Social Media Matters

Volkonski
Verified:

Social Media Matters

Post by Volkonski »

Abbott Addresses Bill Prohibiting Social Media Sites From ‘Censoring Texans'

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/politics/te ... t_DFWBrand
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) and State Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola) are set to discuss a bill filed with the Texas Legislature that aims to "help prohibit social media companies from censoring Texans based on the viewpoints they express," the governor's office says.

According to the Texas Legislature, Senate Bill 12 would give Texans a way to get back online if a social media company bans or blocks their account based on their political or religious views.

Abbott said the bill aims to "prevent social media platforms from 'canceling conservative speech.'"

"Too many social media sites silence conservative speech and ideas and trample free speech. It's un-American, Un-Texan, and soon to be illegal," Abbott wrote in a tweet Thursday night.
https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB12/2021
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Social Media Matters

Post by raison de arizona »

Nobody is going to follow that. They'll just block Texans from their social media sites altogether. These Texans aren't nearly as important as they seem to think they are.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

covfefe wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:27 pm Nobody is going to follow that. They'll just block Texans from their social media sites altogether. These Texans aren't nearly as important as they seem to think they are.
They are important enough to have totally borked up history texts for the rest of the country.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:18 am They are important enough to have totally borked up history texts for the rest of the country.
And is the only state to secede twice over preserving slavery...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jeff Kosseff
@jkosseff
·
50m
This might be the most bonkers 230 proposal yet.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Then there is this:
oh jon.png
oh jon.png (63.84 KiB) Viewed 3118 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

If those at the Fogboz will excuse my profanity for this moment, and believe me as a once USMC infantryman and now Aviation Mechanic profanity is my first language...

Carlson is not a "Dick"...

He is properly called a "Douchecock"

TLR will admonish me in 3..2...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:48 pm If those at the Fogboz will excuse my profanity for this moment, and believe me as a once USMC infantryman and now Aviation Mechanic profanity is my first language...

Or as the waitress at one of my favorite restaurants used to put it. "What a douchenozzle!"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
 ! Message from: Foggy
ATTENTION:

This site is populated exclusively by grownups, and my kids knew all the bad words by the time they were 5 years old (but they also knew when they could say them and when they couldn't, because that's what I taught them instead of saying "Never use those words" because I'm not stupid. I said, "When you're out in the woods playing in the creek with your friends and there's no grownups around for a hundred yards in any direction, you can use those words all you want. But if there's any chance your mom could hear you, say "heck" and "darn" and like that.

Bottom line is, you can cuss all you want on Fogbow. There are times when nothing else will suffice, such as when discussing the Former Guy and the things he did and the people he employed. We're all old enough to survive some obscene language. I use it on occasion, sometimes on many occasions.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 am
Off Topic
 ! Message from: Foggy
ATTENTION:

This site is populated exclusively by grownups, and my kids knew all the bad words by the time they were 5 years old (but they also knew when they could say them and when they couldn't, because that's what I taught them instead of saying "Never use those words" because I'm not stupid. I said, "When you're out in the woods playing in the creek with your friends and there's no grownups around for a hundred yards in any direction, you can use those words all you want. But if there's any chance your mom could hear you, say "heck" and "darn" and like that.

Bottom line is, you can cuss all you want on Fogbow. There are times when nothing else will suffice, such as when discussing the Former Guy and the things he did and the people he employed. We're all old enough to survive some obscene language. I use it on occasion, sometimes on many occasions.
It is amazing how much I have cleaned up my language since January 20. But I still know all the words.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Through knowledge I somehow gained in my younger days, I've learned to not use those words in casual conversation. Bad habits are hard to break. I had to advise my wife's grandson (age 20) of that when we were having a family gathering with two kids under age 10. He also has a job where he has to explain to his customers how he fixes problems. He's come a long way since then. I don't know how he talks at his mom and dad's, but they should have been correcting him years ago.
Largo al factotum.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

The only words I banned on Fogbow (reminder to self, I haven't done this for the Born Again Fogbow) are the two words that refer to women by their lady bits, the four-letter "c" word and the four-letter "tw" word. I just think those are too demeaning for the ladies here whom I respect and admire.

For a while I banned the word "faggot" for the same reason, but I got some feedback from one of our distinguished non-hetero people who insisted on being able to use the word (and "fag" for short).

This morning I wrote something about spring arriving, and I said "the boy squirrels are chasing the girl squirrels around," and then left for my morning walk with ol' Wifehorn and my son William, and I suddenly thought, "Jeez, Foggy, you should have mentioned that some of the boy squirrels are chasing other boy squirrels and some of the girl squirrels are chasing other girl squirrels," because that happens and it's part of God's plan, if She exists and all.

