. It's similar to a Coen brothers movie. I can't recommend it highly enough.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 am We've been watching the old/new Doctor Who. We're up to my fav, the Eleventh Doctor. Last night we watched one of my favorite episodes, The Lodger, where the Doctor rents a room from a delightful fellow I wished would have become a companion.

I didn't realize until last night that fellow was James Corden.

He'd still make an incredible companion, far better than the boring threesome the 13th Doc is dragging around.
The 10th doctor (David Tennant) is my fav. I've been enjoying the 13th doctor (Jodie Whittaker), too.

Doctor Who is one of the best series in tv history, in my opinion.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My reaction to vaccination #1 was to feel extra lethargic for three days. I watched way more TV than usual.

30 Coins
HBO Max
Spain
Subtitles

1 season 8 episodes will prolly be renewed for second season

This is a wild ride! It’s campy and Lovecraftian, a quest movie, horror flick, and a telenovella all rolled into one. The scenery is amazing. :j

The 30 coins are Pontius Pilate’s 30 pieces of silver. A cabal of Satanic Catholic priests has 29 and is looking for the 30th. Once reunited they will give the possessor unlimited power.
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

I loved the first episode of Lupin, but, by the second episode, it got too improbable for me. YMMV.

On Netflix, I have been watching Secret City (Australian series about a journalist uncovering international intrigue) and Occupied (a Norwegian series about a near-future occupation of Norway by the Russians).
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

LM K wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:19 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:40 pm Most recent good watch was The Dig on Netflix. Someone recommended I Care a Lot, and that's next on my list. I also want to watch Nomadland, but I have to sign up for Hulu first.
I Care a Lot is one of the funniest movies I've watched in ages. It's similar to a Coen brothers movie. I can't recommend it highly enough.
I am hoping something changes in "I Care A Lot" because so far it is so upsetting I'm not sure I can hang with it.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Kate520 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:14 pm
30 Coins
HBO Max
Great show, I enjoyed the hell out of it, I got a PM coming your way :)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

30 Coins is right up my alley. Subtitles, no so much. Lasted 10 minutes, and I really wanted to watch it.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:26 pm 30 Coins is right up my alley. Subtitles, no so much. Lasted 10 minutes, and I really wanted to watch it.
Sit back with a bottle of wine, a big one :) and just relax and go for it. I know you'll love it. After all we both dream of eldritch horrors :lol:

I mean we both like Lovecraft Country so we're of the same mindse....... "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:04 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:26 pm 30 Coins is right up my alley. Subtitles, no so much. Lasted 10 minutes, and I really wanted to watch it.
Sit back with a bottle of wine, a big one :) and just relax and go for it. I know you'll love it. After all we both dream of eldritch horrors :lol:

I mean we both like Lovecraft Country so we're of the same mindse....... "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Just can't sit in front of the TV without doing something else at the same time, reading, computer, beading, book. It's tough to follow subtitles that way. :lol:

Maybe I'll give it a shot. I think the scenery is supposed to be gorgeous. I love Spain. That might help.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Derry Girls, on Netflix, for the second time.

It’s set in Derry, Northern Ireland in the 1990s.

It’s one of those fast-paced shows where there is so much going on, and even though they’re speaking English it’s sometimes hard (for me, at least) to understand because of the accents and colloquialisms. I’m watching it again because I missed a lot the first time around.

It’s really funny. The writing is awesome, and the delivery is top-notch.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Watched Season 2 Episode 2 of “For All Mankind” last night.

It won’t win any awards for screenplay.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Criminal Minds has me hooked. I have copies of the FBI Standards for profiling. I've read Roessler, Douglas, Hazelwood and other profilers' books. This is a well-written tense drama that shows profiling in each episode, HOWEVER, it takes tremendous dramatic license by solving the case in each episode. The crime enactment scenes can be anxiety producing even for me.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I watched I Care A Lot. I don't want to give anything away, just recommend go ahead and watch until the end.

I also have used this thread for recommendations. I always like anything Stern suggests, also many others have suggested things that I really enjoy as well. Oh well. We will get this thread fleshed out again in no time. Like I said elsewhere - we are a prolific lot, the Boogle.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

We just finished The Lady and The Dale on HBO. It's a four-part mini series about the transwoman who promoted the three-wheeled Dale back in the 70s that was supposed to get 70 mpg. It was a con but there is so much more to Geraldine "Liz" Carmichael than that. Definitely worth the four hours. Especially the part about a transperson trying to stay safe in prison.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”