Some days it's hard to keep up. :faint:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Yeah. I haven't had to troubleshoot equipment that used a travelling wave tube since my time in the Air Force.
Largo al factotum.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:19 pm This morning I wrote something about spring arriving, and I said "the boy squirrels are chasing the girl squirrels around," and then left for my morning walk with ol' Wifehorn and my son William, and I suddenly thought, "Jeez, Foggy, you should have mentioned that some of the boy squirrels are chasing other boy squirrels and some of the girl squirrels are chasing other girl squirrels," because that happens and it's part of God's plan, if She exists and all.
Your eyesight is better than mine. :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

qbawl wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:19 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:48 pm If those at the Fogboz will excuse my profanity for this moment, and believe me as a once USMC infantryman and now Aviation Mechanic profanity is my first language...

Or as the waitress at one of my favorite restaurants used to put it. "What a douchenozzle!"
No admonishment. My daddy was a USMC infantryman during WWII in the Pacific. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Zachary Petrizzo
@ZTPetrizzo
MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, speaking about his new social media site "FRANK," said influencers will automatically be given "millions" of followers due to the "reverse engineering" of the site. He added influencers will also "instantly" get followers if they get kicked off YouTube.
11:09 AM · Mar 23, 2021·Twitter Web App
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Apple to allow Parler back on the App Store.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/19/tech/app ... index.html

But, do they have a working platform, yet?
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

noblepa wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:03 pm Apple to allow Parler back on the App Store.

My new conspiracy is that Apple did this to mess with Lindell’s Frank. :lol: :lol:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

jemcanada2 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:28 pm
noblepa wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:03 pm Apple to allow Parler back on the App Store.

My new conspiracy is that Apple did this to mess with Lindell’s Frank. :lol: :lol:
I'm leaning towards the millions and millions of people trying to sign up on Frank are the ones who caused the twitter outage, too.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Got a diatribe from Gab’s CEO regarding Parler in mah emails. Parler is using Hive AI to block posts about, oh I dunno, plotting insurrections and whatnot I suppose.
Parler Bends The Knee To Big Tech

Today Apple announced that they would be allowing Establishment Oligarch-owned Parler back on the Apple App Store. This comes after Parler ousted their pro-free speech CEO and Founder John Matze, who claims that his 40% stake in the company was stolen from him. After removing Matze Parler implemented a “troll filter” to censor “trolling content,” whatever that means.

Bloomberg reported that Parler is working with third-party artificial intelligence software company Hive to automatically censor and remove content that Apple doesn’t like. Hive works with other Big Tech companies like Reddit to leverage artificial intelligence to censor content at scale.

Shortly after this news, conservative firebrand Dan Bongino announced on his show that he is “no longer involved in the day-to-day” of Parler, which left the company at the whims of Billionaire Oligarch Rebekah Mercer.

The same Mercer family behind the atrocious privacy nightmare of Cambridge Analytica. The same people who threw Milo under the bus. The same people who threw Steve Bannon under the bus. The same people who threw Parler Founder and Former CEO John Matze under the bus. The same people who threw President Trump under the bus.

► Show Spoiler
Gab stands alone in the market as the leader and home of free speech online. Not only was Gab’s app banned from both App Stores, but our entire Developer Account was banned from ever submitting apps to those stores ever again. So be it, we wear that as a badge of honor and it should be a sign to those of you reading this that we are and always have been serious about our mission.

Our mission is a simple one and has remained unchanged for almost five years now: we want everyone on this planet to speak freely on the internet without permission from Establishment Oligarchs.

We refuse to bend the knee to Big Tech and never will.

Andrew Torba
CEO, Gab.com
Jesus is King
Email as blog post here. Lots of stuff in there it’s hyperlinked if you are interested.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/09/busi ... msnbc.html
Brian Williams, the square-jawed news anchor laid low by a fabulism scandal who mounted a career comeback with a popular 11 p.m. talk show on MSNBC, announced on Tuesday that he would step down from his program after a five-year run and depart NBC News entirely at the end of the year.

The exit of Mr. Williams, whose contract is set to expire next month, comes amid a ratings decline in the cable news industry and restlessness among some of MSNBC’s star personnel. Rachel Maddow, the network’s top-rated anchor, is expected to refocus soon on projects outside her nightly prime-time show, although she has announced no formal plans.

“Following much reflection, and after 28 years with the company, I have decided to leave NBC upon the completion of my current contract in December,” Mr. Williams wrote in a statement on Tuesday. “I have been truly blessed. I have been allowed to spend almost half of my life with one company. NBC is a part of me and always will be.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

A short video talking about how fake social media and social media followers are.

Hic sunt dracones

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”